PDA

View Full Version : Stress

Yetra Flam
08-03-2010, 01:13 AM
So I have a significant issue with stress. And rather than me getting older and learning to deal with issues in a reasonable way, I just get more and more stressed.
My blood is pumping in my ears, my hands are shaking, my chest is tight, I can't breathe properly.

What am i stressed about?
Everything.

I'm stressed about my living situation, looking for an apartment. I'm stressed about my job and worried about not making enough money or running out of money at some point. I'm stressed about my friendships and relationships with people. I'm stressed about being an adult and leading an "adult" life. I'm pretty much stressed about everything.
I'm even stressed that my stress is affecting my health, and the fact that its not really practical for me to just go to a doctor and "get some pills" because I have no health insurance.

Seriously I dont know what I can do.

People saying "just chill out" has not been working.

Yeti
08-03-2010, 09:45 AM
This sounds kind of like you are having panic attacks. I had panic attacks while driving on busy highways. I thought is was a psychological but then I stated exercising 4 to 5 times a week and eating better food (and less). I dropped 30 lbs and the panic attacks disappeared.
Stress is a factor and health is a factor.
Here is my suggestion...get a good sweat going 4 times a week. The sweat will get rid of toxins and make you feel great. Drink lots of water and participate in activities that take you mind off of the stressors. Pills might work but why take a pill if these simple suggestions relieve your attacks.
I am not a doctor but I stayed at a Holiday Inn last week.

jabumbo
08-03-2010, 10:42 AM
yeti knows whats up

those holiday inn continental breakfasts cannot be beat!

Kid Presentable
08-03-2010, 06:53 PM
Yup. It sounds obvious, but exercise works wonders for your mental wellbeing.

Baseline
08-03-2010, 07:10 PM
Yep. What Yeti said.

ericlee
08-03-2010, 08:45 PM
As Yeti said, but can I suggest you buy a bike? I believe a main factor of your stress is living in the city. My stress level has been raised like 20 notches since I've lived here.

I bought my bike, found some great and safe bike routes and parks and since I have been doing that, my stress level has decreased.

Yetra Flam
08-04-2010, 01:30 AM
Damn guys, I wish I could tell you that doing that would be a good idea, but already I go to the gym up to 5 times a week, ride a bike, and generally keep very active. It works to a certain extent. (I cant even imagine the fucking nutterbutter i'd be if i didnt work out.)

But I feel like it isnt enough. Should i be drinking or something?

Bob
08-04-2010, 01:46 AM
Damn guys, I wish I could tell you that doing that would be a good idea, but already I go to the gym up to 5 times a week, ride a bike, and generally keep very active. It works to a certain extent. (I cant even imagine the fucking nutterbutter i'd be if i didnt work out.)

But I feel like it isnt enough. Should i be drinking or something?

if you aren't already, don't start. that path doesn't really go any where. it's not even a path really, it's a circular track that goes round and round and there's a guy behind you dropping caltrops everywhere so that every time you finish a lap the next one makes your feet bleed

ericlee
08-04-2010, 07:57 AM
Try getting away from the city if you have time off. Camping or hiking upstate maybe?

Yeti
08-04-2010, 10:40 AM
Some questions....
Do you drink coffee or sodas? Do you smoke? If you do, try to stop and drink lots of water.

I know that you are joking about drinking alcohol but that will only bring on more anxiety after you come off the high.

I have also heard that meditation and yoga can help with stress relief.

My workouts and healthy diet have helped my stress levels but I still get worked up from time to time. I chalk it up to life. My mortgage, my job, my 3 year old, my wife....things do not always go smoothly. I usually take my kayak out to the river, go for a swim, play some basketball or tennis or anything that will take my mind off the problems. The other thing I do to help with stress is sit quietly with a pad of paper and write down what I think will solve a particular problem. I usually find out it can be worked out or I am making a mountain out of a mole hill.

jabumbo
08-04-2010, 12:09 PM
i hear hanging out with BIONIC is a great stress reliever

Lyman Zerga
08-05-2010, 03:24 AM
i thought obama gave out health insurances for nearly free