PDA

View Full Version : ARSE biscuit!

ms.peachy
12-30-2009, 03:47 AM
My bathroom has no cabinets. No place to stick all my girlie accoutrement and suchlike, So I have this cheap plastic shelf unit thing I got as a 'temporary measure', until I could sort out something better and less crap looking, where my shit wouldn't be all on-display like. Was at a friends over Thanksgiving and she had a small decorated wood cabinet in her bathroom that I thought, "aha, something like that would be good."

So this morning I measured the space I have for something to fit in, and this afternoon I went to the fake antiques market; haggled like crazy over this cabinet, got the price down from 1500RMB to 450RMB, managed to get it home in a taxi after cajoling and sweet talking the driver, cleaned it thoroughly with a gentle soap and water, AND IT DOESN'T FARKING FIT IN THE SPACE WHERE I WANT IT TO GO. Because there's this liiiiittle metal bar hanging down under the counter that I never noticed before now.

Damn it.:mad:

paul jones
12-30-2009, 04:42 AM
just use a cardboard box.

Adam
12-30-2009, 09:09 AM
You can tell I'm classier than Paul cus I use a plastic box bought from poundland (y)

jabumbo
12-30-2009, 09:18 AM
a liiiiitle metal bar never stopped me from anything....

my bathroom actually has more storage space than i could ever use. i keep all the towels god ever created in the little closet, and the extra/rarely used bathroom items in a little cupboard above the toilet. so i have 3 empty drawers beside the sink and nothing but some spare TP in the doors underneath it!

take my bath, peachy. i'm sure you could fill it up better than i could!

nodanaonlyzuul
12-30-2009, 01:06 PM
I'm having the same issue in my bathroom. There are things just set up in ways that ruin my plans to put an organizer of some kind in spots. And those spots are the only spots that would work otherwise.

I hate it. I need to go to BB&B and figure something out. I hope they have several options there.

Adam
12-30-2009, 03:13 PM
I once counted 41 open bottles of cosmetic bottles in my bathroom when I had housemates

russhie
12-30-2009, 07:09 PM
^ haha when I lived with two other girls, our shower had eight bottles of opened conditioner and TWELVE bottles of shampoo - of which, two were mine. Add to that five bottles of body wash, four different kinds of facial exfoliant, two body scrubs and six bottles of facial cleansers, plus razors, pumice stones, loofahs, washers, scrubbing gloves, and treatment produdcts - it was pretty crowded in that shower.

Dorothy Wood
12-30-2009, 08:23 PM
does the cabinet have feet that you could take off to make it shorter?

my bathroom is large, but has only a medicine cabinet. my roommate put in cupboards and such, but it still looks weird. could be worse. our shower is packed full of crap, but there's about a 2'x1' wide window sill that handles all of it.

ms.peachy
12-30-2009, 10:03 PM
does the cabinet have feet that you could take off to make it shorter?

Sadly it's not a height thing, it's a width thing. There's no way around it. The problem is that the bar is part of the support brace for the sink. I put mr.p on the case to try to find a work-around, to see if it was possible to shift the brace at all (I only need about 1.5cm more!) but he says no luck.

:(

I mean, at the end of the day, 450 RMB is only about 41 GBP, or 66 USD. So we're not talking a massive amount of money, and I suppose I can find another place for it, and go get another one that does fit (now that I know the new measurement I must abide by). It's just annoying is all. Poops.

Dorothy Wood
12-30-2009, 10:57 PM
oh, fiddle sticks! 1.5 cm? how maddening! I suppose trying to hack a chunk out of the cabinet isn't really worth it. :/

jabumbo
12-30-2009, 11:32 PM
oh come on! i've seen bigger fudgeries than that! you can make this work, you just have to put your mind to it.

you should post pictures of the unit, the obstructing piece and the location of said piece. we can do this!

Dorothy Wood
12-30-2009, 11:41 PM
oh, good idea, jab.

I once deconstructed a couch in order to fit it through the front entrance of my old apartment. the back wasn't much to look at after I put it together and tried to put the upholstery back in place, but it worked!

Adam
12-31-2009, 04:00 AM
I think the only option is to knock the wall down.

ericlee
12-31-2009, 12:25 PM
You do have a toilet, right? I hated using my inlaws' bathroom because they had a damn squat spot. They got it changed to a regular toilet eventually.

ms.peachy
12-31-2009, 02:38 PM
You do have a toilet, right? I hated using my inlaws' bathroom because they had a damn squat spot. They got it changed to a regular toilet eventually.

Ha no, it's a proper toilet. Although I have to say, the squat pot is not so bad, once you get used to such a thing. In a skirt, it's actually maybe even more convenient really. I've spent a fair amount of time in Paris too and many of the older cafes have pissoirs, which is the same thing really so it wasn't a total shock.

ms.peachy
12-31-2009, 02:39 PM
Oh and also, I went today and bought another cabinet. Same place so they knew I wasn't going to fuck about on price so they went in at 450 and I ended up getting it for 300.