PDA

View Full Version : Quinoa

fucktopgirl
09-11-2008, 09:46 AM
Anywabody eat this?

I eat this lots ans lots . I like it with zucchinis,green onions(tonnes of it),garbanzo beans and a little bit of cheese in it. Yummy!!

I use a chicken broth, salt, pepper, sesame oil, cayenne pepper to make the quinoa tasty.

What is your recipes?

MC Moot
09-11-2008, 10:35 AM
I haven't had it in ages (only sold at health food stores round here) but my Dad does it a little like this,Italian style:

Toasted Quinoa with Prosciutto

INGREDIENTS:

•1 tbsp unsalted butter (15 mL)
•1 tbsp olive oil (15 mL)
•1/2 cup white onion, finely chopped (125 mL)
•1 x shallot, finely chopped
•1 clove garlic, finely chopped
•1 cup quinoa, see Cook’s Note* (250 mL)
•1 tsp kosher salt (5 mL)
•3 cups water (750 mL)
•1/2 cup sliced prosciutto, julienned (125 mL)
•1 tbsp fresh thyme (15 mL)
•1 tsp lemon zest (5 mL)
•1/4 cup radicchio, chiffonade (60 mL)

DIRECTIONS:

1.Heat the butter and olive oil in a skillet.
2.Add the onion, shallot and garlic, cooking until translucent.
3.Add the quinoa and toast until golden, stirring to brown evenly.
4.Add the kosher salt.
5.Add 1 cup (250 mL) of water and simmer the quinoa until all the water is absorbed.
6.Add remaining 2 cups (500 mL) of water, one at a time, simmering until quinoa is tender.
7.Remove from the heat and stir in the prosciutto, thyme and lemon zest.
8.Sprinkle the radicchio chiffonade over top of the quinoa just before serving.

(y)

jackrock
09-11-2008, 11:08 AM
Carrots, kale, celery, soy sauce.

ms.peachy
09-11-2008, 02:46 PM
I love it, one of my favourite foods. I just make it like rice, mainly, maybe cooked with a bit of veg broth instead of plain water for a bit more flavour. Sometimes I make this Japanesey thing with akame seaweed but I don't remember the recipe off the top of my head and I am at a hotel now; I'll try to remember to find it when I go home in a few days.

jabumbo
09-12-2008, 09:28 AM
i never even heard of it, let alone eaten it.

whats it taste like?

fucktopgirl
09-13-2008, 11:28 AM
^Well, it taste really good :D but really if you like couscous, rice , you will like this grain. I don,t know how to describe the taste, you have to try it.
Like Mrs Peachy said, you can cook like rice: 2cups of water/ 1 cup of quinoa. I did try the red quinoa, the taste is more rich.

Thanks for the recipe Mc Moot, i will definitely try it!! :)

b-grrrlie
09-14-2008, 03:11 PM
I use it a lot instead of rice (raw rice takes too long to cook for my hungry stomach).
I usually boil it with veggie broth.
Last summer I grew some in my allotment. I got the seeds pretty late for the seasons so I don't think they grew big enough.
Also the way it grows made it difficult to divide the seeds from the rest products.
I saved the whole dried up plant and was gonna sow all the seeds for this season,
but was too busy in the spring to sow anything in time (didn't get my potatoes under ground until midsummer's day,
when you're supposed to start digging them up :rolleyes:....).

fucktopgirl
09-15-2008, 01:04 PM
^ :) At least you have the possibility to make a garden,I wish i could make one, in the city it is pretty hard.

Quinoa is the grain with most protein, maybe there is other but he is on the top of the list, so because i cut the meat a lot, i integrate this grain to my diet. And to tell you the truth, i feel more energized when i eat it.