PDA

View Full Version : Rate BURN AFTER READING

abcdefz
09-13-2008, 12:05 PM
Whaddya think?

I see it in a couple hours.

ToucanSpam
09-13-2008, 12:28 PM
Can you give us a non-spoiler review? I am considering seeing it but I'd like an outside opinion and you're usually decent for movie discussions. Kthanx!:)

Nygel
09-13-2008, 12:35 PM
For a one and a half long movie, it was fun. It wasn't great by any means however. It was worth my time and it was pretty funny. but you get almost the whole idea of it from the trailer. Some parts are actually kinda disturbing (that'd be a spoiler though, but ... damn)

I'd recommened it for a fun movie. it is entertaining.

abcdefz
09-13-2008, 12:40 PM
Can you give us a non-spoiler review? I am considering seeing it but I'd like an outside opinion and you're usually decent for movie discussions. Kthanx!:)

Kind words!

I'll try to hit the library after I see the movie. I've got an errand to run afterward near one of the branch libraries. Say, around 3:30
California time?

To be honest, the trailer doesn't do anything for me except for all the people involved. Reviews seem to be mixed by generally positive,
along the lines of a chuckle-filled trifle kind of thing. We'll see.

For what it's worth, I rate 'em roughly like this, depending on what day it is:

Fargo
Miller's Crossing
Blood Simple (original version)
The Big Lebowski
No Country for Old Men
Barton Fink
Raising Arizona
The Man Who Wasn't There
O Brother, Where Art Thou
The Hudsucker Proxy
Intolerable Cruelty
The Ladykillers

Yeah. Pretty much.

If that gives you any idea of my thinking.

abcdefz
09-13-2008, 12:41 PM
For a one and a half long movie, it was fun. It wasn't great by any means however. It was worth my time and it was pretty funny. but you get almost the whole idea of it from the trailer. Some parts are actually kinda disturbing (that'd be a spoiler though, but ... damn)

I'd recommened it for a fun movie. it is entertaining.

That's encouraging. (y)

abcdefz
09-13-2008, 05:05 PM
It wound up well.

I won't go into the plot itself here, because that's the whole movie, really.

The first half hour or so was pretty annoying because it's so "Coenesque" -- if some Guy Ritchie dude
had made this movie, it would be called out for so blatantly trying to be a Coen brothers movie and
failing badly. Rightly so. But it sets the plot in motion.

Then things start to gell, maybe because the actors are so determined to stick to their two-note
cliche, cartoon performances. Pitt's schtick suddenly starts to work, Clooney's aping doesn't look so
stupid, and so on.

Now things are clicking, and the clusterfuck of a plot gets funnier and funnier. Pitt's best, funniest
scene is almost wordless, and he has shades of characterization in there which are storytelling itself.
It's a fantastic scene and the payoff is huge.

JK Simmons is great in his two scenes. He and the other actor have basically expository dialogue,
but it's hilarious.

Worth a look. I was really not liking it for the first half hour and wound up walking out with a big smile.

7/10

jennyb
09-13-2008, 05:16 PM
I thought it was such a good movie. Not a 10 but definitely worth the time and money. I was embarrassed for laughing at some of these dark scenes. But then again - that's the brilliance of the Coen Bros for ya! (y) Brad Pitt was hilarity and Malkovich, genius.

8/10

QueenAdrock
09-13-2008, 10:04 PM
I thought it was pretty cute. The thing George Clooney made in the movie made me laugh my freakin' ass off. And then the woman's reaction to said invention made me laugh even harder. I'd give it 7/10.

BBboy20
09-13-2008, 10:09 PM
I thought it was pretty cute.I swear, a lot of women were describing it as that, especially for a black comedy.

Meh, the film was too awesome for a vote, rating, or surgical review.

...."MORON!"

YoungRemy
09-14-2008, 11:58 AM
so what did we learn?

abcdefz
09-14-2008, 12:13 PM
The thing George Clooney made in the movie made me laugh my freakin' ass off. And then the woman's reaction to said invention made me laugh even harder. I'd give it 7/10.

I busted a gut on that one. Good heavens.

abcdefz
09-14-2008, 12:13 PM
so what did we learn?

That was beautiful.

I also liked how overloud and busy Burwell's spy score was, too.

That moment in the closet -- oh, wow. And Malkovich on the sidewalk...

YoungRemy
09-14-2008, 12:38 PM
for me, it all clicked in that last scene in the CIA office. I mean it really hit at once. i just let out a gut busting chuckle and then the credits rolled...

Nygel
09-14-2008, 01:38 PM
idk if it was on purpose, but it seemed like the ending dialogue was like someone who saw the movie trying to explain what happened to someone else. thats what i thought when i saw that part.

abcdefz
09-14-2008, 03:47 PM
for me, it all clicked in that last scene in the CIA office. I mean it really hit at once. i just let out a gut busting chuckle and then the credits rolled...

idk if it was on purpose, but it seemed like the ending dialogue was like someone who saw the movie trying to explain what happened to someone else. thats what i thought when i saw that part.

I think that's why it sends people off so well. There's some old saying about how the ending is the movie the audience leaves with, and
this one does its job.

abcdefz
09-14-2008, 04:27 PM
Fargo
Miller's Crossing
Blood Simple (original version)
The Big Lebowski
No Country for Old Men
Barton Fink
Raising Arizona
The Man Who Wasn't There
Burn After Reading
O Brother, Where Art Thou
The Hudsucker Proxy
Intolerable Cruelty
The Ladykillers

Dharma
09-14-2008, 05:52 PM
Brilliantly executed!

8/10

b i o n i c
09-14-2008, 06:55 PM
MY NAME IS IN THE CREDITS, YEAH IM AWESOME

at least it better be :o

DandyFop
09-14-2008, 11:56 PM
Bleh bleh bleh. Boring, forgettable. I didn't give two shits about anything or anyone.