PDA

View Full Version : I've been on a new buying binge

hpdrifter
02-05-2010, 05:28 PM
In the last month I've purchased more cds than in the previous 5 years combined.

Today's haul:
Led Zeppelin: How the West Was Won
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club: BMRC and Howl
The Police: Outlandos d'Amour (I really just wanted to complete my Police discography)
Tom Waits: Rain Dogs
Bjork: Vespertine
Clutch: Clutch

I am spending too much money.

hpdrifter
02-05-2010, 05:33 PM
Dammit, my thread title is off.

It was supposed to be I've been on a music buying binge since none of the ones I've bought recently are new with the following exceptions:

Vampire Weekend: Vampire Weekend and Contra
The XX: xx
Animal Collective: Merriweather Post Pavilion
Them Crooked Vultures

I've been looking for something to set me on fire, something to dive into deep obsession with. It's been so long since I found a band I just couldn't get enough of.

mickill
02-05-2010, 06:11 PM
I just picked a crisp vinyl copy of Outlandos d'Amour yesterday for a buck. Along with about 30 other records, but still. Crazy.

It took me a long time to give any other BRMC albums a chance after the disappointment with their second album. But I've since caught up. I still only really listen to the first album though. And sometimes Howl. Also, I listened to Them Crooked Vultures once through and haven't really touched the cd since. It was good, I just don't really care to listen to it really.

Freebasser
02-05-2010, 06:13 PM
I know what you mean - I just parted with £30.00 for all 4 albums by The Raveonettes. (Remember, music is fucking expensive on these shores).
I could've probably put up with the dodgy downloads, but I like to own hard copies of things I like.

This year's shaping up to be a good year. We've already had Vampire Weekend and Eels, and I've got new efforts from Gorillaz, BRMC, Groove Armada, Goldfrapp, Massive Attack, Kings of Leon (please don't let that one be a let down like the last one), Unkle, Black Keys and many many more to look forward to.

Yay :D

hpdrifter
02-05-2010, 06:20 PM
I'd like to get into Goldfrapp, what cd would you say to start with?

I also got one a few weeks ago by this band the Horrors. I don't like it that much. And there's that other one that I didn't like that much, The Big Pink.

I don't know, maybe it's me. I am looking to the past and present and haven't found anything yet that has hit me viscerally. Some quality music and pleasant listening but nothing like I felt when I first got into deftones, Zep, Beasties or Oceansize. I was obsessed, possessed. I read every magazine article I could find, bought every CD, went to every show (if applicable).

I did quite like the Them Crooked Vultures cd. They're going to be on SNL this week, I might have to actually stay up and watch it.

yeahwho
02-05-2010, 08:40 PM
All great choices. (y)

I went to Phoenix down at the Showbox SODO a few weeks ago, had a blast, the band was excellent and very crowd friendly, the lead singer crowd surfed and let folks come up on stage for the encores.

Way better than I expected... I'm going to try and only see bands live that are just starting out year. For the past 5 years I seemed to have an aversion to going to live shows that involved risk. I went to Springsteen, Prince, Petty, Beasties, stuff like that. All good but also all very familiar. Safe.

The XX are awesome... How the West Was Won will take all your life to get wrapped around your head, unreal talent. There is a lot of very good music out right now, not awesomeness but very, very good stuff. One of these bands is going to break out and make a masterpiece I'm just not sure which one.

saz
02-05-2010, 08:48 PM
It took me a long time to give any other BRMC albums a chance after the disappointment with their second album. But I've since caught up. I still only really listen to the first album though. And sometimes Howl. Also, I listened to Them Crooked Vultures once through and haven't really touched the cd since. It was good, I just don't really care to listen to it really.

they're so mediocre and yet i'm going to see them in the spring :/

Kid Presentable
02-05-2010, 09:36 PM
I think Songs for the Deaf is much better than Them Crooked Vultures, although Vultures is fun.

I bought 'Dear Science'. It's ok.

paul jones
02-06-2010, 03:40 AM
I spent £50 on a ltd edition BROADCAST US tour cd the other day on ebay.

TAL
02-06-2010, 09:20 PM
I haven't bought any music this year. Hoping to get some 12" 's next week though.

mate_spawn_die
02-07-2010, 01:42 AM
you think you got problems?

i work at a used cd store for crying out loud... i've bought over 60 cds from my job in a span of 4 months... plus all the freebies i get

it doesn't stop there... lets not forget the precious vinyl

every bit of money i earn goes towards these darn things... besides food and bills of course

but i enjoy it... even though i feel a bit nerd/freak/obsessive at times

current status:
674 cds
546 records

mickill
02-07-2010, 02:28 AM
I was at over 3,000 cds last count, 4,000+ vinyl.

Wut wut!

Drederick Tatum
02-07-2010, 08:06 AM
pics or it didn't happen.

Planetary
02-08-2010, 08:37 AM
I've started buying hard copies of music again recently, which i stopped doing for a while.

I'm not really up to date with whats coming out next, i just hear about it last minute then get all excited.

Looking forward to the new kings of leon now i know theres a new one coming out. Not getting too excited though, not really into the stadium rock direction they're heading in.

Just bought the new Four Tet and Hot Chip albums; Four tet is amazing as usual, Hot Chip is kind of average- a bit hit and miss.

mickill
02-08-2010, 02:15 PM

Me?

I guess I could get you some.

But I do find it hurtful that you can't just seem to let yourself trust people on the internet for whatever reason.

Kid Presentable
02-08-2010, 06:48 PM
Flick us your bank details while you're at it.

yeahwho
02-08-2010, 07:21 PM

Wut wut!
That is pretty cool, I don't need a pic but would like some other medium such as a charcoal drawing or pencil sketch.

I only have a few hundred albums... I weeded out the easy to find, kept the impossible to find. The same with CD's, well actually I'm pushing a few thousand CD's but the first problem is I almost never use the CD format anymore unless it's freshly ripped music that I'm just curious whether or not is worth buying.

The second problem is I haven't had a turntable now for over a year.

Just bought the new Four Tet and Hot Chip albums; Four tet is amazing as usual, Hot Chip is kind of average- a bit hit and miss.

Hot Chip played with the Roots on Jimmy Fallon the other night, Here it is (http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com/blogs/2010/02/web-exclusive-hot-chip-performs-take-it-in-with-the-roots/)

I like them better than Four Tet currently but that is always subject to change...

I have a few pics of my collection here (http://www.neltech.co.uk/shop/images/wd%20drive.jpg) & here (http://content.costco.ca/Images/Content/Product/117488c.jpg).

jabumbo
02-22-2010, 10:26 PM
i usually hit the record store about once a month and let myself binge a little more than i would than any other thing. i was jonesing for something new, so i went today. i picked up:

miles davis - birth of the cool (jazz thread made me realize my lack of)
ween - pure guava
vampire weekend - vampire weekend
tool - lateralus

they were all $8 each, so not bad but not really a steal either. was really getting into the cool when the fire alarm in the building went off for about 5 minutes. sort of ruined the moment.

ps: lame pics, yeahwho

paul jones
02-23-2010, 03:47 AM
made me realize my lack of)
ween - pure guava

(y)

Lyman Zerga
02-23-2010, 09:55 AM

Wut wut!

more illegal downloads for us!

Echewta
02-23-2010, 08:45 PM
If you like mellow, I'd get Seventh Tree by Goldfrapp first.
If you want more electronica mellow wtf, get Felt Mountain. Both good albums.

You might also look into Rokysopp, Brazilian Girls, Zero 7, and Stereolab if you dig Goldfrapp.