PDA

View Full Version : getting the smoke out of things

jabumbo
11-10-2008, 10:22 PM
so in my house hunting, i found a place i really like, but the former tenant was a long time smoker so the place sort of has a built up smell on things.

if i get the place, i'm already planning on taking down all the wallpaper and repainting. but does anyone have some suggestions on cleaning methods for the carpets/cabinets/etc?

Dorothy Wood
11-11-2008, 01:48 AM
http://secure.serverlab.net/shop/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=M00103&Category_Code=air_therapy

http://www.triplecsystem.com/images/carpet_cleaning_banner.jpg

after you paint and clean the carpets, you should be alright. I got some of that orange air therapy deodorant spray at trader joes awhile back and it does a really good job of taking the stink out of things. add some cinnamony candles and the place'll be fresh as a daisy, an orange cinnamon roll daisy. it'd probably be a good idea to air everything out with the windows open too...not sure how practical that'll be in the winter though.

Adam
11-11-2008, 03:44 AM
After the smoking ban in the UK, the pubs still smelt of smoke for up to two months after. Obviously they still had smelly punters coming in everyday tho.

I'd say get a steam cleaner for carpets and curtains. Then once dry, for the carpets put some talc into it, leave it for an hour or so then hover it up.

I think painting might do the trick anyway.

roosta
11-11-2008, 04:17 AM
smoke it out.

kind of like drinking to cure a hangover, but not at all and also probably not effective.

you can thank me later.

jabumbo
11-11-2008, 04:51 PM
you're a genius roosta!

i think i'm going to just make it clear that dude won't get a bid he probably wants unless he de-stinkefies the place. so hopefully he just does it for me.

i also think mom just bought me a bunch of pomegranate candles....

Yorkshire~Rose
11-11-2008, 04:57 PM
for the carpets put some talc into it, leave it for an hour or so then hover it up.

Baking soda works well using this method. Sprinkle it, leave for a while to absorb the odour and then vacuum it up.
Tried and tested in my house on baby sick! (y)

Myu-to
11-11-2008, 06:38 PM
Fart.

Duh.

marsdaddy
11-11-2008, 06:51 PM
Fart.

Duh.Light a match?