PDA

View Full Version : M.I.A. lauchez record LABEL

beastieboysbaby
09-29-2008, 09:21 PM
M.I.A. launches own record label

Star kicks off her own imprint with debut from Baltimore rapper Rye Rye plus reveals her own record might sound "like old Blur songs"

Despite announcing her temporary retirement from the stage in June M.I.A. has been keeping busy by starting her own record label. Called NEET, M.I.A. told NME it stands for "Not in Education, Employment, Training", plus it spells teen backwards.
"That's basically the philosophy: drop out teens, I sign 'em!" explained M.I.A., whose first act is Rye Rye, a 17-year-old Baltimore rapper.
M.I.A. - real name Mathangi Arularpragasm - is currently producing Rye Rye's debut album as well as writing her own new tracks.
"All my teenage-angst kind of songs go to her and then mine are the sophisticated, mature, grown-into-a-woman type songs - I'm trying not to make so many club songs," she said.
M.I.A. who studied at London's Central St Martins College of Art and Design, is also helping Rye Rye with the visual side of the project, sorting out everything from artwork to building her website.
The album is due out in March of next year, after which M.I.A. plans to sign a new act.
"I can only work on it one [artist] at a time because I put everything into it - so I try not to sign people and then keep them waiting. Once I've finished with one, doing as well as I could, then I get the next kid and help,", M.I.A. explained, adding that Rye Rye was not the first act she wanted for NEET.
Santogold almost joined the fledgling label until a timing clash with the release of M.I.A.'s own 'Kala' ruled out the link-up.
"I just didn't want to a label at that time, or to be a label exec," she said, explaining why she passed up the opportunity. "I was putting my record out and I just found it too demanding"
There will be no let up with M.I.A.'s third album either.
"I'd love to write songs like The Last Shadow Puppets or something, or like old Blur songs!" she admitted, explaining that she is currently working on a "really pretty song" with the working title 'Live In Love In Pain', written with producers Diplo and Switch/
If all goes to plan, M.I.A. should have a new LP out next summer. "I wasn't planning to release a new album," explained M.I.A. "but it's just coming out that way".

oooooooh im PUMPED!!!! (y)(y)

Bob
09-29-2008, 09:49 PM
"s", use the "s" key

beastieboysbaby
09-29-2008, 10:33 PM
to tell the truth, i don't really give a shyt about my grammar on here.

cubsfirstplace
09-29-2008, 10:34 PM
to tell the truth, i don't really give a shyt about my grammar on here.

your energy is really scaring me

kaiser soze
09-29-2008, 11:44 PM
she's zlurring her S!

:rolleyes:

taquitos
09-30-2008, 11:14 AM
i heard she married some record company execs kid. it that true? i wonder if her new album will be good. i still like the other two despite everything.

AceFace
09-30-2008, 11:59 AM
despite everything?

Lex Diamonds
09-30-2008, 12:37 PM
M.I.A. took his butt virginity.

Dharma
09-30-2008, 02:25 PM
So basically ... She sold out.

beastieboysbaby
10-12-2008, 09:15 PM
she's prego!

HEIRESS
10-14-2008, 07:29 AM
RYE RYE! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHAigWTZioI)

rirv
10-14-2008, 07:37 AM
MIA iz a terrorizt. Iz thiz the kind of woman we want running the country?:mad:

Joking aside, was her father not in the Tamil Tigers?

taquitos
10-14-2008, 07:40 AM
she's prego!

welp, that's it for that then.