PDA

View Full Version : if you could open up your own business

M|X|Y
05-17-2012, 02:47 PM
what would you call it

(inspired by a list i found an old notebook that i don't remember writing or know what its about)

international house of napkins
pickle palace
shoelace-mart
flashlight farm
doorknob delight
paperclip paradise
the statue store

MC Moot
05-17-2012, 03:07 PM
I would like to buy a few acres outside of the city limits and open a Drive In Movie Theatre that operates on the weekends only...we would also have a concession stand where I would sell homemade meatball subs and fried chicken...it would be much more than just a night at the movies,it would be a happenin'...

ProfJIM
05-17-2012, 03:16 PM
I would run a board game/tabletop game store called The Fortress.

Homsar
05-17-2012, 05:41 PM
My ex-girlfriend and I were going to open up a record/clothes/art shop in the Wicker Park area of Chicago a few years back. I think we were going to call it "Torso Corso" after the Lizzy Mercier Descloux song. She wanted to have the store look like the old east village of New York during the late 70's, early 80's with an emphasis on the No-Wave scene.

It would have worked out if the store location we wanted was actually in Wicker Park as it was advertised. We went to check it out and it ended up being further down from Wicker Park in Bucktown, which had no foot traffic and abandoned shops all around. It was a horrible location. I'm not sure how that independent video rental store remained open for so long there.

But, if I opened up my own store...it would be a bookstore and I'd be like the guy from Black Books. I'd have no name for the store.

jackrock
05-17-2012, 06:24 PM
Afro-Zen Yogurt.

yeahwho
05-17-2012, 06:29 PM
yeahwhos boutique.

little j
05-17-2012, 06:49 PM
fried red potatoes.

gourmet potato dishes yo.

Mae
05-17-2012, 07:03 PM
Bookstore/Diner

Bob
05-17-2012, 07:20 PM
wolmert

HEIRESS
05-17-2012, 08:38 PM
I am playing around with the idea of opening my own food truck.

The closer I get to my EI running out, the more serious I'll probably get about it...

Pres Zount
05-18-2012, 03:31 AM
Crazy Joe's Bargain Emporium Warehouse Mart. :mad:(y)

Or

I always wanted to open a book store and call it Red Books. Not because of Black Books, unfailingly enough. It would sell Left wing literature and the like, and it would also always be in the red, financial wise.

thegoodmrbrodie!
05-18-2012, 03:52 AM
i'd like to start a 24 hours breakfast spot / bar / record shop / gig venue / bowling alley / mini golf course. i think it would be a winning combo. not sure what to call it. probably a song title. "sheets of easter". "tv party". "kerosene". "good morning, captain". we'd probably also do ice cream and at least 2 members of staff would be on rollerskates.

HEIRESS
05-18-2012, 06:25 AM
I always wanted to open a book store and call it Red Books. Not because of Black Books, unfailingly enough. It would sell Left wing literature and the like, and it would also always be in the red, financial wise.

I'm going to an Anarchist Bookfair (http://www.anarchistbookfair.ca/) in Montreal this weekend :D

HEIRESS
05-18-2012, 06:26 AM
i'd like to start a 24 hours breakfast spot / bar / record shop / gig venue / bowling alley / mini golf course. i think it would be a winning combo. not sure what to call it. probably a song title. "sheets of easter". "tv party". "kerosene". "good morning, captain". we'd probably also do ice cream and at least 2 members of staff would be on rollerskates.

I've never liked places they serve food + sell any sort of goods out of the same storefront, I always feel I can smell fried onions on everything in the joint. :(

Bob
05-18-2012, 06:57 AM

there's a place like that near boston, called revolution books. according to yelp:

I guess they have a big selection of Marxist literature? It seems overpriced, though, especially the pamphlets which look like they were produced to be free, and I bet a lot of it's online.

They are usually nasty, and I haven't gone in there after finding the sole employee in the bathroom sitting on the toilet with his pants down facing the open door to the rest of the store...

Pres Zount
05-18-2012, 07:04 AM
FUCK YELP, but otherwise lol

Pres Zount
05-18-2012, 07:07 AM
I went into Wolemart not knowing what to expect, little did I know that that summer would change my life completely...

gbsuey
05-18-2012, 08:02 AM
I know this wasn't the question......(i don't reckon i'd ever open a shop/bar etc, not in this town anyways as everything is now getting closed down and pound shops and charity shops are pretty much all that's left).....

....but the best name i've heard by far for a cafe recently was Eat Me Out.

MC Moot
05-18-2012, 08:33 AM

The closer I get to my EI running out, the more serious I'll probably get about it...

Food trucks are finally blowin up here... (http://www.yycfoodtrucks.com/meet-the-trucks/)they had to battle city hall and by-law forever...(y)

KingPsyz
05-18-2012, 10:56 AM

(!):eek:(lb)(y)

Nice

I was working on a pizza/fresh breads truck called Dough Nutz but my financial backer kinda flaked... Get it... bread... flaked...

:(

KingPsyz
05-18-2012, 11:01 AM
I also wanted to one day buy a local unused movie theatre and do something like the Austin Drafthouse where you can get decent food, movies, and other events.

I wanted to turn one of the theatres into a dining space, turn another into a club venue for like cool punk rock shows, derby expos, ect.

Then take the remaining 4 theatres and theme them out.

I wanted to call it Big J's Moviehouse or Wyld Stalyns (My son's first name's are Logan and Preston, the last names of Bill and Ted...)

ProfJIM
05-18-2012, 11:19 AM
Food trucks are huge here in the Twin Cities area. Its pretty awesome.

JoLovesMCA
05-18-2012, 11:27 AM
I would open up an Empire Records and hire people just like WARREN, LUCAS, AJ, COREY, GINA, DEBRA, and MARK and of course everybody would call me Jo! They would drive me crazy but I would love it and I'd be surrounded by great music!

paul jones
05-20-2012, 01:01 PM
Tea.Biscuit and Darts Bar.

Nothing but tea and biscuits and screamo bands in the corner to throw darts at.

Caribou
05-21-2012, 05:57 PM
I've discussed opening a restaurant with my sister, which we'll either call "Wok You!" or "Wok Off!".

This is only funny in the Netherlands and when said with a very thick Dutch accent.

yeahwho
05-21-2012, 06:13 PM
I've discussed opening a restaurant with my sister, which we'll either call "Wok You!" or "Wok Off!".

This is only funny in the Netherlands and when said with a very thick Dutch accent.

We have Phucket Thai (http://a2.urbancdn.com/w/s/Mn/U6Sn5DmzK6B1tL-640m.jpg) here in Seattle.

HEIRESS
05-21-2012, 08:57 PM

Place in my home town called "Moon Wok"

BEST.

scotty
05-22-2012, 06:42 AM
I've been seriously thinking about opening a small, hole-in-the-wall coffee shop for a little while now. Ever since the hippies I worked for ran out of money because they had no clue how to run a business other than asking the universe for what they needed rather than stooping to actual hard work. And I want to work for myself, I want to do my own thing.

I want to call it 'Terms & Conditions' with actual terms and conditions for customers spelled out for them under the main sign outside the shop and on the counter so I could tap it with a pen and a cranky look when someone asked for something not covered by the terms and conditions. Stuff like, 'there is only one size of cup', 'do not ask for decaf, low fat milk or soy milk - you will not get it', 'There are no syrups - coffee is not cordial', etc. I suspect I would not get away with it, though, and I would run out of money fairly quickly so compromises would have to be made.

There also used to be a place in Melbourne (Oakleigh, I think) called 'Stacks of Slacks' which I thought was an awesome name for a pants shop, especially given that the name was misleading - the pants were hung in rows.

Kid Presentable
05-22-2012, 08:16 AM
I've been seriously thinking about opening a small, hole-in-the-wall coffee shop for a little while now. Ever since the hippies I worked for ran out of money because they had no clue how to run a business other than asking the universe for what they needed rather than stooping to actual hard work. And I want to work for myself, I want to do my own thing.

I want to call it 'Terms & Conditions' with actual terms and conditions for customers spelled out for them under the main sign outside the shop and on the counter so I could tap it with a pen and a cranky look when someone asked for something not covered by the terms and conditions. Stuff like, 'there is only one size of cup', 'do not ask for decaf, low fat milk or soy milk - you will not get it', 'There are no syrups - coffee is not cordial', etc. I suspect I would not get away with it, though, and I would run out of money fairly quickly so compromises would have to be made.

There also used to be a place in Melbourne (Oakleigh, I think) called 'Stacks of Slacks' which I thought was an awesome name for a pants shop, especially given that the name was misleading - the pants were hung in rows.

hahaha gold (y)

KingPsyz
05-22-2012, 11:47 AM

BEST.

They should buy this food truck (http://gizmodo.com/5910856/please-buy-this-space-shuttle-food-truck-and-name-it-the-crepe-canaveral/gallery/1)

Caribou
05-22-2012, 12:00 PM

BEST.

I want to go to there! <3

This sounds like an amazing idea, and I think it would definitely work. At least, it would here. You have no idea how many people come in to the starbucks I work at and want 'just coffee'.

And I picture a sort of shop Bernard Black would have if he sold coffee in stead of books, with huge signs saying "NO!" or "None of that!"

pshabi
05-22-2012, 01:15 PM
I'd open a bar and call it "The Sure Shot."

M|X|Y
05-24-2012, 11:51 AM

lol, asking the universe

They should buy this food truck (http://gizmodo.com/5910856/please-buy-this-space-shuttle-food-truck-and-name-it-the-crepe-canaveral/gallery/1)

(y) i could also see that as some sort of travelling science library for kids. they'd go wild at that

I would open up an Empire Records and hire people just like WARREN, LUCAS, AJ, COREY, GINA, DEBRA, and MARK and of course everybody would call me Jo! They would drive me crazy but I would love it and I'd be surrounded by great music!

always wanted my own music shop. i think the only way those work anymroe is to have them be combo stores... like a bar/record shop.

I would like to buy a few acres outside of the city limits and open a Drive In Movie Theatre that operates on the weekends only...we would also have a concession stand where I would sell homemade meatball subs and fried chicken...it would be much more than just a night at the movies,it would be a happenin'...

also always wanted a drive in theater. i've never been to one. do they still do the thing where you get a speaker next to your car or can you pull sound off your iphone now?

M|X|Y
05-24-2012, 12:00 PM
I'd open a bar and call it "The Sure Shot."

that name could apply to an array of businesses

sure shot driving range

sure shot firing range

sure shot photo

sure shot immunization clinic

etc etc (y)

JoLovesMCA
05-24-2012, 01:01 PM
lol, asking the universe

always wanted my own music shop. i think the only way those work anymroe is to have them be combo stores... like a bar/record shop.

also always wanted a drive in theater. i've never been to one. do they still do the thing where you get a speaker next to your car or can you pull sound off your iphone now?

I really do miss record stores. There was something cool about walking into Sound Warehouse with the music blasting and those little booths where you could listen to snippits of songs. We do that at home now so it's less interaction with music fans. shame..... :/ damn technology. Why can't we have both????

I am from Houston, the last ourdoor theater we had closed years ago.. I know some artsy areas of town that feature a small screening outside every once in awhile for special occassions.

MC Moot
05-24-2012, 01:26 PM

The last Drive In here closed years before I lived here,but it was pretty stellar in it's day when we visited,had 4 screens and miles of black top,ginormous snack bar...I remember as a kid we used to hang the speaker on the window (alway's reminds of the cover of Ill Com) but the last time I went you just tuned into a specific a.m radio frequency for the sound...drive in's are becoming extinct from the urban landscape quicker than phone booths and ashtray's...

DIGI
05-24-2012, 01:55 PM

I've dabbled too. My wife bought me a smoker for Christmas and so far, all of the assorted meats I've smoked puts panties on the floor. Also, given the city I live in, I think people would go crazy for that shit downtown. It's just hard figuring out the logistics. Gotta get my cookers commercial size, a truck, means to keep shit heated, gas, etc.

MC Moot
05-24-2012, 02:04 PM
^ohhhh...imagine a Brazilian BBQ truck... ( http://www.brazilianbbq.ca/)(lb)

Bob
05-24-2012, 02:09 PM
there's a coffee shop in a nearby town called "brewed awakenings"

i liked that a lot

DIGI
05-24-2012, 03:44 PM
Nice. I like The Daily Grind, too.