PDA

View Full Version : Rate SCOTT PILGRIM VS. THE WORLD

abcdefz
08-13-2010, 01:55 PM
I might see this today. The previews didn't convince me, but the reviews are pretty positive.

Helvete
08-13-2010, 02:41 PM
Probably much like 'Kick Ass', which I actually thought was a load of ass.

abcdefz
08-13-2010, 02:59 PM
Oh man, I hope not. But that's pretty much my fear as well.

Helvete
08-13-2010, 03:00 PM
Like I say, probably, I've not seen it yet. I've got an unlimited pass so I may go and see it and not worry about if it's that good or not.

abcdefz
08-13-2010, 03:11 PM
Oh dang. I thought I remembered the Tomatometer on that as being pretty poor. In fact, it's almost exactly the same as Scott Pilgrim.

I might rethink this. Though I did like Shaun of the Dead...

abcdefz
08-13-2010, 03:13 PM
What!?

AV Club gives Scott Pilgrim a C+ and Expendables a B?

:(

Caribou
08-13-2010, 03:21 PM
Wtf, the film doesn't come out here until januari. FUCKIN' JANUARY?! That's INSANE!!!
I really want to see it, because I love Edgar Wright and geeky references and fighting and all that.

How long do films usually run in the UK? Because I might be able to catch it on the 23rd or 24th next month.
I remember wanting to see Shaun Of The Dead in Rotterdam and it only ran for 3 weeks, maybe even less.

Rock
08-13-2010, 03:44 PM
I liked Kick Ass. It was waaaay better than I thought it would be. Nice over the top fight sequences, much like Shoot Em Up.

abcdefz
08-13-2010, 07:38 PM
Well, I quite liked it. It got it's first laugh from me before the opening credits even started.

7/10

kaiser soze
08-13-2010, 08:18 PM
hmmm, my girlfriend and I have been interested in this and I trust your judgment (practically being a semi-pro movie critic).

Looks like fun and I hope it delivers

abcdefz
08-14-2010, 11:52 AM
I'm familiar enough with comic books and video games to enjoy the nearly-constant references, but I could imagine someone more well-versed in those things to either be delighted or really annoyed. Fair warning. ;)

Fern
08-14-2010, 03:38 PM
shits fucking gay. they should have called it scott peterson vs the world, then maybe i'd see it

checkyourprez
08-14-2010, 05:10 PM
im a fan of mike cera but this movie looks kinda bad to me.

kickass was pretty awesome.

cosmo105
08-14-2010, 10:32 PM
I went in with mediocre expectations and was blown away by how much I enjoyed this film. Anyone that grew up playing video games will appreciate it. It's hilarious in so many ways. Michael Cera was the only casting choice that seemed at all questionable to me, but he pulls it off enough. The soundtrack is AWESOME, too. Really, really fun movie. There were just a few minutes when I thought, "Okay, this is getting dumb," but overall it was solid. Visually, really well-done too. As soon as we got in the car, my boyfriend and I both said, "I WANNA PLAY VIDEO GAMES SO BAD!" 8/10, maybe even 8.5.

abcdefz
08-14-2010, 11:08 PM
I'd encourage anyone who was turned off by the trailer to give it a shot. I like Cera too but had written this off. It really is fun.

beastieboysbaby
08-16-2010, 06:07 PM
looks lame. but i do plan to see it sometime, see if i change my mind.

cosmo105
08-16-2010, 06:16 PM
^this

should be enough proof for the doubters.

Freebasser
08-16-2010, 06:54 PM
Edgar Wright's whizzo camera pans were fun for the first 10 years, but they're beginning to wear a bit thin now.

I'd say it looks overproduced judging from waht I've seen from the trailer, but I'll give it a whirl.

cosmo105
08-16-2010, 07:53 PM
Just to be on the safe side, go into it like I did - expecting to be mildly amused. It wasn't the end-all be-all best movie ever, but definitely one of my favorites this year. Worth watching to say the least.

roosta
08-16-2010, 08:01 PM
Not very good at all. All style over substance. I'm down with the whizz bangery, but jeez, for an entire film? And what's worse is the core characters were really unlikable. Pilgrim was a dick.

Edgar Wright's whizzo camera pans were fun for the first 10 years, but they're beginning to wear a bit thin now.

I'd say it looks overproduced judging from waht I've seen from the trailer, but I'll give it a whirl.

It reminded me of "Inglorious Basterds". Director takes those elements which in isolation made previous films special and stretched them to an entire film. Too much.

BBboy20
08-17-2010, 06:44 PM
...you know, I never thought of being physically exhausted from just watching something (especially when it's epically awesome) was possible until I went to the local theater on the 13th.

And also made me feel alive at the same time too.

Mr. Boomin'Granny
08-22-2010, 10:30 PM
(y)(y)

venusvenus123
09-25-2010, 09:40 AM
Not very good at all. All style over substance. I'm down with the whizz bangery, but jeez, for an entire film? And what's worse is the core characters were really unlikable. Pilgrim was a dick.

I agreed somewhat with this. It just seemed that there were way too many fight sequences with little in between. I did enjoy it on the whole but was overwhelmed by all the gimmicks.

My son (just turned 10) love it. Yesterday he asked me if he had "scott pilgrim" hair.

Michael Cera seems a bit limited. Wasn't this character fairly similar to his Juno character?

And Cosmo didn't you love the Vegan guy? Haha, I thought of you during that scene. :D