PDA

View Full Version : I volunteered at a homeless outreach today

abcdefz
07-31-2010, 06:47 PM
Just a barbecue for whoever showed up. Probably 150-200 people showed. I helped prepare chicken, manned the drinks table (Fuze and bottled water), then as the line got longer and the day hotter, just started taking drinks out to the people in line. Then picked up trash. I shook a lot of hands and met a lot of people. Most fun and most satisfying/rewarding day in quite a while. (y)

I'm exhausted.

JBernas
07-31-2010, 11:15 PM
Good for you....I used to volunteer for a homeless shelter in college. I would go around to the various sorority/fraternity houses and pick up left over food and deliver it to the shelter. No one should have to go hungry.

Splashleigh
08-01-2010, 09:40 AM
That's awesome! i've really wanted to get involved in a volunteer program like that. I noticed i had wanted to do it for ten years and my excuse has always been that i'm too busy with my own shit, but if we all use that no one's going to help anyone right? good work! altruism is the only true win win

abcdefz
08-01-2010, 12:11 PM
Yeah, I'd really encourage it. It's a true blessing.

jabumbo
08-01-2010, 12:26 PM
i think my last real fulfilling volunteer job was in college when we helped work on this farm that gave all of its crops to the local food bank. i remember having a great time but haven't been able to go back since. the place even fed us a lunch with some of the food that we helped pick!

i should go and do that more often

NicRN77
08-01-2010, 01:26 PM
great that you're volunteering! (y)(y)(y)I do some volunteer work through Boston Cares (so does Bob! ;) ) but I've been slacking during these summer months. I'm hoping to get back into it. It really is rewarding!

abcdefz
08-02-2010, 05:06 PM
...turns out they do this every Thursday morning as well, so I'll probably head down there Thursday. (y)