PDA

View Full Version : Do the benefits of living alone out weigh the monetary benefits of sharing?

Adam
02-11-2010, 03:48 AM
It seems I will have to move soon as we may of sold the house (w00t). Thus maybe homeless and I need to rent somewhere.

So I've been looking at one bed places - within my price range they are ok but not great. But if I look at two bed there is some amazing places within my price range.

But I've loved these 3 months so far living alone, can't believe how blissful it is - wish I did it years ago. I'm a loner my nature, but just the money saving and the nicer place by sharing with one other seems like a nice gamble.

I can't decide, so thoughts?

Bob
02-11-2010, 04:22 AM
i live in a really nice 4 bedroom but i too am a loner by nature so i spend most of my time wishing to hell and back i could afford my own place. as long as it were quiet, safe, affordable, and roach-free i'd be happy with it, no matter how small or out of the way it was. living with roommates sucks balls if all you want to do is be left alone, i'd highly recommend getting your own place if you can afford it, especially if you're already used to living alone

trailerprincess
02-11-2010, 06:51 AM
I pay £1500 mortgage for a 3 bed place but would never consider getting a housemate just to relieve any financial issues. I would rather sell up and get a smaller place. The only exception to the above statement would be if a VERY good friend or sibling needed somewhere to crash for a while.

Adam
02-11-2010, 09:32 AM
all good points.

Dorothy Wood
02-11-2010, 12:30 PM
in answer to the title: yes.

checkyourprez
02-11-2010, 01:15 PM
if your a loner with a boner you might as well live alone, bc that gets embarrassing.

hpdrifter
02-11-2010, 01:39 PM
I think living alone is best. Of course it depends on the amenities in this other place. Does it have a private hot tub and/or steam room? Cuz that's about the only thing that would induce me to live with roommates.

camo
02-11-2010, 01:43 PM
If you're a loner by nature then you'll be happier alone.

I couldn't share with a housemate again, I prefer being on my own. Well I say this as if it's my choosing :(

Adam
02-11-2010, 02:46 PM
Maybe I should just raise my threshold for what I am prepared to pay.

I look at local forums of people looking for housemates and words like 'sociable' and 'fun' put me off.

I'm pretty sure there is something wrong with me when that sort of thing is not what I want out of life.

NicRN77
02-11-2010, 02:51 PM
I had a roomie when I first moved out in my early 20s. 1 year was enough for me. Have lived alone ever since. I do think of all the money I would save...but living alone really is best for me.

Adam
02-11-2010, 03:15 PM
I've decided - yes.

Thanks all.

checkyourprez
02-11-2010, 03:32 PM
i enjoy being on my own. but i love the animal house style of living. i wouldnt live with strangers, im not into that. unless it was a house full of hot loose broads (joke).

my good friend graduates from college in december and moves back home and has talked about getting place. i would much welcome the bachelor lifestyle once again (even though i am no longer a bachelor, im down with everything except slaying hoodrats!!!).

mickill
02-11-2010, 03:49 PM
I kinda actually don't mind living with other human beings.

hpdrifter
02-11-2010, 03:54 PM
well mikey, there's a difference between living with someone you love and enjoy boning and living with people you are forced into this artificial situation with out of financial necessity.

Wait...

Helvete
02-11-2010, 04:32 PM
I wouldn't want to share a place with anyone but a partner.

Adam
02-11-2010, 04:46 PM
I kinda actually don't mind living with other human beings.

humans are overrated.

I'm 30 this year - I still enjoy bars, having fun and various other human related activities. But I also like being able to come home to my home, be quiet or loud, not have others issues to deal with and come back to the house the same state I left it in.

I figured, even if I did get a real nice place with some1 it wouldn't be a nice place if half of that was not me.

I drove my other housemates out by tidying up too much (they really did complain to me about this).

I'm just too old for housemates,

checkyourprez
02-11-2010, 04:52 PM
humans are overrated.

I'm 30 this year - I still enjoy bars, having fun and various other human related activities. But I also like being able to come home to my home, be quiet or loud, not have others issues to deal with and come back to the house the same state I left it in.

I figured, even if I did get a real nice place with some1 it wouldn't be a nice place if half of that was not me.

I drove my other housemates out by tidying up too much (they really did complain to me about this).

I'm just too old for housemates,

move in with like a 60 year old broad. might be able to get some oral no dentures out of it too know what im saying.

Bob
02-11-2010, 04:57 PM
Maybe I should just raise my threshold for what I am prepared to pay.

I look at local forums of people looking for housemates and words like 'sociable' and 'fun' put me off.

I'm pretty sure there is something wrong with me when that sort of thing is not what I want out of life.

yeah i feel the same way. whenever i've been looking for apartments on craigslist i always kind of cringed when the ads talked about being sociable fun or going out together and eating together regularly and enjoying conversations and all that. all i want out of a roommate is someone to share the bills and rent with, outside of that i like to be able to ignore them as much as possible

then again i'm pretty sure there's something wrong with me too

NicRN77
02-11-2010, 05:11 PM
I wouldn't want to share a place with anyone but a partner.

I agree. Although the older I get, I fear once I do finally settle down I may find it hard to share so much. I swear, I'm going to need my own room or something.

Bob
02-11-2010, 05:28 PM
i think i'm going to invent a new form of marriage, where we keep separate residences. it's the only way i see it ever working out for me, i can't imagine liking a person enough to want to spend every moment with them

Adam
02-11-2010, 05:43 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if there are a lot couples who do love each and are married that have separate rooms.

You don't have to spend every waking moment with them. This is why there is TV soaps for women and computer games for men. Fall asleep in front of each daily; meet up once a month for sex; back to the grind stone.

NicRN77
02-11-2010, 05:45 PM
i think i'm going to invent a new form of marriage, where we keep separate residences. it's the only way i see it ever working out for me, i can't imagine liking a person enough to want to spend every moment with them

I think you may be on to something, Bob.

checkyourprez
02-11-2010, 05:59 PM

could always just turn to hookers. probably cheaper in the long run. and you can always find a young one!

Adam
02-11-2010, 06:02 PM
could always just turn to hookers. probably cheaper in the long run. and you can always find a young one!

yup, cus they groom them from about 12 years old these days so are both young and experienced - a winning combination (y)

peterclamp
02-16-2010, 04:49 PM
I pay £1500 mortgage for a 3 bed place but would never consider getting a housemate just to relieve any financial issues. I would rather sell up and get a smaller place. The only exception to the above statement would be if a VERY good friend or sibling needed somewhere to crash for a while.

Jeez, I thought my mortgage was high at £950 a month (only 2 bed though)...£1500, thats gotta hurt!

If I remember right you live in the stockbroker belt, so I guess prices are much higher there than Bucks...:)