PDA

View Full Version : How do I stop me from continually bidding on records on ebay everyday?

mickill
09-19-2008, 03:19 AM
I've lost all control. Help me.

signed,

continually bidding on records on ebay everyday

Matt
09-19-2008, 03:23 AM
You don't need help. Just throw more money at the problem, and you'll become numb to it.

Yorkshire~Rose
09-19-2008, 03:25 AM
Click on change password.
Smush your head on the keyboard.
Save it.

Sorted.

mickill
09-19-2008, 03:28 AM
No seriously. I need help. Not yours specifically, but some help from someone qualified to offer it to me. Not necessarily in a professional sense. Just someone who's opinion I value to some degree. Or not even. Just someone to tell me I have nice legs. Someone sexy. Somebody that gets me. And is hot.

mickill
09-19-2008, 03:30 AM
Click on change password.
Smush your head on the keyboard.
Save it.

Sorted.

I tried that already. I guessed the new password. fghj

Yorkshire~Rose
09-19-2008, 03:31 AM
I tried that already. I guessed the new password. fghj

:D

Dorothy Wood
put your computer in the freezer.

mikizee
Purchase powersnipe.

You won't stop bidding on records, but at least it will save you money.

Matt
09-19-2008, 03:34 AM
Well, I can't help you. I have the same problem.

mickill
09-19-2008, 03:36 AM
So like, has nobody seriously ever been confronted by this particular sect of demons before? Surely I'm not the first person to have fallen victim to the evil temptress that is ebay.

What's powersnipe a band or something? Are they any good?

mikizee
09-19-2008, 03:36 AM
It amazes me when people bid on items that aren't due to finish in days.

WHY????

All you are doing is raising the price of the item, up and up. Leave it alone, people. Don't bid til the last minute.

mikizee
09-19-2008, 03:38 AM
Powersnipe is a webtool. You paste in the auction number, and the maximum you want to bid. It then bids on your behalf 2 seconds before the auction finishes, so as long as your maximum bid is high enough you will win it every time.

No more bidding wars.

Google it.

rirv
09-19-2008, 03:41 AM
Turn to drink.

mickill
09-19-2008, 03:46 AM
If I'm this out of control when I'm sober, I really don't want to see what kind of debt I'm capable of incurring while inebriated.

mickill
09-19-2008, 03:47 AM
Powersnipe is a webtool. You paste in the auction number, and the maximum you want to bid. It then bids on your behalf 2 seconds before the auction finishes, so as long as your maximum bid is high enough you will win it every time.

No more bidding wars.

Google it.

But your posts negate one another. Because that's exactly what these douchebags do, they bid 7 days in advance and enter maximum bids that exceed the actual value of the albums right away and some other dick comes along and outbids him and so forth. But I hear you.

mikizee
09-19-2008, 03:56 AM
Then they definitely are douchebags, and have no idea what they are doing, except they know how to empty their wallets real good.

The 12 months that I had powersnipe I never lost an auction, and got everything super cheap.

So ya know, whatever.

mate_spawn_die
09-19-2008, 04:12 AM

WHY????

All you are doing is raising the price of the item, up and up. Leave it alone, people. Don't bid til the last minute.

I KNOW! i hate that shit.

i've lost 2 very important items the last 2 times beacuse i was outbid the last 7 or so seconds.

does anyone have a vintage motorcycle jacket size 34? it's the last thing i need for my ramones uniform... i need one before winter damnit :mad:

Adam
09-19-2008, 05:43 AM
I used to buy records non-stop - not sure why I stopped. I think the bank stop authorising payments because there was no money in there.

100% ILL
09-19-2008, 07:18 AM
There is absolutely nothing you can do,like it or not you have been taken over by it. It's a problem that will only exacerbate itself. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$........................!!!!!!

And when it's finally over you'll be like, I wonder how much I can get for these records on e-bay to support my new hobby.:D

Fern
09-19-2008, 07:20 AM
I've lost all control. Help me.

signed,

continually bidding on records on ebay everyday

Just realize that records are an obsolete media form and stop being a hipster queer.............

Bob
09-19-2008, 07:58 AM
start by bidding on records on ebay every two days, and then next week, every three days, and then bam

adam_f
09-19-2008, 08:04 AM
I actually had this problem for awhile, actually the exact same problem because I bid of records or cds or dvds or whatever I could. I finally recognized I might want to stop when I went to the ATM to get check my balance and it said I owed the bank money, like 37 bucks or something. I stopped right then and there because I had school to pay for and I actually sold a bunch of the records back and recouped quite a bit of the money I lost.

Just remember you have a family now and maybe when you were single you could've spent your savings on records, but now your savings goes towards your family's happiness. Sounds corny, yeah, but I had to prioritize too and school came first. I haven't been on ebay in ages because it's such an alluring temptress, and I don't know how expensive the records you're buying are, but even if they're only a couple bucks, that's a couple bucks that could go towards some family business.

That was probably all common sense but it's what I had to do. I had to prioritize.

mickill
09-19-2008, 10:25 AM
As usual, adam_f ends up being the voice of reason here.

mickill
09-19-2008, 10:30 AM
Just realize that records are an obsolete media form and stop being a hipster queer.............

Next you'll tell me that newspapers and am radio are obsolete too. smd

Knuckles
09-19-2008, 11:39 AM
Just change the delivery address to mine.

ericlee
09-19-2008, 11:48 AM
everytime you have the urge to buy a record while surfing ebay, find things for your kids instead.

Or buy singalong records and sing your favorites with your kids.

Fern
09-19-2008, 12:12 PM
Next you'll tell me that newspapers and am radio are obsolete too. smd

No. Newspapers and am radio have not been replaced effectivelyto the extent tht records have been. It's like comparing apples and oranges.

It's like saying, "oh, instead of buying a car, i'll just by that horse and buggy over there."

NoFenders
09-19-2008, 12:14 PM
I wish I could help, but I have the same problem. Only with toy cars. :o

:)

AceFace
09-19-2008, 12:54 PM

wow.

mickill, i have the same problem, just mine is going to the record store too much and blowing a wad on wax.

taquitos
09-19-2008, 02:57 PM
suicide

mickill
09-19-2008, 03:18 PM
No. Newspapers and am radio have not been replaced effectivelyto the extent tht records have been. It's like comparing apples and oranges.

It's like saying, "oh, instead of buying a car, i'll just by that horse and buggy over there."

Pretty much all the content from any newspaper can be found online, and typically in more up to date form. And apart from dedicated traffic reporting and the occasional interesting radiovangelist shows, AM radio serves little purpose.

Regardless, that's besides the point because I never stopped buying vinyl to begin with, and have contributed extensively to the sales of CDs as well anyway. And I have a car. So there.

Bob
09-19-2008, 06:59 PM
wow.

mickill, i have the same problem, just mine is going to the record store too much and blowing a wad on wax.

i just use tissues

cosmo105
09-19-2008, 07:27 PM
god damnit bob, you always beat me to it.

Bob
09-19-2008, 07:28 PM
that's what she said

cosmo105
09-19-2008, 07:54 PM
DAMN, BOB! DAMN!

adam_f
09-19-2008, 10:41 PM
So I help my real advice helped.

bigfatlove06
09-19-2008, 10:54 PM

WHY????

If the item is really rare or specialized I tag it with a bid (usually the minimum) so that people I know who are likely to bid on it that know me know that I have "first dibs". If I saw something on ebay that you had placed a bid on I would email you to see if your max was more than mine. If you tell me your willing to pay more than I am then I leave it alone. If you aren't honest about what you would be willing to pay and lose the auction for less than what I would've paid you don't get a courtesy email anymore... Also, if you are busy and can't be there for the end of the auction, there isn't anything wrong with saying I will pay $60 but not a penny more, and seeing if anyone else wants it that bad...

P.S. How is your collection coming along RE: PM

bigfatlove06
09-19-2008, 11:01 PM
But your posts negate one another. Because that's exactly what these douchebags do, they bid 7 days in advance and enter maximum bids that exceed the actual value of the albums right away and some other dick comes along and outbids him and so forth. But I hear you.

The dick with the highest bid is the dick with the record you wanted. Is he a dick because had more money to spend on a record than you did or because it was worth more to him than to you. The "actual value of the album" is exactly what the buyer is willing to pay for it.

Bob
09-19-2008, 11:15 PM
DAMN, BOB! DAMN!

that's what she said!

i wish......

paul jones
09-20-2008, 02:07 AM
I love blowing all my wages on e bay(y)

RobMoney$
09-21-2008, 02:38 AM
Are we talking Beastie vinyls or just random bands?

I used ebay to track down a lot of Beastie stuff I knew I'd probably never find and I usually paid top dollar for it. Now I find it much more fun and a lot cheaper to just go digging for stuff myself at stores. I just bought a mint copy of "King of Rock" today for 3$. I usually go "digging" about once a month on a Saturday with a friend of mine. Since I started doing this instead of ebaying, I've gotten my vinyl spending under control. I reveal my record store locations to no one.

No one I tell you.

Adam
09-21-2008, 03:49 AM
I reveal my record store locations to no one.

No one I tell you.

I know where they are - different stores and whore houses in Philadelphia

Documad
09-21-2008, 03:30 PM
The only way to stop is to quit visiting Ebay. I have a lot of new and old vinyl -- more than 1000 albums. I ALWAYS find something I could use that is a pretty good deal, even if it's just a back up copy of something I already have. But it's still too much money when you add it all up.

The other thing is to stay out of record stores.

I went to the record store today for the first time in a month. I spent over $400 on vinyl albums (and tickets to a few local shows). :o

yeahwho
09-21-2008, 04:05 PM
One Word

Bongos