PDA

View Full Version : Bob's not the only law talking guy around here

mikizee
09-28-2010, 08:16 PM
I've just been appointed a Justice of the Peace.

I was talking with a workmate who needed to find a JP about 6 months ago, and I asked 'how the hell do you become a JP?' He didn't know so I googled it, and turns out I was eligible to apply so I did just for the fuck of it.

After completing the huge application, going through police clearance, getting references etc, I waited 4 months then finally got approved. YAY! The best bit is that I get a stamp with my signature on it! A STAMP!! And business cards too. And a post nominal title after my name. (JP obviously). In other states you can even get JP cufflinks. Not here unfortunately.

All of this doesnt really mean much, you don't get paid for it, and unlike the US a JP can't do weddings n stuff, only witness documents, approve warrants and take affadavits etc. But, if I apply to do another 1 year course I can become a Special Justice, where I would sit as a judge in court hearing petty offences. A Judge!!! I would do that whole course just so in court I could slam my gavel down and yell "Order!! I'll allow it, but I'd be careful in future, counsel".

That would be awesome.

Turchinator
09-28-2010, 08:27 PM
Objection!

checkyourprez
09-28-2010, 08:29 PM
the real question here is, what do you know about birdlaw?

Turchinator
09-28-2010, 08:41 PM
"Order!! I'll allow it, but I'd be careful in future, counsel".

lol, "Judge Who Allows Everything..."

Bob
09-28-2010, 11:09 PM
one of my life goals is to say "...i'll allow it..." and have it be authoritative

Drederick Tatum
09-29-2010, 03:00 AM
^I have a similar thing. "Make it so!.."

Bob
09-29-2010, 04:21 AM
^I have a similar thing. "Make it so!.."

that one could be tricky. you might be able to pull it off in a taxi or something but i'm not sure if the cabbie would fully appreciate it

mikizee
09-29-2010, 06:10 AM
Next time the subway girl asks me if I want bacon or extra cheese on my sub that will be my answer.

Kid Presentable
09-29-2010, 07:22 AM
The JP thing sounds interesting. Don't really know what else to say.

mikizee
09-29-2010, 05:39 PM
I'll allow it, but I'd have something else to say in future, counsel