PDA

View Full Version : I've tried not to....

Kid Presentable
03-25-2011, 09:39 AM
....but I think I actually like Ian Brown as a solo artist (namely Golden Greats and Music of the Spheres) more than I like the Stone Roses. Like considerably more.

In fact, a bunch of songs aside, the main reason I find myself respecting the Stone Roses is that they led to Ian Brown making those solo albums. Have at it.

I get that I wasn't there for the first Stone Roses album; or that I was, but was far more interested in Faith No More's 'The Real Thing' and discovering hip-hop as I was but a lad. I acknowledge it was a movement and so on yes I gather they defined an era.

I can give the Stone Roses their due in music's canon, I just can't be fagged listening to it, anymore. (y)

Guy Incognito
03-25-2011, 10:22 AM
i am about to finish work and have a lot to say about that but for now i will just say that there is more stuff to like but some of the energy of the roses isnt there. tbc.

Guy Incognito
03-25-2011, 11:54 AM
The Stone Roses first album is a truly great collection of guitar pop. FACT.
John Squire thought he was Jimi hendrix and this affected the roses creative process, sometimes for the good (first album) and sometimes for the bad (2nd album)
Ian Brown's work takes in so many more musical and literal references, i definitely feel that squires tendencies and the set up of the band held him back a bit. Not sure his voice was entirely suited to everything the roses did but his solo stuff saw his voice come into its own. Its still pretty weak live though.
Ian Brown is my hero, I had the chance to meet him and bottled it, i was afraid he would shatter my illusion or that i would be a prick so i legged it.
The man is a genius, although he cant cut it live vocally, he is still fascinating to watch and still puts on a great show.

Solarized is my favourite album but my favourite song is still his first , My Star.

I still listen to the roses first lp, pretty much weekly. 20 years on but yes Brown has more tunes to like.

Thats all i have to say for now.

saz
03-26-2011, 05:44 PM
although he cant cut it live vocally

he's inconsistent live. sometimes he's off and other nights he's spot on. when i saw him about six years ago he sounded great.