PDA

View Full Version : oh my god...

DandyFop
05-04-2012, 11:06 AM
I can't believe Yauch is gone. I feel numb.

fonky pizza
05-04-2012, 11:10 AM
WHAT?!?!?!

cosmo105
05-04-2012, 11:10 AM
holy shit. :( :( :(

Tone Capone
05-04-2012, 11:11 AM
:(

ToucanSpam
05-04-2012, 11:11 AM
No....

I'mTheMacaroni
05-04-2012, 12:36 PM
I can't believe Yauch is gone. I feel numb.

Me too. This is awful.

beastiegirrl101
05-04-2012, 12:37 PM
My 2nd thought, first being of MCA...was of all of you.

Damn.

Dr Deaf
05-04-2012, 12:44 PM
RIP old friend, you fought the good fight.

na§tee
05-04-2012, 12:47 PM
sad, sad news.

much bbmb love being felt right now. hugs.

weez
05-04-2012, 12:49 PM
shit... :(

monkey
05-04-2012, 01:02 PM
i keep getting chills. i had to come back to the boards. im kinda shocked.

monkey
05-04-2012, 01:03 PM

Damn.

me too. <3

Randetica
05-04-2012, 01:11 PM
im all sad but at the same time find it hard to realize this really happened

not fair (n)

i will tearly miss him in so many ways

skinnybutphat
05-04-2012, 01:14 PM
Sorry for all of our loss. Hope everyone is well.

NicRN77
05-04-2012, 01:14 PM
cancer sucks. so sad.

HEIRESS
05-04-2012, 01:18 PM

Damn.

Yup, this, and my brother since we bonded over beastie boys albums during our formative years in the 90s.

I'm gonna go call him and let him know the news... :(

zippo
05-04-2012, 01:18 PM
i still cant believe it...

roosta
05-04-2012, 01:20 PM
gutted.

MCAadROCKMiKEd7
05-04-2012, 01:20 PM
Rip hero <3

Rappin to the golden mic in the sky, thanks for everything you've done for me without even knowing it. I will forever remember your rhymes and your soul. Rest well darlin <3

Dr Deaf
05-04-2012, 01:23 PM
when i first read the news via yahoo, i was processing and started to read the comments on the article, not fully digesting what i was reading, like it hadn't really happened.

this was the first reply to the yahoo article:

redbeard • Denver, Colorado • 38 minutes agoReport Abuse

I am a leukemia survivor now and I had an awesome experience related to this man. I was confined to a wheelchair for a time and was fortunate enough to attend a Beastie Boys concert at Red Rocks a few years ago. At that venue when you are handicapped you either get front row or last row. I was able to get front row for this particular show and my sister, who was my bone marrow donor, and I were in the crowd when MCA came off stage and went about ten rows up in the crowd behind us. When he came back down security was coming up to me and suddenly someone was pushing my chair around. I thought at first security was just moving me out of the way but I looked up and actually MCA was pushing me around. I threw my arms up in the air and he spun me around a couple times and jumped back up onto the stage. I'll never forget that moment. I wish he was as fortunate as I was with his fight with cancer. My sincere condolences go out to his family and friends. RIP MCA.

just one example of a thousand ways he touched so many fans' lives.

he changed my life forever, RIP MCA.

M|X|Y
05-04-2012, 01:24 PM

Damn.

the people here are pretty much the only ones i know that feel the same as me right now. :(

Freebasser
05-04-2012, 01:27 PM
A true legend. The fact that so many of us have come out of the woodwork to post our condolences on here shows the impact Adam and the Boys' music has had on our lives.

You guys are special :')

DandyFop
05-04-2012, 01:33 PM
Yup, this, and my brother since we bonded over beastie boys albums during our formative years in the 90s.

I'm gonna go call him and let him know the news... :(

I texted my brother to thank him for giving me Hello Nasty all those years ago. When I think of how many incredible experiences and friends I've made due to this band, my heart simply breaks.

Found a great pic of them, feel like it sums them up -

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/p480x480/380756_10150916586799804_503094803_12028279_857308 082_n.jpg

A. Chimendez
05-04-2012, 01:39 PM
I was saying this to Dandy on Facebook, but I'm pretty grateful for the friends and internet acquaintances I've made thanks to this message board.

12 years I've posted here, and while I'm just a casual fan, their music obviously has done enough to bring people together. That's pretty special.

To all my friends here, and to the Beasties themselves, thank you so much.

RIP MCA. You were, and will always be one of my heroes.

Echewta
05-04-2012, 01:45 PM
Crazyness. I'm so very thankful for the Beastie Boys and MCA. Besides the awesome music, I've been lucky to internet know you all and in some cases, persoanlly know and become best friends with some of you.

I'm not a fan of RIP and all that but yea...

monkey
05-04-2012, 01:46 PM
im so thankful for the bbmb family right now for being able to express the things i can't even think about and once again being one of the best support systems ive ever encountered.

i hope Yauch's family and friends know how much he meant to us all and what an incredible impact he made.

gbsuey
05-04-2012, 01:47 PM
I was out and a couple of friends texted me....i hadn't heard, and i couldn't get a decent 3G signal on my phone to get here....was panicking. Needed to be on here with you all...how funny. Devastated.

HEIRESS
05-04-2012, 01:48 PM
That's an awesome picture Barb!

As much as my brother and I fought as teenagers, we always agreed on music.

When the extended version of "make some noise" premiered on tv, my brother happened to be visiting and we bounced around my living room like fucking idiots while it was airing, so much fun to act like kids again together.

I adore my bbmb crew and everything they've added to my life the past 10 years and it's all because of the B-boys. (y)

Documad
05-04-2012, 01:52 PM
I can't accept it yet, but having you all check in helps.

beastiegirrl101
05-04-2012, 01:54 PM
I adore my bbmb crew and everything they've added to my life the past 10 years and it's all because of the B-boys. (y)

Right on! So many memories here and with all of you.

rirv
05-04-2012, 01:57 PM
For me the Beastie Boys were a genuinely large part of my formative years. They were my de facto "favourite, bestest band in the world ever" for a while during my teens. Every new hint of a release or snippet of press (this being before the internet became so available) was lapped up and absorbed. I would obsessively collect every CD I could find. I would try and convert my friends to them, sometimes - thought not always - successfully. Their wide range of styles and the music they sampled and referenced has led me to find whole new avenues of music and knowledge.

I remember when George Harrison died in 2001 and I felt sad in a way that I had never really felt sad about someone dying who I wasn't related to before. But then there was still a sense of disconnect - The Beatles were so long gone that I felt sad as much for the spirit of the man passing and the fact that such a great group became even more disconnected from me and my time.

With Adam Yauch's passing there is a real sense, for me, that there was something I was a contemporary part of during the late 90s and the past decade. That is now gone and it really does feel strange. It seems so unexpected. We all know he has been ill - but not that ill - and the surprise hurts. As we travel on in time the connections break and our transience becomes even more exposed. Hello all here at the BBMB and travel well MCA.

Qdrop
05-04-2012, 01:59 PM
A little piece of me died.

Men die.

Legends live forever.

Randetica
05-04-2012, 02:00 PM
years ago i had a weird dream of the beasties dying in a plane crash, i thought i had no reason to live anymore and laid myself into the grave of my grandma and waited to die heh

now a few years later one of them really died, hope he is doing well where ever he is right now

BBboy20
05-04-2012, 02:06 PM
me too. <3Me third.

hpdrifter
05-04-2012, 02:07 PM

Damn.

Me 5 (I think).

So much work to do but so little mental bandwidth. He had me at "to all the mothers and the sisters and the wives and friends I wanna offer my love and respect to the end."

HEIRESS
05-04-2012, 02:07 PM
I've Seen Better Days Than This One (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teQqelBTw7g)

Qdrop
05-04-2012, 02:10 PM
fucking cancer. it takes so much away from our lives.

i hate that fucking disease. it's taken my loved ones over and over....watched them die in front of me.

it takes my icons.

It takes from all of us.

Cancer is true evil.

saz
05-04-2012, 02:14 PM
pretty much everything rirv said, but as a bit of an old fart, i was into them from day one, the mid-80s, and remember all of us on the playground reciting the lyrics to paul revere. then of course the glory years of the early 90s, and all of the booze, dope, skateboarding et al. and right up until the mid-2000s when i got beastie boyed-out. :/

i'm glad i got to see them live in '98. still have my ticket stub, in the case of my hello nasty cd.

very sad news but i have to admit that i wasn't very surprised.

first jack (http://i.thestar.com/images/6f/b6/043759924b2d80b1f3a8b9158e92.jpeg) now mca. cancer sucks.

hpdrifter
05-04-2012, 02:19 PM
Is it weird that I went immediately to Beastie-free? I don't know, I guess this is where I figured I'd find the people I knew.

I literally do not know what to do with myself right now.

zippo
05-04-2012, 02:26 PM
ive been reading back on all our threads...so hilarious and insane
anyways back to real life and still so sad...to think we all connected cuz of them and now the beastie boys have one less boy.

never thought this day would come so soon! interesting how we all came back here today... :(

Whatitis
05-04-2012, 02:26 PM
So bummed about this but grateful as well to have enjoyed his talents. I've been a fan since the mid 80's. I remember when I first got LTI and for the longest time it did not leave my tape deck and at the time I'll never forget my step-dad telling me the Beastie Boys was just a fad. Because of that I've always felt a little pride in the Beasties accomplishments. Like giving him the proverbial finger. Anyways, sad day indeed. RIP and Thank you MCA.

Audio.
05-04-2012, 02:46 PM
he will never be forgotten. never. :(

Knuckles
05-04-2012, 02:47 PM
gutted.

Yep.

I've never had tears from the death of a "celebrity" before.

BBboy20
05-04-2012, 02:54 PM
Had the best time in my life for some time and then this happens 12 hours later...I'd never thought I'd listen to nothing but the Boys in gloom this soon.

cookiepuss
05-04-2012, 02:55 PM
I'm here for roll call. *pours out 40oz*

I can't beleive it either. thinking of you all and all the good times. So many of you I never would have connected with with out the love for the beasties.

trailerprincess
05-04-2012, 03:05 PM
I am heartbroken. Met so many wonderful people because of the music and been to some wonderful places. I hope he knows how many he inspired over the years. Had to come here and share this moment with my friends and bbmb family. Much love MCA, may your legacy live on through your music and family.:( Hugs to all of you beautiful people and raise your glass to a legend tonight.

-T-
05-04-2012, 03:22 PM

Yeti
05-04-2012, 03:29 PM
I am saddened to hear the news of Adam Yauch's death. Adam Yauch was also known as MCA and he was a great musician, hip hop megastar, humanitarian, documentary filmmaker, writer and artist. I first heard the sound of the Beastie Boys wafting through the air while walking by Gladding Residence Center at Virginia Commonwealth University. I remember thinking---who is that? They are funky! I went out and bought Licensed to Ill and became hooked. I explored their punk rock roots and watched them grow musically over the years. I first saw them open for Run DMC when they were beyond wild. They had female dancers in large cages and threw beer on the audience. They grew over the years. I can still remember dragging my wife to a show in South Florida and at the end of the show she said--I never realized that they were such good performers. You had to see them to believe it. I attended the Tibetan Freedom Concert in Washington DC with my friend Emmit and it was a testament to Adam Yauch that so many talented performers would come out for his cause. MCA was also a comedian. He had an alter ego named Nathaniel Hornblower that would wear lederhosen and knee high wool socks. He was one of a kind! The Beasties were recently inducted into the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame and unfortunately Adam was not able to attend. I know that he found great satisfaction that 3 Jewish punk kids from New York City were being recognized as innovators in the music world. I am thankful that MCA has left a library of music that will always make me smile and do the wap.
"To Send My Rhymes Out To All Nations
Like Ma Bell, I've Got The Ill Communications"
We lost a great man today.
RIP Adam Yauch
You will never be forgotten.

P of R
05-04-2012, 03:52 PM
It sucks. It's not right...

Parkey
05-04-2012, 03:54 PM

I don't know what else to say.

mikizee
05-04-2012, 03:56 PM
Gutted.

Just last night I was driving home from work and started thinking about MCA and Beastie Boys. So sad.

This board has been a big part of my life, so my first thought was to come here too.

*group hug*

Schmeltz
05-04-2012, 04:06 PM
All I can say is that I've been a fan of the Beasties since the Check Your Head era, when I was just a little kid, and that throughout my own exploration of their musical evolution, it's always been Yauch's lyrics that I've found the most inspirational. His personal discovery and interpretation of the Buddhist philosophy, and the manner in which he's translated it into both his music and his personal life, is something that I have looked up to for many years, to say nothing of his compassionate, humanitarian activism. He's a consummate example for anyone who wishes to turn their life and their human perspective around, and I'll always be grateful for the way he used his success to show others the possibilities that lie within themselves.

So good luck, MCA. Namaste.

Nothing else I can really add, except to say how shattered I felt when I read the news this morning. The world has lost not just a great artist, but a great soul. RIP Yauch.

mickill
05-04-2012, 04:16 PM
He lived an incredible life. And if one of his less celebrated achievements was the part he played in creating a community for people like us to come together and build friendships, argue, laugh, hate each other, leave, come back, and make fun of padster in...that's still pretty awesome. Fuck you, cancer.

RobMoney$
05-04-2012, 04:35 PM
I never considered for one minute the music would ever stop.

BGirl
05-04-2012, 04:37 PM
Such a sad day but heartwarming to see everyone coming together here. I think Yauch (as he was known here on the boards) would smile at that.

Caribou
05-04-2012, 04:44 PM
Hey there old friends.

Holy shit, I'm devastated. I've never been this upset by a celebrity death before. Seems that Yauch has meant a lot more to me than I thought.

Like Rob said: I never thought it would end. Not like this anyway.

Documad
05-04-2012, 04:47 PM
I never considered for one minute the music would ever stop.

I thought I had prepared myself for this, but it turns out I was fooling myself.

saz
05-04-2012, 04:59 PM
"Last night, I took a 14 hour flight to Sydney, Australia from LA, embarking on PE's 80th tour in 25 years. I just landed to 65 texts with the news. Adam and the Boys put us on our first tour 25 years and 79 tours ago. They were essential to our beginning, middle and today. Adam especially was unbelievable in our support from then 'til now, even allowing me to induct them into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I consider myself a strong man and my father says be prepared to lose many in your post-50 path of life. Still, I'm a bit teary-eyed leaving this plane. R.I.P. Adam aka MCA."

http://globalgrind.com/entertainment/chuck-d-responds-adam-yauchs-death-details

TOY
05-04-2012, 05:10 PM
Go figure it'd be me on the crapper, reading then SCREAMING "Fuck, NOOO" and my boss coming to the door asking what was wrong (she, too - devastated).

Like the rest of you said, my first reaction was to hop on here (but I couldn't at work).

I haven't felt this bummed since Strummer's passing. It is numbing. I can't make sense of it.

What breaks my heart more is the only time I saw them live - with my then "BFF" - who I miss every-fucking-day. We're Fb buddies, sure. She's reached out to me a few times to chill/catch up. I've neglected her, though not on purpose.

If it weren't for her, I never would've enjoyed my years of trolling this board. I never would have had the pleasure to hear and see the boys. I never would have connected with a few here I genuinely give a shit about.

I feel awful about Adam's death. And the fight he fought, he truly fought. Fuck you, cancer. But it's just.. Bittersweet for me. More bitter. I miss my friend, my partner in crime. The Beastie Boys kept the fantasy alive that I could turn back time and make it right again someday, but I'm afraid it is just fantasy, now.

Go easy, step lightly - stay free, MCA. You did the world a lot of good.

RobMoney$
05-04-2012, 05:13 PM
I'm just sitting here thinking "What now?"

Who's gonna fill that role model void in my life now?

Anyone else?

TAL
05-04-2012, 05:15 PM
Goodbye Adam, you were a good man.

cosmo105
05-04-2012, 05:20 PM
without the beastie boys i never would have met some of my closest friends, including the one that introduced me to the man that i would marry. i had one wall of my bedroom covered almost entirely from my bed to the ceiling with beastie posters, clippings, magazine covers and more in high school. it's all still up there today. heart sank to my feet when i heard the news.

took for granted the thought that they'd all be around forever. life is short and precious and death is shitty and permanent. sad that an awesome person was taken from this world today.

Dorothy Wood
05-04-2012, 05:28 PM
He was a good man, his spirit and influence will live on. Love and peace to everyone.

Beckalina
05-04-2012, 05:51 PM
:( devastated.

my life would have been very different without Yauch.

NicRN77
05-04-2012, 05:52 PM
I hope everyone is doing ok. I've been spending my day listening to the Beasties, reminiscing about the past. I've cried, I've laughed...isn't that what it's all about? Sad to know the Beasties will never put out another album or tour...but I'm so happy for the memories.

scotty
05-04-2012, 05:54 PM
Will be pumpin' the stereo loud today, in memory of the man who had a great deal of influence on how I live my life today.

Alsolutely gutted.

insertnamehere
05-04-2012, 06:13 PM
it's been quite awhile... like many of you said, the bbmb was one of the first things that came to mind. i feel pretty ridiculous right now over how upset i am, and i don't think that any of my real world friends will understand.

the one thing i'm really grateful for is that i got to see them live in NYC in 07 at one of the gala events. it's the only live show i made it to, and it couldn't have been any better.

tpk
05-04-2012, 06:24 PM
this is all very surreal and my heart goes out to all of adam's family and friends and to everyone he's influenced with his music and presence including me. i've met so many great people and made some great friends through working with the beastie boys and being a fan, especially from this board. he's changed all our lives in some way or another and our memories of him will live on forever.

the past isn't gone and for that i'm forever thankful.

Tzar
05-04-2012, 06:25 PM
+1 for totally gutted. i feel like a big part of my musical experiences have just stopped and cannot continue; like as if, mike and adam are dead too? it's such a surreal feeling and i can't shake it.

can't even think... all bboys cds in the car, ASAP.

yeahwho
05-04-2012, 06:29 PM
I just keep remembering the first time I heard,

Now here's a little story I've got to tell
About three bad brothers you know so well
It started way back in history
With Adrock, M.C.A., and me - Mike D

Such an impact on my life. Adam was bad ass right out of the gate. And right up til the end, that Make Some Noise Video which is more wild than Fight for your Right.

You can take it the bank I'll be making some noise tonight, in between tears and unlike most others out there in the musical world, I have all the supercool memories of you crazy nutcases.

Thanks Adam, rip, love to the boys and the family.

DandyFop
05-04-2012, 06:34 PM
Great review of Yauch's life on MTV right now, watch here - http://www.mtv.com/videos/misc/766061/adam-yauch-remembering-a-beastie-boy.jhtml#id=1684534

I remember going to their concert for the first time, the Jam Master Jay tribute...I was so excited to be able to do the call and answer - WHAT'S TIME TIME? IT'S TIME TO GET ILL!

Michelle*s_Farm
05-04-2012, 06:41 PM
I am so terribly sad. He was such a good man and inspiration.

ms.peachy
05-04-2012, 06:46 PM
No words. Such a loss.

bgirl forever!!
05-04-2012, 07:01 PM
I am so horribly saddened my Adam's passing. RIP Adam. You will be greatly missed!!!:(

Caribou
05-04-2012, 07:02 PM
Just found my old Beastie folder on my laptop. Over 600 pictures...
It reminds me of the time I collected absolutely anything Beastie related. I even sat by my VCR waiting for the little snippets on MTV News so I could record them talking for about 10 seconds.
They introduced me to so many other bands and artists that I still love listening to today. Lucious Jackson, Money Mark, Minor Threat (The 'screaming at a wall' cover they did on the sabotage video blew my mind!)... Anything on Grand Royal was the coolest thing in the world to me.

I also remember watching one particular concert video of them every day before and after school. It was filmed in Glasgow, during their Hello Nasty tour, and about halfway through they put down their mics and picked up their instruments. The version of Sabrosa they did then was amazing. That bassline!... And I couldn't stop watching Yauch play it. He was so focussed...
It made me practice on my own bass more.

And then his voice... *sigh* I love that rough sound. I often fell asleep listening to "I don't know" on a loop. I've been listening to it a lot tonight...

Even after my adolescent fangirling wore off I still remained incredibly fond of them. I saw them live in Amsterdam, joined the BBMB and got to know all you lovely people. I know I'm not close friends with any of you, but I still care. I read what you guys are up to on fb and I feel connected, just because we have the love for a band in common. No other band has ever done that (Not for me at least).

So, I just want to let you guys know that I care about you and I hope you're all ok. I'm sending love and hugs to whoever needs it.

b-grrrlie
05-04-2012, 07:14 PM
I have been crying for hours my head aches. I went out to a gig to see my friends play, but couldn't enjoy it properly (but it helped me to get out of the house).
Yauch ment so much to me, musically, spiritually, socially. I'm so greatfull I had a chance to see Beasties 20 times and meet my main man several times and he was always so wonderful! I've got so many memories to remember him by (and even an olive pit that he spat out in Belfast...), he will never leave my heart. I feel deeply sorry for his family, it must be terrible for them.
I just wanna say Thank You Yauch for being a big part of my life! <3

tpk
05-04-2012, 07:23 PM
it's amazing after going through all the posts in this thread to see all the people that's been here since forever. very nostalgic and none of this would had been if not for what yauch, adam and mike have done and kept doing for all these years.

thank you all for all the memories.

mikizee
05-04-2012, 07:47 PM
Here's a good write up by an Australian journalist/blogger/bboys fan named Marieke Hardy-

Link (http://t.co/pgAtMNFf)

spockon
05-04-2012, 07:53 PM
:(...it's a very sad day today - been a fan of the boys since forever ago...and i know what you mean - his voice really stood out - and 'i don't know' - one of my FAVORITE songs - i can listen to it over and over again...i find that i do whenever i hear it - i'll hit replay several times over! i feel very sad for his family and friends for having lost him - 47 is too young to die...he will be missed greatly...

iceygirl
05-04-2012, 07:56 PM
Devastating. xoxo ommmnamastepeacenlove

ToucanSpam
05-04-2012, 08:00 PM
This sucks. I'm glad to see everyone coming here to express their feelings about bbmb and MCA. This place is special.

Kid Presentable
05-04-2012, 08:44 PM
Hi guys. It's a million times realer seeing all the lapsed heads come back here to post. I woke up at 7am, checked my phone and saw the news. It's crazy. Such a good man, such profound impact.

Pres Zount
05-04-2012, 08:59 PM
I'm almost guilty about how sad I am, knowing that I can never match how upset his close friends and family must be. I never thought I would be this devastated by someone I never knew personally - even though someties it felt like I did. I didn't think I would cry about this until it started happening.

Yauch has been a real impact on the path my life has taken, and I thank him for it. Some of the best moments and memories in my life have been because of the Beastie Boys.

Peace to all his family, friends, fans, and all of the BBMB.

insertnamehere
05-04-2012, 09:01 PM
So I told my bf over dinner that I'm pretty legitimately sad over this. He totally doesn't get it. He told me he's sorry that a "really old, almost singer" that I've never met died...

He left after dinner to go work on a final project thing. I'm going to use this alone time to drink, listen to BBoys and cry.

ericlee
05-04-2012, 09:26 PM
I heard the news while I was driving and I was in tears. What a struggle.

I appreciate alt nation on Sirius xm for giving him the constant props he deserved.

Thank you, Yauch for all you have done. RIP, MCA.

M.C. Guevera
05-04-2012, 09:41 PM
It still feels unreal...

befsquire
05-04-2012, 10:50 PM
absofuckinglutely terrible :(

kll
05-04-2012, 10:57 PM
this is all very surreal and my heart goes out to all of adam's family and friends and to everyone he's influenced with his music and presence including me. i've met so many great people and made some great friends through working with the beastie boys and being a fan, especially from this board. he's changed all our lives in some way or another and our memories of him will live on forever.

the past isn't gone and for that i'm forever thankful.

(y)

I sent wine to a 17-year-old because of Adam Yauch. WTF.

M|X|Y
05-04-2012, 11:30 PM
lit a pack of thunderbombs off for yauch tonight

DandyFop
05-04-2012, 11:32 PM
It really hit me, talking to someone in the bar tonight about it. As I drove home I was crying thinking and trying to find ANY station that was playing them. Sure enough I found someone playing all their hits and not stopping. Then it really hit me...this is a tribute for something that is over. The Beastie Boys will never perform again. It's just too fucking much to think about. I always had that in my head, that I'd be seeing them again in a year or two. And now that will never happen.

Until they bust out that hologram thing and we all die of barfing.

It's so fun to see everybody, it's such a ridiculous cast of characters here. Ahhhhh. fuck.

DIGI
05-04-2012, 11:50 PM
Worst day of my life, musically. The end of what you know. The loss of a champion.

yeahwho
05-04-2012, 11:50 PM
You guys are awesome, today has been "Like a pinch on the neck from Mr Spock".

I'm a mess.

LATimes Adam Yauch: A Beastie Boy tamed by age and wisdom (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2012/05/an-appreciation-age-wisdom-tamed-beastie-boy-adam-yauch.html)

It's been such a blast,

Oh Yes Indeed, It's Fun Time
'Cause You Can't, You Won't And You Don't Stop
MCA Came And Rocked The Sure Shot

venusvenus123
05-05-2012, 02:04 AM
I'm almost guilty about how sad I am, knowing that I can never match how upset his close friends and family must be. I never thought I would be this devastated by someone I never knew personally - even though someties it felt like I did. I didn't think I would cry about this until it started happening.

I remember thinking this last night. Feeling bad that I was feeling so gutted, but trying to find space in my heart for his wife, daughter, family and his friends. I was surprised that I cried for a bit.

It's hard to put so much of what he meant to so many into words. His basslines were badass till the very end.

Love you Yauch. I baked banana bread for you yesterday.

*hugs* to all here. It's good to see you. Thanks to the BB for bringing me together with many fine people. :)

adrockmikedmca
05-05-2012, 02:07 AM
Can we have an official, unofficial memorium for MCA on BROOKLYN Bridge this Sunday May 6... Someone must have access to some speakers, a mic and some words to say to adam... bring flowers we can decorate the bridge with love and boddhisatva vow for the man who started it all....

What time is good on Sunday... Wear your Beastie's shirts this weekend NYC... lets all get together UNITE...

Is there anything official for MCA going on in NYC... im making the voyage to pay some homage and would love to be somewhere where we can unite our thoughts and prayers for he believed in the power of meditation and sending vibes .. lets send him on his way with all our vibes this day......

M.C. Guevera
05-05-2012, 02:11 AM
Until they bust out that hologram thing and we all die of barfing.

You just know, to lighten the mood, Mike D and Adrock probably joked about using a hologram MCA to go on tour with.

Yorkshire~Rose
05-05-2012, 04:19 AM

(y)
Still can't quite believe it. The outpouring of grief and togetherness on facebook, twitter and here has really touched me though.

na§tee
05-05-2012, 04:21 AM
it really is great to see so many people back here. this place has been part of my life give or take since 1998, which has seen me through school, university, and some semblance of adulthood. it's fair to say bbmb has been a big, big influence and a great help at times, too. some wise words have come from here. you're all pretty neat. group hug.

is there somewhere official to send condolences, thoughts etc? i feel like i should write something proper but can't quite put it into the correct words just yet.

love to yauch's family and friends <3

mikizee
05-05-2012, 05:12 AM
At a house party, we are BLASTING Beastie Boys so loud 3 suburbs away can probably hear us.

I'm pretty drunk, and I think his death is actually starting to hit me.

Fuck

synch
05-05-2012, 05:22 AM

Kid Presentable
05-05-2012, 05:25 AM

2LonelyBeasties
05-05-2012, 05:39 AM
I have been a fan for nearly 2 *decades and I am deeply saddened over the loss of Adam....From Lollapalooza '94 until present, Beastie Boys tracks have been emanating from the tape decks/CD players/ipods of my house and car. On one occasion, I was playing "Paul Revere" so loud in my car that the reverse bass of the song blew out a very expensive subwoofer. Every time I hear a Beastie Boys song, I can relate it to some memorable time in my life when it was playing. My kids even sing along with me every time I play "Licensed to Ill". I was just telling my boyfriend that I would love to see Beastie Boys in concert again and that if and when a Philly tour date was announced that we were definitely going no matter how much tickets cost...This bad news really sucks! It really makes me upset to know that i won't be able to see one of my favorite groups perform together ever again:(
Rest in Peace MCA - You will be missed so much by so many
My sincere condolences to Mike D., Ad-Rock, and the Yauch family

Sympathetically yours,

Dawn

miss soul fire
05-05-2012, 05:43 AM
I still can't believe he's gone. I had too much work yesterday, so I only got the news like 4 hours later. I'm still in shock and very sad. It was weird that I felt sad suddenly for no reason before hearing the news. I didn't know why my mood suddenly changed. I still had a dream of meeting all the b-boys one day. Call me a dreamer. I listen to them nearly everyday in my car going or coming back to work and until today they bring a smile to my face with their videos and lyrics. The Beastie Era was the happiest time of my life. MCA will always be remembered and loved.:(

Michelle*s_Farm
05-05-2012, 06:01 AM
http://vimeo.com/25222957

Kid Presentable
05-05-2012, 06:07 AM
I posted a status update on fb Friday night which was basically a paraphrase of MCA's throwing up on the rollercoaster thing from the 2009 press stuff. It's unbelievable that less than 12 hours later I would be waking to the news of dude's death.

AdRockGRL
05-05-2012, 06:32 AM
It's like 4 years since I logged on this forum last time (even tho' I constantly kept an eye on the website).
I had many friends here and I don't even know if they are still around, if there is any chance to retake contact with 'em...
Of course the bad news brought me to revisit and check the forum again...
Anyway...
The death of Adam Yauch shocked me deeply, even if it was something that could be taken in consideration. The thing that disturbs me the most, right now, is the sure and sudden popping up of people who had no idea who he was, what he's been doing, or that didn't knew anything about the band at all... And even worse... all those who will publish pictures with him just to say "I've been there". I have my own, I have my autograph and I have a video on youtube taken by a friend while I was talkin' to him. It doesn't matter... More than that I have respect for the death of a person that was not only a "superstar" to take photos to or ask questions. I will never forget the wiseness of his glance, when I met him and had chance to talk to him. That was a great chance.

Peace.

Praying Mantis
05-05-2012, 07:02 AM
I've been to every concert theyve had in Philly and 2 in the NYC. It's hard to put in words how the Beasties have influenced me and my life. My first purchase on this website was the challah tee shirt for my 2 yr old daughter.

I don't know what else to say to express my condolences to the Yach and Beastie Boys family. Only...

oowah oowah is my disco call

Guy Incognito
05-05-2012, 07:31 AM
Yep.

I've never had tears from the death of a "celebrity" before.

Same here, it felt a bit silly at first but i guess even though i never got close to meeting him, he had been part of my (and millions of others) life.

What has been nice is my friends getting in touch, including people i havent been in touch with for ages, as they all know i'm a fan and they thought to say something nice yesterday.

A death always brings back lots of feelings from my past and i cant help but hope that his family and friends are dealing with this ok.

cosmo105
05-05-2012, 08:17 AM
^seriously. I started looking at pictures of Yauch with his wife and daughter, and then a bunch of old photos of the boys that I remembered cutting out of magazines and taping to my wall, and my heart just sank so low. Everything about them was always just so great, so positive, so funny and fun and silly and creative. I hadn't been a big fan of their work over the last few years and have gotten into other things but they hold such a special place in my heart, and like Dandy said, knowing that I'll never have the immense pleasure of seeing them live again is awful.

HEIRESS
05-05-2012, 08:41 AM
http://vimeo.com/25222957

I'd forgotten about this amazing song, thanks for reminding us!

Randetica
05-05-2012, 10:57 AM
celebrating my sister's b day today sucked, feeling that huge stone in my stomach over the whole time..

i think atleast mike and adam should promise us to never die :(

Michelle*s_Farm
05-05-2012, 11:04 AM
celebrating my sister's b day today sucked, feeling that huge stone in my stomach over the whole time..

i think atleast mike and adam should promise us to never die :(

Yes, I need that promise as well :(

gbsuey
05-05-2012, 12:58 PM
I took my kids today to the opening day of a new skatepark, mixed emotions really, mostly incredible pride and happiness as the day was soundtracked by the Beasties. It was special, but i still can't believe he's gone.

Ok.....happiness is a bit strong, but it has helped.

M.C. Guevera
05-05-2012, 02:32 PM
Once again I'm reminded never to take any one for granted, because they can be gone before you know it.

HEIRESS
05-05-2012, 02:38 PM
I asked for them to Sticky this thread!

thegoodmrbrodie!
05-05-2012, 02:44 PM
not sure what to say. it's all been said really, just thought i should say something. hope you are all doing ok.

HEIRESS
05-05-2012, 03:01 PM
If anyone is interested we also have a bbmb group on facebook...

Randetica
05-05-2012, 03:09 PM

2 even

Baseline
05-05-2012, 06:10 PM
Can someone please wake me up 'cos I'm so unprepared for this. During the last couple of years, it has never even crossed my mind that Yauch could die. That simply wasn't an option. From the moment I've heard about his illness up until yesterday, it's always been "what can we do to help Adam", "Is he cured already?", and so on. It wasn't the question whether or not he's gonna beat the cancer, it was only the question of when. I was one of many who were meditating every day, sending him a positive, healing energy... I'm confused. Why, why?
I know that everything in universe should be in some sublime order, but I can't comprehend that right now. I'm so angry! I'm angry at the medicine, at the world, at god itself! Life really sucks sometimes. Sigh .. I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I'll take a walk into the wood later tonight and I'll scream from the top of my lungs. :|
My condolences to his family, to Adam and Mike, and to all of you. Maybe he didn't have a long life yet he surely had a happy life, just look how many friends he had :)

After all, people like him, unique individuals who gave so much to others, can't really die. He'll be with us forever. I honestly believe in that.

kaiser soze
05-05-2012, 06:33 PM
wish I could give adrock, mike d, and yauch's family a hug right now

I can't imagine what loss they are feeling right now

sjp
05-05-2012, 06:40 PM

I'm interested. and RIP MCA always my favorite beastie i got more rhymes than i got grey hairs

Miho
05-05-2012, 07:22 PM
He was a wonderful man and a talented musician/rapper.

I'm at a loss of words, really.

Rest in Peace, Adam.

Videodrome
05-05-2012, 08:39 PM
It's been a year since I last visited here. I found out about Yauch while I was at work. I tried to tell 2 fellow coworkers about it but was becoming visibly choked up. They kind of looked at me like I was nuts. I'm 34yrs old and the Beasties have been the soundtrack to my life. I will miss Adam and my heart goes out to his family, friends and fans.

Stupid
05-06-2012, 03:46 AM

So sad

Matt
05-06-2012, 04:12 AM
Sucks that it took a death to bring the family back together.

Yauch's death has hit me harder than any other celebrity death by far. I feel like I lost a friend. I looked up to him. He was one of the very few people, famous or not, that I could call a hero. I loved everything he stood for. When the news hit me, I just fucking broke down and cried. I'm still reeling from it, and will be for a while.

Aside from that, I missed you guys. Keep in touch?

M.C. Guevera
05-06-2012, 05:19 AM
Most users ever online was 1,825, 05-04-2012 at 12:47 PM.

Wow, we really are all coming back.

Yetra Flam
05-06-2012, 11:07 AM
It's just so damn sad, still such a young man. It just isn't fair! Why do amazing, wonderful people have to be taken away before their time from such an evil disease? I guess I didn't have much of an idea of how sick he was, I thought it was a treatable form of cancer - reminded me of my mom, I never knew how sick she was until she was just gone.
Like a lot if you, I immediately thought of this place and how many peoples lives he's directly and indirectly affected.
He was a man with so much love, I will never understand why things like this happen.

avignon
05-06-2012, 05:09 PM

little j
05-06-2012, 06:51 PM
still very sad. I haven't been near a computer i could post on until now. im thankful so thankful i got to see them livea few years back. its now a concert experience i'll always cherish.

i'm so glad my kiddo loves the bboys and i will always keep them in heavy roatation so he'll love them forever. he's almost two and he's loved them since he was bouncing around to them inside my womb. his current favorite is "the robot song" (intergalactic)

rest in peace MCA. you will be sorely missed

roosta
05-06-2012, 06:54 PM

what's the name/address?

Caribou
05-06-2012, 07:13 PM
what's the name/address?

This is one of 'em:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/2230765593/

and there's this one:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/134779073267174/

jennyb
05-06-2012, 07:13 PM
This thread helped, a little...I've missed you guys... with each passing minute it sinks in deeper and deeper - Yauch is gone. I literally shake my head like, what?! Ever since his diagnosis, I've been in complete denial. Friday was a reality check of massive proportion. I'm forever indebted to him and this band for so much joy in my life. I don't know, I could just babble randomly right now. I just wanted to drop in and say 'hi guys' and love to you all. Enjoy today and every moment. Life is short. Make it count.

-T-
05-06-2012, 08:13 PM

Again. "celebrity" death has never bothered me until now.

Bitchamachacha
05-06-2012, 08:48 PM
I Feel like I've lost a great friend.

He was there for me when I was up, and there for me when I was down. He made me dance, laugh, sing, try to rap (terribly) and stood by my side through song when I was having some of my best times. I never met him, but he was my friend through music for 24 long and amazing years.

Rest well, Mr. Hornblower. Thank you.

And much love to all of you.

Matt
05-06-2012, 09:58 PM
This is one of 'em:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/2230765593/

and there's this one:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/134779073267174/

I joined the first one. Hope that's alright with y'all.

Baseline
05-07-2012, 06:59 AM
Yesterday in Serbia, National elections on all levels...
Triple Trouble (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZODq5fJ-Kwo&feature=player_embedded)

Echewta
05-07-2012, 09:43 AM
Wow. Look at everyone from the past...

tpk
05-07-2012, 09:46 AM
Wow. Look at everyone from the past...it is quite amazing.

birdfloatindown
05-08-2012, 11:38 AM
I never saw them live and now I will always regret it. I was going to go, back in, I believe it was 2000, when they were supposed to play Giants Stadium, with Rage Against The Machine, but then Mike D had his bike accident and they canceled it. I never got around to seeing them and it kills me.

And it wasn't until about 2 weeks ago, that I realized that Yauch was still battling cancer. When that report came out last year that he was all clear, I believed it, but I didn't realize that it was false and that he had put a statement out, a few days later, saying that he was still battling it. I remembered that the boys were being inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, so I googled to see how the ceremony went, and I was stunned to see that Yauch didn't go. His death is very sad, for many reasons, but one reason so many people are so upset about it, is that the Beastie Boys represented youth. Eternal youth. And to see one of them die so young, it's unspeakably sad.

Everyone who was fortunate enough to see them live, be grateful. This is a harsh reminder that I must make sure to see Paul McCartney, before it's too late.:(

NicRN77
05-08-2012, 12:07 PM
today still just as sad as Friday. :(

Caribou
05-08-2012, 12:47 PM
His death is very sad, for many reasons, but one reason so many people are so upset about it, is that the Beastie Boys represented youth. Eternal youth. And to see one of them die so young, it's unspeakably sad.

Yeah, I think that might be part of it. Whenever I listen to them I feel like I'm a teenager again.

And I'm also not done with all my crying. It's so strange, I've never felt this sad over any celebrity death before and never understood when other people were. But I get it now. I'm fine in the day and listen to the Beasties music with joy, but at night the tears start coming again. Yesterday was quite bad as it also made me think of the 3 people that I saw battling (and losing) with cancer last year and it's sad to think of Yauch in that state. And I'm sad for Adam and Mike and the things they must be feeling right now.
I comfort myself with the thought that at least Yauch isn't in pain any more and that he has led a good life that inspired so many.

MC Moot
05-08-2012, 01:16 PM
First the shock, then the overwhelming sadness and now I feel the descent into a episode of deep depression...I tried the drink, I tried the smoke, I tried prayer, quiet reflection and meditation, I tried to freak out with him cloned on the headphones, he loved it when we spazzed out all alone...I give thanks for him, I praise god for the 5 times I caught them live, the influence, the big ideas and the beats that made me a better man...the paths of discovery they sent me down...this feels exactly like a familial loss to me...surpasses anything being a “fan” might entail...I hurt...peace be unto all of you who share this ache, this deep kick,this deeply emotional appreciation...

Love,Moot

HEIRESS
05-08-2012, 01:36 PM
I joined the first one. Hope that's alright with y'all.

Yep, that is the most active one.

jennyb
05-08-2012, 01:49 PM
today still just as sad as Friday. :(

I feel worse. Friday was just numb, dumbfounded disbelief for me. The grief storm then slowly moved in and by now it's overcome me. I was such a dope in my work meeting yesterday. I wanted to explain my absent-mindedness but no one (but you guys) would get it. Paul and I don't even exchange words really about it anymore, it's just mutually understood silence and hugs. Our baby boy snaps us out of it when we play with and care for him. I've decided my new motto is gonna be "WWYD". Yep.

NicRN77
05-08-2012, 02:53 PM
Last night I was out at a bar with friends. Was chatting with my friend's boyfriend who is a huge Beastie fan. We were practically crying in our beers. We told stories about Beastie shows...what our favorite tunes are...memories and such. I really feel a piece of me has died. :( If I'm this sad I can only imagine Yauch's friends, family, Adam and Mike how they must be feeling.

avignon
05-10-2012, 03:48 AM
I wanted to say something deep and meaningful and sensitive but I'm not sure how to express my thoughts. First, I lost my dad last year and that overwhelming grief has made every other feeling about anything seem less intense.
Most of the people who post here are really into music, know a lot about it, and seem to incorporate it into their lives. That's not me. I don't know much about music, I just like what I like when I hear it. I rarely bother to learn performers names or even song titles. "Background" music gets on my nerves. If I need to listen to music, then I sit quietly and listen to it and that's all I do. The music I choose is extrordinarily personal to me and affects me in a way that I can't begin to explain. Most of the time, a piece of music that I enjoy is enough and I don't need to know much about who performed it or anything else. Once in awhile I become consumed with a certain artist's entire body of work, like I did with the Beastie Boys.
Quite a few years ago now, I was going through a dibilitating depression. For months, the only thing I could stand to do was walk and listen to the Beastie Boys. So that's all I did, for hours at a time, every day, for days on end. When I began to feel a little better, I started browsing the internet and I stumbled onto this message board. Consequently, I got to know some people who I would never have met otherwise. I'm not crediting being a member here or a fan of the Beastie Boys as curing my depression but it was part of the process. I recently moved to Amsterdam to live with someone I met on this board. So it's not a huge leap to say that my love of the Beastie Boys music has impacted my life in a very real way. So thank you.

bigblu89
05-11-2012, 10:00 PM
Lot of names in this tread that really bring me back to when i was posting on here everyday.

This one really hurt. Only celebrity death that I actually had an emotional reaction to. Combine it with watching the RnR Hall Of Fame that weekend, and it was a tough few days.

All we can really do is keep listening, and try our best to introdue the Beasties to as many new fans as possible.

mikizee
05-12-2012, 05:17 AM
Yeah I think I'm actually more depressed and sadder about his death now than the day I found out he died.

Just coming to terms with it. Never felt this way about an artist or celebrity's death before. Well, maybe Phil Hartman. But this is still way worse.

ms.peachy
05-12-2012, 05:43 AM
Mr.peachy's been quite bummed out this whole week. I'm kind of surprised how hard it's hit him. Not that I thought he didn't care - I know he does, very much - more that I didn't expect it would bring him quite so down, in a sort of physical way, if that makes any sense? I'm sure it's partly the hint of his own mortality: the only other times I've seen him get really laid low by a famed person's death was with Joey Ramone and with Joe Strummer, but they were both that half-generation older. He said (paraphrasing the conversation here) "Those guys were like older cousins or something, guys that when you are growing up you think they're really cool and you hope they notice you and will let you hang out with them and not tell you to 'get lost, kid.' But Yauch is one of my guys: one of the kids who grew up in and around NYC getting into all kinds of shit that was part of the trickle-down from the whole Lower East Side NY/English punk 70's thing mixed up with the 80's rap thing with all kinds of great college radio stuff that was going on back when 'alternative' actually meant scrappy guys who toured the country sleeping in vans and playing $5 shows at whatever crappy venue would have them. And it really really sucks that he's gone."