PDA

View Full Version : SNL Season 34...

MC Moot
09-23-2008, 01:51 PM
Anyone faithful to the show?...the first 2 episodes have been horrid…not even all the political fodder out there for material has made a difference…Tina Fey as Palin was amusing…but the skits have been dreadful,the cast lousy…with the exception of Fred Armisen who’s the most talented player the show has seen in years…the musical guests,well blah,blah,blah…not even the digital shorts have been decent…nor the guest monologues…without Weekly Update it would be unredeemable…this may be the year I give it up, if it doesn’t pick up…and the hosts…Anna Farris this week...who the fuck is Anna Farris?…they better pull in Alec Baldwin,Steve Martin or Christopher Walken to do their yearly bail out or I’m gonna tune out…:rolleyes:

Documad
09-23-2008, 01:58 PM
I wonder how old their average viewer is.

MC Moot
09-23-2008, 02:03 PM
^ 30 plus at least...

Dharma
09-23-2008, 04:06 PM
I see SNL evolving again, probably next season.

Poehler is leaving, quite a few of them have moved into feature films the past year ... I see them bailing as well.

Phelps opening was painful to watch.

Phantom Menace
09-23-2008, 04:17 PM
They have some problems grasping the comedy sketch parameters. This has been an ongoing problem I think forever. The fake news update is usually money, the political thing they did with McCain last Saturday was seriously flawed and smart folks (who you want to watch) got it within 10 seconds, instead of going for the jugular they lamed it like there is some sort of responsibility for comedy.

Cut loose, rip it up, take names and kick ass! Funny ='s edgy, risky and controversial.

The very best thing they could do right now is rip the main stream media's bias reporting. Then throw in a few culture freak shows. I don't know, it seems easy, doesn't it? How come they suck so bad?

Plus get some fucking rock and roll bands to play. Live dangerously.

Loppfessor
09-23-2008, 04:26 PM
I can honestly say I haven't watched a new episode of that show in like 10 years...Tina Fey could get it though grrr

Dharma
09-23-2008, 04:30 PM
I like Anna faris ... She is weird and quirky.

Matt
09-23-2008, 05:22 PM
Fred Armisen, Bill Hader, and Will Forte have been the best people they've had on there recently, though I have no idea if the last two are still there. I havent watched the newer episodes.

Some shows can last a long time and never get old, like Sesame Street. SNL is wearing out it's welcome.

MC Moot
09-29-2008, 01:29 PM
Well that’s 3 up and 3 down…at least this past weekends show went towards using the strengths inherit to the show…Darrel Hammond was as usual awesome as Cheney and Billy Clinton,always’s a sure bet…Tina Fey as Palin recreating the Katie Coric interview was wicked good laughs,even though she apparently didn’t want to return to do it…but still not a decent non-politick’n sketch bit in the lot…and “Duffy” was as pleasing as listening to a alley cat scrap…at least “The Killers” are up next weekend…

skinnybutphat
09-29-2008, 02:55 PM
The guy from Goodburger is on SNL.

What do you expect?

MC Moot
09-29-2008, 03:02 PM
^ya mean Fat Albert?...cause yeah Keenan Thompson is terrible, grins his way through most bits…as a matter of fact this past episode had another episode of his reoccurring “Deep House Dish” sketch…which I can’t fathom…it’s never been funny not even remotely so…:rolleyes:

Matt
09-29-2008, 03:04 PM
The guy from Goodburger is on SNL.

What do you expect?

You didn't just put down Good Burger, right?

OH, TELL ME you didn't just put down Good Burger. :mad:

skinnybutphat
09-29-2008, 03:18 PM
^ya mean Fat Albert?...cause yeah Keenan Thompson is terrible, grins his way through most bits…as a matter of fact this past episode had another episode of his reoccurring “Deep House Dish” sketch…which I can’t fathom…it’s never been funny not even remotely so…:rolleyes:

Wow, you stayed long enough to see his name in the credits?

Nygel
09-29-2008, 03:31 PM
the one with james franco wasnt half bad. Agent 420 was great.

TurdBerglar
09-29-2008, 04:00 PM
this show has been straight horrible since the mid 90's

ToucanSpam
09-29-2008, 04:23 PM
They just need a stronger cast. They've got some pretty funny players such as Andy Samburg, Bill Hader, Seth Myers and Fred Armisen. Unfortunately the female presence on the show is luke warm at best. And for the record, Keenan Thompson is hit/miss. The skit he did with Anna Faris on the boat was alright.

My only suggestions would be get some better musical guests, invite older members back to host more often, strengthen the female contingency on stage, and maybe scale back the use of Digital Shorts. Instead of trying to squeeze one off every week, maybe keep it to one a month so we get quality.

MC Moot
09-29-2008, 04:29 PM
My only suggestions would be get some better musical guests, invite older members back to host more often, strengthen the female contingency on stage, and maybe scale back the use of Digital Shorts. Instead of trying to squeeze one off every week, maybe keep it to one a month so we get quality.

Yep,the digital shorts have been on a rapid downslide...I'm thinking the collaboration with Robert Smigel and the "T.V Funhouse" may have come to an end...but they were one of the strongest facets in the past few years...

Burnout18
09-29-2008, 07:15 PM
I think people used to look forward to, at least, the weekend update.... but why do you need that now? You can get your fake news with the daily show.

Documad
09-29-2008, 07:58 PM
^ 30 plus at least...

I don't think so. I'd have guessed younger--too young to drive. But whatever age they are, they don't reside in my universe.

I don't know anyone who watches SNL. I'm sure it's been over 15 years since I saw a whole show. I taped it once to fast forward to the musical performance when Beck was on but even that was ages ago.

I just checked their episode guide. I was surprised at how many decent musical acts they've had on during the past 15 years when I wasn't watching. There are 2-3 a year. I don't think I've watched an entire episode since Phil Hartman was on.

Myu-to
09-29-2008, 07:59 PM
Is Eddie Murphy still on there?

MC Moot
09-30-2008, 09:07 AM
I don't think so. I'd have guessed younger--too young to drive. But whatever age they are, they don't reside in my universe.

I don't know anyone who watches SNL. I'm sure it's been over 15 years since I saw a whole show. I taped it once to fast forward to the musical performance when Beck was on but even that was ages ago.

I just checked their episode guide. I was surprised at how many decent musical acts they've had on during the past 15 years when I wasn't watching. There are 2-3 a year. I don't think I've watched an entire episode since Phil Hartman was on.

you may be right actually...I started watching with my pops when i was about 10...and then in my teenage years I would watch on Saturday night itself...I've been taping it for the past 10 years or so as I'm usually up to other stuff or even crashed during that period of time...but it's a little like comfort food and that's why I go back I suppose...that and tradition...it's fun to watch with friends after you've rolled in from a pub stint as well...

MC Moot
09-30-2008, 09:10 AM
Is Eddie Murphy still on there?

see now theres an idea to stir it up...if Eddie was to come back and host...even though he sucks on celluloid,so very badly...if Loren Michaels and Eddie could make peace with each other there may just be a chance for the Israelis and Palestinians to make good...

MagicSpork
09-30-2008, 10:26 AM
Two words...."Shmits Gay"....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKTJrBR22Cw

MC Moot
09-30-2008, 10:32 AM
Toonces Without a Cause... (http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=BQkL9LpvKl0&feature=related)

beastieboysbaby
09-30-2008, 01:03 PM
Ok first of all, all the GOOD PEOPLE ARE GONE!!!! :mad: wheres jimmy fallon? and tina fey? (n):(

MC Moot
09-30-2008, 01:22 PM
I was not a Fallon fan,not at all...he's a lame actor and his post-show career say's it all...(n)

NoFenders
09-30-2008, 01:43 PM
Jimmy Fallon is when I stopped watching. Then again, I really only watched and enjoyed from ages 10 to 17.

:cool:

beastieboysbaby
09-30-2008, 05:08 PM
I LOVE JIMMY FALLON!!!!!!!!!!!

Matt
09-30-2008, 06:48 PM
I LOVE JIMMY FALLON!!!!!!!!!!!

You're a crazy kid, did you know that? (y)

mathcart
09-30-2008, 08:20 PM
I know people are hating on SNL, and frankly, for good reason! BUT I do like this cast and as a LONG time watcher I have always felt like the SNL isn't as good now as its "glory days" line of thinking is not only wrong, but is a cliche that has plagued the show since the second season when people were disappointed in the Chase for Murray trade, and just as in that one I have always felt the conventional wisdom has always been wrong!

Now don't get me wrong there substantial systemic probs w/ the structure of SNL- unfunny skits dragging on for over 10 minutes, unfunny return skits and characters- to name just the most obvious 2 that come to mind. But even with all that aside, there has always been a cast or at least personalities to come along that demand your attention- from Eddie Murphy to Dana Carvey, Phil Hartman to Sander and Farley to Will Ferrell. I have always found there to be real gems in each season- although some seasons they admittedly are like a needle in a haystack.

A lot of whats wrong w/ SNL (almost all if you ask me) is Lorne's fault. This book was a real great read (http://www.amazon.com/Saturday-Night-Backstage-History-Live/dp/0688050999/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1222821548&sr=1-1) for a fan and goes a long way to explaining why a Lorne Michael's produced comedy show will NEVER be edgy, envelope pushing or even, smart (outside of update).

(Yikes- Im still going!?! Yup)
All that being said I will hold up this cast as one of the most talented and potentially funniest of all time. Very solid and Hader, Armistan and Forte are consistently funny- even when the skits they are in are not- which ultimately has to be the key w SNL skits now unfortunately. Lastly I am in the LOVING Kristen Wigg camp. I remember being the only one of my friends who liked Will Ferrell when he was on SNL, and I not only liked him, I thought he was among the funniest people I had ever seen on television. Turns out I was right. I have the exact same feeling about Wigg- she is far and away the funniest person on now, and this is a particularly strong cast (minus the good burger guy). Its eerily similar down to everyone telling me that SNL sucks and there's no one funny on it.

I guess all I'm saying is I still enjoy it and frankly have for the better part of 2 decades, even though people told me not to start watching it (or continue to) because it was already dead. All I'm saying.
End transmission.
(!)

Matt
09-30-2008, 08:30 PM
I watched a skit that involved a old guy who's wife made DVDs of popular movies and put their grandchildren in and sold them. It seems like they are trying to reach out to weird, edgy, Tim and Eric inspired stuff, but still keeping firmly planted in SNL conventions. It didn't work well at all.

I agree with the ten-minute sketches that are unfunny. I think that's one of the reasons I like Tim and Eric so much. their show is eleven and a half minutes, so if there is a sketch that I don't find funny, it'll be done in thirty seconds. SNL demands too much of my time for too little comedy.

Nygel
10-04-2008, 11:29 PM
yeah, tim and eric is some high brow shit. twenty seconds of flashing lights on a green screen with techno music. BRILLIANT!

back on topic

digital short was weird today, good thing they had a good musical guest.
im only half way through i suppose, and i only saw a quarter or the first half. but its not too awesome at the moment.

ToucanSpam
10-05-2008, 12:58 AM
This week's episode sucked except the opening.

Nygel
10-05-2008, 01:03 AM
fuck, i didnt see the opening :( i liked the bush thing though, i thought that was decently well done, not written too fantastically, but the accents and 'real acting' that was done was decent. to me "dear sister" will forever be the best thing they did
that wasnt jeopardy.

Dorothy Wood
10-05-2008, 02:09 AM
I agree with mathcart for the most part.

I really don't understand why kenan is on there, he is completely unfunny and has been since he was a kid on All That. I admit that I enjoyed a couple of Deep House Dish sketches in the past, but now they seem so dated that you can't even understand what they're referencing. it's just grasping at straws, making fun of a genre that isn't even on the public radar anymore.

I also agree that they're trying to get on the absurdist humor bandwagon (a la tim and eric), but can't quite nail it down. and I'm not sure if they should. I read an interview with Patton Oswalt awhile back where he was talking about how all these people are trying to get up onstage and try experimental absurdist comedy without understanding how traditional comedy even works. he basically said you have to master the basics before you can deconstruct them. and I think the kind of comedy SNLers are used to writing is based around punchlines and strong recurring characters, and they're having trouble deconstructing that to fit in with some of the newer comedy.

I think a lot of the current cast members have charisma and talent, but they need to tighten up and decide what they're doing as a collective force.

that said, I LOL'd a few times at tonight's episode...but last week's...ouch. awful.

also, the Killers' new songs are snoozetown. but anne hathaway is charming as fuck.

and Jason Sudeikis is pretty great, I'm surprised he's not a household name. he's a good straight man and character actor, kinda reminds me of Dave Foley in a way.

personally, I laugh a lot at surprises, mistakes and misunderstandings coupled with charismatic performances. so they should do that more. last night at the bar, a few of my friends and I were laughing to the point of tears because one guy said something about his beer and hops and I thought he said, "dogs are allergic to hugs", then my other friend thought I had said, "dogs are allergic to hunks", meanwhile, our other friend thought we were saying, "dogs are allergic to humps". which led to other misunderstandings and elaborations on what those things meant, and because we were laughing and jovial and demonstrative, it led to big big laughs that almost had me rolling on the floor. I'm pretty sure pants were peed. not sure how that would translate in a skit though. might've just been friend chemistry.

jennyb
10-05-2008, 03:56 AM
I thought the debate recap SNL style was funny, well, sad, I mean, funny but sigh... it was too similar to the actual debate. It's sad they don't have to stretch very far to make light of this election season!

The whole 'Hey you know that house you can't make payments on?' comment on the news segment .... followed up with 'now you ARE' (re:bailout taxes etc) was pretty clever.

yeahwho
10-05-2008, 05:10 AM
Hey rather than 6 years in prison, how about 12 years in juvey was so fucked up it was great, so was the "free cake" line.

sometimes it's better if ya don't try so hard.

Queen Latifah was a nice touch.

The Killers sucked...

They almost have some sort of chemistry, just kidding, No I'm not, Yes I am.... no wait I mean it, they do have excellent chemistry, just kidding.

Nygel
10-05-2008, 10:57 AM
u cock smuggles, the killers were good. unless you dont like the new sound i suppose. but i guess i enjoy the more electronic sound to seperate themselves from the generic mess on the radio now.

and anne hathaway sucked

the mary poppins skit? come on. memorize a few lines, dont stare at the teleprompter for the entire skit.

beastieboysbaby
10-05-2008, 12:24 PM
did anyone see the one hosted by james franco? it was a new one. I MISSED IT! :( ........was it funny?

MC Moot
10-06-2008, 08:31 AM
Strongest episode to date this season....Hathaway can actually act and her monologue was charming...nice to see the Killers hit 2 new numbers instead of reaching into the all hits bag...the new guy in the band adds a nice component vocally and texturally...I'll go see them live again...the Digital Short was better this week,not great but better...I think I laughed about 3 times during this episode...I felt a shift in the shows energy...Latifah could be a regular player...(y)

ToucanSpam
10-06-2008, 08:52 AM
Queen Latifah makes too much money in movies to consider SNL. I think the cast needs some sort of star power to it, though.

MC Moot
10-06-2008, 09:32 AM
Well I didn't say would I was saying couldshe's got some skills,she's a friend of the show and I think that was like her 5 or 6th appearance..."friends of the show" alway's make it really interesting for me...I wonder how many of the current players are connected to Second City?…is that partnership still a cornerstone of the casting?...

ToucanSpam
10-06-2008, 09:34 AM
She definitely could be a regular player for sure. She can make people laugh very easily, she has an excellent skill set.

The Digital Shorts are starting to get not funny at all and really stupid.

Nygel
10-06-2008, 02:14 PM
ew, queen latifah sucks all types of ass

marsdaddy
10-06-2008, 02:18 PM
SNL hasn't been 'funny' for years. I think the last time was with Velvet Jones!

The Fey/Palin and Poehler/Clinton skits have been entertaining, at best.

taquitos
10-06-2008, 03:21 PM
i've hated snl for way longer, but after tracy morgan left it was just all over.

they might as well keep doing it because they probably make mad cash off it
and maybe little kids and harp seals or other stupid animals like that enjoy it,
but jesus, it is embarrassingly bad.

frankly, i'm surprised anyone on here really enjoys it.

and the musical guests? c'mon now...

Nygel
10-06-2008, 05:51 PM
and current music in general? come on.

I didn't ever really like tracy morgan. only twice have I enjoyed him (Totally Awesome, and on 30 Rock here and there)

Anyone ever see Lonely Island (www.thelonelyisland.com)?
its where Samburg started and then SNL snapped all three of them up. The other two are writers now. I wish their show was picked up, Awesometown is . . . well, awesome. watch the episodes, you wont be disappointed.

apparently all the digital shorts are from them too.

MC Moot
10-07-2008, 09:05 AM
I loved the "Little Hands" Lawrence Welk skit...fuck'n funny...and when Tina Fey pulled out the flute,oh brother,great stuff...

watch... (http://www.nbc.com/Saturday_Night_Live/)

MC Moot
10-15-2008, 09:19 AM
Mark Wahlberg don't like it...:D

Mark Wahlberg just was not feeling that "Mark Wahlberg Talks to the Animals" sketch earlier this month.

"It wasn't like Tina Fey doing Sarah Palin, that's for sure," he told the New York Post. "And 'Saturday Night Live' hasn't been funny for a long time. They've asked me to do the show a ton of times. I used to watch it when Eddie Murphy was there and Joe Piscopo and Bill Murray. I don't even know who's on the show now."

Mark Wahlberg talks to the animals... ( http://www.nbc.com/Saturday_Night_Live/video/clips/mark-wahlberg-talks-to-animals/727504/)

MC Moot
10-21-2008, 10:51 AM
Alec Baldwin,Oliver Stone,Mark Wahlberg...love the celebrity walk ons...

Wahlberg catches up to Sandberg…. ( http://www.nbc.com/Saturday_Night_Live/video/clips/mark-wahlberg-backstage/773862/)(y)

Nygel
10-21-2008, 11:47 AM
oh marky mark, you're films are horrible. haha

MC Moot
10-21-2008, 11:59 AM
The Departed,Planet of the Apes,Three Kings,The Basketball Diaries...I like those just fine...he just can't move his own vehicle that's all...

mathcart
10-21-2008, 06:29 PM
Mark Wahlberg don't like it...:D

Mark Wahlberg just was not feeling that "Mark Wahlberg Talks to the Animals" sketch earlier this month.

"It wasn't like Tina Fey doing Sarah Palin, that's for sure," he told the New York Post. "And 'Saturday Night Live' hasn't been funny for a long time. They've asked me to do the show a ton of times. I used to watch it when Eddie Murphy was there and Joe Piscopo and Bill Murray. I don't even know who's on the show now."

Mark Wahlberg talks to the animals... ( http://www.nbc.com/Saturday_Night_Live/video/clips/mark-wahlberg-talks-to-animals/727504/)

Among the funniest things they've done in a while & almost totally justified Samberg's presence on the show.
:D

Dharma
10-22-2008, 06:26 PM
Alec Baldwin "trying" to insult Palin while he read his lines and gasps for air was weak.

Mark Walhberg can good vibrate me anyday.

HEIRESS
10-23-2008, 11:29 AM
Alec Baldwin,Oliver Stone,Mark Wahlberg...love the celebrity walk ons...

Wahlberg catches up to Sandberg…. ( http://www.nbc.com/Saturday_Night_Live/video/clips/mark-wahlberg-backstage/773862/)(y)

my boyfriend has been calling me at random times to say "say hi to your mother for me ok?'
:p

Nygel
10-23-2008, 03:17 PM
Among the funniest things they've done in a while & almost totally justified Samberg's presence on the show.
:D
THAT almost justified his presence? yeah, forget about the digital shorts that have gained some of the only popularity snl has seen in years. THIS is what almost justifies him.

its in a box.

MC Moot
10-23-2008, 03:44 PM
its in a box.

I thought Chronicles of Narnia (Lazy Sunday) (http://www.nbc.com/Saturday_Night_Live/segments/6771.shtml ) or People Getting Punched Just Before They Eat (http://www.nbc.com/Saturday_Night_Live/video/clips/snl-digital-short-andy-punches/166786/) to vastly more amusing...

Nygel
10-23-2008, 08:56 PM
i was speaking popularity.

i do agree though

i like space olympics a lot too. it grew on me, after you figure out what he is saying, i love it.

Audio.
10-24-2008, 04:41 AM
I liked it when Christopher Walken was their as guest host and when they show skits from Tv Funhouse production which I think is giving SNL much of an edgy taste.

Nygel
11-01-2008, 06:58 PM
McCain on tonight. I was also looking around and found he hosted the show back in 2002. Which of course, obviously a ridiculous skit occured wiht him in it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lhomInJ7Pc

Nygel
11-02-2008, 03:43 PM
http://www.hulu.com/collections/130
"highlights" of last night. Yet some of the best stuff isnt even on there (i suggest watching the one with the coats, fucking great) If anyone saw it... GIRAFFES!

also Target Lady. god those two were amazing. i cant find them online yet though.

HEIRESS
11-03-2008, 01:32 PM
kristin wiig is my new favorite snl cast member.

Nygel
11-16-2008, 02:33 PM
http://www.hulu.com/collections/134
last night was quite possibly the best of the season to me. Those highlights only show a few of the really good parts, the whole thing seemed like it was pushing it as far as your average tv show (lots of gay jokes, some dick jokes, lots of men kissing, lots of sex in general i guess). Seth Myers being the new head writer seems like the best idea they've had in a long time.

digital short was amazing too.

ToucanSpam
11-16-2008, 04:48 PM
New featured people...interesting. A larger cast might freshen things up.

yeahwho
11-16-2008, 05:27 PM
Kristin Wiig is great, the writing is getting slightly better and the show is beginning to actually come across as entertaining again. They've done a lot of hard work to make it good, occasionally very special.

Adam Samberg has the fucking funniest face I've seen on TV in years. His facial expressions during the Beyonce dance skit had me LMAO.

Nygel
12-07-2008, 01:10 AM
best fucking digital short ever

all three lonely islanders and justin timberlake

and jizzing in pants.

my shitty weekend just got lots better

Nygel
12-07-2008, 12:43 PM
http://www.hulu.com/collections/139
digital short at the bottom.

best ever.

HotAndWet
12-07-2008, 12:47 PM
^
Yeah that did rule pretty hard.

Dorothy Wood
12-07-2008, 09:18 PM
<3 Jorma Taccone

Nygel
12-07-2008, 10:55 PM
yeah, thats what made it for me, i wish he was on more things on there (he usually is, but in the background, or as a soundguy who pukes.)

akiva as DJ was cool too, the first girl was some model, second girl was on sopranos and JT as the janitor. coolness

Bob
12-20-2008, 09:17 PM
this is possibly the least funny thing that's ever been on tv

http://www.hulu.com/watch/4259/saturday-night-live-out-of-breath-jogger-from-1992

there have been parodies of SNL that have been genuinely more funny (as non-ironic SNL skits) than this

goddamn

mate_spawn_die
12-20-2008, 09:20 PM
^ that actually made me laugh a little... especially the "cyrstal pepsi" at the end haha

Dorothy Wood
12-21-2008, 12:04 AM
yeah, maybe you're too young to think it's funny, bob. I totally used to drink crystal pepsi, woot woo!

there's actually a short that I saw once that was fucking hilarious and I haven't seen it since, and I can't find it. it was kind of 90's-themed, but then you find out at the end that the people are just dorks and it's present day. will forte was in it. damn it, I wish I knew why it disappeared.

Knuckles
12-21-2008, 01:19 AM
yeah, maybe you're too young to think it's funny, bob. I totally used to drink crystal pepsi, woot woo!

I have a can of Crystal Pepsi somewhere in my garage.

Dorothy Wood
12-21-2008, 04:52 AM
I have a can of Crystal Pepsi somewhere in my garage.

you take care of that thing, failed products fetch a lot of money after a certain period of time. it's an antique!

lol: http://shop.ebay.com/items/_W0QQ_nkwZcrystalQ20pepsiQQ_armrsZ1QQ_fromZR40QQ_m doZ

Bob
01-01-2009, 03:11 PM
http://www.hulu.com/watch/20337/saturday-night-live-snl-digital-short-the-japanese-office

this is pretty funny

mathcart
01-01-2009, 04:12 PM
http://www.hulu.com/watch/20337/saturday-night-live-snl-digital-short-the-japanese-office

this is pretty funny

said before, I'll say it again- Kristen Wiig is a god-damn gift to that show...

Nygel
01-01-2009, 08:56 PM
yep, shes the best female cast member.

marsdaddy
01-02-2009, 09:53 PM
Except for the political humo(u)r and some of Adam Sandberg's song parodies, SNL is boring. I hadn't seen this one until today, http://iknowtheledge.com/tag/adam-sandberg which isn't as funny as I'd hoped.

MC Moot
03-14-2009, 07:44 PM
I think Tracy Morgan may tear it up tonight...(y)

checkyourprez
03-15-2009, 08:03 AM
i have one friend that really likes snl still so i only watch it when im hanging with him on very rare occasions anymore.

but i have to say last night was actually a good episode. however it did seem that there were only like 4 people working the entire show and they were in almost every skit. economy is hitting snl too?

TAL
03-15-2009, 10:31 AM
I'd forgotten how crap Tracy Morgan was, but now I know again.

MC Moot
03-15-2009, 03:15 PM
I'm BRIAN BELLOWS!...the intro was priceless,specially when he K.O'd Tina Fey...it was pretty good all though he strugled a little with the cue cards...I mean shit,how hard can it be to remember lines for skit comedy?...and I found it very annoying that they repeated 2 commercial paradoy's from earlier this season...

yeahwho
04-13-2009, 04:59 PM
Zac Efron's High School Musica (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/thedishrag/2009/04/troy-bolton-commencement-address.html)l bit was funny, but the yeah yeah yeahs seemed a bit inhibited. I like Gilly (http://www.hulu.com/watch/67439/saturday-night-live-gilly---science-fair#s-p1-st-i0) though.. this bit seemed a bit long in the tooth too.

Overall best season they've had in a few decades.

Nygel
04-13-2009, 10:43 PM
yeah, efron did better than i expected. especially after that god awful funnyordie video he was in.

hardnox71
04-14-2009, 11:39 AM
They just need a stronger cast.

The funniest cast in the world can't save horrible writing.

yeahwho
05-16-2010, 09:32 PM
Well now season 35 is over and the last show would of been great is they kept it down to 2:22 minutes.

I loved this SNL short, "Great Day (http://www.hulu.com/watch/149646/saturday-night-live-digital-short-great-day#s-p1-sr-i3)"

checkyourprez
05-16-2010, 11:44 PM
The funniest cast in the world can't save horrible writing.

i would beg to differ. i think a funny cast saves bad casting, and a bad cast can ruin good writing. the people they have now suck. im not saying the writing now is good but sandler and that crop would make anything funny.

yeahwho
05-17-2010, 12:36 AM
The past season was so insignificant we're just tagging it on like an afterthought to this SNL 34 thread.

Season 35

Writing, poor to stupid 95% of the time

Musical Guests, MGMT + Petty had one good turn, total of 7 minutes out of a whole season.

Acting, I give the actors a slightly better score than the writers, but as far as improv they are not genius. The SNL shorts are great but that is filmed, this is suppose to be a funny live show.

When they went with the unfunny white guy to be Obama rather than the sort of funny Black guy I figured SNL may have just fucking given up on sharp, irreverent topical humor.