PDA

View Full Version : Ipad

Burnout18
05-17-2010, 05:24 PM
ok i am thinking about purchasing an Ipad. I have a POS computer at home that can't connect to the wireless in the rest of the house (long story but i deal with it),it gets the job done with games and documents sooo i don't want to get a new computer or lap top. I am happy with my blackberry and service from t-mobile so i don't need an Iphone.

So i think im a candidate for an IPad, I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with it so far or if they could recommend it or maybe not recomend it.

Comments?!

kaiser soze
05-17-2010, 05:51 PM
I heard it's not very durable - dropping it might be the kiss of death

For a product like this I don't know why Apple didn't make it more durable, you know this is mostly a toy for most well to do families. A cute picture viewer and movie watcher for spoiled kids or the tech-savvy urbanite. I really can't see much utility for it other than internet/picture/video.

It sucks with Flash (software) and has little to offer for flash memory options

why not get a nicer laptop if you're going to pay the price?

ps

I appreciate Apple from a distance, I still would like a mac someday but refuse to buy into their other markets for a myriad of reasons.

Documad
05-18-2010, 12:20 AM
This is the first time I didn't jump into a new apple product. For me, it seemed like too much money for what would essentially be a toy for me. (I have a laptop that I love.) Plus I wonder what the applications will really cost -- what would I need to spend to take advantage of it? I'm already doling out too much money for ebooks and music, and the like as it is.

I decided to wait and see what my friends did with it, what it cost them, and hope that the price goes down and storage space goes up.

jabumbo
05-18-2010, 01:23 PM
just seems like a glorified iphone really

its not quite small enough to be truly portable, no more than a laptop would be anyway. maybe worth it for half the price, at best.

kaiser soze
05-18-2010, 01:38 PM
does the Ipad make phones calls?

If not, then I say it has less functional value than an Iphone

Adam
05-18-2010, 01:40 PM
I'm a reverse-snob so I kinda hate everything Apple even though it might be really good.

The reviews for Ipads I've read are mixed and when normally the reviews for anything Apple are 98% positive, it tells me that it might not be that great. I still don't see how its better than a netbook at half the price?

kaiser soze
05-18-2010, 01:44 PM
we know it would look cool on a coffee table....

but will it shred?

http://mashable.com/2010/05/05/ipad-skateboard/

Adam
05-18-2010, 02:09 PM
we know it would look cool on a coffee table....

but will it shred?

http://mashable.com/2010/05/05/ipad-skateboard/

love it (y)

roosta
05-18-2010, 04:12 PM
i've used one, they are pretty sweet.

I'm a Mac fan, for me, pound-for-point its the best computer out there, and the best I have ever used.

My iPod Touch is also the best mp3 player I've ever had...nothing else comes close.

But I have no need for an iPad...it would be a luxury. I can completely understand the market for them; if they were cheaper I'd get one. But having an iPod touch, and a laptop which is almost always on when I'm home..i just can't justify it. But they are great little machines.

Its a media consuming device, its perfect for browsing the web at home, reading, etc.

I'm convinced the tablet is here to stay, its just going to grow and grow as a market. There are people who want to use the web, but don't need a full on computer, this will be it. (Not necessarily Apple's iPad, but a tablet computer)

kaiser soze
05-18-2010, 04:30 PM
Its a media consuming device, its perfect for browsing the web at home, reading, etc.

Then why all the hub bub over Flash/HTML5 and also the prospect that it cannot multitask? I would assume media machines would be able to flip about options quite freely and fluidly - maybe it can, I don't know - wouldn't a media machine also support all sorts of flash memory?

It is definitely the start of something, I'm sure Apple could have packed more on.

Burnout18
05-18-2010, 04:41 PM
ok thanks everyone. I think i'll make a decision closer to the end of july. I have some money saved up, but i wanna see if the price falls and see if i can get my hands on one to try out. I hate buying the first generation of anything but this may be the exception.

roosta
05-18-2010, 05:02 PM
Then why all the hub bub over Flash/HTML5 and also the prospect that it cannot multitask? I would assume media machines would be able to flip about options quite freely and fluidly - maybe it can, I don't know - wouldn't a media machine also support all sorts of flash memory?

It is definitely the start of something, I'm sure Apple could have packed more on.

Flash memory? Or Flash, the Adobe Rich Internet Application format?

If its Flash, the multimedia format, I still don't see the point...I never said it could consume all media. Anyways, Flash accounts for alot less of the web than people think, and most major video sites are or have switched to HTML5 compatible formats too.

As for multitasking, that will be enabled by September with the new OS.

kaiser soze
05-18-2010, 05:44 PM
Flash memory? Or Flash, the Adobe Rich Internet Application format?

actually both (FLASH, and flash memory) - ya know takin' pics and plugging the card into your Ipad to see.

nice to see the OS will be improved upon

yeahwho
05-18-2010, 05:55 PM
I like it a lot, with money not being any object in the equation I would own one now, 1.6 lbs. is pretty light and the battery life at 10 hours is awesome.

It's not a game changer as far as digital products IMO, but it does point in the right direction for fast, lightweight multimedia capabilities. I really like the kindle style capabilities and the screen usability for games, movies pictures and music interface just rocks.... though I am an admitted hater of itunes, I am impressed with how much tighter itunes is than the rest of the players.

I just cannot afford this bitch, no matter how I slice it. I still have my Archos 80gig 605 (http://reviews.cnet.com/portable-video-players-pvps/archos-605-wifi-80gb/4505-6499_7-32553702.html?tag=mncol;lst;1) player with 5000 songs and a constant rotation of a dozen movies going 3 years later and it sits up in my shirt pocket... which was my criteria 3 years ago, I don't want to lug around bulky electronic equipment and that is the main reason to say no.

Only if money were no object... then yes.

mikizee
05-18-2010, 09:26 PM
I would like to see what apps are available for it in about 12 months time...

When the iphone came out no doubt it was a great phone, but what really made it awesome is all the apps that have been developed for it. Now the iphone has a billion different uses. Even can be used as a credit card terminal!

I may buy one, but I'll wait for ipad 2.0.

Here in South Australia I just read yesterday that a software company have developed an app for mental health services, as a replacement for hard copy forms you have to fill out. Need to fill out a form? Heres an ipad. Reduces the need for paper.

So we are just scratching the surface with what the ipad is actually capable of.

jabumbo
05-19-2010, 08:36 AM
Only if money were no object... then yes.

i understand your point and all, but if this were the case, i'd probably own every other piece of technology!

Here in South Australia I just read yesterday that a software company have developed an app for mental health services, as a replacement for hard copy forms you have to fill out. Need to fill out a form? Heres an ipad. Reduces the need for paper. .

this here, is what its about. can you imagine doctors carrying these things around and being able to pull up your file from anywhere in the hospital? every time i am in for a check up, my doc takes about 5 minutes messing around on the computer before he starts adding my info because the hospital is trying to become "paperless".

Guy Incognito
05-29-2010, 03:40 PM
Charlie brooker review in todays guardian, its funny. (http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2010/may/29/ipad-review-charlie-brooker)

yeahwho
05-29-2010, 04:56 PM
i understand your point and all, but if this were the case, i'd probably own every other piece of technology!

I guess I did not preface the "Money No Object" claim very well, I mean I would buy it sure, but I also would use it way less that my Archos player, because my archos fits in my shirt pocket and supports flash adobe et;al plus the model I have has 80 gigs, I have 8 Scorsese movies on it that recorded themselves by changing channels on my comcast box between HBO, Showbox, Max, etc. Plus a few thousand pics and songs. Plus it is a touch screen. I take it everywhere and have used it daily for 3 years.

After reading the Charlie Brooker review I would be even less inclined to buy it because of the weight issue and glare.

It will be figured out in 5 or so years.

Lyman Zerga
05-29-2010, 04:58 PM
i wouldnt spend money on it but it would be ok for me to get it for free

TurdBerglar
05-29-2010, 05:17 PM
http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/06/icds-tegra-2-powered-gemini-is-the-most-feature-complete-tablet/

JBernas
05-29-2010, 08:40 PM
I don't really see the point. The hubs is trying to convince me we need one. I already have a MacBook Pro and I love it. It's pretty small and light plus we have Blackberries. Maybe if we had a big, hurting, albatross of a computer and maybe if it wasn't so expensive......

Adam
05-30-2010, 02:23 AM
You've been able to get these Andriod Tablets (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.39459) a while now and they've had decent reviews. And for $136 - I'd rather try one of them first and upgrade if I feel I still have too much money afterwards.

roosta
05-30-2010, 04:56 AM
any review of an android tablet to date i've seen has found them severely wanting...