PDA

View Full Version : Music as therapy?

silence7
11-05-2010, 12:13 AM
Do you ever use music as therapy? I mean is there certain music you USE when you're in certain moods?

Me......... Headphones on, (ear buds don't cut it, has to be big boy headphones) Volume to 12 no matter the musical genre. Eyes closed, on the couch/bed/floor, just absorbing the music and feeling every beat, every guitar lick, every bass thump, every word of every lyric....

Pissed off :mad:
Slayer
The Exploited
Black Flag
Agnostic Front
Cro-Mags
Possessed
Onslaught
Samhain
Etc....

Sad/Lonely/depressed :(
Hank Williams Sr.
Roy Orbison
The Cure
Etc...

Happy :)
Beastie Boys (duh)
The Cure
Bauhaus/Peter Murphy/Dali's Car/Love And Rockets/Tones on Tail Etc etc......
Skinny Puppy
Dead Kenedys
RUN DMC
The Misfits
Oingo Boingo
Rev. Horton Heat
Stray Cats
Etc....

These can all be interchanged, I can listen to all of them when I'm happy also, which intrigues me, I like all of it when I'm happy, just certain genres "feel" appropriate when I'm in certain moods.

What do you listen to when you're Pissed off, Sad/lonely/depressed or Happy????

Just wondering, because I've been using music as a crutch for years, how do you use it??

Baseline
11-08-2010, 12:49 PM
I'm feelin you man, altho' in my case headphones don't work, it has to be "are you nuts?" loud and I like to immerse my head into loudspeakers. Usually I play RATM, Slipknot ... things like that, release the stress, and feel much better afterwards.

Dorothy Wood
11-09-2010, 09:41 AM
I used to listen to tori amos a lot when i was feeling mopey.
i like to listen to NIN, the downward spiral album, when I'm stressed. there's something awesome about hearing "GOD IS DEAD!" when you're running late for a flight and dodging families and baby strollers. beyond getting pumped up by the beat, you can't help but laugh that no one can hear what you're listening to.

(suppose it's funny for me because you wouldn't guess right off by my appearance that i'd be a NIN fan)

yeahwho
11-09-2010, 11:52 AM
Music is the universal language, hence the cramps (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwIQlJsD_Lg&feature=related) helping out around the Napa Mental Hospital circa 1978.

Guy Incognito
11-09-2010, 12:48 PM
when i was going thru a hectic time with my daughter being born and my dad dying in hospital and travelling to and from my house and hospital, i text the radio station to play me something to keep me going and they played this and its took on new meaning. Sometimes i still get a bit teary when i hear it but i always seem to take inspiration from it as well.

F.E.A.R - Ian Brown (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVFQ-5V1978)

rirv
11-09-2010, 03:33 PM
I prefer drinking.

yeahwho
11-11-2010, 09:11 AM
Otis Redding is my therapeutic musician of choice. Youtube came along 40 years after his death and pretty much cements everything I have heard, he was the man to see perform live. His voice, that band and the first class repertoire of songs fucking floors me, nobody has had that combination live as strong as him, Prince (who I've seen live three times) comes close, but I would leave a front row seat for a back aisle seat to see Otis.

Otis is the Man. He only lived to 26, Pain in my Heart/Can't Turn You Loose (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdyecbJMLZ0&feature=related)

nodanaonlyzuul
11-11-2010, 05:02 PM
I was just thinking about this earlier today. Some of the music I mix with seemingly unrelated moods but it works for me (keep in mind I pick particular songs from their catalog for the moods).

Feeling down OR relaxing
Yann Tiersen
Beirut
Sufjan Stevens
Massive Attack
classic R&B and Soul (I listen to it with a bottle of red wine)

Working out/motivation
Daft Punk
The Rapture
Basement Jaxx
Felix Da Housecat
Peaches
electro in general

Pissed off
certain songs from:
Salt N Pepa
Fiona Apple
and really any hip hop I like that sounds angry :p

Good mood
Avenue D
Spank Rock
Thunderheist
Cut Copy
Funk music
Hip hop

kaiser soze
11-12-2010, 07:52 AM
The Fleetfoxes are great healing music, them and a ride through the mountains (y)

and Tool always hits the spot when I want to smash shit

rirv
11-13-2010, 02:41 PM
I like nothing more at the moment than getting fairly well steamed and listening to Paul McCartney, ELO, Fleetwood Mac and The Band. Something to do with feeling out of place and trying to combat the fear. Visions of a time long gone and unobtainable. The horror... the horror.

silence7
11-23-2010, 11:54 PM
Feeling down OR relaxing
Yann Tiersen

Haha, Being a big fan of Jean Pierre Jeunet, Yann Tiresen's Amelie soundtrack is always on my recently played list... Good Happy stuff.

hpdrifter
11-24-2010, 12:20 PM
Oingo Boingo

Ha! I don't know anyone else who would note Oingo Boingo off the top. (y)

gbsuey
12-02-2010, 08:26 AM
Music is totally my therapy- made a playlist on spotify last night-had to tear myself out the door to work this morning but was in just the best mood all day for listening to my favourite tunes and knowing i could do it as soon as i got home! Would have lost the plot years ago if it weren't for good music.

I'm just gonna remember not to listen to Explosions in The Sky when i'm upset again-it's just too much:o