PDA

View Full Version : 30 Rock

abcdefz
03-30-2010, 03:12 PM
I wish my expectations weren't so high, because the show seems fine and I can imagine having real affection for it. But people talk about it
like it's the second coming of comedy or something, and I guess I just don't see it.

Plus Tracey Morgan gets waaaaayy too much air time. Not funny.

I dunno.

Ty Webb
03-30-2010, 03:39 PM
i think it's good, not great. good enough to watch episodes on demand when nothing else is on. tracey's funny half the time.

hpdrifter
03-30-2010, 04:24 PM
I love this show, it's brilliant. Some weeks I am amazed at how scrochingly clever it is.

<3 <3 <3

venusvenus123
03-30-2010, 04:30 PM
I really think it's brilliant. I love Tina Fey, for many reasons, but I think her Liz Lemon is hilarious. I also like Alec Baldwin. I think that maybe the later episodes aren't as great as the early ones, from what I've seen, but it's still a brilliant, clever, and mostly funny show.

Anyway, recording it right now, to watch in a bit (y)

Bob
03-30-2010, 04:34 PM
i don't know what you all mean, tracy morgan is great (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zxk_P3PNuZU)

mickill
03-30-2010, 04:34 PM
Agree with everything a-z said.

I don't really get why people think Tracy Morgan is so funny. I mean, he's ok. But he's not HILARIOUS.

Tina Fey is awesome, though.

Caribou
03-30-2010, 04:38 PM
Thanks to this show I can never say the words 'rural juror' in a normal voice ever again. :(

Echewta
03-30-2010, 04:38 PM
Love the show.

abcdefz
03-30-2010, 04:47 PM
I like Tina Fey and Alec Baldwin, and the guy who plays the gee-whiz kid is usually pretty good -- and if not, he's definitely committed
to the role. Morgan is too close to being a shuck and jive character for my taste, I guess.

checkyourprez
03-30-2010, 04:55 PM
tracey morgan is funny. the rest of the show has eh moments. defiantly plenty of shows a lot funnier on tv. i would call it above mediocre. id rather watch 2 and a half men then 30 rock, and im not really that big of a fan of 2 1/2.

hpdrifter
03-30-2010, 05:02 PM
I think Two and a half men is the crappiest show on television. I am frequently exposed to its awfulness if I forget to change the channel at 7:30 after the second syndicated episode of the Simpsons. Lazy writing, acting, stories. It's a really paint by numbers, phoned in, typical sitcom. Bo-ring.

Tracy Morgan is okay, I think he is funniest in his scenes with Jane Krakowski. I like their relationship.

Bob
03-30-2010, 05:05 PM
twoot and a half men

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elqVU1j0Vfs

abcdefz
03-30-2010, 05:15 PM
I think Two and a half men is the crappiest show on television. I am frequently exposed to its awfulness if I forget to change the channel at 7:30 after the second syndicated episode of the Simpsons. Lazy writing, acting, stories. It's a really paint by numbers, phoned in, typical sitcom. Bo-ring.

That's the impression I get from watching clips. That's exactly the sort of show that I think of as typical network programming. But, to be
fair, I've never watched an entire show.

But 30 Rock just seems to me like the good version of the same. Even the zany cutaways are things that have been done before.
The most inspired things seem to be thrown away -- the absurd non-sequiturs and offbeat things that seem just slipped into the dialogue
when the network's not looking. That's the sort of thing I really like on the show.

Rodie
03-30-2010, 05:34 PM
When did you start watching it? This season is probably the weakest. Season 2 is awesome. I'd say it's really good, but its certainly not groundbreaking or anything.

abcdefz
03-30-2010, 05:51 PM
I'm pretty sure I watched the first season, and our library just got the third, so that's what I'm watching now.

Kid Presentable
03-30-2010, 06:50 PM
It's at the very upper tier of pretty good shows.

The Notorious LOL
03-30-2010, 07:09 PM
Seasons 1 and 2 are its absolute best. At that point I said it was every bit as good as Arrested Development.

Its slipped some. Ive noticed more recently it kind of almost feels less like Liz Lemon and more like Tina Fey playing Tina Fey playing Liz Lemon a.k.a. LOOKIT HOW WACKY I AM! Its still good, but not as good.

HALL OR BILLINGHAM?

cosmo105
03-30-2010, 07:30 PM
I love it. Kenneth is so great.

Bob
03-30-2010, 07:32 PM
yes he is (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwHha3iB088)

jabumbo
03-30-2010, 07:36 PM
bob has been pretty on-point in this thread.

although i think alec baldwins character is my personal favorite....

yeahwho
03-30-2010, 07:38 PM
Never watched a full episode, the parts I did like when I could tolerate it were the parts with that Kenneth character, he's talented. I get the feeling the cast does some skating.

Love Bored to Death and Curb Your Enthusiasm on HBO. Scrubs used to fire on all cylinders but now once or twice a show... like the last one I saw where they tried to discourage an intern into going into surgery because it is the exact opposite of a water slide.

Trust me I'm an expert.

checkyourprez
03-30-2010, 08:55 PM
Seasons 1 and 2 are its absolute best. At that point I said it was every bit as good as Arrested Development.

Its slipped some. Ive noticed more recently it kind of almost feels less like Liz Lemon and more like Tina Fey playing Tina Fey playing Liz Lemon a.k.a. LOOKIT HOW WACKY I AM! Its still good, but not as good.

HALL OR BILLINGHAM?

blasphemous statement.

Documad
03-30-2010, 09:26 PM
I used to really love it, but I find that I can't keep loving any show past a year or so. I need to take a break and come back.

The plot with Julianne Moore ruined this season for me.

cosmo105
03-30-2010, 09:45 PM
Her accent was ridiculous.

Bob
03-30-2010, 10:34 PM
Her accent was ridiculous.

all of my boston friends agreed

i didn't really notice because i think boston accents in general are kind of ridiculous and have a hard time spotting a bad one

QueenAdrock
03-30-2010, 11:14 PM
I've only watched 3 episodes: the one with Beastie Boys and the two with Astronaut Mike Dexter, because he's my friend and I told him I'd check it out. From what I've seen, it's okay, but not hilarious. I might try watching earlier seasons, though.

The Notorious LOL
03-30-2010, 11:32 PM
blasphemous statement.

Nah.

Kid Presentable
03-30-2010, 11:34 PM
Nah.

Maybe not, but definitely wrong. AD is far superior.

The Notorious LOL
03-30-2010, 11:42 PM
ok.

venusvenus123
03-31-2010, 06:23 AM
yeah, Kenneth is definitely a top character. I haven't ever seen Arrested Development, but my friend was addicted and recommended it to me. Next one to rent out then.

abcdefz
03-31-2010, 07:12 AM
Arrested Development is terrific. Really really hyped, but stick with it because it truly builds.

checkyourprez
03-31-2010, 10:44 AM
Arrested Development is terrific. Really really hyped, but stick with it because it truly builds.

for true. incredibly rewarding for a long term watcher. it gets massively layered. .

abcdefz
03-31-2010, 12:43 PM
Yep. I remember making my way through the series, increasingly impressed, then months later went back and started over and was shocked at how the earlier episodes now seemed kinda thin. It's still enjoyable, but it's not as stuffed.

Dorothy Wood
03-31-2010, 12:58 PM
I'm having a little trouble liking the current season. It's getting too wacky. Before it was wacky, but semi-plausible, now it's kinda too much like a cartoon.

I mean, come on, you can't actually fit a waffle in a DVD player.

There are still moments of brilliance though, and I enjoy mostly all of the characters. I don't really care for that hat and glasses guy, or Alec Baldwin's assistant. everyone else is great.

but lately I've been liking Parks and Recreation better.

checkyourprez
03-31-2010, 01:17 PM
I'm having a little trouble liking the current season. It's getting too wacky. Before it was wacky, but semi-plausible, now it's kinda too much like a cartoon.

I mean, come on, you can't actually fit a waffle in a DVD player.

There are still moments of brilliance though, and I enjoy mostly all of the characters. I don't really care for that hat and glasses guy, or Alec Baldwin's assistant. everyone else is great.

but lately I've been liking Parks and Recreation better.

shark jumping? i dont watch enough (well ever) to tell.

Dorothy Wood
03-31-2010, 01:26 PM
I don't think it's jumped the shark, but it seems like they're running out of ideas or at least having trouble reining in the ideas that are too silly.

I have faith that it'll get better. If not, then oh well.