PDA

View Full Version : My friend just shipped out to Afghan

Lex Diamonds
09-01-2010, 08:33 PM
Crazy motherfucker. He's in the paras, he's probably one of the most dangerous people I know but shit, I'm gonna miss him if he doesn't come back.

Jane*
09-01-2010, 08:34 PM
:(

Helvete
09-01-2010, 08:41 PM
Which battalion?

Lex Diamonds
09-01-2010, 08:49 PM
No idea to be honest. He's an Arab so he'll be translating for whatever squadron he's in. He's also extremely good at martial arts and shooting, which is bad news for anyone that crosses him.

You know many out there?

ericlee
09-01-2010, 09:02 PM
If he's "crazy" as you say, he'll be alright. That's the only mentality that can make it out there.

What was his mind set when you talked to him before going there? Was it pretty much, "I'm off to kill some dune coons", or "I gotta do what I enlisted for."

Lex Diamonds
09-01-2010, 09:04 PM
"Dune coons"? You never cease to amaze me. It's like that time you told everyone you knew a black guy who played the piano so you named him "Niggerace". You're a real smart one.

I honestly just think it's a career choice for him. He didn't complete education so that route wasn't an option, but he's not a stupid guy. He just likes to fight, so I guess it's the perfect place for him.

ericlee
09-01-2010, 09:19 PM
"Dune coons"? You never cease to amaze me. It's like that time you told everyone you knew a black guy who played the piano so you named him "Niggerace". You're a real smart one.

I honestly just think it's a career choice for him. He didn't complete education so that route wasn't an option, but he's not a stupid guy. He just likes to fight, so I guess it's the perfect place for him.

He's off to the desert, bro. He's going to combat with other people in the desert. I'm not the first one to drop dune coon. It's just like if you were a soldier in the 60's and heard the term gook. No matter your enemy, there's a long list of nicknames prepared for you.

Niggerace was created by my drill instructor and the soldier it was aimed at laughed his whole heart out everytime it was said towards him.

One thing you won't understand is everything has a nickname in the military.

And good on his part because the "Crazy" people I have seen go through the mideast just to kill "dune coons" were the worst fucking people I have ever had to deal with. All tough talk but once in the shit, they puke, cry for mommies- etc. The people who are crazy and want to make a career out of it are the people I want to roll with.

ericlee
09-01-2010, 09:33 PM
they see me trollin'

Lex Diamonds
09-01-2010, 09:54 PM
Yeah, sorry but I don't think he'd want to "roll with" you.

Helvete
09-01-2010, 10:10 PM
No idea to be honest. He's an Arab so he'll be translating for whatever squadron he's in. He's also extremely good at martial arts and shooting, which is bad news for anyone that crosses him.

You know many out there?

I know a couple of 2 Para guys who were on the same Int course as me, I wouldn't know your friend personally. Does he speak Pashtu or Farsi? Are you sure he is an Arab because Arabic is not used in Afghanistan.

Lex Diamonds
09-01-2010, 10:29 PM
In that case I don't know, I kind of assumed he would be able to speak one of the languages but he never said that himself. He was born in Dubai if that helps?

ericlee
09-01-2010, 11:01 PM
regardless, paddy, your friend is a talk talk.

Once he gets strapped in, he's all piss pants. I know from experience and he is wasting my time.

Lex Diamonds
09-02-2010, 10:10 AM
Nah, you know pretty much nothing about the world. But you're pretty deluded so I guess if you're happy, that's cool.

ericlee
09-02-2010, 11:05 AM
Pretty deluded with alcohol at the time but fuck it.

What's brown and rhymes with Snoop?

Dr. Dre.

TurdBerglar
09-02-2010, 02:08 PM
a friend of mine has come back from basic training from the airforce. he's stationed at a nearby air base.

i don't like him now. he's turned into a sheep. it's like he prefers to be told what to do. i don't get it.

he's got this certain sense to him now. i can't really explain it. it's very subtle put it has taken over him.

he came by with his uniform on. i asked him to put his hat on. and he was all like... no! i can't! i'm indoors! so fucking what dude. i just thought it would be kinda cool to see you in full uniform.

it's just a bunch of little shit like that and it irretates me.

atleast he's happy.

ericlee
09-02-2010, 04:23 PM
Don't give up on your friend yet. It's pretty common to act like that fresh out of basic. Air force isn't as hard as the army but in the army, if you're inside with your hat on and seen by a drill sergeant, you'll end up doing pushups for a half hour.

He's just used to having people bark orders at him right now and it takes a few weeks of regular living to shake off. It's common for people to keep that mentality even after a few years.

Helvete
09-02-2010, 07:11 PM
Every day I fight the system and remind everyone that I don't like being told what to do.

Echewta
09-02-2010, 07:21 PM
I've played a lot of castle wolfenstein and halo and it sounds like your friend will do just fine.

A. Chimendez
09-03-2010, 09:45 AM
This thread sucks.

easy 3
09-03-2010, 10:43 AM
I've been working for the UK's largest veterans charity for the last few years, and grew up in a garrison town so have always been surrounded by military types. I don't have any particular attachment to helping the armed-forces community or anything, and I'm basically a very anti-war, pro-diplomacy, peace and love sort of chap that is keen to get involved in charity work. Ultimately the work we do is social welfare work, so it's a good place to gain experience, especially whilst we are involved in a war and the work is relevant and genuinely benificial. The military attracts all sorts of different mentalities and I've met some fantastic, forward-thinking, intelligent, pleasant people, but like anything else there's always some knob-heads involved and allsorts of dodgy misconceptions about warfare and defence on both sides of the argument.

I sincerely hope that your friend can do some good in what all-to-often seems like a dubious, difficult campaign. I also hope that it can somehow have a positive effect on his life, and that he can eventually go home to his loved ones safe and unharmed.

Lex Diamonds
09-03-2010, 09:33 PM
There aint billions of pounds' worth of raw opium in London..

Lex Diamonds
02-22-2011, 02:14 AM
Here (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12504162)'s a story about him on the BBC News website.

Here (http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/12523595)'s a substory on him with some pictures and shit. Looks like he's got a lot of responsibillity for a Private.

Helvete
02-22-2011, 07:45 AM
I heard him on the radio, sounds like a decent guy.

But you are right, he probably has been given a lot more responsibility than any other Private. Maybe unfairly so, he shouldn't be treated differently to any other soldier, but due to him being Middle Eastern and a Muslim, the officers are obviously going to want him as the face of their patrol. He seems to be handling it well though and I wish him luck and a safe return home.

Planetary
02-22-2011, 07:56 AM
An interesting read. apparantly the parachute regiment is a tough one to get in to. i don't really know.

either way he seems like a respectable chap. his boots have vibram souls, too.

Helvete
02-22-2011, 11:57 AM
The Paras are THE infantry unit in the British Army. No other infantry has to do what they do so anything less is just weak(er). Only the Royal Marines can claim to be as good, but then they're not the Army.

brad f'in keith
02-23-2011, 04:24 PM
our close family friend just graduated from a school in santa barbra he spent 12 months learning farsee he speaks it to prisioners at guantanamo bay he is the owner of a company named triple x along with my dad and grnad pa there the other two x's i am signing up for ten years in the marines tomarrow i am enrolled in rotc and plan on going to recon. wish me luck

Planetary
02-23-2011, 06:21 PM
The Paras are THE infantry unit in the British Army. No other infantry has to do what they do so anything less is just weak(er). Only the Royal Marines can claim to be as good, but then they're not the Army.

I spose you're intentionally discounting the SAS. thats a whole different level of leetness. My uncles wifes (dog's sister's owner's second cousin's long lost) brother was in the SAS, they had to blindfold her when she wanted to visit.

a friend of mine just got back from his 3rd afghan tour. he's in the marines, and he's mental. which i guess goes hand in hand.

Helvete
02-24-2011, 01:36 AM
Of course, although the SAS aren't technically 'infantry', I'm not sure of the actual figures, but around 3/4 of all SAS nowadays comes from the Parachute Regiment.

Lex Diamonds
02-24-2011, 01:46 AM
Of course, although the SAS aren't technically 'infantry', I'm not sure of the actual figures, but around 3/4 of all SAS nowadays comes from the Parachute Regiment.
I remember reading somewhere it was even more than that. I could definitely see this guy ending up there, anyway.

Planetary
02-24-2011, 11:36 AM
im pretty sure they're mostly scottish too.

Lex Diamonds
02-25-2011, 01:03 AM
Are you basing this on the Call of Duty games?

ericlee
02-25-2011, 04:21 PM
sorry for all of my retarded banter in this thread, it's what happens when I take my seroquel and mix a few beers and get online. I don't even know what I wrote but I'm sure it's some stupid junk.

Anyhow, I wish your friend the best of luck. A coworker of mine who's a marine reservist and he's actually from Russia is getting shipped out next month and he ain't even looking forward to it at all. He's done 4 tours in Iraq and one in Afghan already and to top things off, he's with motor transport which means he spends most of his time on the road.

He is however, looking forward to his paycheck. He banks easily 100K after every tour. Hopefully your friend will receive a decent check for his hard work and dedication.(y)

Helvete
02-25-2011, 05:53 PM
Do we fuck! Although I understand the tours you guys do can be a lot longer, after 6 months we can get maybe 15k (pounds) in the bank. This is not even extra to our wage, it's just through not spending much for the duration of the tour, the extra daily rate we get and a 5k bonus at the end.

ericlee
02-25-2011, 08:38 PM
Do we fuck! Although I understand the tours you guys do can be a lot longer, after 6 months we can get maybe 15k (pounds) in the bank. This is not even extra to our wage, it's just through not spending much for the duration of the tour, the extra daily rate we get and a 5k bonus at the end.

He's an E-6, been in the corps for quite some time. If you want to make staff sgt, you really have to show you mean it and he fits the criteria very well.

Along with that rank comes the better pay. Hazard pay being over there.. etc.

Helvete
02-26-2011, 03:14 AM
Of course at higher ranks we also get paid more, a higher daily rate on operations but the bonus at the end is still the same. We don't get hazard pay or anything like that, regardless if you are EOD, Infantry or a REMF desk pilot.

The only way you can make serious money in the British Army on operations is becoming Special Forces or a high level linguist and that's about it really.

The benefits we get are nothing compared to that of the US military.

Planetary
02-26-2011, 04:53 AM
Are you basing this on the Call of Duty games?

lol, no im actually serious. I read it in an interview with an ex-SAS staff sgt.

maybe he was lying though.

Helvete
02-26-2011, 05:27 AM
There a a huge number of Scottish people in the Army, a great deal of those are in infantry units. And they're all mental.

Planetary
02-26-2011, 06:20 AM
Eddie Stone puts it down to them being "hard bastards".

he's probably right. they had to grow up in scotland. thats like 18+ years of selection, but harder.

ericlee
02-26-2011, 06:56 AM
Of course at higher ranks we also get paid more, a higher daily rate on operations but the bonus at the end is still the same. We don't get hazard pay or anything like that, regardless if you are EOD, Infantry or a REMF desk pilot.

The only way you can make serious money in the British Army on operations is becoming Special Forces or a high level linguist and that's about it really.

The benefits we get are nothing compared to that of the US military.

Durr, I forgot who I was talking to. You already know this stuff.

Holy crap that sucks for you guys. I was thinking your benefits would be equal to ours.