PDA

View Full Version : turmoil amongst the tea party

saz
01-26-2010, 02:16 PM
looks like all is not well in glenn beck's redneck paradise. i thought profiteering and for-profit initiatives is what the right favoured. but if they can't afford palin and her $100,000 fee, perhaps they could have this woman (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaxECcTjCuw) address their convention.

Tea Party Disputes Take Toll on Convention

By Kate Zernike
The New York Times (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/26/us/politics/26teaparty.html)
Published: January 25, 2010

A Tea Party convention billed as the coming together of the grass-roots groups that began sprouting up around the country a year ago is unraveling as sponsors and participants pull out to protest its expense and express concerns about “profiteering.”

The convention’s difficulties highlight the fractiousness of the Tea Party groups, and the considerable suspicions among their members of anything that suggests the establishment.

The convention, to be held in Nashville in early February, made a splash by attracting big-name politicians. (Former Gov. Sarah Palin of Alaska is scheduled to deliver the keynote speech.) But some groups have criticized the cost — $549 per ticket and a $9.95 fee, plus hotel and airfare — as out of reach for the average tea partier. And they have balked at Ms. Palin’s speaking fee, which news reports have put at $100,000, a figure that organizers will not confirm or deny.

Tea Party events exploded last winter, as increasingly large gatherings protested the federal stimulus bill, government bailouts and proposed health care legislation. While they vary by name, specific tenets and relative embrace of anarchy, such groups tend to unite around fiscal conservatism and a belief that the federal government — whether led by Republicans or Democrats — has overstepped its constitutional powers.

Tea Party Nation, the convention organizer, started as a social networking site for the groups last year, a kind of Facebook for conservatives to “form bonds, network and make plans for action.” But its founders, former sponsors and participants are now trading accusations.

Philip Glass, the national director of the National Precinct Alliance, announced late Sunday that “amid growing controversy” around the convention, his organization would no longer participate. His group seeks to take over the Republican Party from the bottom by filling the ranks of local and state parties with grass-roots conservatives, and Mr. Glass had been scheduled to lead workshops on its strategy.

“We are very concerned about the appearance of T.P.N. profiteering and exploitation of the grass-roots movement,” he said in a statement. “We were under the impression that T.P.N. was a nonprofit organization like N.P.A., interested only in uniting and educating Tea Party activists on how to make a real difference in the political arena.”

Mr. Glass said he was also concerned about the role in the convention of groups like Tea Party Express, which has held rallies across the country through two bus tours, and FreedomWorks, a Tea Party umbrella. He called them “Republican National Committee-related groups,” and added, “At best, it creates the appearance of an R.N.C. hijacking; at worst, it is one.”

Erick Erickson, the editor of the influential conservative blog RedState.com, wrote this month that something seemed “scammy” about the convention. And the American Liberty Alliance withdrew as a sponsor after its members expressed concerns about the convention’s finances being channeled through private bank accounts and its organizer being “for profit.”

“When we look at the $500 price tag for the event and the fact that many of the original leaders in the group left over similar issues, it’s hard for us not to assume the worst,” Eric Odom, the executive director of the American Liberty Alliance and an organizer of the tax day rallies last April, wrote on the group’s Web site.

Sherry Phillips, who founded and runs Tea Party Nation with her husband, Judson, said Monday that it is not a nonprofit group.

Ms. Phillips said the American Liberty Alliance was “a for-profit company that takes donations.” The National Precinct Alliance, she said, demanded compensation of around $3,000. “Our budget on this convention is very tight and we could not afford them,” she wrote in an e-mail message.

She declined to comment on Ms. Palin’s speaking fee.

“If there is any profit,” Ms. Phillips said, “the money will go toward furthering the cause of conservatism.”

Mr. Glass denied that his group had requested money and said convention organizers had asked his group to pay $2,200 to speak.

As for FreedomWorks, it is not a convention sponsor. Tea Party leaders in training sessions at the group’s headquarters on Monday said their members, for the most part, could not afford the convention or were not interested.

Echewta
01-26-2010, 02:51 PM
I wonder if any of my friends would like to come over for an old school tea party. There is a bakery down the street with delicious tea cakes.

valvano
01-26-2010, 03:56 PM
:rolleyes:looks like all is not well in glenn beck's redneck paradise. i thought profiteering and for-profit initiatives is what the right favoured. but if they can't afford palin and her $100,000 fee, perhaps they could have this woman (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaxECcTjCuw) address their convention.

why do you associate the word "redneck" with tea party groups?

do you also associate the word "niXXer" with the NAACP?

RobMoney$
01-26-2010, 05:33 PM
because racial slurs towards whites are not only acceptable, but are encouraged by the liberals. That, and white guilt.

you know this already I'm sure, valvano.

I was personally banned for several years for using the "N" word one time on here in a racial joke.
"redneck" is thrown around without anyone batting an eyelash.

cest la vie.

saz
01-26-2010, 05:53 PM
:rolleyes:

why do you associate the word "redneck" with tea party groups?

do you also associate the word "niXXer" with the NAACP?

that's despicable, but i wouldn't be surprised if you do:

Hopefully the "schoochildren" can "ax" some questions to Obama :D

fucking racist.....and you do nothing but feed the stereotype of Republicans.

saz
01-26-2010, 05:54 PM
because racial slurs towards whites are not only acceptable, but are encouraged by the liberals. That, and white guilt.

you know this already I'm sure, valvano.

I was personally banned for several years for using the "N" word one time on here in a racial joke.
"redneck" is thrown around without anyone batting an eyelash.

cest la vie.

"redneck" isn't a racial slur.

travesty
01-26-2010, 06:01 PM
No but it is a slur against people with necks and also against red people with no necks.:D Being that it is only used to identify a certain class of white folks, I guess it is in a way a racial slur. Are there African American rednecks? Latino Rednecks? Asian rednecks? Maybe, but that's not what comes to mind when someone says redneck.

saz
01-26-2010, 06:03 PM
ahahahah (y)

yeah, anyone of any particular culture, ethnicity, creed et al can be a redneck.

Bob
01-26-2010, 06:05 PM
No but it is a slur against people with necks and also against red people with no necks.:D Being that it is only used to identify a certain class of white folks, I guess it is in a way a racial slur. Are there African American rednecks? Latino Rednecks? Asian rednecks? Maybe, but that's not what comes to mind when someone says redneck.

a classial slur maybe? i don't know. it is a condescending and rude thing to say, but it's nowhere near the same thing as the n word

travesty
01-26-2010, 07:26 PM
Why is it that no matter what derogatory word you use to describe someone, be it N###er, Redneck, Cracker, Guido etc... someone somewhere will tell you that they are one and proud to be one. If that's the case, how derogatory can the word really be? Hmmmm....

RobMoney$
01-26-2010, 07:57 PM
a classial slur maybe? i don't know. it is a condescending and rude thing to say, but it's nowhere near the same thing as the n word

who's to judge how offended someone else is allowed to be?
Kike isn't as bad as nigger, but it's worse than homo...
Is there some sort of officially published list somewhere?

It's either a slur or it isn't.
Pretend it's not racial all you want, we both know the truth.

kaiser soze
01-26-2010, 07:57 PM
N###er

Nagger?

The tea party will eat itself up, the factions are forming - ya got Beck's Conspiracy Baggers, Hannity's Hack Baggers, Coulter's Adam's Apple Baggers, Limbaugh's Ball Baggers, Paterson's Bible Baggers.....The Nagger Baggers

you name em, they got em....shit that is going down in the Capitol and the White House must be confusing the fuck out of them. I mean they bitch about Obama's decisions which have fallen too damn close to bush's policies, it's their Supreme Court Justices voting "against" them....What do they really want?

oh yeah, tax cuts :rolleyes:

Burnout18
01-26-2010, 08:16 PM
ahhh wait I a minute side with robmoney here,,,

This is inconsistant. We say redneck isn't so bad, but then we ban someone for nigga? Thats a little hypocritical, either we ban all ppl who use all slurs, or don't ban anyone for any slurs. Im for the latter not the former....

Personally i think in the political forum, where serious topics are supposed to be discussed, we should refrain from slurs/stereotypes.... because, well not for nothing, but the original point of the thread was lost and now we are talking about bad words....

travesty
01-26-2010, 09:32 PM
Naggers. That's so funny. One of my favorite South Park's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmyrEj76zqE) of all time

saz
01-26-2010, 11:28 PM
ahhh wait I a minute side with robmoney here,,,

This is inconsistant. We say redneck isn't so bad, but then we ban someone for nigga? Thats a little hypocritical, either we ban all ppl who use all slurs, or don't ban anyone for any slurs. Im for the latter not the former....

Personally i think in the political forum, where serious topics are supposed to be discussed, we should refrain from slurs/stereotypes.... because, well not for nothing, but the original point of the thread was lost and now we are talking about bad words....

how is it hypocritical? redneck isn't a racial slur, period. and almost every thread in here is hijacked anyways.

Bob
01-26-2010, 11:35 PM
Pretend it's not racial all you want, we both know the truth.

i know that i'm white as hell, but i can't imagine even the most racist person in the universe thinking to call me a redneck. honky, cracker or white devil maybe, but redneck? there's more to that than being white

again, i'm not justifying its use or saying it's a harmless word saying that people aren't allowed to be offended by it (it's an insult, most people do get offended by them), i'm just saying that you can't possibly compare it to the n word

maybe this is you being sarcastic again or something, it's hard to tell

RobMoney$
01-27-2010, 12:37 AM
I'm not being sarcastic, Bob.
I'm serious when I say the double standard has always bothered me.
I really don't understand how you or anyone wouldn't feel the same?

The bottom line is that it doesn't even matter if it is racial.
"Faggot" isn't racial either, but it's just as offensive.

It's no different than Limbaugh using the term "Welfare recipients"
Sure, there are all different types of races who receive welfare. There's plausible deniability.
But we all know he's a racist fuck.

And Saz has been throwing the term "Redneck" around a lot lately and I, for one don't think it should be acceptable.

kaiser soze
01-27-2010, 12:50 AM
or calling the needy "stray animals"

amazing the shit some dumb fucks say, oh wait that was offensive!

amazing what some dumb fuck republicans say

much better

DroppinScience
01-27-2010, 12:53 AM
Redneck is not specifically a racial term or epithet, redneck generally refers to a person from a lower socio-economic background, is uneducated, and more than anything, is bigoted and prejudiced.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/redneck

Those other words you're comparing it to are specifically racial.

If the shoe fits, wear it. Teabaggers are, by and large, rednecks.

Bob
01-27-2010, 12:57 AM
The bottom line is that it doesn't even matter if it is racial.
"Faggot" isn't racial either. But it's just as offensive as "nigger", or "redneck".

They're all slurs.

And Saz has been throwing the term "Redneck" around a lot lately and I, for one don't think it should be acceptable.

i still don't see how it's the same thing though. you call someone a faggot because they're gay and you hate gay people (or possibly because you're 14 and they just killed you in halo, but you probably still hate gay people). you call someone the n word because they're black and you hate black people, whether they're the lowliest street urchin or the president of the united states (or occasionally because you're stealing a joke from the wu-tang message board).

you don't call someone a redneck because they're white and you hate white people. you call someone (or refer to a bunch of someones) as a redneck because you think they're backwards or ignorant or simple or whatever. 99% of the time they're white, yes, but you don't hate them for that, you're insulting them because you think they're stupid. it's not nearly on the same level as calling someone the n word.

it's still rude, but i think it's an insult, not a slur against white people. if we're going to start banning people for insults then i can't imagine many of us would be left to post here.

RobMoney$
01-27-2010, 12:58 AM
Look at the liberals circle and protect their own.
Impressive, Lambert.

LIBERALS AGREE, using "economic" slurs are acceptable!

Bob
01-27-2010, 12:59 AM
Look at the liberals circle and protect their own.
Impressive, Lambert.

LIBERALS AGREE, using "economic" slurs are acceptable!

why is everything a liberal vs. conservative thing with you?

RobMoney$
01-27-2010, 01:06 AM
why is everything a liberal vs. conservative thing with you?

Oh, this is rich.

I just got done asking in the other thread why everything Obama does has to be defended with "...but Bush did it too"

The partisan shit is just as deep on both sides of the aisle, Bob.

Also, because of the three conservatives that I know of on the MB, none of them are defending saz's comment. Only the three or four libs are.
I'm just calling them hows I see 'em.
And I never advocated banning anyone, for the record. I'm just pointing out the double standard.
I don't run to "Daddy" to complain about offensive behavior, even though I know saz has done it to me.
If I were personally bothered by it I'd contact saz directly about it.
And yes, that means that there's approx. 7 of us who post here.

DroppinScience
01-27-2010, 01:08 AM
Because FOX News tells him to filter every issue in a "right vs. left" prism. Oversimplification, oversimplification, oversimplification.

RobMoney$
01-27-2010, 01:13 AM
you call someone the n word because they're black and you hate black people, whether they're the lowliest street urchin or the president of the united states (or occasionally because you're stealing a joke from the wu-tang message board).

Maybe you need to listen to more hip-hop, or maybe associate with more black people.
The N-word is used ad-nauseum for all kinds of things that have nothing to do with hate by a lot of black people.

Bob
01-27-2010, 01:14 AM
Maybe you need to listen to more hip-hop, or maybe associate with more black people.
The N-word is used ad-nauseum for all kinds of things that have nothing to do with hate by a lot of black people.

:rolleyes:

RobMoney$
01-27-2010, 01:15 AM
Because FOX News tells him to filter every issue in a "right vs. left" prism. Oversimplification, oversimplification, oversimplification.

I've been through this a million times.
I don't watch Fox news, dopey.
Way to over-simplify tho.

DroppinScience
01-27-2010, 01:20 AM
I've been through this a million times.
Way to over-simplify tho.

Whatever you say, Rob.

I have watched both Fox News and MSNBC 50/50 tonight.
It's pretty obvious why Fox News has the better ratings.
Much more information, better discussion.

Documad
01-27-2010, 01:23 AM
Sherry Phillips, who founded and runs Tea Party Nation with her husband, Judson, said Monday that it is not a nonprofit group.

Ms. Phillips said the American Liberty Alliance was “a for-profit company that takes donations.”

So did these people just take over the name of something that people were doing and turn it into a business to con people who don't do their homework? or was this whole thing a con from the beginning? Why would anyone give their time and money to support a for profit group like this?

And while I think it's dumb to throw "redneck" around because it is elitist and turns people off who might otherwise listen to your message, I can't believe that Rob is trying to stir up old controversies.

RobMoney$
01-27-2010, 01:38 AM
Whatever you say, Rob.

Like I went through this the last time you drug this up...

I watched Fox and MSNBC on an election night.
It hardly makes me an avid watcher to the point that Fox is shaping my opinions.

If I watched Fox and MSNBC 50/50, how is it only FOX is shaping my opinions?
The MSNBC 50% of that night isn't very convenient to your spin, is it?

God, it's tiring having to run through the same exact tangent debates with the same exact dimwitted people.
Lambert, you're just a drain of energy.

Documad
01-27-2010, 01:40 AM
nevermind

RobMoney$
01-27-2010, 01:47 AM
I can't believe that Rob is trying to stir up old controversies.

Am I living in crazytown?

Lambert runs through the same pointless "You watch Fox news" crap every thread.
Saz has been calling people rednecks several times the past few days.
Saz and kaiser bth throw the "...but Bush started a war, so who cares what Obama does" excuse in front of everything.

...and I'M the one stirring up old arguments?

travesty
01-27-2010, 02:11 AM
If the shoe fits, wear it. Teabaggers are, by and large, rednecks.

That's an absolutely opinionated stereotype DS. Do you have some demographics to back up that assertion?

I could just easily say that Obama supporters, by and large, have never passed a single economics or finance course. While their actions lead me to believe this is as true as the sun rising each morning, I don't have any solid proof so it's really just a stereotype.

So in IMO if the shoe fits wear it.. supporters of progressive liberal policies are, by and large ignorant.

Documad
01-27-2010, 03:15 AM
Am I living in crazytown?

Lambert runs through the same pointless "You watch Fox news" crap every thread.
Saz has been calling people rednecks several times the past few days.
Saz and kaiser bth throw the "...but Bush started a war, so who cares what Obama does" excuse in front of everything.

...and I'M the one stirring up old arguments?

DS's sniping pains me because I used to enjoy his posts when he posted things of substance -- i.e. his opinions rather than links to liberal websites. He used to be one of my favorite people here. I hadn't noticed saz's posts, but I seem to remember that he's not a fan of Obama and never has been. He doesn't like the major US parties. He's a Nader guy. Sometimes I think he's talking down to me which amuses me.

But why in the hell would you advocate for the use of an offensive on this board when you know how the vast majority of us feel about it?

Eh, maybe we're all just sniping here and it's time to move on from this forum. No one's reading it anyway. :p

RobMoney$
01-27-2010, 06:57 AM
Saz is not above criticizing Obama on certain issues like the healthcare bill, but at the end of the day he's an ultra liberal and an Obama apologist.
He thinks Obama isn't liberal enough.

And as much as I agree with you about moving on from this place, like a moth to a flame...

Documad
01-27-2010, 10:34 AM
I thought Obama wasn't liberal enough on some issues. That's one reason why I didn't support him for the nomination. That's also why I haven't been surprised at much that he's done or failed to do as president. It's also why the criticism of him from the right has been so ridiculous. He's not a socialist, he's a corporate guy and Michelle's job history also supports that. Most of their advisors are old political hacks. I swear that some people (including my friends) assumed he was liberal because he's black. He promised to send more troops to Afghanistan during the election. It's not like that was a secret so why did his fans feel betrayed?

I'm confident that I wouldn't have been happier with McCain in the white house so I don't regret voting for the guy. Obama inherited the worst mess in recent history so I'll cut him major slack, but I'm definitely disappointed at how he's tried to make too many people happy instead of picking a position and fighting for it.

saz
01-27-2010, 12:24 PM

whatever, and this is coming from the guy who called queenadrock this (http://www.beastieboys.com/bbs/showpost.php?p=1700471&postcount=135).

you're complaining about the word redneck and that it's insulting, but now you're hurling an insult.

And while I think it's dumb to throw "redneck" around because it is elitist and turns people off who might otherwise listen to your message

no sorry, people who take glenn beck seriously are total idiots.

Sometimes I think he's talking down to me which amuses me.

ditto

he's an Obama apologist.

no, i don't apologize for the guy.

Documad
01-27-2010, 02:09 PM
no sorry, people who take glenn beck seriously are total idiots.

I agree, but they're not necessarily rednecks. And many rednecks don't like Glenn Beck. In fact, none of the faux conservatives I know are rednecks. And my redneck brother doesn't watch Fox News.

Do you have rednecks where you live? If so, what are they like?

saz
01-27-2010, 04:27 PM
yeah they're everywhere, suburban, urban and rural rednecks. i guess what it boils down to is a difference in categorizing someone as a hick.

travesty
01-27-2010, 06:09 PM
There are subtle differences between them but no shortaage of rednecks, hicks, white trash, good 'ole boys, country boys, bible thumpers and just plain doooooshbags down here but we manage to all generally get along. I like the mix, it keeps things interesting.

DroppinScience
01-27-2010, 06:29 PM
I thought Obama wasn't liberal enough on some issues. That's one reason why I didn't support him for the nomination. That's also why I haven't been surprised at much that he's done or failed to do as president. It's also why the criticism of him from the right has been so ridiculous. He's not a socialist, he's a corporate guy and Michelle's job history also supports that. Most of their advisors are old political hacks. I swear that some people (including my friends) assumed he was liberal because he's black. He promised to send more troops to Afghanistan during the election. It's not like that was a secret so why did his fans feel betrayed?

I'm confident that I wouldn't have been happier with McCain in the white house so I don't regret voting for the guy. Obama inherited the worst mess in recent history so I'll cut him major slack, but I'm definitely disappointed at how he's tried to make too many people happy instead of picking a position and fighting for it.

I think some Obama supporters turned a blind eye on some of the more unsavory portions of his campaign platform (which included things like voting to continue the FISA bill, escalating in Afghanistan, and threatening a unilateral invasion of Pakistan), and just thought he was talking tough to appease the hawks and wouldn't really follow through after he got elected. Addressing Afghanistan specifically, there were some months of deliberation before his big West Point speech, so maybe there was a hope he'd think better of his call to escalate in Afghanistan. They're right to be angry about the escalation, but it wasn't as if it was out of nowhere.

Documad
01-28-2010, 12:15 AM
I think some Obama supporters turned a blind eye on some of the more unsavory portions of his campaign platform (which included things like voting to continue the FISA bill, escalating in Afghanistan, and threatening a unilateral invasion of Pakistan), and just thought he was talking tough to appease the hawks and wouldn't really follow through after he got elected.
That's sort of what I thought about W before he got "elected" in 2000. I didn't vote for him, but I wasn't freaked out when he won. I thought he had been posturing for the goofballs in his party. I never dreamed he could be so backwards -- I figured that having Bush Sr. for a father at least exposed him to a variety of cultures and ideas but I overestimated him. :(

yeahwho
01-28-2010, 11:03 AM
The rednecks here in the northwest wear flannel and throw axes. They're great!

Documad
01-28-2010, 10:54 PM
The rednecks here in the northwest wear flannel and throw axes. They're great!

The ones in my family hunt.