PDA

View Full Version : icky

monkey
01-26-2009, 09:05 PM
i just threw up. i know, fantastic! but im wondering why.

i tend to throw up an hour or two after exercising. im not sure why. i dont particularly like it, as it makes me feel like poopy. i have no appetite after running but about an hour after im done, i feel weak and dizzy. and then as i attempt to feed myself (not an easy feat, as i already feel sick) i usually throw it up.

after the barf session, im cured. and the cycle repeats itself after the next workout.

also, this only happens when the work outs are somewhat challenging. i thought it may be asthma, but it makes no difference if i take my inhaler or not.

im not gonna stop jogging. i want to be a runner again. but shit, this makes it harder.

so.. any thoughts? anyone experienced something like this then surpassed it with a miracle cure? should i just let myself get fat and lazy?

Lyman Zerga
01-26-2009, 09:40 PM
i go running everyday and this never happened to me, i must be doing it wrong!

Bob
01-26-2009, 09:54 PM
i'm not sure if this is causing the vomiting, but you really should be eating within an hour after working out. i forget the science behind it but that hour is critical

it is for weightlifting anyway, i assume it applies to exercise generally though.

russhie
01-26-2009, 11:35 PM
Maybe you're pushing yourself too hard. Maybe jam a banana down half hour or so before working out, that way you'll have something in your belly. Also after my bikram yoga class the teachers encourage you to have a banana or something because of how much you sweat/exert yourself over the 90 minutes.

Bananas are pretty good, I think.

funk63
01-26-2009, 11:40 PM
I used to throw up alot inbetween doing leg presses. It might be from pushing yourself too hard or not getting enough blood goin and getting light headed.
I would just reccommend drink ALOT of water and eat healthy, I know not exactly revolutionary information but there ya go.

monkey
01-26-2009, 11:58 PM
i know that you're supposed to eat a banana after working out for max. muscle growth and other good shit. and i did have a fruit, a kiwi, about 20 minutes before i started. but i can't force myself to eat right after. i just can't deal with food. when i was a real runner (ha!), i used to have a bagel after my workouts, as part of a healthy workout diet. but i used to have to shove that shit down my throat. i have NO desire for food for a good hour or two after working out.

eh whatever.

adam_f
01-27-2009, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by monkey
i know that you're supposed to eat a banana

I will supervise this.

Dorothy Wood
01-27-2009, 12:50 AM
the puking thing used to happen to me in high school sometimes when I played basketball and was doing pre-season conditioning (3-4 hours of intense cardio and strength training 5 days a week). I have exercise-enduced asthma (well, according to the doctors back then). the only thing that helped was hydration and basically getting over the hump of my body reacting violently to excess exertion.

also, maybe you're not getting enough iron?

Bob
01-27-2009, 08:24 AM
the puking thing used to happen to me in high school sometimes when I played basketball and was doing pre-season conditioning (3-4 hours of intense cardio and strength training 5 days a week). I have exercise-enduced asthma (well, according to the doctors back then). the only thing that helped was hydration and basically getting over the hump of my body reacting violently to excess exertion.

also, maybe you're not getting enough iron?

more testicles means more iron

Pres Zount
01-27-2009, 08:32 AM
Iron testicletes and a banana.

camo
01-27-2009, 08:37 AM
are you warming down properly? It's important to warm down and balance out and then eat something whilst you recuperate.

Lex Diamonds
01-27-2009, 09:01 AM
On Sunday morning I vommed when I woke up (due to hangover), but it wasn't normal puke and there were no traces of any of the food I had the day before, it was just pure phlegm coming out of my throat. There was like a pint of it it was fucking dirty. It's really made me think about quitting smoking (or at least cutting down).

Waus
01-27-2009, 10:26 AM
Sounds like mild hypoglycemia to me.

jabumbo
01-27-2009, 01:08 PM
i threw up after my last run, which was pretty challenging for me. although it was pretty much as soon as my heart rate got back down to a normal level that i chucked.

i usually don't have an appetite for an hour or so after a good workout, but then it catches up to me and i devour anything i see the rest of the night.

is this something that used to happen to you before? or is it a completely new development? it could just be a combination of you being out of running shape and the weather (if you're going out, anyway). when its as cold as it is, that shock after you finish the run can be pretty harsh.

rirv
01-27-2009, 01:13 PM
You need to eat within thirty minutes of exercise so you can actually recover from it.

AceFace
01-27-2009, 02:04 PM
if you don't eat within 30 mins to an hour of exercising, your body won't use that exercise in the correct way. does that make sense? you need to refuel the body after expending all your fuel.

i think you're pushing yourself too hard, in my opinion.

taquitos
01-27-2009, 03:12 PM
i think you're pushing yourself too hard (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhPvkzFJhnk)qft

monkey
01-27-2009, 08:50 PM
i think you're pushing yourself too hard, in my opinion.

yes and no.

i am pushing myself in terms of time. i have endurance, and i'm using it to my advantage. but at the same time, i'm also just jogging. im not pushing my speed much.

i think the low blood sugar thing is on point, it's what i considered. but today i had a little bit of a heavier lunch and it was really difficult to jog. i did a shorter run today because of that. then i had tea with milk a little after my run. i will have dinner soon. woo hoo.

russhie
01-28-2009, 12:01 AM
You need to eat within thirty minutes of exercise so you can actually recover from it.

I didn't know that. I usually have breakfast 15-20 minutes after my run, so good to know I'm doing shit right for a change.