PDA

View Full Version : Privatized Infrastructure (Parking in Chicago)

Dorothy Wood
03-27-2009, 01:22 PM
so, recently chicago decided to lease our parking meters to a private company. the trouble is, the private company is not doing its job. they quadrupled the parking rates, but haven't been collecting the coins often enough so the meters get jammed and stop working. now, city workers are being sent out to help fix the meters and they're billing the private company for the work. ha!

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-parking-meters-26-mar26,0,2913674.story

also, citizen backlash
http://theexpiredmeter.com/?p=2398

NoFenders
03-27-2009, 01:37 PM
You do know the city has it's hand in those meters as well don't you?? Kinda like when the tow trucks went private. Yeah sure. I thnik we all know what's going on there with E&R. Nothing new for this city. Been done this way for years.

Chicago is the most corrupt place on earth. They wanted to make a Democracy out of Iraq when they couldn't even make one out of Cook County.

Dorothy Wood
03-27-2009, 03:54 PM
okay, that really wasn't my point. I was more saying that it's funny that everybody hates the government and wants to privatize infrastructure because a private company would supposedly run it better. and here, they privatized something and have to bring back in city workers to fix things because the private company can't handle it.

NoFenders
03-27-2009, 04:03 PM
You're talking about Chicago here. That's the point. If you don't think Daley and his men have their money in those meters, you don't know much about Chicago. The contract only changed words, not who gets paid for doing the job. Main reason why the city is working on them now.

Dorothy Wood
03-27-2009, 04:21 PM
right, but I'm not talking about whether or not daley has invested in the company that maintains the meters and stands to profit. I'm talking about a private company not providing adequate service.

thanks for derailing my thread!

Bob
03-27-2009, 06:01 PM
right, but I'm not talking about whether or not daley has invested in the company that maintains the meters and stands to profit. I'm talking about a private company not providing adequate service.

it's the government's fault, what don't you understand about this

NoFenders
03-28-2009, 10:25 AM

There's no derail here Dorothy. Look at the bottom line, the city never stopped working on the meters. It's just a fund exchange. Like the towing. Anyone who made money before with the parking meters, is making more now.

Am I speaking Dutch?? Corruption shouldn't be that hard to follow. I know the subtle art was created here in Chicago, but come on.

NoFenders
03-28-2009, 10:26 AM

You're right Bob!!! It sure is! By the way, if you'd really like to put your education to test, try law here.

Dorothy Wood
03-28-2009, 12:08 PM
There's no derail here Dorothy. Look at the bottom line, the city never stopped working on the meters. It's just a fund exchange. Like the towing. Anyone who made money before with the parking meters, is making more now.

Am I speaking Dutch?? Corruption shouldn't be that hard to follow. I know the subtle art was created here in Chicago, but come on.

I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT CORRUPTION IN CHICAGO, IF YOU WANT TO MAKE A CORRUPTION IN CHICAGO THREAD, MAKE ONE!

THIS THREAD IS ABOUT PRIVATIZED INFRASTRUCTURE.

Helvete
03-28-2009, 12:16 PM
I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT CORRUPTION IN CHICAGO, IF YOU WANT TO MAKE A CORRUPTION IN CHICAGO THREAD, MAKE ONE!

THAT'S REALLY INTERESTING! OH NO WAIT, IT'S NOT!

Dorothy Wood
03-28-2009, 12:22 PM
well, considering that some americans would like to sell our roads and bridges to private companies that will "do a better job" because they want to make a profit, here is an example of where it's not working. they're not doing a better job. they're doing a piss poor job.

anyway, clearly I'm the only one who finds it interesting.

Helvete
03-28-2009, 12:41 PM
You made a thread about parking meters. What do you expect?

Bob
03-28-2009, 12:55 PM
You're right Bob!!! It sure is! By the way, if you'd really like to put your education to test, try law here.

i looked it up on law.com, everything's above board

Dorothy Wood
03-28-2009, 12:57 PM
You made a thread about parking meters. What do you expect?

well...a debate on privatized infrastructure?

it's less boring than AIG in my opinion.

NoFenders
03-28-2009, 01:00 PM

You seriously don't see the point???

WOW!!!

Buy a clue!

Dorothy Wood
03-28-2009, 01:10 PM
no, explain your point. and I will purchase a clue.

NoFenders
03-28-2009, 01:23 PM
It's the same people. The only thing that changed was the account number.

That one's on me. ;-)

Dorothy Wood
03-28-2009, 02:14 PM
okay, here's the thing, I'm not stupid. I understand what you're talking about, but it has nothing to do with the issues regarding privatized infrastructure.

Daley's pulling deals all over to get money for the city (and probably for himself and his friends, yes). I know this. You don't have to talk to me like I'm a child.

Morgan Stanley is the money behind this scheme, it's a little more complex than changing account numbers. http://www.morganstanley.com/about/press/articles/045f9d28-c142-11dd-b3a2-8df06e0b6eda.html

My point is that fans of capitalism believe that privatizing infrastructure is more beneficial to citizens than having government in charge because in interest of turning a profit, they will take better care in maintaining what they are leasing. but in this case, they are doing a far shittier job than the government, and in fact, have to bring in government employees to clean up the mess. and citizens are upset and destroying meters, or not parking at all. it's affecting small businesses in areas with metered parking.

I'm sick of talking about it now. you ruined my fun. it's like I made a thread about grilled cheese and you came in and started talking about lactose intolerance.

DroppinScience
03-29-2009, 12:00 PM
anyway, clearly I'm the only one who finds it interesting.

Don't let the chuckle heads get to you. I got your point, understood the irony, and also found it interesting. (y)

yeahwho
03-29-2009, 06:58 PM

It looks like it's the bankers fault, morgan stanley investment group (http://www.parking-net.com/News/28352/Chicago-Parking-Meters--LLC-Selected-as-Winning-Bidder-for-the-Chicago-Metered-Parking-System)formed the contract winner's company and named it "Chicago Parking Meters LLC" they got a a 75-year deal to lease 36,000 meters for almost $1.2 billion.

Whatever it is i'm sure it's the unions fault. those living wage, decent working conditions whores everybody likes to blame for screwing up profit margins.

Here in Seattle we sort of don't have parking meters anymore, we have a system of pay-stations (http://www.roadtraffic-technology.com/projects/parkeon/), (1-4) per block, you walk to the pay station use coins, debit or credit... it dispenses a sticky receipt for your pass. window and the city checks your car for a ticket or not.

It's better because of the multiple ways to pay and parking enforcement just walks by your car rather than driving all over the place. Plus we keep the profits.

RobMoney$
03-29-2009, 11:16 PM
Another fine example of Dorothy's debating skill.

Dorothy Wood
03-29-2009, 11:53 PM
well that's a jerky thing to say. geez.

yeahwho
03-30-2009, 12:14 AM
This is sort of another cluster of lint, the topic is privatization, the reply is corruption and the usual suspects chime in and belittle with complete disregard or inability to stay on topic.

It's so fucking easy to be smug and condescending. To actually research the topic at hand and find a logical criteria for a reply on said topic is just basic asshat impossible for millions of people.

The only debate I've seen here is how far off topic can we get in as little posts as possible.