PDA

View Full Version : How Personally Do You Take What People Say To You On the Internet?

Jitters
08-24-2008, 10:29 PM
I think we all do at least a little whether we admit it or not, otherwise we wouldn't have little piddly arguments all the time.

Loppfessor
08-24-2008, 11:15 PM
I'll admit it...some things said on line have gotten under my skin a bit but in a way it's kind of fun. But if like one of my friends on here said something mean it would probably hurt cus I know them outside the BBMB

Pres Zount
08-25-2008, 06:22 AM
It depends on who is saying it, and what is being said.

Freebasser
08-25-2008, 06:40 AM
It's 'I couldn't care less', you stupid twat.

Drederick Tatum
08-25-2008, 06:59 AM
It's 'I couldn't care less', you stupid twat.

too right.
(http://beastieboys.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=82748&highlight=attn)

ToucanSpam
08-25-2008, 08:24 AM
The internet should never be taken seriously. What's the point? You won't ever meet the Freebassers or the DandyFops you encounter.

TAL
08-25-2008, 10:45 AM
I've met DandyFop.

Freebasser
08-25-2008, 10:47 AM
And I've met Freebasser.

What's your point, Patrick?

Echewta
08-25-2008, 11:01 AM
I only care what rirv says about me.

ToucanSpam
08-25-2008, 11:54 AM
I suppose that to a small degree some things certain people say can be taken personally.

Who is rirv?

jabumbo
08-25-2008, 12:02 PM
i take everything i read on the internet as complete fact

ToucanSpam
08-25-2008, 12:04 PM
i take everything i read on the internet as complete fact

Steelers suck.

beastieangel01
08-25-2008, 01:44 PM
for other forums, I don't really care I suppose because I never hung out with those people outside of the forum.

Here; a lot of us have been around a long time. Have met in real life. Have formed real life friendships and so on and so forth.

When those people you have met in real life bring shit up it's a little hard to ignore. The people I haven't met that have brought things up don't phase me though; they don't know me so what does it matter?

etc.

venusvenus123
08-25-2008, 01:50 PM
I suppose that to a small degree some things certain people say can be taken personally.

Who is rirv?

someone more interesting than you.

Myu-to
08-25-2008, 02:13 PM
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright before your hear them speak.

jabumbo
08-25-2008, 02:17 PM
son of a bitch! you're all right!

ToucanSpam
08-25-2008, 02:50 PM
someone more interesting than you.

You I also don't know/care about. There's a lotta empty uniforms clogging up this board lately.

Jitters
08-25-2008, 03:19 PM
This is proving all kinds of points :(

DeeJayZap
08-25-2008, 03:40 PM
i dont care at all because they dont know me in real life. unless its someone i know well for a really long time and theyre really close friends.

abcdefz
08-25-2008, 03:49 PM
Evvvvvvvvvvery now and then someone will say something that hits its mark, but generally I'm much less affected by something
someone posts on a message board than I would be in real life. I'm a fairly nice guy, and message boards bring out the worst in me,
so I kind of figure that's what goes on with some other people, too.

Guy Incognito
08-25-2008, 03:52 PM
. There's a lotta empty uniforms clogging up this board lately.

i dont understand what you mean:confused:

I have reacted badly a couple of times when i shoudnt have and i have learnt not to take it personally

camo
08-26-2008, 04:04 AM
The other day a guy cut in front of me on a mini round about so I beeped him. He stopped, leaned out of his window and proceeded to hurl abuse at me. I pulled over and got out of my car to have a little word with him and he shot off like a ferret up a drainpipe. If he had physically bumped into me in the street i'm sure he would have said sorry, but because he was 'safe' in his car he felt that he could step up to the plate.

Dorothy Wood
08-26-2008, 04:13 AM
I take things personally sometimes. depends on who says it and the intent.

I don't usually mean to make things personal when I insult people on the internet. unless I'm insulting toucanspam. I mean every word in that case.

Audio.
08-26-2008, 04:18 AM
see, the thing is, why do people call physical reality "in real life" in this way? What the fuck am I, the freaking tooth-fairy? Do you seriously think the internet is something like Dungeons and Dragons social field or some other virtual reality like VR.5 tv series?

So, basically to me its stating anyone communicating thru the internet, more acurately social networks, are nothing more than AIs with words that hold no real value, am I right?

fucking bogus. sounds like the stereotype of a child.

na§tee
08-26-2008, 04:19 AM
i and a lot of other people here have been members of this place for over ten years, so of course there are friendships that have more integrity than some others. i agree with audio. it's bullshit to say some of these friendships are not "real life". you're not all ones and zeros. if this place was a faceless virtual fad it would have died along with every tamagotchi i owned.

i don't care if people want to have a little disagreement, but sometimes it can get quite catty and personal. it is hard not to defend yourself against flat-out lies. i used to be of the opinion that if you knew the lies were lies yourself that should be enough, but no, you care if person X, Y or Z thinks.. whatever.

i have tried not to reveal so much in the past couple of years because i have become weary of people using your personal life as ammunition against you. there is also a little underbelly of bbmb gossip that seems to still exist among a handful of people who obviously IM amongst this community outside of the actual boards, which i don't really do, and i think that sort of fuels rumours and cements 'alliances'. lol alliances! most of us are in our mid twenties now, we shouldn't be digging for 'legitimate' reasons to hurt other people.

that kenny guido thread is still hilarious though. but i have no idea who he is, and it's all a bit of a larf, innit? :rolleyes:

Kid Presentable
08-26-2008, 04:24 AM
If you ignore the insults you have to ignore the praise, too.

Dorothy Wood
08-26-2008, 04:24 AM
beastiegrrl101 stopped into my work today on her way to somewhere else, true story.

internet!

camo
08-26-2008, 04:27 AM

well said (y)

Dorothy Wood
08-26-2008, 04:33 AM
well said (y)

you better ignore that, KP

Kid Presentable
08-26-2008, 04:39 AM
Ignoring you both.

*NIB*

camo
08-26-2008, 05:22 AM
school me up on *nib* please!

Kid Presentable
08-26-2008, 05:27 AM
"N.I.B." is a song released by British heavy metal band Black Sabbath. It first appeared as the fourth track on the band's 1970 self-titled debut album, Black Sabbath. The lyrics are in the first person from the point of view of Lucifer. Some listeners have claimed that the song is about Lucifer seducing the listener; however, lyricist Geezer Butler clarifies that "the song was about the devil falling in love and totally changing becoming a good person." (Quote from the 1992 documentary "The Black Sabbath Story: Volume One.").

The song is known for its being turned up loud in the ignoring of camo and Dorothea.

camo
08-26-2008, 05:36 AM
muchos grassy arse (y)

TurdBerglar
08-26-2008, 06:57 AM
see, the thing is, why do people call physical reality "in real life" in this way? What the fuck am I, the freaking tooth-fairy? Do you seriously think the internet is something like Dungeons and Dragons social field or some other virtual reality like VR.5 tv series?

So, basically to me its stating anyone communicating thru the internet, more acurately social networks, are nothing more than AIs with words that hold no real value, am I right?

yes

Jitters
08-26-2008, 07:40 AM

fucking bogus. sounds like the stereotype of a child.

So you take what people say on the internet to you seriously then?

Kid Presentable
08-26-2008, 07:41 AM
Shut the fuck up Jitters.

ToucanSpam
08-26-2008, 09:45 AM
i don't care if people want to have a little disagreement, but sometimes it can get quite catty and personal. it is hard not to defend yourself against flat-out lies. i used to be of the opinion that if you knew the lies were lies yourself that should be enough, but no, you care if person X, Y or Z thinks.. whatever.

most of us are in our mid twenties now, we shouldn't be digging for 'legitimate' reasons to hurt other people.

Agree and agree. It's ridiculous that after four years there's still a couple twenty-somethings who go out of their way to troll other people's posts. Then again, if you look at their posts it's also a reflection of their childish attitudes in the first place.

No, that wasn't about you Padster.

Also, Kid Presentable for President.

Jitters
08-26-2008, 10:46 AM
Shut the fuck up Jitters.

What? I wasn't trying to be smart. I wanted to know how he feels based on what he said.

Audio.
08-26-2008, 12:44 PM
moderately serious, depending in the situation. If we are joking then I laugh. If we are in a deep conversation then take the situation in seriousness. However, in an social network argument I ignore the comments or answer with some dumb response like, "meh". Just so that I can avoid having to deal with mind numbing, back and forth, fights that wont really matter anyways.

I'm just saying that social networks shouldnt be ruled out from being not "real life". After all, communication is pretty much what we use in "real life" as well.

Jitters
08-26-2008, 02:26 PM
When I typed "not more than real life" in the poll I didn't mean what some took it as. I just meant what happens to you when you walk away from the computer.

Randetica
08-26-2008, 04:36 PM
poor jitters seems to be the bbmb punching ball lately

ToucanSpam
08-26-2008, 04:38 PM
It doesn't make much sense, either.

Lex Diamonds
08-26-2008, 04:45 PM
Can you geeks not mention me in this thread please? Thanks.

ToucanSpam
08-26-2008, 04:48 PM
ROFLCOPTER GOES WHAT?

Kid Presentable
08-27-2008, 04:38 AM
What? I wasn't trying to be smart. I wanted to know how he feels based on what he said.

lol I was just mucking around

Jitters
08-27-2008, 03:55 PM
poor jitters seems to be the bbmb punching ball lately

Lately? ;)

BangkokB
08-27-2008, 03:59 PM
Savvier- Internets is Serious Bizness

Randetica
08-27-2008, 04:28 PM
Lately? ;)

*punch punch*

BangkokB
08-27-2008, 07:12 PM
I'm Offended that Jitters Stole My Capitalizing Act

If I see ~, -, or a combination of the two then Serious Business will Ensue

Fact: Home Invasion is my Religion

now lets listen to Gary Busey: THIS IS BRILLANT (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aw_1sgcSAkc&feature=related)