PDA

View Full Version : Elbow

Caribou
09-15-2008, 07:02 AM
Damn right they won the Mercury Prize!

The Seldom Seen Kid is one of the best albums of the year, probably elbow's best album to date and Guy Garvey has the most beautiful voice I've ever heard on a grumpy drunk mancunian.

Their live-shows are also goosebump creatingly beautiful, and I hope to be seeing them next month when they'll be touring through The Netherlands.

So anyone? Opinions, favourite albums, favourite songs etc?

I love 'Cast of thousands' and 'fugitive motel' in particular as it reminds me of driving through the british countryside. 'Leaders of the free world' rocks like a mofo... ooooh lovelove!

RoryMC
09-15-2008, 08:01 AM
There's something about Elbow that never seems to keep me interested.

They have a couple of good songs and I must admit that the Seldom Seen Kid is actually quite good but I can't see myself listening to it many times in the future.

I saw them live when Cast of Thousands was released and had a long, pissed-up conversation with Guy backstage at Glastonbury. He is a lovely fellow, so I am pleased it's gone to a genuine, hard-working band.

British Sea Power still should have won, though.

Waus
09-15-2008, 10:01 AM
I loved Leaders of The Free World! "Station Approach," "Forget Myself," and the title track were all great. I have to agree that they are kind of a singles band though, and although it doesn't seem like they do it intentionally, I think some of their songs really sound like filler.

I'm also a huge fan of "Coming Second" and a few other songs whose names escape me off of Asleep in the Back.

Guy Incognito
09-15-2008, 03:02 PM
Before this album the only things i knew by them were the live lounge covers

One Thing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gf-tx3JeDog&feature=related)

I have heard this new album and i can see why they are successful but i just find a lot of it a bit meh. Guy garvey has done loads of stuff on xfm and i like him and i like the idea of Elbow, but i just cant get excited about them.

Freebasser
09-15-2008, 04:30 PM
I own all of their albums, but am seldom in the mood to listen to them. They're talented alright, just not very easy to listen to.

camo
12-01-2008, 04:42 AM
I've been working
On a cocktail called
"Grounds For Divorce"

I love that lyric.

Waus
12-01-2008, 03:04 PM
I've been working
On a cocktail called
"Grounds For Divorce"

I love that lyric.

Dude, I was listening to that song twice a day for about 2 weeks last month. Great stuff. (y)