PDA

View Full Version : U.S ranks 17 - China #2 as Clean Tech Producers

kaiser soze
05-08-2011, 07:27 AM
I'm not surprised. Once a business starts up and realizes it has demand - it ships it's manufacturing to China. So we may have clean tech business here

but production, eh not so much.

Which brings me to another point - just because it's clean tech does not necessarily mean it is clean when created. By-products of solar panel production generates a ton of toxic chemicals....sorta goes against the ideology completely.

China is well known to show little regard for it's people and environment in exchange for making "cheaper" products (both in price and quality). I am trying to find some info on Denmark's environment with little success to make comparisons.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2011/may/07/eu-climate-clean-tech/

Denmark earns the biggest share of its national revenue from producing windmills and other clean technologies, the United States is rapidly expanding its clean-tech sector, but no country can match China's pace of growth, according to a new report obtained by The Associated Press.

China's production of green technologies has grown by a remarkable 77 per cent a year, according to the report, which was commissioned by the World Wildlife Fund for Nature and which will be unveiled on Monday at an industry conference in Amsterdam.

Adam
05-08-2011, 10:20 AM
You gotta put some of it into perspective.

China, don't have to risk assess or vote any of it through, they just do it - advantages of being a dictator but like you say, you have to ignore some other truths. They are also a young economy - if they was up and coming when uses for oil were found out then they would of built the whole economy around that like America did.

Denmark are a different culture (as are a lot of Scandinavian countries are). Relatively small population with a small rich : poor gap ratio gives you some advantages. But they will never be the richest in the world.

I'm a member of the Green Party in the UK and one of the things that comes up so much is that rich : poor gap, the smaller it is, generally the higher your taxes but the better your general education, healthcare and clean tech. Also some of the happiest people worldwide. But then we all can't be the same - the american dream couldn't exist, you're basically setting yourself up to rely on the state from birth but you obviously pay them well for that privilege for the rest of your life in taxes to the government.

I'm getting off point, but you can't be number 1 at everything. American is built on oil, the fact that it made the top 20 is probably pretty good.