PDA

View Full Version : I got a job interview Monday!

abcdefz
07-23-2010, 04:04 PM
Whew. It's just a phone interview, but... dang. Two interviews in almost five months.

I just got off the phone earlier with AT&T because I can't pay my entire bill and obviously don't want my phone disconnected. The woman
gave me an extension which still isn't very helpful and then tried repeatedly to sell me on cable and a land line and such because "we do have
specials currently in your area." Even though when she started our conversation I said I wasn't interested in any other products or services.
I finally just said, "Like I said, I honestly have no money right now. If I did, I'd be calling to pay my bill, not have this conversation."

It was a little rude, but dang.

Anyway, the job pays pretty well, so I hope I get it. And if I get it, I hope I like it. I worked a temp job for seven weeks that I really
disliked because I had zero interest in what we were doing. (Selling BMW auto part upgrades -- that was the only other interview I've had.)

venusvenus123
07-23-2010, 04:11 PM
Good luck!

What's it doing? if that's not too rude...

abcdefz
07-23-2010, 04:26 PM
Venus, have you ever been rude in your life? :D

It's a center adminsitrator at a place that has short term courses and certification for various computer systems. I'd be the guy who
makes sure rooms and stations are all set up and tidy, snacks are provided, and so on. Basically teh guy who just makes sure that
everything's taken care of so the center can operate without hiccups.

We'll see what happens, but this really improves my mood. I wish that didn't rely on anything external, but being broke and unemployed
and selling off all my CDs and books has been kinda depressing. Liberating, too, but depressing.

Laver1969
07-23-2010, 09:22 PM
Best of luck A-Z on the interview!!!

abcdefz
07-24-2010, 02:38 PM
Thanks. As I think back on it, I think I've only had one interview where I didn't get the job (and one where I went through a battery of tests and didn't get the job). I know it's a whole other market out there these days, but I feel like my chances are good.

Fingers crossed!

abcdefz
07-26-2010, 02:53 PM
I think the interview went really well. I should find out if I make it to the second round by the end of the week.

jabumbo
07-26-2010, 03:05 PM
sounds good (y)

i've never had a job that went to multiple rounds on interviews. do they ask you the same things or what? seems like everything should be covered from the first one.

abcdefz
07-26-2010, 03:19 PM
I've only had one job that required more than one interview. Different people want to know different things or see if executive A gets the
same vibe as B, or whatever.

In this case, it was a screening, but seemed pretty thorough. It took half an hour, which isn't the longest interview ever, but it seemed
like we covered pretty much everything except maybe problem-solving anecdotes.

Fingers crossed. It really sounds like a good job for me.

abcdefz
07-26-2010, 03:21 PM
Actually, I realized I've had two interviews where I didn't get the job, but one of those was an internal interview where I was trying to
switch departments but they decided not to fill the vacancy after all. But after the first interview, they were already saying they wanted
to set up another to "meet some people." It was a week later when I found out the job was being cut rather than re-filled.

paul jones
07-26-2010, 06:06 PM
good luck d !(y)

abcdefz
07-26-2010, 06:13 PM
Thanks you, Sir.

I think I crushed it, but it's hard to know. I made her laugh a few times, asked good questions, didn't stumble or ramble much, and had
already done research on the company so I knew some things.

The only part that I didn't know was that she's in Motreal. I would've factored in the time difference when she had sent an email asking
what time I wanted to do it. I picked 10 AM, because that's when people have pretty much gotten their day going, had their coffee,
and are alert. Fatigue hasn't set on, nor the post-lunch stupor...

I'm excited. I haven't even looked at other jobs today, which isn't good, but the heck with it. I feel good and hopeful for the first time
in quite a while. (y)

abcdefz
07-29-2010, 04:49 PM
YES

I have a second interview in two weeks. This one is in person at the site. (y)

MC Moot
07-29-2010, 05:03 PM
sending you the good mojo...(y)

abcdefz
07-29-2010, 05:35 PM
Thank you.

-- and some sunscreen for the homeless outreach this weekend. :D

MC Moot
07-29-2010, 05:47 PM
Thank you.

-- and some sunscreen for the homeless outreach this weekend. :D

oh...excellent...are you volunteering for a count/tally?...or just straight outreach...regardless I advise bringing cigarettes,socks,chocolate and soft granola bars...they must be soft as many you'll meet don't have much in the way of teeth left...;)

abcdefz
07-29-2010, 05:50 PM
It's basically a barbecue for whoever shows up. I guess last time it was 150. (y)

MC Moot
07-29-2010, 06:02 PM
^good on you...Heres hoping your c.v reflects your volunteer pursuits…(y)

Waus
07-30-2010, 12:12 AM
If you want some new books make a list. The local library here sells them for 50 cents on Saturdays, and I'll mail you a few if I see them. Good work getting the interview!

sjp
07-30-2010, 09:38 PM
I have had 8 interviews in 2 months and a new job pending. I wish you good luck as well.

abcdefz
08-03-2010, 03:00 PM
If you want some new books make a list. The local library here sells them for 50 cents on Saturdays, and I'll mail you a few if I see them. Good work getting the interview!

That's a kind offer, but I really am stripping things down. (y)

abcdefz
08-03-2010, 03:01 PM
I have had 8 interviews in 2 months and a new job pending. I wish you good luck as well.

Good luck!

I actually had a dream this morning that I was calling people telling them I got the job. I felt such relief that when I woke up it took me a minute to realize I'm still unemployed. :D