PDA

View Full Version : Anyone going to see Ad-Rock at the MoMA in NYC tomorrow 5/5?

lyneday
05-04-2011, 05:40 PM
MoMA Nights with DJ Adam Horovitz and a Special Poster Signing

MoMA is open late the first Thursday of the month, September–June, with a DJ, a cash bar, a prix-fixe menu in Cafe 2, and special Gallery Talks. In July and August, MoMA is open late every Thursday, with live music presented in two sets, at 5:30 and 7:00 p.m., in the Sculpture Garden.

Regular Museum admission applies.

On Thursday, May 5, MoMA Nights features activities and music in conjunction with the exhibition Looking at Music 3.0, including a DJ set by Adam Horovitz (of the Beastie Boys) from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. and a poster signing from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. with artists featured in the exhibition, such as Kathleen Hanna (of Bikini Kill and Le Tigre) and Def Jam Recordings creative director Cey Adams. (Posters are $20 each.)

Cash Bar
5:30–8:00 p.m.
Visit the cash bar for a variety of beverages, including specialty cocktails.

Prix Fixe Dinner
5:00–8:00 p.m., Cafe 2 (floor 2)
In addition to the regular menu, a special prix fixe dinner created by Chef Lynn Bound is available for $28 (not including beverage or NYS sales tax and service charge). Dinner begins with an appetizer, followed by an entree and dessert. Participation in the tasting requires the participation of the entire group; however, guests may order extra items from the regular menu if they wish. It is suggested that guests allow up to one hour to complete the full prix fixe meal. The $28 menu is not eligible for the 10% member discount. Reservations: cafes@artfoodny.com

Gallery Talks
Free with admission
MoMA educators give engaging talks in the galleries at 6:00 and 7:30 p.m. Groups meet the lecturer in the Marron Atrium on the second floor. Gallery talks are approximately sixty minutes in duration. For enhanced hearing in the galleries, FM headsets and neck loops are available at the meeting spot.

In conjunction with the exhibition Looking at Music 3.0

Looking at Music 3.0, the third in a series of exhibitions exploring the influence of music on contemporary art practices, focuses on New York in the 1980s and 1990s. In this dynamic period, imaginative forms of street art spread across the five boroughs, articulating the counter-culture tenor of the times. As the city transitioned from bankruptcy to solvency, graffiti, media, and performance artists took advantage of low rents and collaborated on ad hoc works shown in alternative spaces and underground clubs. Appropriation, also known as remixing, thrived. Approximately 70 works from a wide range of artists and musicians will be on view, including works by the Beastie Boys, Kathleen Hanna and Le Tigre, Keith Haring, Christian Marclay, Steven Parrino, Run DMC, and Joanie 4 Jackie, a video chain letter founded by Miranda July.

http://moma.org/visit/calendar/exhibitions/1147
http://moma.org/visit/calendar/events/11104

BrooklynDown
05-04-2011, 07:15 PM
I will be there.

pm0ney
05-04-2011, 07:59 PM
Im totally there.

Splashleigh
05-04-2011, 08:05 PM
i wish i was going there, but alas, i live on the other side of the world. one of my friends living in new york is going though. i'm devastated i can't go i love all three of them waaah

pshabi
05-04-2011, 10:19 PM
The homies Laver and Pootytang are gonna be there.

Laver1969
05-05-2011, 04:37 AM
I've heard DJ Horovitz has "remarkable talent". Should be fun.

monkey
05-05-2011, 08:02 AM
im very excited for this :D

Travis Bickle
05-05-2011, 09:12 AM
Lucky bastards.

Enjoy it for the rest of us!

lyneday
05-05-2011, 09:25 AM
I really don't know many people on these boards - if anyone would like to meet up I'm planning on being there by 5 - send me a PM

Drusyc
05-05-2011, 11:29 AM
I'll be going, should be cool

mathcart
05-05-2011, 02:31 PM
Killing me, but now I think I have to miss this!

:mad:

Looking forward to hearing the good word about this after the fact...

(y)

pshabi
05-05-2011, 05:06 PM
Well.....the homies are sending me text messages with pictures as I type this. They are outside the museum, listening to the King spin old school hip hop. A couple of pictures were taken from about a foot away in what appears to be a very relaxed atmosphere.

Kicking myself for not being able to join them.

Drusyc
05-05-2011, 09:35 PM
It was pretty cool. Adam was Djing in this garden courtyard area, in front of this pond. He was pretty social, taking a lot of pictures with people and stuff. I got one... my brothers shaky cam-work kind of messed it up but ehhh :cool:

I got my Cey Adams poster signed, too.

I also saw Jim Shearer there, who does 'The Brouhaha' podcast.

Mr. Juice
05-05-2011, 10:47 PM
For those unable to attend:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVmfRiwyjXs

JoLovesMCA
05-05-2011, 11:11 PM
One word!

PUDDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

NicRN77
05-06-2011, 12:27 AM
Kinda bummed I couldn't be there. I was in NYC today...but I had tickets to the Jimmy Fallon show then had to bus it back to Boston. :(

midzi
05-06-2011, 02:02 AM

Message Board legends(y)

LongDuckDong
05-06-2011, 05:24 AM

Adam looks uncomfortable.

laurie_hammy
05-06-2011, 06:05 AM

Fuck I wish I lived in NYC.

BrooklynDown
05-06-2011, 07:11 AM
My MoMA/Adrock experience:

I got to the museum just after 5:30. Headed to the display they had on the second floor. They had monitors where you could watch music videos or listen to classic records. They were showing the videos for Sabotage, Weezer's Buddy Holly, and some others. You could also listen to Run-DMC or Bambaataa or Kraftwerk on headphones.

My wife arrived and we headed outside to the garden area where Adrock was DJing. He didn't address the entire crowd as far as I can remember. His set was great (he played some X-Ray Spex, KRS-One, Grandmaster Flash, but no Beasties).

I took some iPhone pics of him from afar. Cey Adams was hanging around, but I did not see Kathleen Hanna.

Adam would come over to talk to the people and pose for photos/sign autographs. I was standing next to the turntable/laptop setup and I politely asked him if I could please get a picture with him and he politely said yes, in just a minute. He had a lengthy chat with middle-aged gentleman standing next to me, who turned out to be Bill Adler. Finally, he made his way over to me and my wife.

I shook his hand and he asked me if we'd met before. He said I looked familiar. I said no, we've never met. He said he thought he recognized me from somewhere. I said, "Well, I'm from Brooklyn." And he said something like, "Ah, that may be it."

Then he posed for a couple of pics with me. Very nice guy. Not only can he rhyme, but he can DJ too. It was a great night. He made my year. :)

lyneday
05-06-2011, 09:19 AM
I got into the city by 5. Literally walked into Vinny, Pooty and gang as we were walking to the MoMa. Got in to the museum around 5:15 - saw a set up out in the garden so I asked the info booth if that's where the event was and it was.
Grabbed a few chairs and sat waiting for Adam to come out. I was somewhat disappointed that he used a lap top and did not play not one record, he didn't even put headphones on.
He played a little bit of everything for everyone but NO Beasties!! He's really on a dubstep kick, I felt I heard more dubstep tracks than any other genre - I can't escape it. He did play lots of tracks that they sampled but again NO Beasties =o(

I was standing in front of Bill Adler when he squeezed his way up front and he was way too close to comfort. I was about to say something to him until Adam recognized him and started talking to him and his daughter (BrooklynDown I was to Bills left so we were in the same area)

I waited close to 2 hours for Adam to finally come over and sign my NY Magazine article from AIFST. I didn't get any good pictures with him until the end when he was walking out (thank you Pooty!)

I did a quick run thru of the actual exhibit. I'll have to go back to spend more time in there before it's over.

Jim it was nice to meet you. Do you mind if I share the video?

BrooklynDown
05-06-2011, 09:27 AM
I got into the city by 5. Literally walked into Vinny, Pooty and gang as we were walking to the MoMa. Got in to the museum around 5:15 - saw a set up out in the garden so I asked the info booth if that's where the event was and it was.
Grabbed a few chairs and sat waiting for Adam to come out. I was somewhat disappointed that he used a lap top and did not play not one record, he didn't even put headphones on.
He played a little bit of everything for everyone but NO Beasties!! He's really on a dubstep kick, I felt I heard more dubstep tracks than any other genre - I can't escape it. He did play lots of tracks that they sampled but again NO Beasties =o(

I was standing in front of Bill Adler when he squeezed his way up front and he was way too close to comfort. I was about to say something to him until Adam recognized him and started talking to him and his daughter (BrooklynDown I was to Bills left so we were in the same area)

I waited close to 2 hours for Adam to finally come over and sign my NY Magazine article from AIFST. I didn't get any good pictures with him until the end when he was walking out (thank you Pooty!)

I did a quick run thru of the actual exhibit. I'll have to go back to spend more time in there before it's over.

Jim it was nice to meet you. Do you mind if I share the video?

I was wearing an LA Dodgers cap. Maybe I'm in that video, I haven't checked.

MintyFreshBeats
05-06-2011, 09:35 AM
shout outs to Laver who I met briefly yesterday (y)

JoLovesMCA
05-06-2011, 10:20 AM
Can I add that Kathleen is so beautiful and that I knew Adam would not be able to answer the pudding thing. There’s not always a rhyme or reason behind lyrics but it’s cute. Anyway her interview was my favorite. Peanut butter pants. Ahhhhhhhh cute cute cute!!!!!! Damn why do I gotta be in Texas when cool shit happens!

jak692
05-06-2011, 11:39 AM
Ad-Rock probably felt uncomfortable because he wanted to do his own thing and not play beasties and also like most artists didn't want to reveal any meanings behind ambiguous lyrics. So when it was asked over and over again with a camera in his face I can see how that prob made him a little uncomfortable.

Either way, the pudding is poop. poop is doo-doo. adrock has the dee- double -oh -dee - double-oh style. starting to get it?

Splashleigh
05-07-2011, 03:43 AM
i'll take both (y)

Top 10
05-07-2011, 10:09 AM
Playlist ?

fonky pizza
05-10-2011, 02:09 AM
PUDDING IS LOVE and you're a bunch of jerks making MY DJ feel uncofortable.

Kid Presentable
05-10-2011, 04:00 AM

Christ that was fucking strange. Nice to see Laver :)

fonky pizza
05-11-2011, 07:21 AM
Nice to see Jamie who filmed me at the paegeant tour for the AWESOME dvd, that was a REAL fun thing to do!(y)

fonky pizza
05-11-2011, 10:13 AM
Either way, the pudding is poop. poop is doo-doo. adrock has the dee- double -oh -dee - double-oh style. starting to get it?

absolutely

Rodie
05-11-2011, 06:35 PM
Playlist ?

Yeah someone spill the beans

lyneday
05-12-2011, 02:23 PM
As for a playlist, not sure anyone really kept track. He jumped around - hip hop classics, funk, soul, punk, dubstep, regge

Some board members made it into Paper Mag

http://www.papermag.com/assets_c/2011/05/DJAdamHorovitz6_MoMAMay5_PhotoScottRudd-thumb-500xauto-45446.jpg

Kid Presentable
05-13-2011, 07:13 PM
So, who was the (video) camera operator?

fonky pizza
05-18-2011, 07:48 AM
http://www.papermag.com/assets_c/2011/05/DJAdamHorovitz6_MoMAMay5_PhotoScottRudd-thumb-500xauto-45446.jpg

ROCK-A-DELIK! FUNK-A-DELIK! MACHIAVELIK!

Pootytang
05-18-2011, 10:26 PM
So, who was the (video) camera operator?

Mr. Juice

Kid Presentable
05-18-2011, 10:28 PM
Mr. Juice

Cool. Interesting approach.

LongDuckDong
05-23-2011, 03:28 PM
Finally watched this youtube video. Looked like a great, intimate way to spend the evening with such superb ppl. Super great to see Laver and Pooty and the others fly across the country for this event.

the9thbeastie
04-03-2015, 08:47 PM
I am slowly going through my collection and trying to figure out what all I have and what I am missing - apparently some of you attended this event at the Museum of Modern Art and may have recorded it (audio or video) - the you tube videos are no longer available. If you would consider sharing whatever you recorded - I'd love to add it to me collection.

For that matter - looking for any of the DJ sets that Michael and Adam have done in recent years. You can reach me at ninthbeastie@hotmail.com

dirtydan11
04-04-2015, 11:15 AM
The homies Laver and Pootytang are gonna be there.

(y)(y)

dirtydan11
04-04-2015, 11:19 AM
I think Pootytang only comes to the board on Easter every year now so his Mike D siggy shows relevance. Good to see you! Hoppy Easter!

Laver1969
04-04-2015, 05:32 PM
I'm not sure if anyone recorded Adrock's whole set. I know Mr. Juice aka recorded a bunch for his short video he put together. Not sure if he has a bunch of footage saved up or not. I'll shoot him a note.

abbott
04-05-2015, 07:22 AM
thanks for the updates, As always wish I was there

sounds fucking awesome

JohnnyChavello
04-05-2015, 08:27 AM
Jim Shearer recorded some of it. I think this is the only footage I've seen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJGfdCyOMTg