PDA

View Full Version : sleeping pills

monkey
10-06-2010, 07:56 PM
i wish sleeping pills would not make you groggy in the morning, that taking them meant immediately sleeping and having happy dreams and all of that.

i dont like taking sleeping pills. but it's been weeks since ive slept thru the night. it's been weeks since i slept more than 5 or 6 hrs (im a stickler for my 8, dont be mean) and it's been weeks since i havent had shoulder/neck pain. i just dont want to take pills, i dont want to be given meds to treat something that's obviously a side effect of something else thats fucked up in my life. i dont want to become addicted to outside help for a basic necessity.

this is my sleeping pills rant of the night. i bid you all adieu.

NicRN77
10-06-2010, 08:12 PM
have you tried melatonin? I sometimes have a hard time sleeping because I work the night shift. it doesn't leave me feeling all groggy when I wake up.

Adam
10-06-2010, 11:43 PM
I think 7 hours is supposed to be the magic number and at least one of them before midnight.

Anyway, I feel for ya - I hate not being able to sleep but it happens very rarely for me. Reason I'm kinda replying is that this week I've slept soooo much. Like getting 9 hours sleep. I'm also drinking and eating more partly because I'm super stressed in my personal life atm and I'm kinda hiding from myself my eating and drinking until I pass out (y) Like a forced narcolepsy.

Its not healthy but maybe try that?

Bob
10-07-2010, 12:02 AM
drinking yourself to sleep is no way to go because eventually you get to a point where you'd rather keep drinking than go to sleep and then you wake up with 4-5 hours of sleep and a really nasty hangover

or at least that's what happens to me

Adam
10-07-2010, 02:12 AM
I'm all about the short term solutions

checkyourprez
10-07-2010, 07:26 AM
get some Yogi Bedtime tea (http://www.yogiproducts.com/products/details/bedtime-tea/).

works fantastic.

Dorothy Wood
10-07-2010, 11:46 AM
Benadryl knocks me out usually. I have allergies though, so that's why I take it. rarely though. and I work 11-7, so I usually sleep 1:30a.m.-9:30a.m., but lately I've been trying to do 12:30-8:30...but I'll end up still sleeping til 9 or 9:30.

I'll get there though, I find it pleasant to be able to drink a cup of coffee at home and leisurely eat breakfast while watching terrible morning t.v.

uhh, hope that helps! ha.

oh yeah, and I know people who swear by acupuncture for pain. (y) I don't do acupuncture, but I have a thumping massager that is definitely helpful. Something like this is the jam to get out kinks: http://www.overstock.com/Health-Beauty/Homedics-PA-1HWA-Therapist-Select-Percussion-Massager-with-Heat-and-2-Attachments/4393084/product.html?cid=123620&fp=F&mr:trackingCode=30F29A35-52C1-DF11-98FF-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA

Echewta
10-07-2010, 11:52 AM
Celebrate thanksgiving every night and have a recording of the Cowboys/Redskins game to watch. You'll be a sleep in no time.

monkey
10-07-2010, 12:16 PM
aww thanks everyone for your advice. im gonna have to try melatonin, as the damn pills still didnt do much for me. took me a while to fall asleep and still woke up a bunch of times and tossed and turned. this shit is strange. plus, im starting to feel anxious and im way more assholey than usual when i don't sleep properly. i don't want to become the subject of a kanye song, this is why i need to regulate the sleep!

im a morning person, and i like being awake before 8am if i can help it. but when i can't fall asleep till 2 or 3, i would LOVE to be able to sleep longer. I can't though, i have to wake up at 7 for work, and this schedule is taking a big toll on me. I'm exhausted.

as for the tea, im a sleepytime extra (http://www.celestialseasonings.com/products/detail.html/wellness-teas/sleepytime-extra) fan, though i havent gotten any since the winter. im gonna try melatonin. and maybe that football game echewta mentioned. i'd eat and drink my heart out, but drinking makes me sick and not sleep. i'm a weird one...

M|X|Y
10-07-2010, 12:37 PM
if you've recently given up any 'habits', it could just be that... takes a while to re-adjust the body chemistry

checkyourprez
10-07-2010, 02:23 PM
as for the tea, im a sleepytime extra (http://www.celestialseasonings.com/products/detail.html/wellness-teas/sleepytime-extra) fan, though i havent gotten any since the winter.

i did the rounds of the sleepy teas when i first was looking for a steady one. i tried the celstials, it was ok, but the yogi is really cream of the crop.

Adam
10-07-2010, 03:14 PM
Do you sleep in the same room as any electrical items? I'm sure when I had a tv and laptop in my room, even when off the messed with my chi-sleep or something.

Nothing but my phone and fleshlight follows me to my bedroom now

NicRN77
10-07-2010, 05:51 PM
Do you sleep in the same room as any electrical items? I'm sure when I had a tv and laptop in my room, even when off the messed with my chi-sleep or something.

Nothing but my phone and fleshlight follows me to my bedroom now

ya, I don't like a TV in the bedroom either. not even my phone goes with me. just the alarm clock and my white noise machine!

Adam
10-08-2010, 01:31 AM
My phone is my alarm + plus there is no other clock in my room so I need to know the time generally when I wake up. I don't think I could sleep without my phone anyway. I'd always be thinking "can i hear it in here, what if someone is trying to reach me if something horrible has happened, what if someone send a life changing tweet, what if my dealer calls, what if some lonely horny girl on facebook has messaged me and needs my assistance"

White noise machine - do they work? do you live somewhere noisy? Or are you really sensitive to noise while sleeping. I know someone who has trouble sleeping because of the noise thats all but always thought they'd be a bit of a gimmick.

NicRN77
10-08-2010, 06:38 AM
this white noise machine (http://www.sleepwellbaby.com/SleepMate-980A-White-Noise-Machine-p/sm-980.htm) is what I use. You may have seen them outside of doctor's offices and stuff. I bought one a few years ago because the walls at my apartment are kinda thin....AND I sleep during the day a bit since I work nights. I have also used a fan for 15 years now off and on thanks to a bout of insomnia I had in college...