PDA

View Full Version : mix-master - beats

Justin
07-17-2009, 09:46 PM
Good Evening All,

I was curious if anyone knows exactly when Mix-Master started mixing in different beats with the older beastie songs?

Also, if anyone has any links to any beastie boys interviews where they talk about this? I'm curious to know if this is something mix-master just threw at them during a concert (out of the blue) or if it was something they actually sat down and talked about?

It's very interesting. I remember when it started to happen that most of us hated it and wished Hurricane was back, However, now in 2009, it seems that the majority of us loves what mix-master has done.

Whats your thoughts on what Mix-Master has done during the live shows? Anything you don't like?

Do any of you miss Hurricane?

Laver1969
07-17-2009, 10:09 PM
MMM pretty much changed beats when he started w/the beasties. Kurt Loder did an MTV interview with MMM during a tour stop in Milwaukee during 1998 and he talks about how he switches the beats up and the Beasties don't really know what's coming next.

I've noticed he doesn't really mess around with tracks from their latest album. He may throw in a little something here or there but not too much. So the newest songs get a kinda one-tour grace period.

I didn't really like MMM screwing around with the Beasties' masterpieces when I saw them during the HN tour, but now I'm a huge fan of what he brings to the live show.

I know the Beasties have talked about this in some interviews but the gasket in my search engine keeps breaking down, I think some small holes are developing between the cylinder and the cylinder head, and these holes are causing some leaks...so I can't find any videos, but I'm sure they're out there. (y)

laurie_hammy
07-17-2009, 10:28 PM
I absolutly love when he drops diff beats halfway through the songs. An ya can tell Beastie's REALLY love rapping over them.

Kid Presentable
07-17-2009, 10:37 PM
Hurricane used to fuck around with different beats occasionally, particularly using Bring the Pain (based on bootlegs). The last show he played with them in 97 didn't he drop the New Style beat under Sure Shot?

I like what Mixmaster does sometimes, other times it seems kinda clumsy and wrecks the song (based on clips I've seen which isn't saying much).

Sir SkratchaLot
07-18-2009, 10:25 AM
He's done it since he got with the Beasties on the Hello Nasty tour. The first show I saw with him was the 98 Tibetan Freedom Concert, which was one of their first shows with Mike. They were already doing a lot of beat drops then.

It seems like pretty much conceived from the beginning that he'd do that. It makes a lot of sense if you DJ or make mixtapes. DJs have been doing that sort of thing for a long long time using accapellas and whatnot and it just seems natural to bring that to live shows. It keeps things fresh and different every time.

People used to HATE mike on these boards. Me and a couple other people used to try to defend him but it seemed like a lot of people just didn't get it back then. It's coo that people have started to figure it out.

M.C. Guevera
07-18-2009, 02:35 PM
It'd be nice if MMM started getting unpredictable with his beat dropping. When you hear "So What'cha Want?" you just know that you're going to hear "Breathe" by Fabolous come in when Mike D says, "Well they call me Mike D the ever loving man...". He's been doing that for five years now. It's time to switch things up.

Kid Presentable
07-18-2009, 09:22 PM
He's done it since he got with the Beasties on the Hello Nasty tour. The first show I saw with him was the 98 Tibetan Freedom Concert, which was one of their first shows with Mike. They were already doing a lot of beat drops then.

It seems like pretty much conceived from the beginning that he'd do that. It makes a lot of sense if you DJ or make mixtapes. DJs have been doing that sort of thing for a long long time using accapellas and whatnot and it just seems natural to bring that to live shows. It keeps things fresh and different every time.

People used to HATE mike on these boards. Me and a couple other people used to try to defend him but it seemed like a lot of people just didn't get it back then. It's coo that people have started to figure it out.

Just because it's de rigeur for hip-hop, doesn't mean it's always going to sound amazing or people are going to like it.

laurie_hammy
07-18-2009, 10:25 PM
When freeway & let me clear my throat drops ya can telll they fully feel it.