PDA

View Full Version : Licensed to Ill (2011)

KevG
04-24-2011, 07:43 PM
So... do you think that all the beef with Def Jam is squashed now seeing that the BBoys used their "Fight For Your Right" song on the new short film and basically (as in the title) revisited the old days from when they were on that label?

I ask because.. do you think a 25th Anniversary Edition of "Licensed to Ill" might come out with a second disc of the rest of the stuff released on DefJam and maybe a third disc of the home video? Because that would be cool..

MCScoobyT
04-24-2011, 08:07 PM
So... do you think that all the beef with Def Jam is squashed now seeing that the BBoys used their "Fight For Your Right" song on the new short film and basically (as in the title) revisited the old days from when they were on that label?

I ask because.. do you think a 25th Anniversary Edition of "Licensed to Ill" might come out with a second disc of the rest of the stuff released on Def Jam and maybe a third disc of the home video? Because that would be cool..

I heard a rumor that Russell might be going back to work in some higher up position at Def Jam. You know he would love to see a special edition of LTI come out, but he is also the only one I can think of that would push this. The current Def Jam heads could care less about the Beasties and I don't see the Beasties Boys wanting to spend much time or energy pushing a LTI 25th anniversary deluxe release.

I do like your idea and would love to see this happen...

KevG
04-24-2011, 09:02 PM
I heard a rumor that Russell might be going back to work in some higher up position at Def Jam. You know he would love to see a special edition of ITL come out, but he is also the only one I can think of that would push this. The current Def Jam heads could care less about the Beasties and I don't see the Beasties Boys wanting to spend much time or energy pushing a LTI 25th anniversary deluxe release.

I do like your idea and would love to see this happen...

I mean, even if the Beastie Boys don't get involved in the making of it, if it came out I am pretty sure a lot of Beastie Boys fans would buy it simply for the DVD. Old BBoys fans who still listen to "FFYRTP" all the time might even buy it. It WOULD sell tons if they kept the price fair ($14.99) or something..

Lex Diamonds
04-25-2011, 12:00 AM
I highly doubt this kind of collabo will happen, especially considering the whole concept of FFYRR was taking subliminal shots at Def Jam and their ethos.

Brother McDuff
04-25-2011, 11:17 AM
the whole concept of FFYRR was taking subliminal shots at Def Jam

i must have missed this. :confused:

Lex Diamonds
04-25-2011, 11:54 AM
Watch it again. The older Def Jam Bboys are "losers", the LTI Beastie Boys don't even understand why they are breaking shit with sledgehammers, everyone who meets them is pissed off by/hates them. The drunk, homeless has-been musician (Ryall) wears a Def Jam jacket.

The whole thing is A Christmas Carol retold around Def Jam.

Brother McDuff
04-25-2011, 01:21 PM
Watch it again. The older Def Jam Bboys are "losers", the LTI Beastie Boys don't even understand why they are breaking shit with sledgehammers, everyone who meets them is pissed off by/hates them. The drunk, homeless has-been musician (Ryall) wears a Def Jam jacket.

The whole thing is A Christmas Carol retold around Def Jam.

I think it's clear that they are more prodding their old selves rather than Def Jam. Also, in the PB commentary, Mike reveals that he had given the bum on his stoop a limited edition Def Jam jacket (much to Russell's chagrin). the bum was later to be known as Johnny Ryall, a name Mike made up for him (if I remember correctly).

p.s. I like the new avatar, Paddy. (y)

Lex Diamonds
04-25-2011, 01:23 PM
It's prodding fun at what they would have become at Def Jam... leaving was the correct decision and they're much richer for it as people. The version of them who stayed at Def Jam living out FFYR indefinitely is clearly a comment on that decision.

Brother McDuff
04-25-2011, 01:29 PM
It's prodding fun at what they would have become at Def Jam... leaving was the correct decision and they're much richer for it as people. The version of them who stayed at Def Jam living out FFYR indefinitely is clearly a comment on that decision.

i agree, through and through. all I'm saying is that I don't think there are any personal shots taken at the label, just at what they may have become if they'd stuck around. that's all.