PDA

View Full Version : When you get to work - how soon after do you start working?

Adam
09-23-2008, 02:32 AM
I've been monitoring this for a while - my job is stat based and I can do nearly 2 X my expected hourly rate so it gives me time to chill in the morning.

Its normally about 90 minutes before I start work - sometimes just 75ish but always over an hour!

Do others do the same? or do you love your job/company/country/self so much that you start work straight away?

Matt
09-23-2008, 03:02 AM
i wish I could get away with that. I'm in a crappy pre-graduation shithole supermarket job. i have to start work immediately after I get there. sometimes i get a few minutes before my boss tells me what I need to do, but thats it.

:(

ms.peachy
09-23-2008, 03:14 AM
When I worked 'at work', I would generally get down to it roughly 10 minutes in - after I'd hung up my jacket, made a cup of tea and said good morning to folks. Unless there was some juicy gossip going and everyone was having a chin wag, in which case it might be another few minutes over a cuppa. But I really like my work a lot, so I don't ever really feel like 'oh boo, I have to work now'. Now that I work pretty much entirely from home, it's all so much more fluid. I get up, check some emails whilst my kid has her breakfast, then get her off to nursery, come back and do a bit of work/a bit of net surfing for a bit (like wot I is doing right now innit), then in a bit go have a shower, tidy up the house, come back and work for a hile, then have a snack and so on throughout the day.

Audio.
09-23-2008, 03:47 AM
sounds like my mama's job routines back when she was a loan officer.

camo
09-23-2008, 05:11 AM
I come in, start the mac, get out my marker pens and put the Kettle on, journey down to the canteen for a bite to eat, bring it back to my desk and crack on with work. Between 9 and twelve and 3 and 5 are my most productive hours.

Yorkshire~Rose
09-23-2008, 06:36 AM
I'm due to start at 8.30am but usually get down to proper work around 8.45after i've checked my personal email, had a quick look at the BBC news website and here.

Adam, what do you do in that hour before starting work?

Adam
09-23-2008, 06:54 AM
About 50 cups of coffee, check comic websites, talk to people, bitch about working for a living, make another 50 cups of coffee.

Randetica
09-23-2008, 08:02 AM
i get up at 7:30am every morning without having a work

rirv
09-23-2008, 08:07 AM
I only work 10-12 hours a week, so I'm pretty much on it whenever I'm at work. But then my work is easy, well payed, outdoors and fun. :cool:

Matt
09-23-2008, 08:10 AM
I couldn't imagine working from home. I'm not that much of a shut in, I need some place to go everyday, even if it's just to work.

Bob
09-23-2008, 08:11 AM
nobody goes right to work, you never see faxes marked "9:15 AM". you come in and dick around for a while, stare at the picture, notice there's a duck in it. 9 years you've been here, you never noticed the duck before.

ms.peachy
09-23-2008, 08:17 AM
I couldn't imagine working from home. I'm not that much of a shut in, I need some place to go everyday, even if it's just to work.

I still have places to go everyday. The park, the library, the post office, the supermarket, playgroups, classes, etc. I imagine if you don't have a kid though it's slightly harder work to get yourself up and out, and not just stay in your pajamas all day.

Matt
09-23-2008, 08:20 AM
I still have places to go everyday. The park, the library, the post office, the supermarket, playgroups, classes, etc. I imagine if you don't have a kid though it's slightly harder work to get yourself up and out, and not just stay in your pajamas all day.

True, true. I probably would stay in my pajamas all day.

you're a much more responsible person than I (y)

Loppfessor
09-23-2008, 08:22 AM
I get in between 720 and 730... while I eat my breakfast I check up on the interweb...here, my bank account, various sports sites, check my e-mail and then start working

hitmonlee
09-23-2008, 08:45 AM
i have a new job so i get in a few minutes early to faff around so i pretty much start on time. not that i work at full steam though.

Randetica
09-23-2008, 09:05 AM

i wish i could work from home but i dont want to phone sex or be a human spammer, anything else would be ok

AceFace
09-23-2008, 09:12 AM
i got here at 9am this morning and i'm still catching up on personal emails and BBMB.

usually i fuck off for and hour or so before starting work. as long as i get my work done, my boss could care less what i'm doing...

TAL
09-23-2008, 09:18 AM
I only work 6 hour days, so when I get to work the others are having a coffee break which I join in on.
When I'm really lucky it can take 45 minutes before I start doing something.

Adam
09-23-2008, 09:20 AM
i got here at 9am this morning and i'm still catching up on personal emails and BBMB.

usually i fuck off for and hour or so before starting work. as long as i get my work done, my boss could care less what i'm doing...

Yeah, when I've had staff under me I [stomp hard] always said to them that as long as you do your work, I don't give a sh!t what you do as long as it doesn't hurt any1 else, offensive or illegal.

milleson
09-24-2008, 05:31 PM
To heck with all ya'll. I start working the minute I arrive. I have an hour+ commute, so I usually can't wait to get out of my car and get down to business.

Dorothy Wood
09-24-2008, 06:17 PM
depends, sometimes I start working on things immediately, sometimes like this morning, I start working on things about 45 minutes in.

funk63
09-24-2008, 08:03 PM
i wish i could work from home but i dont want to phone sex or be a human spammer, anything else would be ok

I use to be THE guy to call if you needed a quick phone sex sesh.

mate_spawn_die
09-24-2008, 11:34 PM
depends on how much work i have... how fast i wanna get done... or how much i want to milk it.

all depends on my mood really...

tonight i wanna get done early and get the fuck outta here.

Randetica
09-25-2008, 08:07 AM
I use to be THE guy to call if you needed a quick phone sex sesh.

guess i was the one who made you rich

Waus
09-25-2008, 10:15 AM
nobody goes right to work, you never see faxes marked "9:15 AM". you come in and dick around for a while, stare at the picture, notice there's a duck in it. 9 years you've been here, you never noticed the duck before.

Hahaha, that made me laugh so hard. It's just so out of context - I googled to see if it was from a movie I missed or something. Whether it is or not, some guys on the jeep forum said similar stuff over this (http://homepage.mac.com/thejafe/.Pictures/Wet%20Okole/DSC00293.JPG) picture.

jabumbo
09-25-2008, 10:46 AM
well, i get into the office a few minutes before 7am, and outside of one other guy, most of the other people aren't in until 8-830, and when the boss is around, he doesn't come in until at least 930.

so usually i end up just lazing around until a few minutes before people start to come in, but that's because often times i have enough of the work done that i can complete it by the end of the day and can wait til the next day to get something new off the boss.

this week though, I've spent about 5 of my 8 hours each day not even attempting to work because its just that slow

Adam
09-25-2008, 11:01 AM
well, i get into the office a few minutes before 7am, and outside of one other guy, most of the other people aren't in until 8-830, and when the boss is around, he doesn't come in until at least 930.

I think that is the reason why I am so lazy before starting work - I get in around 7am - waaaay before any1 else attempts to get here.

hellojello
09-25-2008, 11:03 AM
Well i get to work, turn on my pc, log in, click the other programs i run to make them load, go and get my coffee, every things loaded, so i start work.
short answer? About 5 minutes.