PDA

View Full Version : Going to England for a week.

Auton
02-15-2009, 02:28 AM
Just for kicks and giggles, in a week and a half. Any recommendations for cool things to see or interesting places to go? My friend and I will be staying in London, but we'll have a car so we can explore. Any suggestions are welcome.

Documad
02-15-2009, 02:53 AM
I got some great advice here a few years ago. The UK people will come through for you.

I'd say "ditch the car." :p On my last trip, we thought about renting a car but we wound up taking the train when we left London instead because we didn't want to deal with parking a car. A week isn't very long, so you're going to have to prioritize if you're spending some of that time in the country.

What kinds of things do you like to do when you're on a trip? Do you like history, museums, plays, live music, eating out at fancy places, ethnic food? I love the imperial war museum and I thought that the churchill bunker museum (whatever it's called) was interesting. Unless you really hate everything royal, it can be fun to go to a castle because we don't have them here. I try to mix touristy stuff with non touristy stuff.

If you've never been to London before, I'd recommend one of those bus tours. They're cheesy but you get a good overview of the city and history in a few hours.

I'm dying to go back to the UK!!!

Kid Presentable
02-15-2009, 02:57 AM
Camden and Brixton were my favourite places in London. There's better I'm sure. Welcome back, Anton.

Documad
02-15-2009, 03:01 AM
I missed the part where it said you were leaving in a week and a half. I'm so jealous!!!!

On my last trip, my friend and I couldn't agree on much so we split up more than half the time.

By the way, I had heard of the Elgin marbles for most of my life but I had no idea what they were. Then on my last trip I stumbled into them. I felt like such a dummy. I had an image of these large round stones that resembled bocce balls. :o

Kid Presentable
02-15-2009, 03:05 AM
Devon and Cornwall (South west) I liked, too.

ms.peachy
02-15-2009, 03:43 AM
Devon and Cornwall (South west) I liked, too.

holy moly, if someone's just coming to London for a week I'd hardly recommend going out to Devon and Cornwall, that'll take up half the time just driving there and back!

As has already been suggested, I'd say ditch the car, and just take day trips by train if you want to go out of London. You can travel easily to places like Oxford, Cambridge etc very quickly and easily. If you like castles, you can handily get to Windsor or (even better) Arundel no problem.

Remember to get an Oyster card to travel around town. Without it, the prices for public transport will make you cry. With it you still may whimper a little.

You should make some time on a Friday or Saturday to go to Borough Market. Go hungry.

Try to visit the Princess Louise pub on High Holborn, The Salisbury on St. Martins Lane, and the Blackfriars at, erm, Blackfriars.

It would be easier to make more recommendations if I had an idea of what you are interested in. Do you want arty stuff? historical stuff? funky yoof stuff?

ms.peachy
02-15-2009, 03:47 AM
If you've never been to London before, I'd recommend one of those bus tours. They're cheesy but you get a good overview of the city and history in a few hours.

I second this as well. If the weather is decent, do this. They really are a great way to get a sense of where things are in relation to eachother. Also you literally just see things from a different perspective than from on the ground, and so you'll see things about the buildings, the streets, the people than you would walking around. I'm thinking I will take a day to do this again in a month or so, before we leave London (*sob, sniff*)

Adam
02-15-2009, 03:51 AM
Don't take a car anywhere near London. Really not worth it at all.

Since you are down south, devon & cornwall like KP said.

If you are willing to travel a bit more - Bristol and then South Wales might be a fun day away. I really like Cardiff (I know a lot don't).

^^Actually a cool route might be London - Bristol - Cardiff - Devon - Cornwall, you might have to double back on ya self a bit tho. Although that is a lot of traveling anyway and if only for a week, you won't even get 10% of London done.

Erm - London is the least friendliest part of the country. But it does have the best museums and facilities. But since it was Darwin's birthday the other day - Natural History Museum (http://www.nhm.ac.uk/) in London is a must. I've been thinking of going down to London just for that.

Kid Presentable
02-15-2009, 04:00 AM
holy moly, if someone's just coming to London for a week I'd hardly recommend going out to Devon and Cornwall, that'll take up half the time just driving there and back!

Psssh it's fuck all.

Adam
02-15-2009, 04:13 AM
KP has a rocket car!

Kid Presentable
02-15-2009, 04:15 AM
The box said 'Acme'

Drederick Tatum
02-15-2009, 05:35 AM
in London do a bike tour with Fat Tire Bike Tours. loads better than a bus tour.

Adam
02-15-2009, 05:45 AM
in London do a bike tour with Fat Tire Bike Tours. loads better than a bus tour.

Take out insurance to for they have to scrap you off the payment.

Auton
02-15-2009, 06:12 AM
Awesome- thanks for the responses, folks.

In regards to what I'm looking for, well... I have no expectations really. I've always been a little obsessed with British culture and England in general, but I take a very relaxed approach to travel and don't want to overprepare or overhype the trip. Saying I want to pretend like I live there sounds pretty stupid, but that's almost what it is. Like, ms. peachy and other londoners... what would you folks do if you just... had a week off of work, and you were just chilling in town? what bars are you comfortable at? what restraunts are your favorite? of course I'd like to do some touristy stuff- i don't intend on watching alot of tv or spending hours on wikipedia while i'm there- so I guess I just want a little insanity and a little bit of... normal... random stuff people in england consider everyday things.

A little more info:
The car's already paid for, and yeah, I didn't want it. It was my friend's idea, and she's going to be driving the whole time. I'm completely cool off it. I wish we could just take public transportation (it would seem more like an out-of-town-adventure anyway) but alas- she's the birthday girl, so we get the stupid car.

We only have 2 things planned so far- we get in on thursday, and we'll be spending the first two days with her family (*sigh*) and on monday night we're going to Phantom of the Opera (*SIGH*). we have the other nights free, as well as having the days open. Her family's probably going to show us alot of touristy london stuff on the days we're visiting them, but other than that, yeah, nothing else is planned.*

But yeah, really- what do you guys like to do? I want to hear it all. Even if it's just mundane shit that you take for granted. I have a very open mind. Hit me. Also I know I don't walk around these parts much, and that when I do it's usually to say "this album sucks" or "hahaha" but if anybody wants to hang out with us or meet us somewhere, that'd be cool, it'd be nice to visit and meet some of you. I know we'd probably have the most exciting trip everz if Padster took us partying with him and his friends.

seriously though. phantom of the opera? are you shitting me? we're flying across the fucking world and you want to watch a show you can watch HERE?!!? and not just any show, but PHANTOM OF THE OPERA!?!?! goddammit

Auton
02-15-2009, 06:12 AM

that actually sounds pretty fun even though I'm shit on a bike

peterclamp
02-15-2009, 08:03 AM
Well if you want to feel like you live here...for gods sake dont do the touristy stuff. Yes some of it is good, but it will mostly be expensive and quite frankly you'll leave with the impression that we are all jolly Londoners and still live in Victorian era housing!

For a normal weekend/day off I would go to the pub, or a bar/club in my local town and hang with friends, sink a few beers then grab a kebab on the way home.

Daytimes can be cinema, there are some really nice country walks near my house or perhaps some window shopping here or in nearby Milton Keynes.
Grabbing a coffee with mates is a regular fixture.

Whenever I visit another country I always try and do as the locals (although I do try and catch a little of the tourist stuff if its a first time visit).
You should go to the pub and watch a soccer match, or even better somehow get tickets for one of the games.

Covent Garden in London is fun, but I would advise getting on the train and getting out. My hometown Portsmouth has lots to do and see (its on the South Coast and has a Naval heritage).
Alternatively head to Aylesbury and I will show you all the exciting things us English folk get upto lol!

Whatever you do, have fun! (y)

Documad
02-15-2009, 09:53 AM
UK people: Recommend some foods he should eat if he's a pub. And what should he buy from a street vendor? What are real foods that UK people eat as opposed to the stuff americans think you eat? If you're in London where do you go to hear live music on the fly? Is there a free magazine he should pick up that will point him to what's going on? Is there a London neighborhood that locals avoid because there are too many tourists?

I'd recommend going into a corner grocery store and a pharmacy. It's a hoot to see all the different foods and names for foods. I bought some odd stuff at a pharmacy when I was ill once.

It's amusing to hear how they say the names of place you've been saying wrong in your head for years. More than one cabbie laughed at me.

Be sure to take a tube a few times. You have to ditch her family at some point.

I know that you will be a good sport about Phantom. It's going to be painful but my guess is that someone paid quite a bit for your ticket. While you're there, think about that fact that loads of people make something like that their one big entertainment event for the year. It always floors me.

ms.peachy
02-15-2009, 10:29 AM
I can't really advise about nightlife, as I haven't had a nightlife for going on 3 years now, so someone else will have to advise as to the happening hotspots for live music, clubbing, bars etc.

Street food in London is basically kebabs. Quality is highly variable.

There are some touristy things that are highly worth doing. All of the major museums, for example, are invariably excellent. As I said, I do recommend the bus tour. (The bike tour may also be interesting, but I'd point out that you will have to be paying attention to riding the bike and looking out for your own safety, whereas on the bus you get to do sweet fuck all and just chill.) Aboat tour down to Greenwich on the Thames is also a nice thing to do, esp if you want to go down that way to go to the Maritime Museum and the Observatory. The London Eye is kind of cool, but can be pricey - if you think it's something you would want to do, ask around once you get to town, there are sometimes 2 for 1 deals on certain days at off peak times.

Forget Madame Taussauds and all that kind of bollocks. Skip the Tower of London as well - it's kind of cool but it is way expensive.

Have a walk along South Bank. On a nice day/evening, it's a great place to just stroll and watch the world go by.

I'll post more stuff as I think of it.

peterclamp
02-15-2009, 11:07 AM
UK people: Recommend some foods he should eat if he's a pub. And what should he buy from a street vendor? What are real foods that UK people eat as opposed to the stuff americans think you eat? If you're in London where do you go to hear live music on the fly? Is there a free magazine he should pick up that will point him to what's going on? Is there a London neighborhood that locals avoid because there are too many tourists?

I'd recommend going into a corner grocery store and a pharmacy. It's a hoot to see all the different foods and names for foods. I bought some odd stuff at a pharmacy when I was ill once.

It's amusing to hear how they say the names of place you've been saying wrong in your head for years. More than one cabbie laughed at me.

Be sure to take a tube a few times. You have to ditch her family at some point.

I know that you will be a good sport about Phantom. It's going to be painful but my guess is that someone paid quite a bit for your ticket. While you're there, think about that fact that loads of people make something like that their one big entertainment event for the year. It always floors me.

God DO NOT buy anything off street vendors! Lol only joking!!

Ok, in a pub...eat an All Day Breakfast. Goto a chip shop and eat fish (cod in batter) and chips (as in Fries, but larger!).
Eat a mixed kebab (lamb doner/chicken in Pitta bread, I like salad and garlic sauce with it or you could have chilli sauce).
Drink a cup of tea, with milk in it. Try some "real ales", play darts in the pub.

Make sure you understand the "offside rule" in Football (Soccer). Do not be obvious and choose one of the big teams (Chelsea, Manchester United, Liverpool etc) to pretend to support. Instead pretend to like one of the other teams, but find out who the current players are first.

Learn to enjoy queuing, talk about the weather and NEVER try and use cockney rhyming slang because neither do we!
Instead, find out what a "Chav" is and start calling everyone "Bruv"...

Watch some British TV, listen to Radio 1, go to a market...

Play cricket, buy a red top newspaper, eat a curry (its almost British!), buy a copy of the Big Issue...

Watch out for pickpockets in London.:D..

Adam
02-15-2009, 11:28 AM
Just to be anal: A curry is british. When we ruled India and they had all that spicy food we couldn't handle it so we asked for some gravy and it came back as curry - so it was made cus of the british. <-- Pretty sure that is right if I remember from school - not checked wiki tho to clarify.

Anyway; football is a big thing but cricket is a little more British probably. Just so you know, all English National Teams are shocking. We hate Australians cus they are better than us at sport who you will see in every Irish bar and all the Irish will be in the Australian bars. The Irish hate the British - don't confuse them as British! Or European for that matter. They are just Irish.

If you want to eat cheap - go here http://www.restaurantdiscountvouchers.co.uk/ Check the terms tho as some of them exclude london.

Check out the Golf Sale. If you go outside of London, it is ok to make eye contact with others and smile. Otherwise stare at the floor.

Basically; to answer your question about if you was in London and wanted to kick back - you'd avoid Central London because of the tourists, but like any large city you could be uncomfortable in some areas if you stray too far. Take a water taxi for the hell of it.

When you are on the tube - make sure you stand to the right on the escalators. Do not block the way unless you are really running (not even quick walking) up/down them on the left hand side. Seriously, you will fuck a lot of people off if you do.

Also when crossing the road, don't assume traffic will stop cus the light is red - unless outside london where they do. UK traffic laws give pedestrians the right of way but that rule is ignored in London.

Ha, I'm a terrible advert for London. I hate the place but it is to give you the other perspective (y)

peterclamp
02-15-2009, 11:45 AM
Just to be anal: A curry is british. When we ruled India and they had all that spicy food we couldn't handle it so we asked for some gravy and it came back as curry - so it was made cus of the british. <-- Pretty sure that is right if I remember from school - not checked wiki tho to clarify.

No I am sure thats wrong although I am happy to be corrected. Curry always came from India although many varieties are very much a British invention ie; Tikka Masala. Pretty sure it had nothing to do with the food being to hot, it is an urban myth...

Anyway, see here.

http://www.menumagazine.co.uk/book/curryhistory.html

Adam
02-15-2009, 12:07 PM
Or too dry maybe. Well that link did say something about word curry means gravy somewhere.

Then the horrible colours and font of the site made me close the tab in anger.

beastieboysbaby
02-15-2009, 02:59 PM
:eek: me toooo! going to tha UK this summer with my best friend! but we're staying for 2 weeks.

shit's gonna be tha bomb!

na§tee
02-15-2009, 03:00 PM
geez adam/peter, he's not retarded! :rolleyes: haha. awwh.

for the love of god do NOT go to milton keynes :eek:

ToucanSpam
02-15-2009, 03:01 PM
Sit in Karl Marx's chair at that huge museum for me, will you?

paul jones
02-15-2009, 03:34 PM
for the love of god do NOT go to milton keynes :eek:

I'll second that,I live there

peterclamp
02-15-2009, 06:01 PM
haha Milton Keynes is good for shopping...indoor skiing...occasional nights out...but I am lucky enough to live a few miles down the road and DONT have to live there!

Saying that, Aylesbury is not much better, a little less concrete maybe!

Canterbury is very nice in the Cathedral area, I used to run a lovely pub there within view of the cathedral, one of the oldest pubs in the country and very popular with tourists.

Portsmouth as I said before is great for the WW Two military stuff, plus of course the really old maritime/wartime stuff like HMS Victory etc.

Oxford is great for the spires/university.

I am struggling to think of anything that I do that is quintessentially English/British though, everything seems to have come from another culture!

This is a great place to eat, plus you can look at all the shoes/boots that have been donated by the rich and famous...http://www.theboot-inn.com/

(y)

Drederick Tatum
02-16-2009, 03:57 AM
has curry overtaken fish and chips as the national dish? your fish and chips has always been rubbish though, too oily.

Adam
02-16-2009, 04:18 AM
I think Fish and Chips is still the official national dish. Just curry is nicer and eaten more.

Like lions are our national animals - we don't actually have any lions.

Drederick Tatum
02-16-2009, 04:48 AM
well, the cranky badger doesn't really inspire much fear or respect.

trailerprincess
02-16-2009, 05:14 AM
You should go to Brighton - it's just like Miami (except it's perenially cold and wet)
But it's only about an hour from London on the train and there's the pier, proper fish and chips, pebble beach, good bars and clubs etc.

gbsuey
02-16-2009, 05:49 AM
I would second that-Brighton's a good place.

I live really close to lots of those "Charming Cotswold villages" that you see tourists wandering around in disbelief at-they look like picture-book ,pretty, twee lovely places but are generally only habited by very rich(with a tendency to be a bit offish with the "oiks") types and have sod all to do. Probably great to cycle through on a sunny day with lashings of ginger beer.:D

Adam
02-16-2009, 06:55 AM
Gay Capital of the UK!!

Brighton that is. Not that I've been for 20+ years, so I can't comment* - its all I know about it

*doesn't stop me anyway does it?

Lex Diamonds
02-16-2009, 09:41 AM
For breakfast, find a nice café on the South Bank. It won't be cheap but there's nothing better than a decent breakfast as you watch the morning mist rise from the Thames.

Then take a tube/bus to The Kings Road (Sloane Square is the nearest station) and have a walk up it to see the rich part of London. There is an amazing pannenkoeken place called "My Old Dutch", have their eponymous special it's fucking huge and delicious. Depending on cash flow you can buy some nice threads from one of the many shops here or simply just check out the Saatchi gallery (free entry) as me and some mates did the morning after a party there recently. (y)

If it's the weekend, catch a tube over to Camden to have a look around the markets. Everything is dirt cheap but will probably break within a few days so it's still a rip-off. Good place for drugs paraphernalia and cool posters, or just general punk atmosphere.

If you're going to be around for a decent set then get over to Fabric (http://www.fabriclondon.com/) (near Farringdon tube station) for the evening. It can be the best club in town on the right night. Failing that just get over to a trendy indie pub in Camden like The Purple Turtle or the Hope and Anchor.

If you need weed, try Brixton near the station or Camden by the bridge, but be careful because most street dealers will be trying to rip you off. Don't go alone and check before you pay.

Above all, just be cool. If you're lucky you will find a bar near the hotel where you can touch base every day and get to know the people; this is your "local". Bear in mind that the majority of British people hate Americans so you're gonna have to be on top of your game/one charming motherfucker in order to make people wanna chill with you. Anyways have fun and let us know what you do get up to.

Auton
02-16-2009, 07:54 PM
I know that you will be a good sport about Phantom. It's going to be painful but my guess is that someone paid quite a bit for your ticket.

Yes. I did.

While you're there, think about that fact that loads of people make something like that their one big entertainment event for the year. It always floors me.

That's true. Way to make me feel bad! :p

But no seriously, thank you, Documad, Ms Peachy, Peterclamp, Adam, Padster and everyone else who replied, for taking the time to help me out. It's much appreciated. Seriously! I'll let you guys know how it goes, and I'll post pictures if anyone's interested.

Thanks again!

Helvete
02-16-2009, 08:11 PM
London is great, I spent many a day off work just wandering around and discovering cool shit. Don't even bother venturing outside of the capital though, in the time you have London will provide more than enough entertainment.

Some good recommendations from the UK peoples here already, not too much to add expect that I enjoyed going out around Covent Garden and Leicester Square. I am actually long overdue a visit to the place and I keep promising old workmates a night out.

thegoodmrbrodie!
02-17-2009, 04:23 AM
bar polski (http://trustedplaces.com/review/uk/london/bar-pub/1f1317t/bar-polski). when in london, go to a polish bar owned by an australian.

glasshouse stores (http://trustedplaces.com/review/uk/london/bar-pub/1g21h8i/glasshouse-stores). nice trad style pub. tis a sam smiths pub, so no big brands or anything. just nice cheap booze. can get busy at busy times.

john soane's museum. (http://www.soane.org/) pretty crazy little place. you have to wait outside and they come and get you to let you in. lincoln inns field is nice too.

barbican. (http://www.barbican.org.uk/) tis a weird looking place with lots of concrete.

visit york. (http://www.visityork.org/) go on a ghost tour. i can find the correct one to go on if you end up going.

once you have visited york, visit whitby (http://www.visitwhitby.com/index.php). have fish and chips from the magpie cafe. if you can be bothered to queue for years.

all the cool kids live in leeds and brighton. the yorkshire dales are beautiful.

go to brick lane. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brick_Lane) dont have a curry there. have a curry in tooting. go to rough trade east (http://www.roughtrade.com/) while on brick lane.

i could go on. send us a message if you want a pint. :)