PDA

View Full Version : Is this a 'guy' thing, or is it a 'my husband' thing?

ms.peachy
09-01-2008, 03:58 PM
Example 1:

mr.P: Do we have any mustard?

me: It's in the fridge.

mr.P: I don't see it.

me: (picks up the milk, moves it aside) It's right here.

mr.P: Oh yeah, there it is.

Example 2

mr.P: Are we out of toilet paper?

me: It's on the shelf in the hall closet.

me: (pushes aside a stack of towels) Here's a whole new pack.

Example 3

mr.P: Do we have any glass cleaner?

me: In the cabinet under the sink.

me: (pushes aside a bottle of toilet cleaner) There.

Seriously. Is it all men, or just the one that lives in my house?

mate_spawn_die
09-01-2008, 04:08 PM
i do that a lot. just another non-observant human being.

Freebasser
09-01-2008, 04:16 PM
Ok then. While we're talking about gender stereotyping, let's try this peach:

Cashier: That will be £13.59, sir.

Man: Here you go *hands over exact change immediately*

Cashier: Thankyou sir. Here's your receipt. Have a good day.

OR

Cashier: That will be £376.99, madam.

Woman: Oh, right, sorry. *rifles through purse*

Cashier: No problem, take your time.

Woman: I know I have some coins here somewhere.

Cashier: *whistles quietly*

Woman: Just... one second.

Cashier: *taps feet*

Woman: Wait... oh no, that's a button. Erm... do you take credit cards?

Cashier: Yes, we do madam.

Woman: Oh, lovely. I won't be a minute. *continues to rifle through purse*

Cashier: *coughs*

Woman: Almost... erm... I'm sure I had my credit card on me. It must be in my other purse. *pulls out another purse* *rifles through purse*

*Queue behind woman growing impatient*

Woman: Ah, here we go. Oh, no, wait... that's a gift voucher. Erm...

Cashier: *draws breath*

Woman: Oh, HERE IT IS! Ohahaha, I'm such a fool!

Cashier: It's quite alright madam.

Woman: I'm ever so sorry, I've taken up all your time.

Cashier: Not a problem, madam.

Woman: Anyway, here we go *pops card in machine*

Cashier: If you'd just enter your pin number, madam.

Woman: Oh, er... I don't think I can remember it. Wait a minute, I think I have it written down on a lottery ticket *rifles through purse*

etc.

ms.peachy
09-01-2008, 04:19 PM
Ok then. While we're talking about gender stereotyping, let's try this peach:

I was not gender stereotyping. I was honestly asking if this was just a quirk of my own personal man, or a general trend, because I do not know - I grew up in a family of girls with a mom who was a single parent. But look where your mind went straight away, eh? V telling.

Freebasser
09-01-2008, 04:20 PM
Shouldn't you be in the kitchen?

Randetica
09-01-2008, 04:21 PM
maybe it reminds him of his childhood, mommy will come to help you!

na§tee
09-01-2008, 04:25 PM
i think freeb's just playing witcha, peachy ;)

re: your thread. hmm. i do not know. i think if we are looking for certain things sometimes our brain just makes us become BLIND to them. this always happens to me at about 0745 with my hairbrush. and my moisturiser. and my keys.

Loppfessor
09-01-2008, 04:28 PM
I think it's a guy thing....somehow whenever I have a woman staying with me or even when I am home visiting my mother or sisters I seem to lose the ability to find anything around the house on my own

milleson
09-01-2008, 04:43 PM
My husband does the same. As does my father. As does my (male) boss/adviser.

So from my perspective, it seems to be a guy thing.

abcdefz
09-01-2008, 04:46 PM
I dunno. I don't do that.

Maybe it's because guys tend to know the "right" way to do whatever, so they're looking for where they would put it rather than
where somebody else might.

hellojello
09-01-2008, 04:51 PM
He's just practicing what's otherwise known as 'The man look'. I don't think it's unique to your husband at all.

paul jones
09-01-2008, 05:35 PM
Example 1:

All of us.It's because we think of sex every 5 seconds.btw,have you seen my autographed G'day Joel picture of him in that tie' ?

TurdBerglar
09-01-2008, 06:07 PM
you ALWAYS ask a woman to find something ALWAYS.

remember looking for your shoes as a little kid? you and your father would be tearing the house apart looking for the god damn shoes before you had to leave for school. mom ALWAYS knew where your shoes were. she never had to tear the house apart.

Bob
09-01-2008, 06:13 PM
you ALWAYS ask a woman to find something ALWAYS.

remember looking for your shoes as a little kid? you and your father would be tearing the house apart looking for the god damn shoes before you had to leave for school. mom ALWAYS knew where your shoes were. she never had to tear the house apart.

it's because she hid them

TurdBerglar
09-01-2008, 06:16 PM
well

she "put them away"

rirv
09-01-2008, 06:20 PM
I think that is the problem. Women store things and put them away. I leave things out because I use them. Women are like squirrells.

TurdBerglar
09-01-2008, 06:22 PM
nut hoarders

rirv
09-01-2008, 06:23 PM
If they know what's good for them.

TurdBerglar
09-01-2008, 06:23 PM
like you'll keep your shoes under the couch becuase you put your shoes on at the couch and plus they're not in the way and no one can even see them. but someone will come along and put them on the shoe mat by the door.

THERE'S NOTHING TO SIT ON BY THE DOOR!

yeahwho
09-01-2008, 06:48 PM
Example 1:

mr.P: Do we have any mustard?

me: It's in the fridge.

me: (picks up the milk, moves it aside) It's right here.

Example 2

mr.P: Are we out of toilet paper?

me: It's on the shelf in the hall closet.

me: (pushes aside a stack of towels) Here's a whole new pack.

Example 3

mr.P: Do we have any glass cleaner?

me: In the cabinet under the sink.

me: (pushes aside a bottle of toilet cleaner) There.

Here is what I'm seeing as a guy and BTW Thank You!

Your hiding things Mr. P needs to use behind larger objects.

Then so you look smart, you're moving these larger objects that hide stuff as if your a master illusionist.

I never have seen things in this perspective before. I knew you guys were up to something. Very crafty.

mikizee
09-01-2008, 08:25 PM
Me and my old man are exactly the same.

My mother and then GF referred to it as a 'boy look'.

Dorothy Wood
09-01-2008, 10:48 PM
everyone I've dated has been fairly organized and kept things in certain places, so I never really had a problem. if anything, I'm the one who's like, "what? where?" however, my boss is like that. he can never find things. he also has ADD.

ms.peachy
09-02-2008, 02:19 AM
Your hiding things Mr. P needs to use behind larger objects.

Bullshit. I have heard this "hiding" thing line before. Here's the deal: shockingly, our cabinets and refrigerator and closets are more than 1 item deep, so everything cannot be in the front. Items used with greater frequency wil naturally rotate to the fore. The milk bottle gets taken out more than the mustard, so guess what? the milk bottle ends up in front.

Seriously, how did we manage to evolve beyond hunter/gather societies, if every time the boar ran behind a tree the men had to run back to the campfire to get the women to tell them where the hell it went because they couldn't see it anymore?

Randetica
09-02-2008, 06:34 AM
My mother and then GF

lol

mikizee
09-02-2008, 09:47 AM
heh heh heh... woops.

You all know what I meant.

Do you?

Hello?

Waus
09-02-2008, 09:51 AM
According to my Psych 101 book women have better memory for where objects are, they guess it's because women did more foraging than men in the formative stages of humanity.

Heck if I know. I can never find things I didn't put somewhere myself, no matter how obvious it is.

TurdBerglar
09-02-2008, 10:18 AM
wait

almost every fridge i've seen has a slot specifically for the milk on the door shevles. STOP PUTTING THE MUSTARD IN THE MILK SPOT.

jabumbo
09-02-2008, 10:37 AM
i think it really depends on where we are talking. when i was in my own apartment, i had no issues finding things, but when i am home, i have these problems sometimes. my dad has these problems all of the time though, so it is also a product of age.

cookiepuss
09-02-2008, 04:14 PM
Mr. Peachy is not alone...my ex...who I assumed until now was the most non observant man in the universe, use to do the same thing. he'd tell me we were out of something and i go look and there it would be.

is it a gender thing OR a relationship dynamic? perhaps it's relationship dynamic...if women like me and peachy are considered the "organizers of the homefront" then perhaps it's just that our mates become lazy because the expect us to have everything readily available to them.

yeahwho
09-02-2008, 05:22 PM
Bullshit. I have heard this "hiding" thing line before. Here's the deal: shockingly, our cabinets and refrigerator and closets are more than 1 item deep, so everything cannot be in the front. Items used with greater frequency wil naturally rotate to the fore. The milk bottle gets taken out more than the mustard, so guess what? the milk bottle ends up in front.

Seriously, how did we manage to evolve beyond hunter/gather societies, if every time the boar ran behind a tree the men had to run back to the campfire to get the women to tell them where the hell it went because they couldn't see it anymore?

Mr. P. has lost his foraging skills through modern marketing. He has been led to believe you are the food provider. (you admit your a feeder!) And I think you have gained some pretty high level insight into this,

So yeah. Your hiding things Mr. P needs to use behind larger objects.

I've seen this pattern emerge in different stages here at the yeahwho household. If I move some of the larger objects, smaller ones are behind the larger objects.

Mr. P. is going to catch on to you and you'll have to find some other way to trick him. Your crafty.

ms.peachy
09-02-2008, 05:23 PM
wait

almost every fridge i've seen has a slot specifically for the milk on the door shevles. STOP PUTTING THE MUSTARD IN THE MILK SPOT.

You have not seen my dumb-ass little dinky european style refrigerator.

I dream at night of big American refrigerators, I really do.:(