PDA

View Full Version : Themed parties

Kid Presentable
08-05-2010, 10:06 AM
Usually I don't enjoy them because the theme or costume or whatever is just propping up a boring crowd of 30-something pill-heads, but I can't say I've never been to one. Usually costumes or whatever. Only a couple of times.

My wife turned 21 when we were doing our two year working holiday in 2003, and she never got the full 21st with her friends and family present. I'm not thinking a yardglass, full 21st omg experience kind of thing, but for her 29th next year I was thinking about doing a 21st party for her. Like, the one she never had.

Now, the obvious reason is that whole "LOL we say happy 21st and you won't feel old" thing. And I suppose that would be true for about five seconds. What I actually want to do is try to keep a consistent 2003-and-prior theme. Only music that was released before then, and that is about as far as I've gotten.

I think it's a pretty limited idea, since the only other part of the theme I came up with were banners that read shit like: 'NO WAR FOR OIL', 'IAWGM IS SHIT', 'KANYE WEST IS ONLY A PRODUCER', 'HOW WILL THE MATRIX TRILOGY END???' and 'THE ATHENS OLYMPICS ARE YET TO HAPPEN', '8 MIIIIILE' and such and such..

Yeah anyway thoughts, criticism, the usual would be most welcome. And your experiences with themed parties. Thanks.

MC Moot
08-05-2010, 11:02 AM
http://www.collegetips.com/college-parties/rubiks-cube-party.php

Kid Presentable
08-05-2010, 11:06 AM
So you wear every colour of the cube when you arrive?

cosmo105
08-05-2010, 12:16 PM
Fun theme parties I've had/attended:
-Rainbow party (for the bf's birthday this year) - everyone dresses up in a color, doesn't matter what, as long as they're monochromatic. I was all pink.
-Hobo party - by far our most successful party ever. Such a blast. Cardboard boxes everywhere that became breakdancing platforms.
-Wiiesta
-Wii sports battle (the super short shorts/long socks/protective goggles party)

Actually, that's all I can think of right now. I've seen some good ones - Karaoke dressed as your favorite singer is a fun one.

Echewta
08-05-2010, 12:18 PM
I'm having a Point Break party soon. You are all invited.

Adam
08-05-2010, 12:39 PM
House prices only go up! You should take that 2nd mortgage.

ms.peachy
08-05-2010, 01:56 PM
I think it's a pretty limited idea

I agree. I think your intent behind it is weak, but it's a bit cumbersome as a 'theme'. That said, I did a few months ago throw myself a "40 + 1" party, because I didn't get to have the big 40th party I wanted last year, because it coincided with prepping for the move to Shanghai. However, it wasn't really a 'theme' so much as an excuse to spend more money than is sensible on swanky booze in an upscale nightclub.

Documad
08-05-2010, 06:19 PM
2003 seems too recent to focus a theme party around, maybe because I'm too old. Maybe it has more significance to someone who was in college at the time. Is there something else that she was really into that could focus the theme?

I went to a fun swinging 60s party once -- and a fun disco 70s 50th birthday party. I love when other people dress up but I resent having to put together a look to wear to a party. I wind up having to buy something because I never have cool stuff just sitting around. I'm always the worst-dressed person at the party, but I still remember some of the outfits the other people wore. :o

Audio.
08-05-2010, 06:47 PM
were reality shows really popular in 2003. I mean they're still are even to this day but again I may have thought somewhere around there must have had some really good reality shows.

Also Ying Yang Twins and lil John up on 2003.

Kid Presentable
08-05-2010, 07:11 PM
I wanted to have a Grand Theft Auto themed party, but I'm the only geek I know who would try to do it justice. And even then...

ms.peachy
08-05-2010, 09:43 PM
I agree. I think your intent behind it is weak,

Oh lord, that is so not what I meant to write! I meant, "your intent behind it is sweet."

Jeez o man, I gotta stop drinking at lunchtime.

Documad
08-05-2010, 10:12 PM
Ha ha. I thought Peachy was being mean.

GTA theme would be funny if you could pull it off.

ms.peachy
08-05-2010, 10:36 PM
Ha ha. I thought Peachy was being mean.

Who, me? Never! :eek::o:(

Bob
08-06-2010, 12:03 AM
I wanted to have a Grand Theft Auto themed party, but I'm the only geek I know who would try to do it justice. And even then...

what kind of stuff would you have planned for that? i like the idea of it but i can't think of any specific things that would work

i am not thinking very hard though

Kid Presentable
08-06-2010, 12:13 AM
Well Bob, when I worked in Bottleshops (Liqour Stores in your American currency) I would often play 'GTAs Bro'.

I would take two bottlebags (they came in three sizes - the right one would be the size of one 40oz in your American currency) and put them over my hands.

You can still see the approximation of hand movements, complete with the fingerless mitten-paw that featured in the last-gen GTA games. And I'd then walk around saying stuff like "Brighty. Remember the name".

Since conversation at parties is usually quite inconsequential, I figure it would be akin to much of the incidental stuff you get from passers-by in your GTA world, thereby at least establishing a theme.

Dorothy Wood
08-06-2010, 08:02 PM
i think i liked the flaming lips a whole lot in 2003, but it was probably 2002 when i saw them in concert 3 times....

uhh, i do believe the 80's started getting popular in the early 2000s, but that's pretty confusing for the theme.

i dunno, i had a space luau for my 30th. but only me and 2 girlfriends dressed up. i guess the decorations were fun for everyone though.

maybe a "come as you were" party is in order? people can dress as they did when they were 21. seems like it might be funny.

cosmo105
08-06-2010, 08:18 PM
^YES! That rules!

Bob
08-06-2010, 08:33 PM
yeah, i think the "21st birthday" theme is easier to pull off than the "it's 2003" theme. you can play flip cup and beer pong and eyeball vodka or whatever it is the kids are doing these days

faz
08-06-2010, 11:06 PM
I always wanted to host a party in which people had to come dressed in clothes they bought in charity shops. But then I remembered I had no friends.

ms.peachy
08-07-2010, 10:52 AM
I always wanted to host a party in which people had to come dressed in clothes they bought in charity shops. But then I remembered I had no friends.

I went to a New Year's Eve party where we did that. No one was allowed to spend more than 10 quid, and you had to bring your receipt from the charity shop for admission. It was good fun, the photos are fab(y)

Kid Presentable
08-07-2010, 11:09 AM
i think i liked the flaming lips a whole lot in 2003, but it was probably 2002 when i saw them in concert 3 times....

uhh, i do believe the 80's started getting popular in the early 2000s, but that's pretty confusing for the theme.

i dunno, i had a space luau for my 30th. but only me and 2 girlfriends dressed up. i guess the decorations were fun for everyone though.

maybe a "come as you were" party is in order? people can dress as they did when they were 21. seems like it might be funny.

I like this idea, but embarrassingly I dress quite similarly to how I did then. I mean, with a 29 year-old twist, but I'm hardly a fashionable male in my 'maturity'.

TAL
08-07-2010, 07:50 PM
I might have a 1997 theme on my annual party next year. It will be the 15th year in a row that I have it, so it's sort of an occasion. Not that I did anything special the 10th year.