PDA

View Full Version : the gulf

weez
06-13-2010, 03:14 AM
ok, come on now, bash oil and bp all you want, but you have no one to blame but yourselves. you want to drive your cars down the street to pick up whatever it is you want to get, and then you bash an unfortunate incident that happens. since the dawn of man, there have been industrial incidents that have claimed life, and the environment. it sucks for you, and especially sucks for the people in the gulf, but oil doesn't grow on trees, and if you're so rotted about using it, then where's all the money for researching alternative energies? no wheres? that's what i thought.

in closing, start blaming yourselves for the gulf disaster, and stop scapgoating everyone else.

Bob
06-13-2010, 03:18 AM
ok, come on now, bash oil and bp all you want, but you have no one to blame but yourselves. you want to drive your cars down the street to pick up whatever it is you want to get, and then you bash an unfortunate incident that happens. since the dawn of man, there have been industrial incidents that have claimed life, and the environment. it sucks for you, and especially sucks for the people in the gulf, but oil doesn't grow on trees, and if you're so rotted about using it, then where's all the money for researching alternative energies? no wheres? that's what i thought.

in closing, start blaming yourselves for the gulf disaster, and stop scapgoating everyone else.

so what you're saying is that this is all your fault

weez
06-13-2010, 03:21 AM
mos definately; wanna share the blame? i'm as greedy as the next person.

Bob
06-13-2010, 03:22 AM
i don't have a car so i'm slightly less to blame

weez
06-13-2010, 03:25 AM
fine, but i'm sure you've indulged in plastic, pop (soda), or walked on asphalt before.

Bob
06-13-2010, 03:32 AM
i subsist on a diet of non-biodegradable waste and tar balls

weez
06-13-2010, 03:35 AM
well shit, good on ya.

b i o n i c
06-15-2010, 05:11 PM
this situation is a good demonstration of how precarious our entire existence is. kinda makes a person feel small.
has it been two months now? what if it happened in other places at the same time?

kaiser soze
06-15-2010, 06:31 PM
I guess we should also blame ourselves for food poisoning, toxic chemicals in children's toys, and auto accelerators that stick (y)

it is our fault - not the people who created the fucking messes.

Now on a serious note - if oil wasn't made a necessity (and an extremely profitable and exploitable necessity nonetheless) and competitively priced alternatives were available I guarantee people would shift their use.

100% ILL
06-15-2010, 08:53 PM
ok, come on now, bash oil and bp all you want, but you have no one to blame but yourselves.

Oh please, How could you not blame a company who makes billions of dollars in profit annually, for knowingly cutting corners on safety; which cost the lives of eleven people, caused enormous economic hardship on the Gulf Coast fishing industry, and yet to be determined environmental damage. And they did it for what? To save a few dollars.

you want to drive your cars down the street to pick up whatever it is you want to get, and then you bash an unfortunate incident that happens.

For the majority, driving has become a necessity, and seeing as how our entire infrastructure is based on fossil fuel consumption, there really is no viable option at the moment. I admire your idealism, but the fact remains the big oil companies have us in a strangle hold. And as far as this "unfortuante incident" is concerned, it would be more accurate to call it a disaster, and one that could have been avoided at that.

stop scapgoating everyone else.

Scapegoating is usually blaming someone who is not directly responsible and letting them take the fall. I don't see holding the party responsible for such an utter failure, as scapegoating them.

yeahwho
06-15-2010, 10:09 PM
Oh please, How could you not blame a company who makes billions of dollars in profit annually, for knowingly cutting corners on safety; which cost the lives of eleven people, caused enormous economic hardship on the Gulf Coast fishing industry, and yet to be determined environmental damage. And they did it for what? To save a few dollars.

For the majority, driving has become a necessity, and seeing as how our entire infrastructure is based on fossil fuel consumption, there really is no viable option at the moment. I admire your idealism, but the fact remains the big oil companies have us in a strangle hold. And as far as this "unfortuante incident" is concerned, it would be more accurate to call it a disaster, and one that could have been avoided at that.

Scapegoating is usually blaming someone who is not directly responsible and letting them take the fall. I don't see holding the party responsible for such an utter failure, as scapegoating them.

I have to agree. I make a purchase and spend my cash I expect the manufacturer to be responsible. The volatility of petroleum products is very well documented. I didn't have any say in this process nor am I being fully informed of any lack of response to a malfunction.

In fact I'm being told quite the opposite by both BP and the government. They have been talking about how great it is to drill for oil in the gulf. Wanting to expand and accelerate the process.

It turns out to be just one big huge lie, bigger than anyone can imagine. The liars owe us restitution.

weez
06-16-2010, 11:47 PM
this situation is a good demonstration of how precarious our entire existence is. kinda makes a person feel small.
has it been two months now? what if it happened in other places at the same time?

good point, that would be a pretty shit situation, really. i imagine most the the eastern north american coast's spill protection equipment, and some of the west's is tied up, already.

I guess we should also blame ourselves for food poisoning, toxic chemicals in children's toys, and auto accelerators that stick (y)

Now on a serious note - if oil wasn't made a necessity (and an extremely profitable and exploitable necessity nonetheless) and competitively priced alternatives were available I guarantee people would shift their use.

well that's ridiculous, cause i don't even make children's toys.

anyway... not sure what perfect world you come from, but i know on this planet there's nothing that's 100% risk free, or 100% non-defective. it costs a lot of time and money to design, manufacture, and ultimately sell anything. you can't over-design something, cause it costs too much, takes way too long, is a never-ending cycle, and isn't economically worth worrying about for that 0.0009 (or whatever) chance of failure. the oil industry is a very risky business, and everyone in it and around it knows. clearly bp had no intention, and definitely didn't want this to happen (they're losing billions of dollars over it, and who know what the total will be when it's all said and done), and i doubt they made some sort of business plan over it.

ride a bike, take the subway, or walk. there will be no economically viable replacement for oil any time soon. there won't be. governments aren't putting any real full backing into alternative energies, and there aren't millions of people shouting from their rooves for them to cough up the funding. even if they did, oil (and god forbid nuclear) is the only way to get the energy needed for the research (we're talking pressures and temperatures that are so high and energy intensive, we haven't gotten close enough to reaching them).

there have been 'engineering disasters' since the dawn of time, and there will continue to be many until way past out lives. every act has risks, and the world's been lucky so far, but the probability caught up, and here we are. even the safest event on the earth will have an incident. human error, as well as mechical failure can create events so obscure that they will go undetected, and catastrophic failure occurs. it happens with oil, and will happen in the future with whatever replacement we end up coming up with. you can't blame the ceo of bp for jack shit. one, he had nothing to do with this job what-soever. he's a ceo, and does nothing about day-to-day operations. two- he has to cover his ass, and the 92,000 plus employees (not including the hundreds of thousands of offshoot businesses that rely on bp and industry), so they can have a job in the morning, and support their families. also, transocean was the contractor for the job, so they have have a part in it all, too. you'd cover your own ass is shit went down for you, too.

if they didn't follow industry standards, and they neglected safety without a good reason, and without actually thinking the problem out with the proper procedures, then they will be found criminally responsible, and will have to pay the price. there's not a single person on this board that can make that call, and it will take a lot of investigating to uncover. unfortunately, the scene of the incident is 10 km below sea level.

you'll have to re-read my original post, cause i think you missed the point. everyone has to share the blame in this.

kaiser soze
06-17-2010, 12:36 AM
wow, thanks for much of nothin'

by your response you are just as equally to blame for everything so welcome to the party!

MCD
06-19-2010, 02:24 AM

the problem seems to be that we are all, and i mean ALL, unwilling to get off of the dope that we call oil. our entire society seems to be built on consumer products that are made from oil of some sort. not just the cars we need to pilot to get to work--i have an 80 mile round trip to my new job; i drive alone as do most (90%) of drivers in atlanta, but all of the products that we select and expect of the people that we purchase our lifestyles from. We must take this tragedy and use it as a catalyst for getting off of oil all together. as long as we as a race-humanity-feel the need to subsist off of the technology we have, oil, we will rape and pillage our mother for that resource as long as it is there.

we must decide as a populace that we are willing to pay a bit of a price...it can't be a huge price because the people that find a solution will eventually reap a huge reward in the form of patents and rights to future profits...to save our race. if we don't work to get off the dope as a whole society that we 'purchase' from our mother we will surely find a way to end our society. we must decide as a populace to find a new and renewable energy source. we must call upon our government and the governments of the world to support the exploration and cultivation of new and renewable energy sources.

until we choose to rid ourselves of the burden of oil we will forever be dependent upon those who posses the resources that it takes to run our society. we must think outside the box to figure out how to replace those resources that we need within the confines of our own production capabilities.

when we figure out this conundrum of humanity or at least try to make some headway towards the problem we might just well be on our way to finding a way to ensure the human race a bit longer stay here on the rock we call mother earth.