PDA

View Full Version : does anyone actually like the taste of whiskey?

insertnamehere
10-30-2009, 02:00 AM
besides me

ms.peachy
10-30-2009, 02:23 AM
YES

Bob
10-30-2009, 02:28 AM
i never got the hang of the taste of it, it tastes like hate and sadness (generally the things that drive me to drink it straight up). i like it with soda though. i drink it with that pretty regularly. i'm basically a huge girl i guess

TOY
10-30-2009, 02:31 AM
No.

mickill
10-30-2009, 03:51 AM
Hell yes. Blended or single malt, preferably neat.

ms.peachy
10-30-2009, 03:58 AM
There's a little shelf next to our fridge where we have about 5 bottles of different brands of scotch. Sometimes when I am going to get something out of the refrigerator I stop and open one and take a long sniff, just because I like to do that.

Adam
10-30-2009, 03:59 AM
Oh god yeah - single malts all the way. I have a unhealthy addiction to whisky from the scottish highlands.

Don't tell the alcohol police but I have been known to have it first thing I'm awake before 6am.

For the guys that don't like the taste, stop drinking blended or bourbon and get a good malt. Don't mix it with soda and if neat is a little too harsh, had an ice cube or two and wait 10 mins - slowly sip.

mickill
10-30-2009, 04:39 AM
For the guys that don't like the taste, stop drinking blended or bourbon and get a good malt. Don't mix it with soda and if neat is a little too harsh, had an ice cube or two and wait 10 mins - slowly sip.

For someone who doesn't actually appreciate the taste, I think some blended whiskeys really aren't that bad.

I tried a glass of Johnny Walker Blue in a hotel bar once (30 dollars), and it was actually really smooth. Like, velvety smooth even. Of course, $200 a bottle for a blended scotch is a little on the insane side, but it was still good. Might have to do with the 60 year age. Apparently blended scotches plateau after 25 years or so.

Helvete
10-30-2009, 04:45 AM
I hate whiskey so badly. I literally cannot drink it, a single shot and I will throw up.

Kid Presentable
10-30-2009, 04:48 AM
I'll drink anything.

Adam
10-30-2009, 04:48 AM
When I say blended, I mean stuff like Grants or Famous Grouse and a few other cheap and popular drinks. Stuff like BNJ is good. Also, I'm a fan of Sherry Cast blended and there are some good double malts out there. So what I said ain't exactly true.

There is a blended that comes out for the Edinburgh Fringe actually so you can only get it once a year - I should grab some of that before it all goes cus that was a while ago now.

ms.peachy
10-30-2009, 05:11 AM
if neat is a little too harsh, had an ice cube or two and wait 10 mins - slowly sip.

According to the (rather fanciable, not that that's relevant, just remembering fondly) bloke who led the distillery tour I went on a few years ago, it is best not to go strictly neat but to add a splash of water (or, an ice cube and 10 mins, as suggested) because the water 'liberates' more of the whiskey's subtle flavours. Has something to do with the density of molecules; the water molecules are bigger and so they space the booze molecules out to have more surface area, or some kind of thing like that. I don't remember exactly; I'd been drinking scotch. Duh.

Kid Presentable
10-30-2009, 06:01 AM
Yeah keep a small glass of very chilled water handy. Or not. Straight out the bottle, brown paper bag

Lex Diamonds
10-30-2009, 07:29 AM
There's obviously good tasting and bad tasting whiskey but I find if you're at the point where you're drinking a bottle of neat whiskey then you don't worry too much about the taste. As long as you got some strong cigarettes it goes down the same whatever the flavour.

insertnamehere
10-30-2009, 08:19 AM
hmmm maybe i should try the water/ice cube thing. i dont know what neat means but from context im assuming it means straight up and room temp, which is how i typically drink it. i like the taste but not the burning. does the 10 min ice cube rule help with burning?

i remember being a fan of jamesons but i cant remember what it actually tastes like, its been forever since ive had any. ive curently got a bottle of jack daniels black, and ive been known to buy george dickel in a plastic bottle.

dont hate.

MC Moot
10-30-2009, 11:38 AM
yes...and my fave is on the rocks with a nice rich cafe con leche...a hit of hot coffee then a hit of cold whiskey...after a meal or for breakfast on holiday...

http://www.fortycreekwhisky.com/splash/

trailerprincess
10-30-2009, 12:30 PM
I like a whiskey sour

MC Moot
10-30-2009, 12:35 PM
^oui,oui say oui...nice reminder,I think i'll get up to that tonight maybe...

saz
10-30-2009, 12:39 PM
canadian club (http://www.jacksonholewineandspirits.com/images/bn/160/6356.jpg) (y)

MC Moot
10-30-2009, 12:54 PM
http://www.crownroyal.com/home.aspx

MC Moot
10-30-2009, 12:56 PM
http://www.gibsonsfinest.ca/

jabumbo
10-30-2009, 01:11 PM
nothing wrong with a little dickel (y)

my dad doesn't drink beer, so he is a bit of a whisky connoisseur if there ever was one. his preferred method is to add a few ice cubes and occasionally the splash of water for some of the rougher stuff.

hard for me to drink the cheap stuff though, since i've always been provided with something a little higher up. about a week before my 21st birthday i was at a party with the family and the old fellas had me join in on their 60 yr old whisky tasting. it was almost too good, really.

insertnamehere
10-30-2009, 02:11 PM
i like the coffee idea. i might have to give that a go. and i loooove whiskey sours. i get cravings for them sometimes. not in an alcoholic kind of way, just in that i really like the taste of them.

checkyourprez
10-30-2009, 02:19 PM
i fucking hate whiskey. i only do shots of it when they are given to me, even then its just to do it so i dont look like a pussy.

worst part about my hate of whiskey is my favorite bar has $2.50 jameson shots as they're every day special.

cj hood
10-30-2009, 02:45 PM
i drink crown royal...my man gave me some honey wild turkey...kept in the freezer...looks like honey, pours like honey, tastes like honey (at first)...then bam! gobble...gobble!!!

b i o n i c
10-30-2009, 02:49 PM
^ haha

i dont really like the taste of whiskey... i always get that woody taste stuck in my mouth that reminds me of hangover. and woody whiskey heartburn burps

i do love the taste of some good gin..

i went into a bar by myself waiting for a friend last week and asked for a bombay sapphire martini in a regular glass and the chick poured me what looked like a full 10oz of gin. those glasses are deceiving

camo
10-30-2009, 02:49 PM
I used to love it but since drinking way too much of it on my 21st my body has become intolerable to it.

I can't even have a drunken conversation with someone if I can smell it on their breath.

HEIRESS
10-30-2009, 03:11 PM
a uncle from my scottish side of the family died recently and I attended the wake.
I have never seen so many bottles of scotch drank in one single evening in my ENTIRE life.

every since my brother and I were in the double digits age-wise my dad has forced a wee shot of scotch on us xmas morning as soon as we woke up. even if it was 6 am.
I hated the taste so he used to mix it with cold chocolate milk for me.
and to this day he still mixes it with chocolate milk even though I'm 27 now :)

b i o n i c
10-30-2009, 03:22 PM
is this just tradition, or was it just to calm a couple of overexcited kids down before they start ripping apart presents?

paul jones
10-30-2009, 03:23 PM
I have to have it with coke or NO DEAL(y)

checkyourprez
10-30-2009, 03:41 PM
I have to have it with coke or NO DEAL(y)

ha

insertnamehere
10-30-2009, 03:59 PM
i bought the whiskey i was drinking last night for a halloween party. i fear ive drunk too much for the rest to last me through partying, so if i have to go back to the liquor store i'll try one of the previously mentioned brands and branch out.

actually i wont go back to the same liquor store, i'll go to a different liquor store.

insertnamehere
10-30-2009, 04:00 PM
i never got the hang of the taste of it, it tastes like hate and sadness (generally the things that drive me to drink it straight up). i like it with soda though. i drink it with that pretty regularly. i'm basically a huge girl i guess

it is for this reason i think that when im drunk on whiskey i get the urge to listen to country music.

Dorothy Wood
10-30-2009, 10:12 PM
I should try a whiskey sour again, I've only had it once, accidentally. My friend was supposed to order me a whiskey soda (soda water), but the bartender gave her a whiskey sour. I downed the motherfucker, and was so bombed I had to spend the night at her house because I couldn't even trust myself to get in and out of a cab to my house that was only a mile away.

anyway, I like whiskey on the rocks sometimes. my friends' bar serves a whiskey drink that has a block of ice in it and a dash of something or other, it's pretty and delicious. 8 bucks though. f that.

I drink scotch on the rocks when I'm flying in a plane. makes me feel like an old fashioned business man. (y)

Gareth
10-30-2009, 10:41 PM
I drink scotch on the rocks when I'm flying in a plane. makes me feel like an old fashioned business man.

some of my friends drink old fashioned.
i don't...too pussy.

ms.peachy
10-31-2009, 04:37 AM
I went out last night and had two big strong Manhattans at happy hour.

I was happy for several hours after that.

insertnamehere
10-31-2009, 08:29 AM
ive never had scotch but i feel like i need to give it a go

miss soul fire
10-31-2009, 09:24 AM
No. It's bad. Like any other kind of alcoholic drink. I hate beer, wine and everything else. It tastes like piss.
However, I drink some, once in a while.(n)

Guy Incognito
10-31-2009, 09:36 AM
besides me

i imagine it would be nice to taste whiskey beside you.:D

seriously tho i have never been a massive fan of any spirits.

sjp
10-31-2009, 10:07 AM
jameson or wild turkey

BangkokB
10-31-2009, 03:14 PM
*Scroll Down TLDR

No it doesn't. And when I used to watch the movies where they'd drink like it was the nectar of the Gods I thought that was how it was drunk by the pros.

Well let me tell you: I'm a black belt when it comes to drinking and all liquors straight taste like shit to me.

Which leads me to this observation: Sprite, now that's a terrible drink. I believe that it was solely made to be mixed w/ Vodka bc that's the only way I can drink it. I'm sure that I'm not the only person to come to that realization but I'm throwing it out there anyway

trailerprincess
11-01-2009, 02:14 PM
I went out last night and had two big strong Manhattans at happy hour.

I was happy for several hours after that.

(y) I went out last night and had 2 whiskey sours. They were deeelicious

hpdrifter
11-01-2009, 02:32 PM
I can't stand it, it makes me absolutely ill.

I'm with camo, if I can even smell it I want to vomit.

b-grrrlie
11-01-2009, 07:12 PM
I prefer single malt Scotch.
I was actually tasting some last week, and got paid for it! There's some that are gonna be released for Swedish market and they wanted to test the waters first (I often go to these consumer tasting thingies, rice cakes, müsli, white wine, soy yoghurts, now for the first time it was whisky!).
There was one reference whisky that's already available here and we had to give points if the new ones were worth the money. Two of them tasted better with a half a teaspoon of water, one was just gorgeous as it was! It had a deer on the label, but can't remember what it was called now. And I'm a bit embarrassed to say I thought the one from Jura reminded me of heathery highs and the one from highlands had more tar-ry taste! :o Oops!

I do like Irish whiskey as well, but haven't had any for ages! But I can smell Jameson straight away! Also I like whiskey liquor, Southern Comfort and Rusty Nail!

jabumbo
11-01-2009, 07:46 PM
i find rusty nails somewhat disgusting. the aftertaste just doesn't sit well with me. that drambouie is just far too sweet for my liking!

ericlee
11-01-2009, 10:03 PM
I hate the taste very much. I took a shot of Jameson last night and almost hurled it instantly.

I used to like the taste of just Jameson but I can't handle it anymore.

Bob
11-01-2009, 10:05 PM
you know what's good is a shot that's about half jameson and half bailey's. you have to drink it quick before it curdles but it's like drinking hot chocolate on account of the burning sensation on the way down. delightful.

sjp
11-02-2009, 03:39 AM
you know what's good is a shot that's about half jameson and half bailey's. you have to drink it quick before it curdles but it's like drinking hot chocolate on account of the burning sensation on the way down. delightful.

irish carbomb?

i like baby guiness too though poor kalua in a shot glass on top put baileys it looks like a mini guiness tastes so good

b-grrrlie
11-02-2009, 06:20 AM

irish carbomb?

i like baby guiness too though poor kalua in a shot glass on top put baileys it looks like a mini guiness tastes so good

Gotta remember those drinks!
Usually I have most of those in my liquor cabinet, but haven't been to Finland / had visitors from there for ages so tax free spirits are prettty few at the mo.

jabumbo
11-02-2009, 09:18 AM
i love a good irish carbomb, but the chugging always does me in. i have to down it with minimal swallows or i'll probably end up puking if i drink anymore afterwards

Tzar
11-02-2009, 11:50 AM
american honey

/endthread

skra75
11-04-2009, 01:29 PM
a uncle from my scottish side of the family died recently and I attended the wake.
I have never seen so many bottles of scotch drank in one single evening in my ENTIRE life.

every since my brother and I were in the double digits age-wise my dad has forced a wee shot of scotch on us xmas morning as soon as we woke up. even if it was 6 am.
I hated the taste so he used to mix it with cold chocolate milk for me.
and to this day he still mixes it with chocolate milk even though I'm 27 now :)

that is such and adorable story : )