PDA

View Full Version : Does this album have any samples?

brooklyndust
04-25-2011, 03:18 PM
Besides them sampling themselves.
Is there any major samples?

I thought they had some small samples on TMR. KRS-ONE for the how many rappers part and Doug E. Fresh for yes yes y'all. But I think it's just D with effects.

This might be their first proper album without samples.

pm0ney
04-25-2011, 03:27 PM
Im sure theres a bunch in there somewhere. No way that Santigold track is just them playing instruments.

Brother McDuff
04-25-2011, 03:31 PM
i'd imagine the horns in Don't Play No Game are a sample.

i noticed a little scratch sample at the end of NDP too, i believe.

i'm sure there are some others, but pretty tucked no doubt.

Mr. Smacktackle
04-25-2011, 05:08 PM
that cut up 'long burn the fire' got to be a sample

BeastieAlbum07
04-25-2011, 06:44 PM
On and on 'til the break of dawn in Crazy A$$ $#!t is definitely a sample. I've heard it before, but I just cannot pinpoint where.

Kid Presentable
04-25-2011, 07:04 PM
I want to say Long Burn the Fire is by a group called Black Merda, but it doesn't sound the same to me.

brooklyndust
04-25-2011, 07:45 PM
compared to their other albums, it's not really sample heavy. At least not any really noticeable samples.

scrappy
04-26-2011, 12:25 AM
definitely a major reduction in the use of samples.

kaiser soze
04-26-2011, 07:41 AM
I love free samples - sometimes I come back for more

the old lady hates it when I do that

Matchstikk
04-26-2011, 07:43 AM
that cut up 'long burn the fire' got to be a sample

They say on the NME interview in the Track By Track thread that Long Burn The Fire grew out of the sample, so you are right!

kaiser soze
04-26-2011, 07:52 AM
Long Burn This?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AobEReFjtlA

quite the joint (y)

Junker
04-26-2011, 08:15 AM
I want to say Long Burn the Fire is by a group called Black Merda, but it doesn't sound the same to me.

lol... You said Merda... :p

And it's also a black one.

cAm
04-26-2011, 11:12 AM
On and on 'til the break of dawn in Crazy A$$ $#!t is definitely a sample. I've heard it before, but I just cannot pinpoint where.

that is Mike´s kids singing that

he said that in the nme track by track interview

Jiberish
04-26-2011, 09:24 PM
Those middle-of-the-song horns on DPNGTICW sound like the older brother of the horns on Beck's New Pollution. possibly same sample source?

brooklyndust
04-27-2011, 01:35 PM
Turns out I was really wrong. Looks like they had a few samples in there. Not as obvious as tt5b.

senbei
04-27-2011, 05:01 PM
The sample(s) on DPNGTICW is clearly from The Bill Harper's collection.

Brother McDuff
04-27-2011, 05:34 PM
according to the liners the sax on DPNGTICW was played live by one Neal Usatin

brooklyndust
04-27-2011, 05:36 PM
i can't find any of the samples from the linear notes on the net.

Brother McDuff
04-27-2011, 05:39 PM
^

well, they did say they were sampling obscure this time around...

scrappy
04-27-2011, 08:03 PM
saw the liner notes... i stand corrected!

spacemac9000
04-27-2011, 08:06 PM
^

well, they did say they were sampling obscure this time around...

there is a radio head sample.

and imo i think a "one shot" as part of drums loops is sampled from belgium bongo band - apache

Kid Presentable
04-27-2011, 08:09 PM

Where?

Brother McDuff
04-27-2011, 08:17 PM

no there isn't.

scrappy
04-27-2011, 08:29 PM
I just searched for every listed sample from the liner notes and my conclusion is that none of those bands or those songs exist! Another awesome beastie prank! I believe this album just may be sample free.

brooklyndust
04-27-2011, 08:31 PM
I searched too. I think their just really obscure.

scrappy
04-27-2011, 08:35 PM
I don't believe there was ever an Irv Greenshaw on Blue Note Records.

scrappy
04-27-2011, 08:36 PM
... or a soundtrack for the film "Brutus"

Jiberish
04-27-2011, 10:20 PM
... or a soundtrack for the film "Brutus"

Isn't it the 2001 Space Odyssey theme music just cut up or maybe re-played?

BeastieRunner
04-28-2011, 03:26 PM

lol... You said Merda... :p

And it's also a black one.

Detroit in the HOUSE! :eek:

romanpetr
04-28-2011, 04:14 PM
I just searched for every listed sample from the liner notes and my conclusion is that none of those bands or those songs exist! Another awesome beastie prank! I believe this album just may be sample free.

Yesterday I spent 6 hours of searching on the Internet(discogs, soulseek, google ,etc and without result!
But on discogs.com was small link bout rasheed Smith and that's all!
thats's like a science fiction story - that's u can to read,but you know: it's never has happened! Again Beastie Boys show to us theirs feelings of humour!:)
But some samples was used on HSC Pt.2 obviously!(!) Nonstop Disco Powerpack! Funky Donkey! Long Burn the Fire! Crazy Ass Shit! ....
We need just to dig it....

Pootytang
04-28-2011, 09:46 PM
MAKE SOME NOISE Containsmaterial from "I'm Suped (got it like that)" performed by Pump used under the license from Ohio Records

Ok Contains material from "Wear Art Though" performed by Plastic Revolution used courtesy of Plastic Revolution/Parlophone Records

TOO MANY RAPPERS Contains material from "Stone Love Lady" performed by Rail used under special license from Octavious Records and "Journeys, Oscillations and Other Dreams" performed by Irv Greenwood used courtesy of Blue Note Records

THE BILL HARPER COLLECTION Contains material from "The Coming of the Triumverate" from the motion picture soundtrack of "Brutus" used under license from Dynamic Specialty Products

LONG BURN THE FIRE Contains Material from "Shallow Water" performed by The Supernatural Folk (featuring Dianne Wentworth) used Courtesy of BayouTones/Capital Records

FUNKY DONKEY Contains material from "Twin City Hustler" performed by The Diamels used under license from Freaky Thangz Records and "(It's Called)Love Boat" performed by Pretty Ron and The Love Boat Crew used under license from Rock Creek Records

TADLOCK"S GLASSES Contains material from "Sun Creations" performed by Rasheed Smith used under license from Rising Vision Records

LEE MAJORS COME AGAIN Contains material from "All Aboard the Rocket Ship" performed by Chip Welson used under license from For Kids Only/Dynomatic Records

HERE"S A LITTLE SOMETHING FOR YA Contains material from "Kein Fleisch' performed by Franz Konkie Used Courtesy of Synthestisches Material/'EMI INTL.

CRAZY ASS SHIT Contains material from "Isosceles Dillema" performed by Root Cellar used under special license from Buabhaill Records

The LISA LISA/FULL FORCE ROUTINE Contains material from "Mighty Corporal Winston" performed by The Argonauts used under license from Tempo Recordings

brooklyndust
04-29-2011, 05:29 PM
But can you find any of these online? Like it was mentioned earlier, we did searches on all those artists and nothing came up.

On another note, I'm pretty sure they sample this Bar-Kays song again (or at least interpolate it) for Funky Donkey: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJlAop6SyLI#t=3m05s

RhythmAce
04-29-2011, 07:13 PM
that holy ghost clip is good stuff.

The quick faint drums in the chorus of OK sound the same as the drums in the begninning of this Dj Icey track. Probably a common loop though. Have to wait till :15 to hear it in this version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQgdYr7rwYY

Dont catch many, if any samples in HCM yet. Gotta listen more

dave790
04-30-2011, 03:50 AM
But can you find any of these online? Like it was mentioned earlier, we did searches on all those artists and nothing came up.

On another note, I'm pretty sure they sample this Bar-Kays song again (or at least interpolate it) for Funky Donkey: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJlAop6SyLI#t=3m05s

there is an interview..i have it and will try to find it...where they mention that they were looking for particularly obscure samples. i think it's kinda cool that they're not obvious. i remember adrock mentioning 'off-broadway shit'...which must be the bill harper sample.

scrappy
05-01-2011, 05:36 AM
i remember adrock saying he was into sampling off-broadway shit back in the Hello Nasty days. he always says that.

There are no samples on this record.

dave790
05-01-2011, 10:06 AM
well no, there are. they are in the credits.

romanpetr
05-01-2011, 10:38 AM
If U're remember a lot sources two years ago told bout participation of Enya on Tadlock's Glasses... Any ideas?

I' ve thought that one composition or maybe excerption of Enya's was turn on and replayed back....

....and voice at the end of song said: Sometimes Things Just don't Connect...
maybe I 've got a mistake,but it seems that voiсe belongs to a woman and not is Mike D's....

Pootytang
05-01-2011, 10:39 AM
The list I provided comes from the Liner notes of the cd.

romanpetr
05-01-2011, 10:43 AM

that's strictly to the apple! (y)
but another sample for this song was women's voice - what You looking at?...
So,keep digging...:)

scrappy
05-01-2011, 04:56 PM
What happened to the Bob Dylan sample they were yappin bout?

Brother McDuff
05-01-2011, 05:13 PM
What happened to the Bob Dylan sample they were yappin bout?

from Drowned in Sound interview:

DiS: Nas and Santigold appear on the album but there’s no sign of, as previously claimed, Bob Dylan. Was that, in best Beastie Boys tradition, a cheeky fib?

Ad-Rock: Bob Dylan is guesting on ...Pt 2. He talks about us. More of a spoken word thing...

MCA: We sampled his ass.

Mike D: He has a radio show on satellite and he was speaking about Beastie Boys...

mind you, this interview was from before Part 1 was renamed Part 2.

linky link: http://drownedinsound.com/in_depth/4137232

scrappy
05-02-2011, 07:26 AM
I think I hear 3 distinct samples in "Make Some Noise, all in the chorus, but I don't believe they are from a band named Pump. There's some noise after the scratch before MCA says "you gotta party..." at the beginning of the chorus. Then there's what sounds like an electronic voice saying "Make some noise"? i think, then there's the "crazy, crazy, crazy" sample. Not sure what any of this is from, but I doubt it's from some obscure group named Pump, and I wonder if it's just the Beasties making their own samples.

Kid Presentable
05-02-2011, 07:32 AM
There are a lot of lies in that credits list, to be sure. Which are true and which are mirth remains to be seen. 'Pretty Ron and the Loveboat Crew' is my current facebook status.

cj hood
05-02-2011, 07:46 AM
almost every beastie record has a sample of (either): pe, epmd or run dmc....but not this one. no real hiphop samples in there.

Micodin
05-02-2011, 07:49 AM
Or samples of themselves...

I don't recall any of those either. I could be mistaken though.

scrappy
05-02-2011, 09:38 PM
I don't hear any sampling in Non-Stop Disco Powerpack.

Maybe a few short samples of a "huh!" noise starting at 3:37

scrappy
05-02-2011, 09:49 PM
I don't hear any samples on "OK". It's possible they sampled some obscure band but I think they made all the music up themselves on that cut.

Pootytang
05-02-2011, 10:24 PM
From the Liner notes in the CD:

MAKE SOME NOISE Containsmaterial from "I'm Suped (got it like that)" performed by Pump used under the license from Ohio Records

Ok Contains material from "Wear Art Though" performed by Plastic Revolution used courtesy of Plastic Revolution/Parlophone Records

TOO MANY RAPPERS Contains material from "Stone Love Lady" performed by Rail used under special license from Octavious Records and "Journeys, Oscillations and Other Dreams" performed by Irv Greenwood used courtesy of Blue Note Records

THE BILL HARPER COLLECTION Contains material from "The Coming of the Triumverate" from the motion picture soundtrack of "Brutus" used under license from Dynamic Specialty Products

LONG BURN THE FIRE Contains Material from "Shallow Water" performed by The Supernatural Folk (featuring Dianne Wentworth) used Courtesy of BayouTones/Capital Records

FUNKY DONKEY Contains material from "Twin City Hustler" performed by The Diamels used under license from Freaky Thangz Records and "(It's Called)Love Boat" performed by Pretty Ron and The Love Boat Crew used under license from Rock Creek Records

TADLOCK"S GLASSES Contains material from "Sun Creations" performed by Rasheed Smith used under license from Rising Vision Records

LEE MAJORS COME AGAIN Contains material from "All Aboard the Rocket Ship" performed by Chip Welson used under license from For Kids Only/Dynomatic Records

HERE"S A LITTLE SOMETHING FOR YA Contains material from "Kein Fleisch' performed by Franz Konkie Used Courtesy of Synthestisches Material/'EMI INTL.

CRAZY ASS SHIT Contains material from "Isosceles Dillema" performed by Root Cellar used under special license from Buabhaill Records

The LISA LISA/FULL FORCE ROUTINE Contains material from "Mighty Corporal Winston" performed by The Argonauts used under license from Tempo Recordings

brooklyndust
05-02-2011, 10:43 PM
okay pooty, give me any song from any of those artists. Or maybe an article on who they are. Something. The linear notes are wrong some times, check out the alive single.

Kid Presentable
05-02-2011, 10:50 PM
It's not even that the liner notes are wrong, they're just on the wind-up. I'm sure a couple of those entries are legit.

Finkasaurus
05-28-2011, 01:33 AM
jump out a window onto a parade balloon

Finkasaurus
11-14-2020, 11:12 PM
so does this album have any samples or what lol

balohna
11-15-2020, 02:20 AM
so does this album have any samples or what lol

Have you read Beastie Boys Book?

Finkasaurus
11-15-2020, 03:24 AM
Have you read Beastie Boys Book?

Yea just thought it would be funny to reply to a super old thread that I had totally forgotten about

tjpop
11-26-2020, 10:27 AM
From the Liner notes in the CD:

But aren't those all fake?! And jokes...That nobody got.

tjpop
11-26-2020, 10:30 AM

Whether it is or isn't...That's dope! Thnx!