PDA

View Full Version : dogs and cats getting along together

Bob
09-08-2008, 07:04 PM
my apartment has a dog, and about two weeks ago, we got new roommates, and one of them has a cat that also now lives in the apartment. i love the dog, the roommates and the cat, they're all great, but the dog and the cat are not quite as fond of each other.

the cat is pretty much the aggressor here. the dog is very friendly, but he's also fairly large and reckless (he's a 3-4 year old german shepard/boxer/ridgeback/something mix), so whenever they cross paths there's always a bunch of stomping and scuffling and barking and hissing. they haven't actually fought yet or anything, it's just a lot of noise and taunting.

the dog sort of rushes forward and stomps his paws and falls back and barks now and then, but he's not out for blood, his tail is wagging the whole time, i don't think he would ever hurt the cat. he's just playing. but it looks fairly menacing from the cat's point of view, i guess. the cat sort of hisses and makes these weird yowling noises and its hair stands straight up and it swipes at the dog every time it comes close, and sometimes she rushes the dog and takes a swipe too (she's declawed thank god, or things could get real messy). it's only been about a week and a half, and they're a little better off now than they were the first day but it's still pretty irritating (the dog is a loud barker).

is there anyway to sort of expedite a truce between them? like i said, i'm pretty sure the cat's the aggressor here, sometimes she goes out of her way to antagonize the dog. i don't think the dog would do anything crazy if she let him get close, he doesn't bite or anything.

ToucanSpam
09-08-2008, 07:11 PM
There really isn't much you can do. Eventually the cat will realize the dog isn't going anywhere any time soon and it will mellow out. That or it will run away.

Kid Presentable
09-08-2008, 07:14 PM
If the dog mentions lebensraum, you may have to hold a WWE-style contract signing between the two. I dunno. I always wonder what it is that cats did to make dogs such a "time does not heal" culture. :(

ToucanSpam
09-08-2008, 07:23 PM
If the dog mentions lebensraum, you may have to hold a WWE-style contract signing between the two. I dunno. I always wonder what it is that cats did to make dogs such a "time does not heal" culture. :(

Those contract signings end with someone receiving a finishing move 100% of the time. So expect a piledriver from your cat.

Kid Presentable
09-08-2008, 07:28 PM
Depends on the stips. If the contract says they can't have any physical contact until this Sunday at 'Litterbox Lunacy', then there would probably be a run-in from an affiliated animal. Do you have a budgie with any partiality, Bob?

Bob
09-08-2008, 07:30 PM
If the dog mentions lebensraum

lol

he mostly just says "WOOFWOOOFWOOOFARRRARARWOOF"

Bob
09-08-2008, 07:30 PM
Depends on the stips. If the contract says they can't have any physical contact until this Sunday at 'Litterbox Lunacy', then there would probably be a run-in from an affiliated animal. Do you have a budgie with any partiality, Bob?

i had a budgie but it died

ToucanSpam
09-08-2008, 07:32 PM
Depends on the stips. If the contract says they can't have any physical contact until this Sunday at 'Litterbox Lunacy', then there would probably be a run-in from an affiliated animal.

lolz

Someone make that poster.

TurdBerglar
09-08-2008, 07:33 PM
just toss the cat out the window

no one will know

Kid Presentable
09-08-2008, 07:39 PM
i had a budgie but it died

If it was anything like Chris Benoit then they probably removed all its title reigns from the website and much controversy surrounds the use of its finisher, the seedbell stretch.

ToucanSpam
09-08-2008, 07:43 PM
If it was anything like Chris Benoit then they probably removed all its title reigns from the website and much controversy surrounds the use of its finisher, the seedbell stretch.

In re-released DVDs he has no entrance nor does he celebrate, the match just abruptly ends.

Suffice to sat the remastered ending of Wrestlemania XX is a tad confusing and leaves something to be desired.

Kid Presentable
09-08-2008, 07:59 PM
Unless the budgie is like an Undertaker-type character, with a storyline 'death'. The rumour on the dirtsheets is that the lights will go out at Litterbox Lunacy and a bunch of druids with flaming torches will form an entryway, and one druid will approach the ring carrying a sinister looking birdcage covered by a teatowel adorned with cryptic runes and evil symbols. It's quite likely. I can hear the Gregorian chants now.

Kid Presentable
09-08-2008, 08:00 PM
No need to thank us for the help btw, Bob. (y)

cookiepuss
09-08-2008, 08:46 PM
sounds like a job for the dog whisperer. I'm sure he has a website or something. ;)

Since cats are considerably less "trainable" than a dog, you guys will need to address the issue with the dog. The reason dogs are more trainable is that hey take their cues from humans on how to react and manuver about the world. The dog pretty much needs to be taught to ignore the cat.

However you end up setting the boundaries with the dog, the whole household needs to be consistent with the training. and it will take some time. you guys have to be the "pack leaders

yeahwho
09-08-2008, 10:05 PM
I had two cats (sisters) since they were kittens for two years before I went and adopted Rocky my 75 lb. English Pointer who is now a year and a half old.

It has taken the past year but they now get along and greet each other with civility when they go from room to room or inside/outside.

That first half of the year was all hissy growly jumpy time.

kaiser soze
09-08-2008, 10:05 PM
Eventually the dog will overstep it's boundaries and get clawed and will learn a lesson and adjust itself

unless the cat is declawed

Dorothy Wood
09-09-2008, 12:35 AM
the cats in my house lived with each other before, but they still don't really get along. they mostly play fight, but sometimes it gets nasty and loud. it's been about 3 months since they've been together (after about 8 months of being apart), and they seem a lot better. it seems like they want to be friends, but just won't be out of spite.

I think it just takes time for the cat to realize that the dog isn't really a threat. maybe set up some kind of scenario when the dog is distracted and blissful/playful with humans and it can see that it is not a threat. maybe that doesn't work, I'm not an expert. brrrghm

taquitos
09-09-2008, 12:42 AM
the shredder would make a soup out of the offending animal, and then laugh to himself whilst thinking about dining on it later in the evening.

P of R
09-09-2008, 10:35 AM
Declawing is sick.

paul jones
09-09-2008, 12:20 PM
YAY!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_48MXP7ACKs

taquitos
09-09-2008, 12:27 PM
this whole thing sounds like a disaster of biblical proportions

paul jones
09-09-2008, 12:30 PM
this whole thing sounds like a disaster of biblical proportions

or like the death star being blown to bits,if it had cats and dogs on it.no real cats or dogs in Star Wars though
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8XsJISbuPc&feature=related
except this cat,exept it was a Disney cash-in on the whole space thing

Bjork
09-09-2008, 06:39 PM
My little army of pugs love cats.

I on the other hand, hate cats.

They didn't have my genes.

I would kill a cat before they ever would.