PDA

View Full Version : i have no passion in life

Bob
01-15-2010, 01:27 AM
there's something i've noticed from this whole online dating thing, and it's that probably seven out of ten of the profiles of women that i look at seem to either have a stated passion in their life or insist that their ideal match be passionate about something in their life (they're all very specific about the word "passion", or occasionally "ambition")

i don't have that. and i'm not upset that i don't have that. i'm comfortable with my lack of passion in my life. i'm good with myself, apart from the well-suppressed self-loathing. i'm more annoyed that i'm expected to have an identifiable "passion". it just feels pretentious to me, that word, i don't know, to say "well a little bit about myself, i'm passionate about art and the environment, what are you passionate about?" your mom, fuck you, here's my half of the check

when did that word get so popular? since when were we expected to list our passions like that? is it such a dealbreaker that i never picked one up?

annoying

TurdBerglar
01-15-2010, 02:13 AM
your passion is the bbmb, bob

duh

Miho
01-15-2010, 02:14 AM
You should hook up with someone here. It's your destiny.

TurdBerglar
01-15-2010, 02:18 AM
yeah bob, i live practically down the street from you ;)

Miho
01-15-2010, 02:20 AM
insertnamehere and Bob would make a good couple.

kaiser soze
01-15-2010, 02:51 AM
I heard bob's hand is single

don't worry about the passion speak - it's usually a selling point, people don't want to date boring people ya know?

ms.peachy
01-15-2010, 03:13 AM
don't worry about the passion speak - it's usually a selling point, people don't want to date boring people ya know?

I'm not quite sure how that's supposed to make him feel better?

Bob
01-15-2010, 03:16 AM
yeah i'm actually fairly boring tbh

it's kind of like describing seinfeld to people. if someone asked you why seinfeld was worth watching, or what seinfeld was about, you couldn't really tell them, you'd just say "i dunno, it's funny"

if you asked "what's bob about, why is bob worth dating" you couldn't say "oh well he travels around the world and plays rugby and is passionate about global warming" you'd just say "i dunno, he's funny" and that's true, i could totally see someone dating me for that fact but it isn't really a selling point

and i'm cool with not traveling around the world and playing rugby and being passionate about global warming, i literally have no interest in any of that, i just like being funny, i'm good with that

Bob
01-15-2010, 03:24 AM
see? even owning an antique counts as passion (http://www.okcupid.com/profile/kashmir7)

Bob
01-15-2010, 03:25 AM
yeah i was cougar hunting, deal with it

HAL 9000
01-15-2010, 03:34 AM
Bob, this may have been made for you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz2-49q6DOI

Bob
01-15-2010, 03:46 AM

that's amazing because to be 100% honest i did kind of have david mitchell in mind while i was writing that post (and i've never seen that video before)

Adam
01-15-2010, 04:15 AM
insertnamehere and Bob would make a good couple.

this. I seriously think you two would be perfect to.

People lie on those profiles though. I put something like I have a passion for technology on my profile when I actually meant I play WoW 18 hours a day. You've just got to play the lie until you both find out your lying to each other

camo
01-15-2010, 07:34 AM
Bob. These profiles are like C.V's. Everyone uses a little exaggeration on there to make themselves seem better.

Maybe you need to approach yours in a droll fashion. You're dry and funny as fuck. I'm sure you could fill out these profiles and make some girls chuckle.

Audio.
01-15-2010, 07:45 AM
annoyingly most of the ladies in that site had there lips puckered. Like 88% doing the same damn gesture on their photos - yeah I was peeping at their photos.

jabumbo
01-15-2010, 09:04 AM
see? even owning an antique counts as passion (http://www.okcupid.com/profile/kashmir7)

I THINK SHE IS PERFECT FOR YOU, BOB. YOU COULD MAKE LOVE TO HER WHILE LISTENING TO 1999.

roosta
01-15-2010, 09:55 AM
i've got lots of interests, but I don't think I have any passions. I'm alright with this though.

Passions to me are when people are singularly into the one thing, and devote all their time to it. I have a bunch of stuff i'm very interested in and practice and read about and do and all. But they don't feel like passions.

NicRN77
01-15-2010, 10:46 AM
i've got lots of interests, but I don't think I have any passions. I'm alright with this though.

This is exactly what I was going to say.

People on dating sites just try to beef up their profiles to get more dates anyhow. When you meet them most turn out to be lame.

hpdrifter
01-15-2010, 12:41 PM
Agreed with Nic and roosta. Just say you're into movies and music. Ask the chicks out anyway who say they have a passion. They're most not likely going to write back with "actually before I can say yes, I need you to answer the question about the passion". What do you have to lose?

Your sense of humor is a great selling point. Put some comedy into your profile

Dorothy Wood
01-15-2010, 01:11 PM
I think you'll find a better match on dating sites when you're honest.

The ladies you're talking about sound like assholes. Just write something funny. Not too self-deprecating though.

As for passion...I would say you're pretty passionate about comedy, you love it, right? but don't say that. I LOVE COMEDY, IAM PASSION FOR IT!

Passion is a stupid word.

Kid Presentable
01-15-2010, 01:16 PM
People who want other people to have 'passions' can fuck off.

NicRN77
01-15-2010, 01:16 PM
Bob, you had mentioned joining Boston Cares. Have you volunteered anywhere yet? The few places I have volunteered have been loaded with ladies lending their free time...lucky you! Where are all the men volunteers??

jabumbo
01-15-2010, 02:15 PM
this here (http://www.pittsburghpassion.com/) is the only passion any real man needs....

gbsuey
01-15-2010, 03:08 PM
Hi, my name is Sue. I have a cat. And 2 children. I have got brown hair and blue eyes and i live in a house with a big garden. I've got a gsoh,and i like music. Also reading, spending time with my friends and dancing.

See....it needs sexing up a bit, that's why those lying bastards claim to be passionate about everything.

Hi, my name is Sue and i just adore cats and am sooooo passionate about parenting. I live in the most awesome house with an amazing landscaped garden, actually i'm passionate about gardening and houses too. Music is my passion etc etc . Bullshit.

But hope it works out for you, be honest, who fucking cares if you just like stuff....who needs to be sooooo into the shit they like doing???

Adam
01-15-2010, 04:26 PM
the meanest thing that he ever did was before he left, he went and named me Sue

Bob
01-15-2010, 05:02 PM
i've decided to edit my profile to include the word "passion" as frequently and obnoxiously as possible. the right girl will get the joke. the last two women to message me though have been a transsexual (from london, no less, so even if i were up for it it wouldn't matter) and an amputee (which i don't mind, but she was kind of fat so eh)

Bob, you had mentioned joining Boston Cares. Have you volunteered anywhere yet? The few places I have volunteered have been loaded with ladies lending their free time...lucky you! Where are all the men volunteers??

yeah i've done a few things. i did the food pantry thing with the boston living center as well as serving lunch a few times. i've also done the prison book program, where prisoners send you letters asking for books and you do your best for them. i'm going again tomorrow actually, i think that one's my favorite so far.

Adam
01-15-2010, 05:39 PM
what about getting a prison gf? You get to write to them and may get a conjugal visit or two out of it.

NicRN77
01-15-2010, 05:55 PM
yeah i've done a few things. i did the food pantry thing with the boston living center as well as serving lunch a few times. i've also done the prison book program, where prisoners send you letters asking for books and you do your best for them. i'm going again tomorrow actually, i think that one's my favorite so far.

(y) good for you! I really like the Boston Living Center. I'm serving lunch their next Tuesday and then I think the following week. I served dinner there last week and the people volunteering were pretty cool.

Did you meet any nice people?

Caribou
01-15-2010, 08:12 PM

Damn you HAL, I totally wanted to post that! :mad:

Passion is a load of wank and often used by people who think it makes them more interesting than someone who would say that they just very much like something. (ie. I like to read vs. I'm PASSIONATE about reading. Srsly, fuck off).

I think that not being overly passionate about anything shows you're a person with your feet planted firmly on the ground, and that's a very positive trait imo.

I am rather 'passionate' about British comedies/comedians, although obsessed is probably a better word. ATM I'm mostly obsessed with the guy in Bob's Avatar. <333
I even have a gameswipe wallpaper on my laptop. :o

yeahwho
01-15-2010, 08:57 PM
Bob, just be brutal, become so over the top your profile must be read.

Having passion for gratuitous sex with as many internet females as you can possibly wrangle for a cup of coffee is what you're all about.

You should also have a passion for pushing moderators of ludicrous singles pages straight into a fit.

Plus bob, you are hilarious, this is the best way to meet girls (OK, OK, outside of a ton of money and 4 hours of ab work daily) and you don't want some date with a girl who will encourage average conversation.

Go for funny. Lampoon that place, if nothing comes from it, so be it. A higher caliber of life is what you seek.

DIGI
01-15-2010, 09:16 PM
yeah i was cougar hunting, deal with it

Dude........

I could laugh at that chick's profile for hours.

1) She looks like the type of chick who spends 5 days a week at a dive bar, chain smoking cigarettes, and playing x-rated photo hunt.....or video poker if the bar's that cool.

2) "DOING MY ART."

Caribou
01-15-2010, 09:42 PM
tbh, I never understood why the whole dating thing seems to be so important in America.
I mean, over here people go on dates, but it's usually with people they've already met and talked to a bit. Dating an entirely random person just for the sake of dating seems pointless and rather desperate to me.
Oh well, it's probably just a cultural thing.

As for the online profile thing, I agree with yeahwho.
Go for something over the top and/or funny. If someone replies with a 'lol' instead of a complaint, you're in. Chicks dig the funny.

insertnamehere
01-15-2010, 10:21 PM
tbh, I never understood why the whole dating thing seems to be so important in America.
I mean, over here people go on dates, but it's usually with people they've already met and talked to a bit. Dating an entirely random person just for the sake of dating seems pointless and rather desperate to me.
Oh well, it's probably just a cultural thing.

As for the online profile thing, I agree with yeahwho.
Go for something over the top and/or funny. If someone replies with a 'lol' instead of a complaint, you're in. Chicks dig the funny.

i need to move to your country. im not down with dating random people... and that leaves me with no dates. id rather get to know someone more as a friend and have it evolve into something more, ya know?

whenever ive looked at personals (primarily stuff on CL) the only ones ive ever been even sort of tempted to reply to were the ones that were funny and i could tell that the other person thought posting ads on CL was as ridiculous as i do.

id totally go on a date with bob.

insertnamehere
01-15-2010, 10:22 PM
by date i mean relaxed spending time together, not one of those going to a fancy-shmancy restraunt type dates. ive actually never been on a date. but if he wants to buy me some food thats cool too.

Caribou
01-15-2010, 10:30 PM
I've actually never been on an date either.
Though I think this might be due to the mutual disinterest between men and myself.

insertnamehere
01-15-2010, 11:42 PM
what about women?

Caribou
01-15-2010, 11:58 PM
I'm even less interested in women.

Actually it isn't that I have no interest in men whatsoever, because I do fancy them and there are types that make me go weak at the knees, but I just have no interest in a relationship.

I'm just being realistic. I'm rather picky and the only men who tend to fancy me are absolute losers who don't know the meaning of the word NO. The nice and cool ones never even bothered to look at me. So to save myself a lot of time and a lot of worry, I just decided not to bother with all that 'finding a partner' nonsense.

It's working quite well. While the rest of the world seems to be having problems with either the relationship they're in or the relationship they wish they were but are not in, I can focus on the things that matter to me and be free from emotional pain. Hurray. :)

RobMoney$
01-16-2010, 12:12 AM
this here (http://www.pittsburghpassion.com/) is the only passion any real man needs....

HA!
I went to HS with a girl who used to be the QB of the Philly Firebirds for a few years.
She's actually really hot too, believe it or not.

And at this point, I hope you remain solo as long as possible, Bob.
The BBMB needs Bob's struggle to relate to the opposite sex.
One of these days though, you're gonna figure out it was right under your nose the whole time.

yeahwho
01-16-2010, 08:24 PM
Become passionate about something arcane and endless, like barometric pressure and the way it affects the eastern seaboard... or maybe you can be like me and join the ChapStick club (http://www.chapstick.com/default.aspx). It's easy to join up (https://www.chapstick.com/fanclubsignup.aspx) and be apart of something that really is a blast (http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=19755827778). My passion for ChapStick has lead me to great places and ideas such as this (http://even-handed.com/Chap-Sticks.html).

Bob I think you're the type of fella who can show a passion for the Stick. I think you can be a "chappy" like me and once you display your over the top passion for the stick.... girls on the internet are going to swarm you.

jabumbo
01-16-2010, 08:28 PM
and to think i used to look up to you, yeahwho :(

Bob
01-16-2010, 08:30 PM
One of these days though, you're gonna figure out it was right under your nose the whole time.

i think i know what you mean. you're saying i should grow a mustache.

kaiser soze
01-16-2010, 08:38 PM
be passionate about fruit or start a collection of erotic massage oils

yeahwho
01-16-2010, 08:42 PM
and to think i used to look up to you, yeahwho :(

Is it my passion for ChapStick that has let you down, or is the surprising fact that I use my ChapStick club membership to lure the ladies?

Well then I'll sadly have to say no ChapStick for you bob, it looks like dried up ruckus once it hits the stache hairs.

Nope youll be hanging out with the Blistex boys. Good luck with the ladies then. lol.

Caribou
01-16-2010, 08:52 PM

Dude, yes. Or even better: sideburns.

If you had sideburns and I didn't live on the other side of the globe, I'd totally go on a date with you. :cool:

Echewta
01-17-2010, 03:27 AM
HA!

Are you suggesting that he will give himself a hummer at some point?

Bob, sometimes on those online dating things, women will say that want someone with passion because they were with the wrong person(s) for too long. Someone who didn't do anything with them, care about them, etc. Their definition of passion can that they just want someone who gives to a relationship.

Randetica
01-17-2010, 04:17 AM
seems like most people on single/dating sites are single for a good reason

my mum met a bunch of dudes from those sites and they all either been perverted shitheads or just plain boring

i know it sounds stupid but i got too much self pride to become a (serious) member of such sites but at the same time im shit tired of single life

Adam
01-17-2010, 05:18 AM
Online dating for me did serve a purpose although I met no1 to date full time.

It did give me more confidence and made me better at dating. I found myself analysing profiles too much and discounting people on the basis of a small things they said - like they enjoy X-Factor or Pop Idol - yet it seems most people do and its easily ignorable offline. The more you do it the better you're gonna get at it but don't rely on it

Use it as a tool to branch out into other social situations, but I think using it as your only method of communicating with the opposite sex is doomed to failure.