PDA

View Full Version : I find it strange that some people are still really into Pearl Jam.

Drederick Tatum
11-26-2009, 08:36 PM
how many times do you need to hear Betterman?

checkyourprez
11-26-2009, 08:59 PM

i dont know 1 person really into pearl necklace jam.

but im sure they are out there.

mate_spawn_die
11-26-2009, 09:02 PM
yeah, me too.

pshabi
11-27-2009, 01:47 AM
On the Pearl Jam message board there is this exact thread but it's about the Bboys and Sabotage

Documad
11-27-2009, 01:54 AM
I do love Betterman.

b i o n i c
11-27-2009, 02:26 AM
awesome they jamming pearled that (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbeRBN-OYEE)

mickill
11-27-2009, 03:28 AM
Yellow Ledbetter (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLd22ha_-VU&feature=player_embedded) > Betterman

And yeah, despite a handful of decent songs, I really can't understand any remaining/enduring interest in this band by people who have actual ears.

Drederick Tatum
11-27-2009, 06:10 AM
well pshabi, to be fair, I also find it strange that some people are still really into the Beastie Boys.

most people I know who are still heavily into Pearl Jam were also the ones whose minds were blown by the awesomeness of Creed.

ericlee
11-27-2009, 07:11 AM
I was once driving from northern Ohio to southern Ohio and I started nodding off at the wheel. Betterman came on the radio and I instantly woke up and jammed along with it. I have no idea why I felt awake when it came on, it's not even one of my most liked songs by them.

There still is a huge handful of songs that I do enjoy by them and I could listen to them over and over.

Sadly to say, not many Beastie tunes hold the same value.

yeahwho
11-27-2009, 07:24 AM
I love me the PJ, still incredible live, I was a 10 club member for years, I have all but the the 2007 & '08 Christmas singles. They've laid more than a few eggs that's for sure but ultimately they've stayed very true to themselves and even more importantly the fans. It'a sort of a local thing and most of the people up here in the NW are very low key about the band. We take no umbrage nor put on any eminence about the band. They rock the place then move on.

They still put on one heck of a great live show, I'm tellin' again like I've been tellin' peoples for the past 10+ years Mike McCready is a complete rock and roll maniac, he eats, breathes, shits rock and roll 24/7/365. He has a giant heart and guitar prowess that never ceases to amaze live, it's to be witnessed at least once in your life.

RobMoney$
11-27-2009, 11:20 AM
Just curious, who are people supposed to be into then?

NicRN77
11-27-2009, 12:25 PM
I've never been a huge PJ fan, but have some of their albums and do enjoy the music. I saw them live back in 2003...one of the best gigs I've ever been to. I do quite like the new album as well.

Guy Incognito
11-27-2009, 03:33 PM

u2?

just for the record, i was never really into them, i didnt mind a couple of the albums but i think there were far better rock bands about then and there are far better ones about now.

Documad
11-27-2009, 03:34 PM
I don't buy many of their albums but I try to see them whenever they're in town. They always give good live -- one of the few bands I'll see in an arena.

(I've bought a fair number of their live concerts from their website so I do own their music despite not buying the studio albums. )

YoungRemy
11-27-2009, 04:07 PM
never seen them live and have not purchased an album since vs., but cannot help but enjoy anything off of those first two albums...

most live videos I see of them from youtube are kind of bland, what is an iconic performance or famous concert they played that fans always look back to as "one for the ages"?

HEIRESS
11-27-2009, 04:24 PM

as many times as it takes until you are better, man.

RobMoney$
11-27-2009, 04:46 PM
what is an iconic performance or famous concert they played that fans always look back to as "one for the ages"?

they pretty much made "The Gorge" what it is today.

Also, they're well known for never doing the same setlist twice, i.e. Radiohead & Springsteen.
Not bad company to be in.

yeahwho
11-27-2009, 05:29 PM
most live videos I see of them from youtube are kind of bland, what is an iconic performance or famous concert they played that fans always look back to as "one for the ages"?

Early on they did this off the hook performance of Neil Young's Keep on Rockin' in the Free World (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUJGlI13KdE)which touches at McCready's talent and energy. It in fact influenced Neil so much he asked Mike to make a record and go on a World Tour with him.

I don't buy many of their albums but I try to see them whenever they're in town. They always give good live -- one of the few bands I'll see in an arena.

(I've bought a fair number of their live concerts from their website so I do own their music despite not buying the studio albums. )

They have over 650 self made bootlegs of their own concerts, all in Hi Fi Stereo.

people like bueller (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4zyjLyBp64)

saz
11-27-2009, 08:47 PM
not only pearl jam or the beastie boys, but the red hot chilli peppers, soundgarden, jane's addiction, rage against the machine, alice in chains et al

Knuckles
11-28-2009, 09:52 AM
I think Backspacer is a fun album.

Kid Presentable
11-28-2009, 12:13 PM
I find it strange that some people are still into thinking a person's taste in music makes them a better or worse individual than another. That shit is classic 2002.

Drederick Tatum
11-28-2009, 02:08 PM
I'm a worse individual than the majority of people out there. I accepted that a long time ago.

didn't know 2002 was the high point for music snobbery. you must tell me about it sometime.

this thread was merely a reaction to the frenzied facebook posts from old acquaintances whose interest in listening to new music ceased as they hit puberty.

Documad
11-28-2009, 02:22 PM
this thread was merely a reaction to the frenzied facebook posts from old acquaintances whose interest in listening to new music ceased as they hit puberty.

Okay, I can forgive the PJ bashing and get with you on the substance of your complaint. I'm a lot older than you so I've been seeing it happen with my friends for ages. They make fun of me for going to lots of concerts. They might see one concert a year at an arena and it's a band they've liked since high school or college. They claim there is no good music out there anymore. But they haven't tried any new music and they make fun of it without knowing what they're talking about. But PJ is still good live. Better than the bands my ancient friends are still seeing. :p

And Knuckles, I thought about buying Backspacer. It's been in my hand at my local shop several times. But PJ are apparently the only current band who doesn't give you a free mp3 code when you buy the vinyl. When they do that, it's easier for me to feel like the $20 for new vinyl is worth the money.

yeahwho
11-28-2009, 07:12 PM
I have friends (well mainly people at work) who only listen to the occasional "Classic Rock" song that has been played so many times it's too worn for elevators.

They also never listen to Hip Hop. Very rarely go to concerts and since I live here in Seattle they always talk about the days of Grunge.

Nice people who I guess hit their function in life somewhere between 16 and 21 years of age. Fucking drives me batty.

We are here to create not stagnate.

Kid Presentable
11-29-2009, 12:36 AM
didn't know 2002 was the high point for music snobbery. you must tell me about it sometime.

It was awesome, but usually I'm too cool to admit it.

Seriously I was surprised, they played here recently and got rave reviews. They have almost transcended the rugbyhead anthem stage and become some sort of institution. I always liked 'Satans Bed' but I can't confess to being a fuckin yuge fan. I just let their fans be.

Creed is a whole nother level of abortion juice compared to Pearl Jam though. Pearl Jam are the Beatles compared to Creed.

yeahwho
11-29-2009, 02:07 AM
Once we all went over to a guys house I work with for a Poker night and from 7:00PM till 1:00AM the only music played was Jimmy Buffet.

Talk about out and out fucked up. I thought I was an alcoholic, you have to be pretty fucking spent to actually call that a night of entertainment.

Just thinking of some of my worse experiences with strange ass tastes.

saz
11-30-2009, 08:00 PM
they always talk about the days of Grunge.

that's what i was trying to get at in my first reply, not to necessarily single out any band, but rather those who continually reminisce about the early to mid 90s, as if there were no good bands before or afterwards.

yeahwho
11-30-2009, 08:28 PM
I only recently could listen to nirvana, there is a limit. Unlike Jimi Hendrix (another seattle native) the grunge bands do have an expiration date.

hpdrifter
11-30-2009, 08:39 PM
Yeah, our perspective is a little skewed because we're right at the launching pad. PJ is still a big deal around here but not sure how well they've stood up in other parts of the US/World.

I actually wasn't into them when they first exploded (for some reason when I was 14 you were into either Nirvana or Pearl Jam but not both) so my appreciation developed long after their popularity waned. I am still relatively new to them in many ways so can enjoy stuff that, for most, may have become stale.

I will echo those who said they put on a great live show.

yeahwho
11-30-2009, 08:43 PM
Yeah, our perspective is a little skewed because we're right at the launching pad. PJ is still a big deal around here but not sure how well they've stood up in other parts of the US/World.

The weird thing is when I'm walking around town in the winter and I see some dude with cut offs, flannel, long hair and a goatee looking all serious and shoe gazee.

That shit is funny.

DipDipDive
11-30-2009, 10:02 PM
I like Pearl Jam.

But I understand why people don't.

paul jones
12-02-2009, 08:36 PM
I like jam on toast sometimes

MC Moot
12-09-2009, 06:08 PM
Because they're fantastic… (http://video.pbs.org/video/1335500400/)

yeahwho
12-10-2009, 08:59 AM
Because they're fantastic… (http://video.pbs.org/video/1335500400/)

The last 12:34 of that clip is outstanding, (y)

MC Moot
12-10-2009, 11:01 AM
^Did you see this?… (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjB1r77JljM&feature=player_embedded)(y)

hpdrifter
12-10-2009, 01:20 PM
The weird thing is when I'm walking around town in the winter and I see some dude with cut offs, flannel, long hair and a goatee looking all serious and shoe gazee.

That shit is funny.

I was at the hawks game on Sunday and it was like 12 degrees or something. I saw a dude walking around in shorts and a t-shirt.

Only in Seattle.

MC Moot
12-10-2009, 01:29 PM
Only in Seattle.

and Portland and Vancouver...:D

MC Moot
12-10-2009, 01:32 PM

That shit is funny.

Yeah,what a fashion faux pas...so obliviously missing the untied dock martens...

abbott
12-11-2009, 03:04 PM
i got free tickets to a pearl jam concert and could not give them away ... for real

Documad
12-12-2009, 01:36 AM
i got free tickets to a pearl jam concert and could not give them away ... for real
It's difficult to believe unless you have no friends who like live music or the tickets were total shit.

I've had extra tickets to shows (and sporting events) a few times and if no friends want them I give them to the guys at my record store.