PDA

View Full Version : elevator(s)

b i o n i c
04-06-2010, 03:37 PM
(!) how hard and fast you press that button is directly related to how fast the gotdang elevator comes to your floor. its rigged to the lubrication system somehow, like the primer on a lawn mower

apparently everyone's just standing there in trance of rhythmic shoe clicks, waiting for SOMEONE with some sense to come round and press the damn button. some sort of hero with the wits to just reeeeally press the helllllll outta that button!

for that i applaud you - and the impatience gets us all there just a little bit sooner (y)

jabumbo
04-06-2010, 07:12 PM
the elevators in my building won't come up to my floor unless you press both the up and down buttons. and then two will come right after another, first heading up and then heading down. the one going up will go up one more floor and then head back to the lobby. both elevators will then open up on the first floor at the same time.

ericlee
04-06-2010, 07:56 PM
dude, I work at a pretty high brow bank where most of the employees are graduates from Harvard and Yale and such.

I'll be taking the down elevator- clearly marked with an arrow going down and also a red light which happens to be the BOTTOM light stating that the freakin' elevator is going DOWN.

I cannot count how many times I go into the elevator and press the button for my lower floor destination and there's some freakin' sheep in the elevator pressing their upper destination rapidly and wondering why their floor number doesn't light up.

I usually wait for the doors to close and then I inform them, "this is going down."

b i o n i c
04-06-2010, 08:12 PM
the worst is the karate choppers in a building like that.. fucking wait for the next one, asshole!

ms.peachy
04-06-2010, 09:28 PM
You ain't seen bizarre elevator behavior until you been to China, mate. Ericlee probably knows what I mean.

Did you ever look at one of those capacity signs in the lift, one that says something like "Capacity: 28 people" and thought 'how on earth would you even get 28 people in here?'

Come to China, and you will see.

mikizee
04-06-2010, 09:30 PM
Here in Australia, we call elevators 'lifts'.

ericlee
04-06-2010, 10:43 PM
You ain't seen bizarre elevator behavior until you been to China, mate. Ericlee probably knows what I mean.

Did you ever look at one of those capacity signs in the lift, one that says something like "Capacity: 28 people" and thought 'how on earth would you even get 28 people in here?'

Come to China, and you will see.

I'm still uncertain which is worse. The elevator situation or the trains. I think the trains.

b i o n i c
04-06-2010, 11:06 PM
lifts! i want to know about chinese lifts now (y) i can imagine they involve lots of elbows

b i o n i c
04-06-2010, 11:35 PM
the elevators in my building won't come up to my floor unless you press both the up and down buttons. and then two will come right after another, first heading up and then heading down. the one going up will go up one more floor and then head back to the lobby. both elevators will then open up on the first floor at the same time.

there has to be some up down pattern that makes it come right down to you asap

jabumbo
04-07-2010, 10:26 AM
^ they just sit on the first floor all of the time. it is bizarre.

for a while, one of the elevators would always take you up to the top floor no matter what you pressed and then go back down to the first floor before it would actually go to the floor you wanted.

sort of annoying that you can't access the stairs from the lobby since that would probably be so much faster and easier

b i o n i c
04-07-2010, 12:35 PM
i got stuck in an elevator full of old russian ladies at a gala event once D:

old people love elevators. so do ladies at the 59th street station, HOLY SHIT. subway station elevators attract the worst of all elevator criminals. you've never seen slow till you've observed an nyc subway elevator

this old dude gets in the elevator the other night in his best easter suit holding two giant empty bud ice cans, looks at me and goes 'im tired'.

jackrock
04-09-2010, 12:39 AM
Cable elevators are the safest form of transportation.

pshabi
04-09-2010, 01:38 AM
I delivered Chinese food in college. Made a delivery to a grad house on the 11th floor once. Was hustlin'. Came runnin back to the elevator and got in and started down. Don't know what the fuck I was doing, maybe slam dancing by myself or some shit, but I jumped up and down pretty hard. The elevator came screeching to a halt and i was trapped inside for about 20 minutes. Had to use the "emergency call" button. Since then, I have seen a few elevators with "do not jump" warnings. I endorse those warnings.

pshabi
04-09-2010, 01:39 AM
i got stuck in an elevator full of old russian ladies at a gala event once D:

Russia loves the bboys.

pshabi
04-09-2010, 01:40 AM
there has to be some up down pattern that makes it come right down to you asap

up up down down left right left right b a select start

nodanaonlyzuul
04-09-2010, 11:56 AM
this old dude gets in the elevator the other night in his best easter suit holding two giant empty bud ice cans, looks at me and goes 'im tired'.

that is amazing. my day would have been made. (y)

mickill
04-09-2010, 12:33 PM
This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiztqRjvlco) more or less sums up any concerns I have involving elevators.

Echewta
04-09-2010, 12:41 PM
I love responding to elevator entrapments. If you are ever stuck in an elevator, press the stop button and then pull it back out or visa versa. This will usually, even with old elevators, reset the system and you will be free and clear.

I was taught to be aware that some people will think that the air will run out if they are trapted for too long. "Its ok, you are not in an airlock."

jabumbo
04-09-2010, 01:18 PM
This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiztqRjvlco) more or less sums up any concerns I have involving elevators.

not sure what concerns me more here: the fact that this song exists, or the fact that enough effort was there to make a video about it.

b i o n i c
04-12-2010, 02:29 PM
up up down down left right left right b a select start

ha (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y12bWVi-ws)!

jabumbo
04-13-2010, 04:33 PM
ever since this thread was created, the elevators in my building have been responding to a single button push.

i no longer have to press both directions, wait a couple minutes, and then hope the one i get in actually goes down. (y)