PDA

View Full Version : being punctual

Adam
08-26-2010, 05:05 AM
How hard is it to be punctual? To think two steps ahead and not just react to putting your left foot in front of your right foot.

I say, I'm easy and I don't mind. But I'm not easy and I do mind :mad:

But I want to be kind, and easy going so I lie.

silence7
08-26-2010, 05:42 AM
Punctuality is the thief of time.

Oscar Wilde

NicRN77
08-26-2010, 09:29 AM
I am always on time...and hate people who are always late.

ms.peachy
08-26-2010, 10:06 AM
How hard is it to be punctual?

Depends. What mood is my child in?

Adam
08-26-2010, 11:28 AM
Oh, I was just being mardy this morning.

But I'm mainly talking about those who always do it and you always fit your life round them to compensate their tardiness

jabumbo
08-26-2010, 04:53 PM
i know a few people who are always late, and it really irritates me.

its even worse when they are aware of this fact. if you know you are always late, why can't to start your routine a few minutes earlier so that you won't be?

or when you go to pick someone up and they aren't ready. 9 times out of 10 they have no real reason for not being all prepped.

Jane*
08-26-2010, 07:15 PM
I've become more punctual with age. My sister (older) though, will literally be leaving the house the moment she has to be somewhere. And she lives in SF... where it takes at minimum 45 minutes to get anywhere on time.

GO FIGS!

Adam
08-27-2010, 03:02 AM
I was actually bitching about my sister (younger).

"So this thing will take 3 hours to do, ok - see you at 9am and we'll be done by midday"

[Close to 9am - I'm there early]
"I just need to finish tidying, I'll be a little late"

"I decided to go out on a run"

"I didn't notice the time"

Me: "Oh its fine, I decided to drop all my personal business to meet at the agreed time and finish within the timescale rather than hope everyone can fit round my lifestyle. Wasting a morning and afternoon is great by me because it means I have more stuff to do tomorrow".
"are you being sarcastic"
Me: "me? never!"

:mad:

I am calmer now but it does seem to happen every time and the law of sod states that the time I decide they won't be ready, give myself 30 minutes will be the time I get there and "where the f. have you been?"

abcdefz
08-27-2010, 06:57 AM
I'm really not sure what being late means to the person who is late, but I try to be on time because I think time is valuable and people are valuable. I know that a lot of folks think "it's only an hour" but I think a lost hour is kind of a waste. So it's kind of irritating if it's avoidable.

When it's a professional issue, it's almost inexcusable. There's a person I've had several appointments with recently where she's made an appointment then rescheduled on the fly -- I think it's three of the last four times. The delay has been anywhere from three hours to two days. I think that's flakey.

abbott
08-30-2010, 05:15 PM
i play by the 15 min rule. Once your 15 minutes late, I am gone. I walk out of the dentist office if I am waiting longer than 15. Unless I am there with a craked tooth looking for a favor.

I have been late before, but I call and give a heads up or expect the 15 min. rule back at me.

Echewta
08-30-2010, 08:14 PM
I agree with the 15 minute rule.

At a doctors office, I'll go up and ask to reschedule and suggest they contact me before to let me know the doctor is running late.

Then i take one of their magazines and walk out.

ms.peachy
08-30-2010, 11:36 PM
Oh, I was just being mardy this morning.

I love this word, btw.

NicRN77
08-31-2010, 12:01 AM
I agree with the 15 minute rule.

At a doctors office, I'll go up and ask to reschedule and suggest they contact me before to let me know the doctor is running late.

Then i take one of their magazines and walk out.

Working in healthcare, I totally understand WHY doctors run late. I understand and share your frustration...but then I just think about maybe there was a patient before me who needed to discuss something with the doctor, or maybe there was an emergency. Also, there are not enough doctors for too many patients. That's why it's great PA's and NP's can do pretty much what doctors do.

On that note, I always try to schedule my doctor and dentist appointments for early AM to avoid all of this!!

Dorothy Wood
08-31-2010, 04:05 AM
i generally try to be exactly on time. it's a fun challenge to guess how long it'll take to get somewhere, and pretty fun when you're right.

i never like to be too early, i think it makes people uncomfortable.

if i'm going to be more than 5 minutes late, i notify whoever i'm meeting, or a coworker if i can forsee that i'll be late for work.

if i know it doesn't matter what time i get somewhere or to some thing,
i usually show up late

Bob
08-31-2010, 04:32 AM
i remember one time i had an appointment with a high school guidance counselor (i was in high school at the time so it was ok) that was running really late and eventually she came out and said "sorry we're going to have to reschedule"

i'm pretty sure what happened is that a girl got pregnant and she had to deal with that instead because i remember a pretty miserable looking girl sitting in the waiting room at the same time and i find out on facebook some time ago that she has a kid. it was weird because we were all pretty sure she was a lesbian but that was high school so everyone was calling everyone gay so who knows

anyway the point is i got over it

Adam
08-31-2010, 04:34 AM
edit: turned out cruel when should of been a joke.

Bob
08-31-2010, 04:36 AM
was it about people calling me gay in high school? because i am NOT over that

Adam
08-31-2010, 04:42 AM
no, it was in reference to missing that career appointment because ever since then you've been on an upward motion.

But it sounded cruel and you can't delete so I edited it.

And we've all been gay in highschool - it's what it was for, right.

Bob
08-31-2010, 04:43 AM
oh. i think the appointment had something to do with colleges or something i don't remember. but i went to college so it all turned out fine

now if the counselor had said "whatever you do, don't go to law school" then i would have missed out on some valuable advice

Adam
08-31-2010, 04:45 AM
he/she could of.

He/She could of nudge you the way of that ballet dancer you always wanted to be.

Bob
08-31-2010, 04:46 AM
i could have been a guidance counselor, keeping kids from going to law school

wasted potential

TurdBerglar
08-31-2010, 05:13 AM
in my HS the kids didn't say gay they said geeeeeee

where did you go to HS bob? i don't think you grew up that far from me.