PDA

View Full Version : If this was twitter you'd say...

camo
01-16-2010, 11:38 PM
I'm back from a night out, pissed and eating a pizza with what can only be described as vulcanised cheese on top. Rubbery.

Bob
01-16-2010, 11:42 PM
RT@camo #pizza #lol #RT

Dorothy Wood
01-16-2010, 11:44 PM
can somebody explain what # stands for?

Kid Presentable
01-17-2010, 12:10 AM
nobody cared enough to ask, don't tell me.

GreenEarthAl
01-17-2010, 12:31 AM
The # stands for different "channels". People can follow channels based on their interests. Like if there was a #pizza channel (I'm sure there is) then every twittiot out there who has subscribed to #pizza would have had Bob's message show up in their stream.

Then they would retreat it to all of their friends under the mistaken impression that somebody out there gives a shit.

Randetica
01-17-2010, 04:19 AM
#twitter #bores #me

Dorothy Wood
01-17-2010, 05:24 AM
I just keep on expecting numbers, I can't get used to it. and I can't get used to people expecting me to get used to it.

"#" means "number sign", how is it allowed to be used for something it doesn't mean?

Adam
01-17-2010, 05:30 AM
I just keep on expecting numbers, I can't get used to it. and I can't get used to people expecting me to get used to it.

"#" means "number sign", how is it allowed to be used for something it doesn't mean?

Its a way of tagging within limited characters. Its a popular symbol yes but probably one that can cause least confusion without having to resort to ones that aren't on all keyboards worldwide.

Or it might have something to do with the code they use.

Dorothy Wood
01-17-2010, 05:40 AM
Its a way of tagging within limited characters. Its a popular symbol yes but probably one that can cause least confusion without having to resort to ones that aren't on all keyboards worldwide.

Or it might have something to do with the code they use.

"calling attention to"? is that what "tagging" means? why don't they just put "re:", because it's 3 characters? that's fucking ridiculous.

I've gone along with a lot of things in my day, I still say "whatevs" and "omg", but co-opting symbols to represent something completely unrelated to the original meaning/use is just too far. call me a luddite, but I won't have it!

silence7
01-17-2010, 05:55 AM
@Beastie Boys @Beastie boys.com Forums Groupies
Eating Cheese and Mushroom Pizza, Drinking Newcastle, Just added 3 new remixes to the site.

Adam
01-17-2010, 06:09 AM
"calling attention to"? is that what "tagging" means? why don't they just put "re:", because it's 3 characters? that's fucking ridiculous.

I've gone along with a lot of things in my day, I still say "whatevs" and "omg", but co-opting symbols to represent something completely unrelated to the original meaning/use is just too far. call me a luddite, but I won't have it!

You tag data to make it searchable and organise information to be recalled at a later date. Data can be physical like with books and put them in Genre order or Author or whatever is relevant. It takes up space but it even takes up space when in a digital cloud.

If you was tag this thread you could put:
twitter, pizza, hash...
and so on

That way, if you need to recall this data again at some point you could click that list and it'll bring up everything related to that, then continue to refine your search if you so wish.

Data needs to be organised, one company might use # as a way of creating data blocks while another might use $ or £ instead. But if that company uses dollars or pounds as a currency at some point it might cause confusion. It could use <this_is_organised_data> or <re:> but then it adds so much code and typing miles to the program thus wasting time and money. You cannot spell # wrong but you can spell re: wrong.

Think you've either got to live with it or not use it. Twitter I like but I do think it creates too much noise atm but say if I am bored at home, a quick search on #sheffield might give me something to do. If you have your own little event, start using the tag #DWevent and you can filter out who is talking about it. Same if you've a fetish for #pizza.

Hmmm, pizza

roosta
01-17-2010, 06:36 AM

#dontworryaboutit

GreenEarthAl
01-17-2010, 11:28 AM
'm guessing it probably comes from the convention for old IRC channels where all of the channels were #this and #that. Also twitter is always going to abbreviate EVERYTHING to as few characters as humanly possible because they want everyone to use it on their cell-phone.

At one of the co-op potlucks I go to there is a guy that uses Twitter all the time (even during dinner) and he is always explaining how it works. And I'm always thinking "even if I owned a cell-phone... I'm sure I wouldn't care."

Dorothy Wood
01-17-2010, 12:55 PM
You tag data to make it searchable and organise information to be recalled at a later date. Data can be physical like with books and put them in Genre order or Author or whatever is relevant. It takes up space but it even takes up space when in a digital cloud.

If you was tag this thread you could put:
twitter, pizza, hash...
and so on

That way, if you need to recall this data again at some point you could click that list and it'll bring up everything related to that, then continue to refine your search if you so wish.

Data needs to be organised, one company might use # as a way of creating data blocks while another might use $ or £ instead. But if that company uses dollars or pounds as a currency at some point it might cause confusion. It could use <this_is_organised_data> or <re:> but then it adds so much code and typing miles to the program thus wasting time and money. You cannot spell # wrong but you can spell re: wrong.

Think you've either got to live with it or not use it. Twitter I like but I do think it creates too much noise atm but say if I am bored at home, a quick search on #sheffield might give me something to do. If you have your own little event, start using the tag #DWevent and you can filter out who is talking about it. Same if you've a fetish for #pizza.

Hmmm, pizza

oh dear, I guess I still just don't get it. I'm sure I will eventually. :/

jabumbo
01-17-2010, 02:10 PM
#pizza

who needs cold pizza for breakfast when you have a toaster oven?

Dorothy Wood
01-17-2010, 02:28 PM
ah ha! I get it now.

heh. man, this is like the time I was the last person in my class to learn how to tell time.

Ty Webb
01-17-2010, 03:48 PM
can't do karaoke anymore. last night w/ friends bohemien rhapsody was done and the world imploded.

paul jones
01-17-2010, 04:07 PM
I think the next step on from Twitter will be cameras stuck inside people's poo holes

Adam
01-17-2010, 04:15 PM
I think the next step on from Twitter will be cameras stuck inside people's poo holes

But twitter is less intrusive than facebook. Its lighter and more user friendly - I don't get why people think its more about intrusive.

paul jones
01-17-2010, 05:59 PM
But twitter is less intrusive than facebook. Its lighter and more user friendly - I don't get why people think its more about intrusive.

yeah but birds tweet,not humans and they pay us back by shitting on our cars

The Notorious LOL
01-18-2010, 12:50 AM
Twitter is the worst website on the planet.

Bob
01-18-2010, 01:50 AM

i just use it to follow celebrities that i like. peter serafinowicz's twitter is pretty consistently hilarious. for example "Autopsy report: Michael Jackson's body contained high levels of molestorol" or "The only thing I don't miss about Xmas is the way Santa refers to his 3 girlfriends."

Adam
01-18-2010, 03:35 AM

2nd worst maybe (http://havenworks.com/)

roosta
01-18-2010, 05:02 AM
i really like twitter.

to each their own, and all that, but I think alot of the people that knock don't really understand it, or haven't given it a proper go. It really isn't about people talking about what they had for breakfast. Sure, there's some of that, but if that's all there is....you are following the wrong people.

It's a great resource for getting interesting links/articles etc. based on whatever you are into. So, if you were into graphic design or whatever, there's great accounts you can follow which constantly put out their good links, kind of trawls the net for you.

Its also good for casting out ideas, getting feedback, and finding out about breaking news.

also, bob is right, Peter serafinowicz is genius on it.

hpdrifter
01-18-2010, 12:52 PM
ah ha! I get it now.

heh. man, this is like the time I was the last person in my class to learn how to tell time.

new sig!

GreenEarthAl
01-18-2010, 01:04 PM

:eek::eek::eek:

Videodrome
01-18-2010, 01:36 PM
I wish I got 10cents for everytime I turned the radio on and had to listen to that Jay-Z & Alicia Keys song.

Adam
01-18-2010, 03:23 PM
:eek::eek::eek:

innit, sorry if I hurt your eyes, no wonder the democrats are in trouble if these are the supporters websites

Twitter user arrested for bad joke (http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/libertycentral/2010/jan/18/twitter-terror-arrest?showallcomments=true#end-of-comments)

JDsmagik
01-18-2010, 03:56 PM
... every twittiot out there ...

ROFL

:D

HEIRESS
01-18-2010, 04:17 PM
that Teriyaki beef jerky was a bad, bad idea...

Caribou
01-18-2010, 04:26 PM
I only signed up to twitter last week or something out of curiosity. It's rather pointless if you don't have any followers though. I might as well be tweeting to a wall.
It's kinda fun to read celebrity tweets though. Charlie Brooker and Stephen Fry were the first I started following.

Funky Pepp
01-18-2010, 05:51 PM

Unbelievable. I thought it was a fake-site, but it isn't, right? I love it :D

Adam
01-18-2010, 05:53 PM
Unbelievable. I thought it was a fake-site, but it isn't, right? I love it :D

I think it has a status of now being one of the worst sites but it was a real one except not updated anymore. Became popular for its awfulness.

Bob
01-18-2010, 06:00 PM
I only signed up to twitter last week or something out of curiosity. It's rather pointless if you don't have any followers though. I might as well be tweeting to a wall.
It's kinda fun to read celebrity tweets though. Charlie Brooker and Stephen Fry were the first I started following.

which twitter is charlie brooker's? i looked for it but there appeared to be several that might have been him

also, havenworks holy shit

Adam
01-18-2010, 06:16 PM
use to follow Brooker on Charlton Brooker but not sure if it was real or not - that was a few months ago though

jennyb
01-18-2010, 06:30 PM
i'd say i'm REALLY looking fwd to the Coachella line-up announcement tonight

roosta
01-18-2010, 08:04 PM
which twitter is charlie brooker's? i looked for it but there appeared to be several that might have been him

also, havenworks holy shit

@charltonbrooker (http://twitter.com/CharltonBrooker)

Caribou
01-18-2010, 09:59 PM
@charltonbrooker (http://twitter.com/CharltonBrooker)

Yup.

I'm am so amazingly looking forward to Newswipe, omg, If I could It'd make me jizz my pants.

btw, what are your names on there?

Adam
01-19-2010, 04:04 AM
@gee80

protected but I'll accept if I know who you are (y)

Bob
01-19-2010, 04:15 AM
i'm bossshogg

i really don't know why; i think i made the account when i was drunk, i've never even seen the dukes of hazzard. i've also only ever tweeted twice, i'm more of a facebook status update kind of person, there's really no reason to follow me

Caribou
01-19-2010, 11:31 AM
I'm ScruplesTheCat.

I have no idea why, it's something I thought I once heard or read in an interview with someone and it always stuck in my head, but I googled it and couldn't find a reference to it anywhere. Maybe I made it up.

Echewta
01-19-2010, 01:29 PM
I have a twitter account but don't use it. I only use it when I want to stalk someone and they haven an account. I can see what they are really doing instead of the lies, bloody lies, they are spewing to me to not go to the Hallmark Store and shop for a card. That stuff is tough.

Adam
01-19-2010, 02:58 PM
when i was drunk...

Thats not like you at all, drunk and on the web

GreenEarthAl
01-19-2010, 07:39 PM
http://twitter.com/BldThrstyVgns

TOY
01-19-2010, 09:34 PM
I'd probably say something about how the turd I just passed felt like a baseball coming out of my ass.

Yeah. Some things never change.

Caribou
01-19-2010, 10:21 PM
I'd probably say something about how the turd I just passed felt like a baseball coming out of my ass.

And yet you look like such a sophisticated lady.