PDA

View Full Version : what do you do with cds?

p-branez
08-23-2010, 11:39 AM
put them on your computer and on a back-up hard drive.
then what? do you cart cases around for infrequent use? save them as a present for future children and say, "look how cool i was as a kid."? donate?

Rock
08-23-2010, 11:43 AM
Put em on the 'puter. and then on the shelf.

kaiser soze
08-23-2010, 11:53 AM
i throw em at people like ninja stars

p-branez
08-23-2010, 12:44 PM
this thread was started with the same intent as this thread

http://www.beastieboys.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=95049

that i just discovered.

for me, it's the fact that in the near future i will be moving out of my parents house permanently to start a job or go back to school or move in with friends. i hate lugging all my stuff around, like every time i moved in college i simply moved and then moved back out stuff i never touched. and the last three summers i lived out of a backpack, so i realized it was fairly easy and actually fun to live with just a few changes of clothes, a couple books, my computer, and basic toiletry supplies.

TAL
08-23-2010, 12:45 PM
I listen to them.

jabumbo
08-23-2010, 12:49 PM
i was thinking about ripping them all to a hard drive at some point, but i don't that id want to take the time to do it.

Adam
08-23-2010, 01:11 PM
Rather than ripping to HDD its easier to buy a warez account (like rapidshare, hotfile etc) and download them imo.

But yeah, I never listen to mine - I get the odd new one people make for me etc or I make for them and cut myself a copy but the 15 years previous of bought CDs etc, there is only so many you can lose.

If you buy new albums etc, you could always do a "one CD in, two CDs out" rule. Its slowly reduce your collection.

NicRN77
08-23-2010, 01:43 PM
I actually do still listen to CDs in the car...I don't have an iPod doc in the car and living in the city, I HATE the thing that goes thru the radio.

I buy way more album on iTunes nowadays, but I do still buy CDs from artists I love. I really do still enjoy having a physical copy and being able to look through the liner notes and stuff.

FunkyHiFi
08-24-2010, 02:43 AM
First I rip them to the hard drive, for use with the mp3 player mainly, and for listening while putzing around the net. When I really want to listen to music, I play the CD using my Technics SL-PG4 CD player (yea that's all it does, CDs!) connected to my home component system.

Otherwise it gets put on a shelf.....because hard drives can crash, computers can get viruses and most MP3s still don't sound as good as the original .wav file when played through a decent home system. Keeping the physical copy, I know I'll always have a true backup for my favorite music (along with all the lyrics and artwork).

yeahwho
08-24-2010, 07:23 AM
I threw out everything but my talkboy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anjyiO754hU&feature=related).

jabumbo
08-24-2010, 08:57 AM
I threw out everything but my talkboy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anjyiO754hU&feature=related).

i always wanted one of those!

but i never got one....

Lyman Zerga
08-24-2010, 10:00 AM
I listen to them.

perv.

checkyourprez
08-24-2010, 10:37 AM
i let them collect dust around my house someplace, don't even really know where they are at to be honest.

i do have like 7 or 8 in my car that i listen to sometimes now that my satellite radio is gone :(.

kaiser soze
08-24-2010, 10:51 AM
First I rip them to the hard drive, for use with the mp3 player mainly, and for listening while putzing around the net. When I really want to listen to music, I play the CD using my Technics SL-PG4 CD player (yea that's all it does, CDs!) connected to my home component system.

Otherwise it gets put on a shelf.....because hard drives can crash, computers can get viruses and most MP3s still don't sound as good as the original .wav file when played through a decent home system. Keeping the physical copy, I know I'll always have a true backup for my favorite music (along with all the lyrics and artwork).

sounds about right - but I have a technics SL-PG300

I would like to purge, and I've done it many a time - but I know I'll regret it and used cd's aren't getting shit at the used music shop nowadays

I remember getting 4 to 5 a pop, i was offered nothing for a few unopened discs I found at the dollar store a couple months back.

abcdefz
08-24-2010, 02:29 PM
$4-$5 per CD would be pretty great around here.

Generally, you only get that for brand new releases of very popular items. Otherwise it's
usually about 20% of what the item would sell for brand new unless it's a really
saturated title, in which case it's 5%-10%.

FunkyHiFi
08-26-2010, 02:08 AM
sounds about right - but I have a technics SL-PG300Turns out my SL-PG4 (the model, not my specific player I bought) was the last CD player Technics sold. :( That was back in 2003. End of an era........

I would like to purge, and I've done it many a time - but I know I'll regret it and used cd's aren't getting shit at the used music shop nowadaysSame situation in my house. :(

I remember getting 4 to 5 a pop, i was offered nothing for a few unopened discs I found at the dollar store a couple months back.Same situation here too - its gotten so bad that for those CDs I know I'll never listen to again I just give them away to anyone who shows even the slightest interest in them. And a few I've actually just tossed in the trash can.......

Though if you want to recycle, buy one of these (http://www.klockit.com/products/dept-157__sku-FFFFV.html), bolt it to the CD and viola! a handsome timepiece ready for the office Xmas party gift exchange. :D

FunkyHiFi
08-26-2010, 02:12 AM
$4-$5 per CD would be pretty great around here.

Generally, you only get that for brand new releases of very popular items. Otherwise it's
usually about 20% of what the item would sell for brand new unless it's a really
saturated title, in which case it's 5%-10%.What happens when the digital file someone bought from iTunes no longer interests them? Do you think Apple will give them a fair amount if they return the file, because ya know, files don't get scratched or worn out, so I think 75% of the original price would be good....................;)

Jane*
08-26-2010, 07:19 PM
I cannot remember the last time I've purchased a CD. The old pared down collection I do have sit under my bed and collect dust + cat hair.

All music I have now is from friends torrents. Ah, la intranet.

Freebasser
08-26-2010, 07:24 PM
I look at them and try to estimate how much I've spent on a dying format, then cry myself to sleep while listening to Phil Collins.

jabumbo
08-26-2010, 08:45 PM
i do have like 7 or 8 in my car that i listen to sometimes now that my satellite radio is gone :(.

did mom stop paying your bills or what?

milleson
08-26-2010, 09:27 PM
I regularly listen to cds in my kitchen on my $30 cd player, which is on loan from my kids.

Jane*
08-27-2010, 12:53 PM
I look at them and try to estimate how much I've spent on a dying format, then cry myself to sleep while listening to Phil Collins.

In my personal hell, Phil Collins would be playing on repeat.