07-18-2010, 05:05 AM
8/10

brilliant.

BBboy20
07-18-2010, 05:10 AM
It has franchise potential.

abcdefz
07-18-2010, 05:18 AM
Man, I wanted to like this movie. But it just felt over-stuffed and not as fun as it could have been. MEMENTO was arguably more grim, but it was still *fun*.

That said, Leo was really really good in it. I was kind of surprised, because the stuff cut into the trailers made it look like he was trying too hard. In the movie, it works.

roosta
07-18-2010, 05:43 AM
about the 1/2 way / 2/3rd point the film felt like it started to drift. I was kind of confused as to what was going on, and it seemed to be going no where, but then it was like all the strings starting being pulled in one direction and it came together so well, and so entertainingly that it finished with a great flourish.

It was one of the most original things i've seen in a long time. Possibly since "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" which it is very similar to.

If Leonardo DiCaprio doesn't do a comedy soon, though, he's going to end up with a permanent scowl on his face.

JoLovesMCA
07-18-2010, 07:30 AM
I loved it. The first 20 minutes I was a little lost and didn't know where it was headed but then it just got better and better and fast so by the end I was hooked!!! At the end the audience roared, we were literally on pins and needles wondering what the heck was gonna happen. Such an amazing film from the details and the visuals and acting was strong.... (y)

abcdefz
07-18-2010, 02:58 PM
I think the projections needed more personality or menace. I'm thinking of the 1978 Invasion of the Body Snatchers, where the citizens as a mob were like one functioning swarm and just creepy. This was almost instead like a personality-free video game at times. Good spectacle but the characters, for the most part, needed more depth or charm.

kaiser soze
07-18-2010, 04:27 PM
disclaimer - I have yet to see this movie but am planning on seeing it in a couple hours

unfortunately I think the added depth may have taken away the accessibility for many regular movie goers who are fans of Nolan's work. I think Nolan knows what he is doing - the concept is clear to those who want more, but it doesn't muddy itself up in complexity.

Sometimes a director has to make that balance - This movie is obviously a bigger banger than Memento but falls into the same category of mental allure. Nolan is now beyond cult director - he's trying to keep them cerebral without losing box office numbers.

monkey
07-18-2010, 10:38 PM
im not sure if what im about to say contains spoilers (lets just assume it does), so dont read it if you dont wanna know:

-

-

-

i thought it was good but there were a few things that just annoyed me: a) if limbo was a place that you could get out by killing yourself, why the fear of falling into limbo? the whole concept seems to have been lost on the asian dude.
b) the whole dream defense thing seemed a like it was put in place to provide action and suspense, but it seemed lacking.

that's it, really. not a lot to be bothered by, i guess. does anyone else think that the ellen page character, had it been any other early 20's actress, would have been a love-interest for dicaprio? i think it works very well as it is, but it seemed like it was something that could have happened.

also, at the end of movie, there was a giant collective groan from the audience, then they started applauding. it was kinda cool.

kaiser soze
07-18-2010, 11:22 PM
Just got back from viewing this and I gotta admit - I'm on the fence. First I think things were convoluted by trying to make it this exceptionally complex idea (dream stealing), so the dialogue suffered with the same mumbo jumbo bull as the Matrix, obviously when younger it was all like whooooa!?!

So I can see why it fell short for some ( as much as a potential mental bender this could have been - it actually felt forced ). Simplifying might have made it easier to swallow and help the story along. If the movie produced the visual aids to the concepts as the trailer led me to believe that would have hit the spot.

- Spoiler Alerts! -

Ok so - the movie tosses you into the exposition 2 dreams deep already causing some confusion for me, I had a feeling it would start in a dream but ease me in - the pace of the beginning definitely made me believe it would set the tone for the whole movie, eh not really. Maybe like a light hearted heist or something. How did they end up in the other guys (attacked by the rabid futbol fans) dream anyways?

On Dicaprio and Levitt's characters - I definitely dug the latter's deliverance better. Dicaprio wasn't bad, but if he brought just a little bit of the quality found in The Departed rather than The Titantic I would've been sold. It wasn't his best performance and definitely wasn't commanding enough as the protagonist (was he?). Levitt was smooth, he knew he was second best but brought the style to this movie. He convinced me he could steal dreams and kick some ass - this role has saved him from his bullshit part in Gi Joe.

I really wanted Page's character to be awesome. I gotta admit she is my movie crush right now as I'm sure many guys went because of her. But I'm sad to see her talent wasted. She was alright, a bit weak in her deliverance and didn't transform the "Architect" into someone who knew how to build shit. I thought she would pull a twist or two to save the bunch from the projections, there was alot of potential with what she was supposed to bring to the table and didn't. I felt sad for her because she never seemed to catch on to what was going on. It seems her real purpose was to help translate Dicaprio's turmoil with his wife to the audience.

Some thoughts on the movie

Man, did the middle slow it the fuck down -

How could one person manipulate the dream while the architect couldn't think up some "alterations" or something to help them through.

Special effects sequences lacked, I think a piece of each was seen in the trailers. I was really hoping the trailer parts were the weaker scenes.

The third tier should've taken place at the Fischer Headquarters and have some twists in the dream to fuck with everyone. The only hard parts were the militarized projections.

Would've been nice if Dicaprio's wife was the Inception (for him at least), talk about total mind fuck. Also - he did kill her, he made her think she was still in the dream because he had to move on - that's what I got from it.

Granted there were great "dream" scenes, some of the action was more realistic than your over-the-top action movie. Come on! This is about dreams, ton of potential lost.

Not bad, but not as bad ass as I was hoping.

kaiser soze
07-18-2010, 11:28 PM
p.s.

Cobb is still in the dream

A. Chimendez
07-18-2010, 11:30 PM
^No he isn't. He wouldn't have been able to see his kid's faces if he was still dreaming. But then again, it didn't look like they aged either...soooo yeah.

I love the ambiguity of it. And watching that top spin at the end was agonizing.

kaiser soze
07-18-2010, 11:39 PM
A few things lead me to believe this:

1) The voice of the daughter on the phone was definitely older than the physical child we see
2) I don't get the vibe that the kid's know of their dead mother - the kids in the dream are trapped in time before her suicide.
3) We never see him kick out of the 1st tier of Fischer's dream.
4) He is either convinced he is home or Saito pulled an Inception on him as the arrangement
5) Why didn't the top fall? What is the reason why Nolan wouldn't give the audience closure?

checkyourprez
07-19-2010, 12:40 AM
A few things lead me to believe this:

1) The voice of the daughter on the phone was definitely older than the physical child we see
2) I don't get the vibe that the kid's know of their dead mother - the kids in the dream are trapped in time before her suicide.
3) We never see him kick out of the 1st tier of Fischer's dream.
4) He is either convinced he is home or Saito pulled an Inception on him as the arrangement
5) Why didn't the top fall? What is the reason why Nolan wouldn't give the audience closure?

this and the fact that it had leo in it made it seem to me like a shutter island II. (besides the fact that it had no other like qualities)

checkyourprez
07-19-2010, 12:45 AM
im not sure if what im about to say contains spoilers (lets just assume it does), so dont read it if you dont wanna know:

-

-

-

i thought it was good but there were a few things that just annoyed me: a) if limbo was a place that you could get out by killing yourself, why the fear of falling into limbo? the whole concept seems to have been lost on the asian dude.
b) the whole dream defense thing seemed a like it was put in place to provide action and suspense, but it seemed lacking.

that's it, really. not a lot to be bothered by, i guess. does anyone else think that the ellen page character, had it been any other early 20's actress, would have been a love-interest for dicaprio? i think it works very well as it is, but it seemed like it was something that could have happened.

also, at the end of movie, there was a giant collective groan from the audience, then they started applauding. it was kinda cool.

this is just what i thought was said, but you don't wake up when you die and go into limbo; you only wake up from normal dreams when you die. thats why it fries your brain because the sedative keeps you asleep so when you die in your dream it takes you into limbo and your mind just goes to shit.

and i thought the dream defense thing was pretty interesting and plausible for the movie. if that sort of technology is known it would only make sense that people would try and create a defense for it. since it is all about the mental, once they are in your dream there is no other defense than to create a defense in the mind that could protect you within dreams.

kaiser soze
07-19-2010, 01:05 AM
I'm still wrapping my head around Cobb being in a dream still - quite possibly it's not even Fischer's dream he is in. We know there are tiers of dreams, he could be 10, 20, 30 tiers deep now.

What if his wife committed suicide to kick herself out of their shared dream? Towards the end of the movie we did see old people holding hands, what if Cobb is actually an old man dreaming just like the old people they saw shared dreaming because that had become their new reality?

just a thought, I know there are other possible indicators

MCD
07-19-2010, 01:18 AM
being stoned helped. i think the entire movie was cobb's dream...it seemed like the 'crazy' plot twist that was overtly obvious. how about that 'i see dead people' kid. other than the twist that i called an hour before the movie finished the acting and story were very good, but i just don't buy leo as any kind of action/ass kicking star. nope.

you know its a dream because you have no idea how the movie starts-how did everyone get there?

roosta
07-19-2010, 07:22 AM
that type of ending it brilliant. its just like the end of "Halloween" or "Prince of Darkness".

Its just one last thrill for audience, to keep you thinking.

Closure is over-rated.

A. Chimendez
07-19-2010, 10:26 AM
Anybody that still has questions should go http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Inception-Explained-Unraveling-The-Dream-Within-The-Dream-19615.html (Questions explained)

To quickly cut and paste the to answer the limbo question above:
"The real obstacle to getting out of limbo seems to be realizing that you're in limbo. At the end of the film, it takes an appearance by Cobb to remind Saito that the world he's in isn't real, and once he realizes Saito reaches for a gun and, presumably, shoots himself in order to escape. It could be that your brain only actually is damaged out if you stay in Limbo for the full term, or if you stay there after the machine connection powering the dream is disconnected."

Freebasser
07-19-2010, 01:19 PM
Closure is over-rated.

Not in the good ol' US of A though. You can't have an open ending, much like the way you can't have a draw in American Football - they need to know the outcome, damnit!

I thought it was a good film, but lost my concentration in places - could've been trimmed down in places. The constant clips of the van falling over the edge of the bridge started to do my head in.

8/10

abcdefz
07-19-2010, 03:44 PM
I actually thought DiCaprio was really good in this, and I thought JGL did what he could with a kinda thin role. It was almost the opposite of what I expected.

nodanaonlyzuul
07-19-2010, 04:13 PM
Anybody that still has questions should go http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Inception-Explained-Unraveling-The-Dream-Within-The-Dream-19615.html (http://Questions%20explained)

To quickly cut and paste the to answer the limbo question above:
"The real obstacle to getting out of limbo seems to be realizing that you're in limbo. At the end of the film, it takes an appearance by Cobb to remind Saito that the world he's in isn't real, and once he realizes Saito reaches for a gun and, presumably, shoots himself in order to escape. It could be that your brain only actually is damaged out if you stay in Limbo for the full term, or if you stay there after the machine connection powering the dream is disconnected."

Yeah I thought that was pretty well explained in the movie, especially with the addition of what time feels like in the various levels in comparison to real time: limbo time is a lifetime.

Although with all the various elements in place it can be hard to keep track of how it works and one could easily miss that part.

I agree that character development is a weak point in the film, but it was pretty darn good and really fun to watch regardless. I'm torn between 7.5 and 8, so I just rounded up.

abcdefz
07-19-2010, 05:42 PM
SPOILER AHEAD

Now, help me with this, though: If the elevator wouldn't fall because of zero gravity, why did he have to wait before blowing up the second cable? Why not just blow it up and let zero G do its thing until the kick made it fall?

checkyourprez
07-19-2010, 06:12 PM
can't help you there chief.

but i do think incorporating that falling feeling you get that wakes you up sometimes in dreams into the movie was cool.

what i dont get though is how everyone is in someone elses dream. shouldn't they be a projectile (or whatever they were called) in that other persons dream, but really be doing whatever in their own dream? thats something i need to be re-explained to me.

rirv
07-19-2010, 07:51 PM
I just want to put it out there that Inception depressed me. Don't misunderstand me - I thought it was a great film, rated it 9/10 above and think it delivered everything you want from a thriller - I don't think there's any need to spend months trying to work out whether he's still in a dream or limbo or dead; I think one should take from it what you want - in my case he is in reality and it all worked out. No, what depressed me was how fucking well dressed they all were. Great shirts and suits and well fitting trousers. All except the fat apothecary. I can't afford such well fitting clothes with exceptional attention to detail and lovely patterning and texture. :(

A. Chimendez
07-19-2010, 11:02 PM
SPOILER AHEAD

Now, help me with this, though: If the elevator wouldn't fall because of zero gravity, why did he have to wait before blowing up the second cable? Why not just blow it up and let zero G do its thing until the kick made it fall?

Arthur blows up an elevator to create a Kick in anti-gravity. How does that work?
A: Since there is no gravity, Arthur disconnects the elevator from the cables and then uses an explosion to propel it, as it would be propelled if there were gravity. When it hits the bottom they're shaken around, creating a Kick. Arthur uses the elevator because he needs a way to insure that the Kick occurs quickly and to everyone at once so he doesn't have to do them one at a time, in much the same way the falling van drops them together.

A. Chimendez
07-20-2010, 09:50 PM
In anycase, I loved the ending.
It ties the entire thing together and brings the audience into the experience. That last scene makes you question everything. And I really don't think that it automatically means it was some weak M. Night Shaldkalhlsfshfei "twist" ending; it doesn't mean that he was dreaming the whole time. It just makes you question everything you saw just like the characters in the movie. We watched these characters have to question every moment they experienced on whether or not what they saw/did was a dream or not, and with the ending, so does the viewer.
Everyone who saw it had a shared dream experience, and really that's the brilliance of the movie, and the kind of film making Chris Nolan has perfected. He did the same thing with Memento and The Prestige.

Helvete
07-20-2010, 10:02 PM
No, what depressed me was how fucking well dressed they all were. Great shirts and suits and well fitting trousers. All except the fat apothecary. I can't afford such well fitting clothes with exceptional attention to detail and lovely patterning and texture. :(

Haha, yes! I was really envious at some of the tailoring on display in this film.

A. Chimendez
07-20-2010, 10:05 PM
OH and who the hell rated it a 1!?

Helvete
07-20-2010, 10:12 PM
No-one who has actually seen the movie that's for sure.

Bob
07-22-2010, 02:02 AM
everyone's already said everything i could think to say about the plot, so i'll just point out that the fight scene in the spinny hotel hallway thing where they were fighting all over the walls and ceiling was incredible

Bob
07-22-2010, 02:56 PM
also i think it's pretty clear that the whole thing wasn't a dream because if you were going to have a dream and michael caine was in it, he'd have a bigger part

abcdefz
07-22-2010, 04:22 PM
SPOILERS MAYBE

I think the whole thing is Cobb's dream, and Mal is the one who escaped limbo.

Helvete
07-22-2010, 06:59 PM
Why would you come here to rate inception if you haven't seen the film?

Dorothy Wood
07-27-2010, 04:59 AM
I just want to put it out there that Inception depressed me. Don't misunderstand me - I thought it was a great film, rated it 9/10 above and think it delivered everything you want from a thriller - I don't think there's any need to spend months trying to work out whether he's still in a dream or limbo or dead; I think one should take from it what you want - in my case he is in reality and it all worked out. No, what depressed me was how fucking well dressed they all were. Great shirts and suits and well fitting trousers. All except the fat apothecary. I can't afford such well fitting clothes with exceptional attention to detail and lovely patterning and texture. :(

ha! i must say it was pretty pleasant to watch a movie with so many sharp-looking gentlemen

Yeah I thought that was pretty well explained in the movie, especially with the addition of what time feels like in the various levels in comparison to real time: limbo time is a lifetime.

Although with all the various elements in place it can be hard to keep track of how it works and one could easily miss that part.

i agree. especially about the time factor.

and my thoughts are that the people can share dreams because there is a shared consciousness among every living being and the dream hopping people have somehow figured out a way to harness, navigate and then manipulate that consciousness. and maybe all the levels are actually just parallel realities that your mind can only access when you're sleeping.

so maybe some people who think they're psychic actually are...like they somehow know how to access the other realities while awake, or are conscious while dreaming.

basically, everyone's a ghost

abcdefz
08-10-2010, 09:45 PM
Just saw it again. Liked it better this time. Still don't think it's a masterpiece, but it's awfully good.

SPOILER

I'm pretty sure Cobb was still in limbo at the end. Michael Caine shows up in America out of nowhere and the cut to Cobb's home is very much like a "do you remember how we got here?" moment.

rirv
08-10-2010, 10:28 PM
Why didn't Michael Caine just fly the kids out to France or wherever?

abcdefz
08-10-2010, 10:39 PM
Grandma plus possible extradition.

Waus
08-11-2010, 03:46 PM
Just set Edith Piaf - Je Ne Regrette Rien as my alarm.

:D

saz
08-14-2010, 07:09 PM
I gotta admit she is my movie crush right now as I'm sure many guys went because of her.

are you serious?

she looks like she's twelve years-old.

kaiser soze
08-14-2010, 07:35 PM
That's why I said crush and not full on hard on dude - did you see her in X-men? She walks through walls, that's cool.

saz
08-14-2010, 08:04 PM
yeah i saw her in x-men, and she looked like a nine year-old.

kaiser soze
08-14-2010, 08:38 PM
well unfortunately she will look that way for life, she is still a cool actress and cute (http://images.askmen.com/women/celeb_profiles_actress/36_ellen_page.jpg), get over it.

p.s.

she's 23, so no worries man

don't you have a boring (http://beastieboys.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=95132) thread to tend to?

BBboy20
08-17-2010, 06:39 PM
That's why I said crush and not full on hard on dude - did you see her in X-men? She walks through walls, that's cool.She was Shadow Cat? O_o

For some reason, it was seeing Inception that had me actually notice how attractive Page is.

cosmo105
08-17-2010, 10:13 PM
I just don't see it. I kept being embarrassed for her and averting my eyes from the massive sixhead.

kaiser soze
08-17-2010, 10:16 PM
That's because of her brrrrrrains!!!

and better than a double rainbow (y)

Tzar
08-19-2010, 09:39 PM
agree with cosmo; just don't see it. nothing cute about her? so bland.

marion collitard now... that's hot.

Bob
08-19-2010, 09:49 PM
yeah she's ok. she's very cute for a normal person but she's not movie hot. i wouldn't shift uncomfortably in my seat trying to hide a boner if she had a nude scene is all i'm saying

trailerprincess
12-19-2010, 09:26 AM
A bit behind the times but finally got around to seeing this and thought I would check out this thread for more worldly opinions on the ending. Overall, I thought it was good. It's a brilliant idea but I almost wish they hadn't cocked it up with the whole story with his wife; the idea of stealing and planting things through dreams is enough of a storyline. Styling and stylistics were awesome I agree, and the falling scenes were great. I love the idea of using that kick because I often get that (and a sense that my head is completely detached from my body). No where near enough of Cillian Murphy - he needs WAAAAY more screen time.

And yes, I think the ending is a dream still.

ToucanSpam
12-22-2010, 01:17 PM
And yes, I think the ending is a dream still.

Check out the Blu-Ray/DVD version, crank up the volume as soon as the movie ends. During the "INCEPTION" caption you can hear the top wobble more as though it is sliding across the table. Also, care of IMDB:

*SPOILER: DON'T READ UNLESS YOU'VE SEEN THE MOVIE AND DON'T CARE TO HAVE THE AMBIGUITY OF THE MOVIE RUINED*
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1375666/faq#.2.1.67