PDA

View Full Version : would any of you guys support any state seccession?

Dorothy Wood
03-09-2011, 11:33 PM
yes or no and why?

Sir SkratchaLot
03-10-2011, 09:05 AM
Yes. I'd like to see Texas secede. Why, because they're always on about it and how the federal government is infringing on their State's rights. My thought is, let them secede, and then let Mexico invade their sorry asses while the rest of us sit back an laugh. That, would be awesome. It would be kind of cool to see that with Arizona too.

Dorothy Wood
03-10-2011, 10:53 PM
I see. I just wonder about how divided we'd actually become in this country, and if anybody'd ever given thought to the idea of the states breaking up and becoming their own countries, kinda like closer to the model of most other continents.

Obviously it wouldn't happen right away, but I can see how it might come to that someday. Should it be prevented though? what's the harm? I guess history would just repeat itself?

Just thinking about it in a more abstract way I guess. Not saying I have any sort of fully formed opinion on whether one state or another should secede.

Bob
03-11-2011, 12:04 AM
if texas secedes, would we have to invade them for their oil?

texas still has oil, right?

abbott
03-11-2011, 08:19 AM
I like the idea of state having more authority/control/responcibility over themselves ...
but ..

united we stand ... I believe that shit

jennyb
03-14-2011, 07:50 PM
I've often thought California would make a pretty sweet independent country. Or maybe like Washington/Oregon/California all combine to make one country, yeah, that'd be sweet. Mhm.

p-branez
03-20-2011, 04:38 PM
It's been on the table in Michigan before, with the Upper Peninsula wishing to secede into a state called Superior.
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=990CE0D7153EF937A2575AC0A9639582 60
(yes, Michigan is comprised of two peninsulas)

Regardless, we're having a good discussion about consolidation of cities, services and governments (city-county governments in Indianapolis and Lexington) that I don't think seccession has relevance.

Echewta
03-31-2011, 05:34 PM
California's flag is pretty awesome.

TimDoolan
03-31-2011, 08:15 PM
NCR 4 LIFE

saz
04-02-2011, 04:20 PM
i don't know how anyone could support breaking up their country.

Bob
04-02-2011, 10:51 PM
i don't know how anyone could support breaking up their country.

not even in sudan?

KingPsyz
04-23-2011, 05:46 PM
Yes. I'd like to see Texas secede. Why, because they're always on about it and how the federal government is infringing on their State's rights. My thought is, let them secede, and then let Mexico invade their sorry asses while the rest of us sit back an laugh. That, would be awesome. It would be kind of cool to see that with Arizona too.

I wouldn't mind at this point either, a chance for the sane among us to go "Well...bye"

Then make some popcorn and watch it crumble in months when they can't afford to keep the lights on. Hell Texas already gets back $1.78 in Federal dollars for every $1 it pays in, so they'd be bankrupt just from day to day ops in no time.

Meanwhile all the teahaddists can and will run there as a bastion of freedumb and taking their nation back(from the ni*bong*) and then we wall off the boarder like they keep asking and when they beg to come back deny them entry as enemies of the state.

Before we let them have it we'd have to take back all our stuff of course, armed forces, weapons, NASA equipment, interstate signage, etc.

greedygretchen
05-06-2011, 08:22 AM
if California seceded the rest of the country would be totally fucked. But really I think the idea of state secession kinda went out with the Civil War.

Adam
05-06-2011, 09:14 AM
Didn't Texas used to belong to Mexico? And I guess many other of the southern states - I don't really know much of american state history if I am honest.

Funny this thread should be bumped.

In the UK, SNP (Scottish National Party) seem to be taking a majority in the Scottish parliament from the elections yesterday (they are still counting), they have said they would have a referendum on independence for Scotland.

It's not the same as breaking up the country as it is already it's own country but it would not be governed by UK laws and it'd be free to make it's own. Guessing the UK would still exist but more in a ceremony sense - I dunno actually.

What is interesting is that SNP have made some wild claims but they are totally possible. One of them being totally 100% renewable energy by 2020. Given Scotland's location it could generate plenty of wind and hydro power and with energy (lack of it) now one of the biggest global threats they could start setting the tone and England could become their bitch. But that is not to say Scotland won't need England, they don't have the population to be insular.

You'd be operating on a similar way to Singapore and Monaco - you cannot say they haven't done well for themselves. But then why isn't there more of them?

Generally only civil war breaks up a country, I doubt America will ever have one of those again but I think it would be possible for some states to make a go of it themselves. You're gonna make enemies on your boarder and in your country though and you'd have to probably push one big idea and get the people and government on board. Like if scotland up the ante to 110% renewable energy, majority of it's north sea oil and 10% of it's elastic trickery could be sold south.

Could California live off pot and hollywood?

Could Texas live off oil and sunshine?

So yeah, I think the only way it could work is have one pretty big idea and do what you can to build around that.

kaiser soze
05-14-2011, 04:24 PM
Ahhh Texas, what priorities.

Texas Taxpayers Finance Formula One Auto Races as Schools Dismiss Teachers

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-05-11/texas-taxpayers-finance-formula-one-auto-races-as-schools-dismiss-teachers.html

Texas, which may balance its budget by firing thousands of teachers, plans to commit $25 million in state funds to Formula One auto racing each year for a decade...

...As many as 100,000 teachers in Texas may be fired because of spending cuts to cope with the state’s budget crisis, according to Moak Casey & Associates, an Austin-based education consultant. For $25 million a year, the state could pay more than 500 teachers an average salary of $48,000.

$250 million in tax payers dollars for F1 racing - While cutting teachers to balance a budget.

Where's the TeaKlan now?

Adam
05-15-2011, 01:13 AM
I'm all against cuts but I doubt it's one or the other.

No one said lets get rid of teachers to get F1 here.

The fine print might be that $25m each year for a decade will project to bring in a $1bn in taxes or whatever over the next two decades - probably more as F1 is a massive money spinner. But it is a fair point to ask why F1 needs public money or how many jobs attracting F1 to Texas will create.

kaiser soze
05-15-2011, 07:26 AM
You're right - all those teachers can get jobs slinging hotdogs at the track (y)

Adam
05-15-2011, 08:55 AM
You're right - all those teachers can get jobs slinging hotdogs at the track (y)

See, it's easy.

Just saying that none of it is easy and Texas won't be the only ones seemed to be choosing sport over education (Olympics, London).

But, the truth is that they probably need both and the only way to do that is gonna be higher taxes, which no-one votes for unless you show the benefit of what higher taxes brings. But we all have our own agenda, you can show that but then higher taxes means less investment from the private sector which means you have to lower taxes which means you have to sack teachers but then it might bring F1 to your area if taxes are low enough but F1 might go away if you make it too expensive for them before a legacy can be made but at least you can hire teachers and doctors but all those teachers and doctors will be bored without F1 so lowering taxes means you can bring back another sport but then some teachers will have to go...

...it's a hideous cycle.

meh, politics.

Burnout18
05-15-2011, 09:09 AM
I wonder how what kinda money an f1 race is going to bring to Austin.

Adam
05-15-2011, 09:22 AM

I would guess more than $25m where the returns get higher and the investment gets lower as time goes on. Just had a quick search and can't find any figures but if you can make it work it'll stay for a long time. USA haven't made F1 work so far but there is a consumer base waiting to be tapped I would of thought.

All america really needs is higher taxes.

kaiser soze
05-15-2011, 09:58 AM
The consumer base should have been tapped by now...time and time again, but F1 has failed in many U.S. markets even in the heartland of racing, Indianapolis. This is just another gift from the taxpayer to the wealthy - socialize costs, privatize profits. Like I said - where's the TeaKlan bitching about wasting tax dollars? This is a prime, in your face example of twisted priorities shoved in the face of the taxpayer benefiting private business.

If the race teams and fans want F1 - they pay for it, right? Isn't that the model of funding for everything politicians are pushing?

And even if it does fail - don't worry, contracts will be made and the taxpayers will still be pilfered years after F1 is forgotten about.

Burnout18
05-15-2011, 12:50 PM

How what

Look at my shitty grammar.

I am biased here, I will probably take a trip to Austin to see this race, while I would never head down there for any other reason.

With that being said, if you are a politician or business owner, you want to hear more people like me. I will be there spending money, that money gets taxed and hopefully gets sent back into Austin school system.

Adam
05-15-2011, 12:56 PM
How did this turn into an F1 thread?