PDA

View Full Version : My job interview is in 80 minutes

abcdefz
08-11-2010, 01:30 PM
I've been really confident that I will crush this interview, and now the butterflies are starting.

It's the second interview for an administrative job I think I'd do really well and maybe even enjoy. Then there's a good chance of an
interview with a different company next Wednesday. And an employment agency called yesterday about two other positions. Lots of
irons in the fire!

Wish me luck.

Adam
08-11-2010, 01:42 PM
good luck.

abcdefz
08-11-2010, 01:55 PM
Thanks!

Funny enough, I just got a call about a different job and should have an interview with that company around 2:00 PM. (!)

Adam
08-11-2010, 02:05 PM
When I was looking for work last, I got a call about a job while I waited for an interview in a waiting room for another job. They all come at once like some mad bukkane job giving orgasm.

NicRN77
08-11-2010, 02:05 PM
Good luck!!

abcdefz
08-11-2010, 04:45 PM
Thanks, folks.

The interview went really well. Third interview next week.

Not sure if I have the 2 PM interview. They haven't called back.

Yeti
08-12-2010, 11:09 AM
You say it went well....please give us some details.
I have not had a job interview for years. The last interview that I had was with a supervisor that I have known for years. I walked in the room and the 3 interviewers stood.. I said hello and hugged her and gave her a kiss on the cheek. Ooops. She turned a light shade of red. It was like the Seinfeld episode when George walked over and kissed Susan when they had the NBC sitcom pitch meeting. Although, I was not having a fling with this boss.
Interviews are always so formal. You sit with everyone looking at you. I sit on the front of the chair so I will have good posture. I always try to make eye contact and smile. It is so phony. I usually slouch and curse. I wear ties when I interview and I am always clean shaven. Now, that I have the job I do not tuck in my shirt and my beard is always long and straggly. Luckily, my supervisors like my work and everything is A-OK.
Anyway, did you fixate on a wart or odd skin blemish on the interviewer. If it was a phone interview I am sure you wore slippers and a velvet smoking jacket so disregard my inquest.

abcdefz
08-12-2010, 12:56 PM
The man had a transcript of the initial half hour interview and he seemed pleased. Mostly we just talked about what the job was and an aspect which hadn't really been made clear. I fed it back to him with enthusiasm so he'd know I understood and was on board. The only real "interview" questions were why was I let go from my last job, what did I like least about my last job, what was I looking for now. He corrected a response I'd gotten from a question i'd asked during the first interview. He was very pleased with one of my answers in the original interview and we went into that a bit and my philosophy about work. Basically we were both simpatico so it wound up just talking for a while. He said the person who made the decision would interview me by phone next week and I'd know by Friday.

It was really easy but interviews usually are for me I just have to remember to make eye contact because I don't do that enough -- I feel like I'm staring.

monkey
08-12-2010, 01:04 PM
good for you dude! i hope you get the job!(y)

abcdefz
08-12-2010, 01:05 PM
I also hope he doesn't think I have a problem with authority. I realized later I said negative things about bosses at two different places. Once in passing and the other in response to "what did you like least?" The answer was that I like it when my management is honest with me; I'm a say what you mean, mean what you day kinda guy.

Though at times like that I wish I had more of a filter. :D

abcdefz
08-12-2010, 01:06 PM
good for you dude! i hope you get the job!(y)

Thanks!

I'm greedy -- I hope I get it AND like it. :p

Rock
08-12-2010, 01:49 PM
Once in passing and the other in response to "what did you like least?" The answer was that I like it when my management is honest with me; I'm a say what you mean, mean what you day kinda guy.

I interview people weekly, I wouldn't take that as a negative. Good luck.

Adam
08-12-2010, 01:52 PM
I also hope he doesn't think I have a problem with authority. I realized later I said negative things about bosses at two different places. Once in passing and the other in response to "what did you like least?" The answer was that I like it when my management is honest with me; I'm a say what you mean, mean what you day kinda guy.

Though at times like that I wish I had more of a filter. :D

This is my personal experience and I'm sure you'll get this job but; I once more or less aced rest of an interview but didn't get it because of the question something like "name a time you've overcome a work related problem and how did you do it". So I came up with when a boss took an instant dislike to me and how I patched stuff up by going extra mile blah blah blah. That came across as an authority problem.

I can be too honest to. Like, I will go with the flow and take each job as it comes and move up if I want to. I say I want to be happy out of life when they are really looking for "I want this company to be my life and its a life long dream to finally work for a box making factory".

But working for the public sector, its not as bad. They are happy to give a work life balance generally but the pay is awful. Also tory cuts will probably mean I'm unemployed soon but oh well. I have ideas :)

Dorothy Wood
08-12-2010, 02:26 PM
I've never gotten a job that had multiple interviews... Every job I've had, I've gotten a couple days after interviewing. The job I've had the past 5 years I didn't even get interviewed for, I was hired based on my resume and a 2 minute phone conversation.

Whenever I have to do multiple interviews, I lose steam and can't really hang because I'm not so good at selling myself (I have a terrible personality).

Anyway, recently I had to help with hiring a new employee to buffer the exit of my preggo coworker. We ended up picking the person who would be the best fit...she wasn't the most experienced and her interview was awkward, but her cover letter showed that she was paying attention to the ad, and I could tell by her previous jobs that she had a strong work ethic that required focus (worked 3rd shift decorating cakes at a bakery), but she was still young enough to be pliable. ha.

She was up against a dude who had a lot of experience and interviewed well. We wanted to see how they worked and their aesthetic, so we called them both back for a second "working" interview, for which they would be paid. The dude dropped out because he was seriously offended*. The girl came in and did her project, did it well, so she got the job! and it's so far, so good.

uhh, ha...I guess my point was, if your interviews are going well and it seems like you'd be a good fit at the job, I wouldn't sweat a couple "mistakes". As long as you didn't whine, I think it's okay to complain a tiny bit about a previous employer.

Hope everything turns out!

*not sure if this is legal? the guy was really mad about it.... I thought it was completely fair and a chance for people to show what they can do beyond what a resume says. :confused:

abcdefz
08-12-2010, 02:56 PM
I interview people weekly, I wouldn't take that as a negative. Good luck.

That's reassuring, sir. Thanks!

abcdefz
08-12-2010, 02:59 PM
This is my personal experience and I'm sure you'll get this job but; I once more or less aced rest of an interview but didn't get it because of the question something like "name a time you've overcome a work related problem and how did you do it". So I came up with when a boss took an instant dislike to me and how I patched stuff up by going extra mile blah blah blah. That came across as an authority problem.

I would've loved that question because it was one that I was prepared for. :D

Yeah, I don't think I'd ever say in an interview that anyone took an "instant dislike" to me. I would definitely flag that one.

abcdefz
08-12-2010, 03:07 PM
She was up against a dude who had a lot of experience and interviewed well. We wanted to see how they worked and their aesthetic, so we called them both back for a second "working" interview, for which they would be paid. The dude dropped out because he was seriously offended*. The girl came in and did her project, did it well, so she got the job! and it's so far, so good.

uhh, ha...I guess my point was, if your interviews are going well and it seems like you'd be a good fit at the job, I wouldn't sweat a couple "mistakes". As long as you didn't whine, I think it's okay to complain a tiny bit about a previous employer.

Hope everything turns out!

Thanks!

Yeah, I wouldn't be offended by a working interview at all if I was getting paid. In fact, for job #2 yesterday, I actually
suggested it.

The situation was: Call center tech support for a company that sells multi-line phone systems. Now, I've used them before and
done some minor repair as well, but this company was looking to hire IMMEDIATELY because the other person they'd hired to
cover someone's vacation hadn't shown up for two days. Nice.

So my point was, less do the interview and then show me a bit about the phone system to see if I "get it," because they clearly
needed someone to ramp up right away.

So the agency was supposed to be setting up the interview for 2 PM and would get back to me. They knew I had an 11 AM
interview and wouldn't be answering my phone, but I said just send me an email to confirm or reschedule, let me know where it
is and who to ask for.

I got out of my interview and checked. No email. I called. Neither of the women who were setting this up was available. Okay,
call me back.

By 1 PM I still hadn't heard anything, I called back. They're still unavailable and the recptionist doesn't know if it got scheduled.
I explained it was for 2 PM and said I'd call back. 1:30. Still not available. I'll call back. 1:48. Still not available. So I explained
that I'll just have to assume there's no interview, and please ask them to send me an email if they can schedule it for today.
Oh wait, they're coming out of the meeting. I'll get her for you. I'm on hold. Then my agent gets on and says oh yeah, they
decided they weren't going to hire anybody.

I thought that was kind of unprofessional to not let me know when they knew, especially since I was contacted as a spur of the
moment thing and was willing to do it.

Oh well. Hopefully I get the administration job. (y)

Dorothy Wood
08-12-2010, 03:10 PM
Yeah, I don't think I'd ever say in an interview that anyone took an "instant dislike" to me. I would definitely flag that one.

that's a good life skill. it usually takes about a year for people to stop disliking me.

abcdefz
08-12-2010, 03:29 PM
The lady who became my manager at my last job really didn't like me. It was so blatantly obvious to everyone. I literally did more
work than the other two supervisors combined and could show her those statistics and she would still ride me and not them. She
was very threatened by me because she'd make a bad decision, I'd quietly talk to her about it, then she'd hold firm until someone
above her found out and made her reverse it. I think she thought I was leaking this stuff. But she was sooooooooo bad, and I
was honestly trying to help. The entire department management finally sat with she and I as we tried to talk things out. Two
hours and she really had nothing to say and I had lots of concrete examlples.

BUT. She was one of the CEO's sister. So I was let go. Ostensibly it was about restructuring and yes that happened at the
same time -- a lot of permanent employees were fired because they prefer to use people from temp agencies -- but I'm pretty sure
it was personal. Word from one of the other supervisors came down that I "took too many liberties," i.e. made decisions without
management approval, but those decisions were part of my job and management had said they wanted us to not have to come to
us with every little thing and to use our authority as we saw fit, so obviously the "taking liberties" thing is bunk.

Anyway, weeks later her brother transferred her to his new copany he's started to run customer service there. Which is funny,
because they won't even have a product for another year or two, so right now, she IS the customer service department. :p

Man, she was just bad.

Dorothy Wood
08-12-2010, 04:19 PM
blech, I hate people like that. my boyfriend got laid off from his office job a few months ago, it was a similar scenario...I don't think anybody was related to anybody, but there was definitely a clique of incompetent, yet obedient employees who were kept on over the people that did the most/best work. He frequently had to wait hours for another person to complete what they needed to do in order for him to do his part of the job, so sometimes he would do that person's job too. but he started getting sick of that, and would just surf the internet sometimes, then get in trouble for it. even though he was done with all the work he was required to do, and had nothing else to do but another person's job (a higher paying one) because they weren't keeping up or on task. dumb.

He hated it there, and they're paying unemployment, so he's happy so far with the result. He's got a part time job on the weekends and is working on his music career :rolleyes: :p

abcdefz
08-12-2010, 04:43 PM
That sounds very familiar.

I'll give you an example.

The company was setting up a system in which the customer would type their question in on the website and the site would provide a toll free number for that specific question. Once it was up, the chat team was supposed to refer people back to the web site if they asked for a number where they could reach us. That's bad enough even if it did work, but it didn't, and this manager insisted we do it anyway. I told her that we should just keep giving the number that DID work because it's a pretty hostile gesture to not only refuse to give a number the customer could get with a three second google search, but to refuse to give it AND direct them to a section of the site that wasn't even working would be infuriating. She insisted, we complied, and within two days upper management jumped on her for angering so many customers needlessly. She was told to give out the working number until the system was up.

Once the system was up, I quietly had my team just type in the questions themselves rather than make the customer do it. Give the people what they want man!

mikizee
08-16-2010, 04:34 AM
That sounds very familiar.

I'll give you an example.

The company was setting up a system in which the customer would type their question in on the website and the site would provide a toll free number for that specific question. Once it was up, the chat team was supposed to refer people back to the web site if they asked for a number where they could reach us. That's bad enough even if it did work, but it didn't, and this manager insisted we do it anyway. I told her that we should just keep giving the number that DID work because it's a pretty hostile gesture to not only refuse to give a number the customer could get with a three second google search, but to refuse to give it AND direct them to a section of the site that wasn't even working would be infuriating. She insisted, we complied, and within two days upper management jumped on her for angering so many customers needlessly. She was told to give out the working number until the system was up.

Once the system was up, I quietly had my team just type in the questions themselves rather than make the customer do it. Give the people what they want man!

Like the old saying goes, its difficult to soar like an eagle when youre surrounded by turkeys.

Some people just don't engage their common sense part of their brain enough at their job. No thinking outside the square.

I can think of few examples of me helping a customer at work who'd have a complaint, and take steps that to me seems like common sense which would completely satisfy the customer, but have been berated because I didn't essentially stick to the script so to speak.