PDA

View Full Version : Roots manuva

brothermarco
10-31-2010, 09:53 AM
Bonjour, did you check the new album of Roots manuva with wrongTom.
its called Duppy writer and my favorite is butterfly crab walk ft Riddla.

brothermarco
11-03-2010, 06:14 AM
Bonjour, did you check the new album of Roots manuva with wrongTom.
its called Duppy writer and my favorite is butterfly crab walk ft Riddla.
Does anyone know Roots manuva?

Lyman Zerga
11-03-2010, 07:41 AM
i do, didnt hear the newer stuff though

dave790
11-03-2010, 02:15 PM
taskforce own manuva!

Guy Incognito
11-03-2010, 03:07 PM
Does anyone know Roots manuva?

yes but not personally

i had his first album with this on thats still sounds brilliant

Witness (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbuSdXKtJX4)

and he's on this that i really like

true skool - coldcut (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_R63UMQN08)

brothermarco
11-05-2010, 07:12 AM
taskforce own manuva!

Nobody owns Root manuva.

brothermarco
01-24-2011, 02:07 PM
taskforce own manuva!

Roots manuva is part of the banana Klan.

brothermarco
01-24-2011, 02:11 PM
Roots manuva is part of the banana Klan.

http://soundcloud.com/banana-klan/mutation001-klan-activation-further-a-do-jan-2011
sample from the klan de la banane!!!

brothermarco
05-09-2011, 02:12 PM
Has anybody checked Roots Manuva LP Duppy writer yet ?

ericg
05-10-2011, 09:57 AM
dig this next one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_VFU4dKsr8
oops wrong thread. my bad.

Ally Al
05-10-2011, 03:58 PM
yes but not personally

i had his first album with this on thats still sounds brilliant

Witness (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbuSdXKtJX4)

and he's on this that i really like

true skool - coldcut (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_R63UMQN08)

not wanting to sound like a twat but witness was on his second album "run come save me", his first album was "brand new second hand"

just saying.....

Guy Incognito
05-10-2011, 04:37 PM
fair do's, first track i heard him on. you'd know better than me bruv

Ally Al
05-11-2011, 01:16 AM
fair do's, first track i heard him on. you'd know better than me bruv

cool cool, wasnt trying to be an arsehole (y)

Guy Incognito
05-11-2011, 09:28 AM
cool cool, wasnt trying to be an arsehole (y)

is that first album any good?

Ally Al
05-11-2011, 04:09 PM
is that first album any good?

hmmm hit and miss really imho, witness is by far the best tune he's ever made. I like RM but he's never managed to hold my attention for a full album

Guy Incognito
05-12-2011, 12:43 AM
yeah i always thought he had a good voice and some good lyrics but the tunes didnt really do it for me

surprised he never massively sold out and started rapping over cheesy dance like so many other british rappers. he's done collabs but i dont think he's done anything as shameful as dizzee or example

Ally Al
05-12-2011, 10:03 AM
yeah i always thought he had a good voice and some good lyrics but the tunes didnt really do it for me

surprised he never massively sold out and started rapping over cheesy dance like so many other british rappers. he's done collabs but i dont think he's done anything as shameful as dizzee or example

true no cheese in his catalogue, but im sure a crossover hit wouldnt have done the bank balance any harm

the older i get more i struggle with if i was a musician/ artist what would i prefer to be, respected starving artist or massively rich pop star low on cred but probably having a right laugh :D

Guy Incognito
05-12-2011, 11:55 AM
true no cheese in his catalogue, but im sure a crossover hit wouldnt have done the bank balance any harm

the older i get more i struggle with if i was a musician/ artist what would i prefer to be, respected starving artist or massively rich pop star low on cred but probably having a right laugh :D

i dont know, i mean example is just the worst, erm, example of when it goes horribly wrong. I mean he had cheeky lyrics and nice ideas and all he needed was a hook or the right sample and i think it would have happened and there would have been no need for the love kick to start again.

I think its possible, i mean , my dream would be to finally produce something of note with all my dabbling in music. It wouldnt have to be a classic album, just a well produced small hit would do me. My ultimate dream would be to produce a one hit wonder as remarkable as Pump Up the volume but i think that ship has sailed.

sorry for rambling

Lex Diamonds
05-13-2011, 12:28 AM
I still respect Dizzee, despite what he's done, because he did it in the realest way. He's sold out but that's because of where he came from, not having shit and recognising that there's no real money in UK hip-hop/grime, hence the crossovers. Even though he compromised musically he's still managed to keep his character in his content and to be honest hasn't really watered down what he's talking about too much (apart from bullshit like Bonkers & Holiday). Dance Wiv Me is a genuinely good track, I reckon. Can't beat a bit of Calvin Harris. Getting a number 1 smash hit on an independent label like that is the savvy move of a gifted businessman. He knows he's sold out and he freely admits it, I've seen him just shrug and grin it off in many an interview. At least he's using his fame to give Newham Generals some shine, which is more than most urban-musicians-turned-pop-stars do.

Example and Pro Green on the other hand, genuinely disgust me. I've been fans of them since around '05 and at one point I respected them both as some of the best out. Example is (was) one of the most original rappers I've ever heard, he managed to do real hip-hop with tingly soul samples but kept the content strictly down to Earth, Souf London. I put all my mates onto him and they all loved it cuz he was talking about our lives, in our accents, using slang we could relate to.

Pro was also one of the best battle rappers out, repping London and making shit unusually close to US hip-hop while still keeping a potent UK flavour. He referenced Biggie, Eazy, Dead Prez and them without making it obvious and had the sickest flow around. I saw him at Jump Off and at one point thought he was the best freestyler I'd ever seen.

Now look at them both. They've got money but everyone in rap hates them. They're pumping out bullshit and clearly being led by cynical execs who think they're going to be "the white Dizzee". It's purely sickening. I wish Mike Skinner hadn't been such a mess and fucked up The Beats, that label would have done big things. Much respect to the Mitchell Brothers, Bruza and them for staying real.

About a year ago, I had a small argument with Pro Green on Twitter about how he wasn't making hip-hop anymore. He claimed he was. I asked him to go back and listen to Lecture #1 then compare it to his new album... he had been getting quite heated with me, defending his new shit, but after I said that he didn't reply back. I think these people cope by genuinely convincing themselves that they're staying true to their music. It's almost tragic.

ps
I'm a big RM fan, but haven't had a chance to check this yet. I agree that he's not had a proper solid album yet, so I'm not expecting much from this.

pps
If Guy was rambling, I just gave a seminar.

Guy Incognito
05-13-2011, 12:36 AM
nice post mate.

i agreed with most of it and i do get what you say about dizzee but i just feel he could have got away with doing the odd dance with me track as opposed to virtually every track. i think he has got the personality and talent to mix it up enough to be popular and a bit more credible.

Lex Diamonds
05-13-2011, 05:35 AM
But that's kind of what he's done. Obviously he's going to be hated by the grime scene because they're hardcore but there's a lot of people who were feeling his hip-hop shit that are still checking for him now. He needs to drop another album like Maths + English, that one walked the line perfectly and had some real bangers on. Where's Da G's is a classic song- one of Pimp C's last appearances too!

Guy Incognito
05-13-2011, 07:13 AM
well thats where we'll have to agree to disagree. I listened to hardback:industry the other day and he seems to have ignored a lot of his own advice about keeping integrity

brothermarco
07-06-2011, 04:07 PM
New track'' watch me dance" out now. Album on the 26 september 2011. Can't wait.