PDA

View Full Version : Lent soon!

Adam
02-23-2009, 04:01 AM
Which means pancake day tomorrow! Yum!

I'm giving up religion.

Was any raised catholic like me? I used to say that^ and was told I had to give up two things for being cheeky or something. So used to say I'll give up cigarettes to. (at school, like 11-14 years old). Yeah, I'm a comic genius!

Any1 still believe in this bullshit?

edit: that was my 900th post. Maybe I'll give up posting here - heh, you wish!

edit #2: Is any1 in New Orleans? I want to go there mardi gras one day

trailerprincess
02-23-2009, 04:36 AM
I was raised a Catholic and honestly, regardless of whether I was or not, I prefer to not refer to someones beliefs or perhaps lack of, as bullshit.

Adam
02-23-2009, 04:43 AM
Hmmms, its a good point.

*gah, I've censored my other choices*

Sowwy :(

What if I also make fun of Islam, Jews, Buddhists, Hindu would it be acceptable then?

trailerprincess
02-23-2009, 04:46 AM
Work away (y)

*just kidding. A little Catholic humour.

Anyways, getting back to your original points. I will be making pancakes and am not giving up anything really but going to be 'doing' more. And yeah, I guess I still have faith though I am not really a practising Catholic.

Matt
02-23-2009, 06:49 AM
Around here, everybody "tries" to give up something for lent, even the non-Catholics. My favorites are the ones who "give up" something that they didn't do all that much in the first place, like eat candy or something. In elementary school it was pizza, and that always lasted till Thursday. Thursday was pizza day (y)

As for myself, I'm kinda anti-religion, so I'll smoke more cigarettes and drink more booze. I'm just a rebel like that, ladies.

camo
02-23-2009, 06:52 AM
I was raised a Catholic and honestly, regardless of whether I was or not, I prefer to not refer to someones beliefs or perhaps lack of, as bullshit.

woah! I had to double read that :eek:

Feisty Heather, feisy.

Helvete
02-23-2009, 07:16 AM
Fuck off!

trailerprincess
02-23-2009, 07:16 AM
It's Monday morning. I am easily riled.

camo
02-23-2009, 07:24 AM
diddums :o

Lyman Zerga
02-23-2009, 07:34 AM
i signed off on being catholic last summer and it's hard to believe but christams just felt the same

the only thing that has changed is that im not getting annoying money begging letters from the church anymore

mikizee
02-23-2009, 07:52 AM
Yeah this year for lent I'm going to give up lent.

Myu-to
02-23-2009, 08:57 AM
Was and am.

I've always liked Lent. For me, it's a good time to get my moral compass adjusted.

Helvete
02-23-2009, 10:05 AM
I just had pancakes! Yeah, that's right, a day early! I don't play by the rules.

ET
02-24-2009, 05:17 AM
I don't think many people around here realize that splurging on premium seafood is missing the point of lent. But that's just my view. And it's a view no one seems to agree with.

On that note, I am going to have a steak dinner because I am allergic to seafood. And I will enjoy it thoroughly.

adam_f
02-24-2009, 03:44 PM
I'll probably just watch that Josh Hartnett movie instead of actually giving something up for Lent.

jabumbo
02-24-2009, 03:55 PM
what's all this pancake nonsense about?

i usually at least try and do the no meat thing on fridays, but i end up forgetting some lunch day and all hell breaks loose

Myu-to
02-24-2009, 06:26 PM
I'll probably just watch that Josh Hartnett movie instead of actually giving something up for Lent.
That's some real suffering right there.

i usually at least try and do the no meat thing on fridays, but i end up forgetting some lunch day and all hell breaks loose
Literally.

trailerprincess
02-25-2009, 05:13 AM
I had my brother, sister and her hubby over to my house and we had a mini pancake party. We had lemon/sugar, jam, maple syrup and my sister insisted on finishing my Ben & jerrys fro-yo with hers.

jabumbo
02-25-2009, 01:31 PM
why are we eating pancakes, people!?!?!?! :confused:

Adam
02-25-2009, 02:50 PM
why are we eating pancakes, people!?!?!?! :confused:

http://tinyurl.com/d54ld4 :mad:

Its cus those who so believed in jesus and stuff about has trip into the desert for 40 days used to fast. Thus making pancakes was the quickest way to use up most of the stuff that won't last beyond 40 days. Mainly eggs really. Think some parts of the world call it 'fat day' or something.

Lyman Zerga
02-25-2009, 02:58 PM
waffles for echewta

Waus
02-25-2009, 03:12 PM
Think some parts of the world call it 'fat day' or something.

Fat Tuesday.

If you're anywhere where there's a significant Polish population they have paczki pastries, which are basically just jelly donuts with an insane amount of fat.

Guy Incognito
04-04-2009, 03:38 PM
I went to put a bet on the grand national today and the staff at the bookmakers were discussing if they should put a bet on and one refused because he had given up betting for lent and he works in a fucking bookies, must be absolute torture for the lad.
horse racing is shit, a 100-1 shot wins the fucker and i didnt have it. bollocks.

beastieboysbaby
04-04-2009, 03:40 PM
dude i've been thinking bout this for tha past week. yeah i was raised catholic. but seriously...i don't think i believe in any religions right now? i've been questioning everything. like God. it's weird.